Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? (9030 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? / See What This Wife Did To Her Husband(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by omiobo: 8:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
I overheard a man saying a wife should not only claim the surname of her husband but also the state of origin.
Is a woman suppose to claim the state of origin of her husband?
Your opinion nairalanders.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2013
I believe so undecided
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by ckkris: 8:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
Yes, according to African traditions
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by omiobo: 8:41pm On Sep 07, 2013
I think so
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by nekaa(f): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2013
Yea, she is suppose to.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Tuntheycr7: 9:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
Even if she no want to. I think dtz d norms here 4naija. After marriage den na new name, new origin
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by ceosville(m): 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
Sho? I totally Disagree!

9 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by tpia5: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
does the husband no longer have an identity?

is he marrying to morph into the woman?

whats with all this claim claim all the time, smacks of desperation.

of course, to each his/her own, if you are ashamed of your state then by all means attach your spouse's state to your name.

2 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by tpia5: 9:18pm On Sep 07, 2013
omiobo: I overheard a man saying a wife should not only claim the surname of her husband but also the state of origin.
Is a woman suppose to claim the state of origin of her husband?
Your opinion nairalanders.

repeat topic. undecided
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by dave247(m): 9:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
In my church, they say state origin by marriage and by birth... U know wat dat means... Like ibos where u marry there u will lay to rest so...
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Kanwulia: 10:33pm On Sep 07, 2013
Only if you are LEGALLY MARRIED. . . AND YOUR BRIDE PRICE WAS PAID AND NEVER RETURNED!!!!! cool
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by kreamidiva(f): 11:08pm On Sep 07, 2013
I think so.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Ngokafor(f): 11:40pm On Sep 07, 2013
. ...i dont get it,i can see most posters saying that a woman can claim her husbands state of origin...all i can say is really?...

...so if an Anambra lady marries a man from say Ekiti state...she forfeits her state and adopts her husbands state?...i beg i dont think so...their kids yes but not the lady...haba what happens to her identity..cant she at least retain her fathers state at least?..

7 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ngokafor: . ...i dont get it,i can see most posters saying that a woman can claim her husbands state of origin...all i can say is really?...

...so if an Anambra lady marries a man from say Ekiti state...she forfeits her state and adopts her husbands state?...i beg i dont think so...their kids yes but not the lady...haba what happens to her identity..

Walahi, I'm in shock too o.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by tpia5: 12:18am On Sep 08, 2013
the topic is probably scam related.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by 3ace(m): 5:28am On Sep 08, 2013
As a man, that's very insignificant to me. Wetin I wan take dat one do? Why una dey talk like say na slave una buy? If she desires it, no problem but I can't force it on her.

7 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 6:04am On Sep 08, 2013
Yes. A woman adopts the husband's state of origin, Local government area and town in Nigeria. I don't know for other countries.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by ireneidiva(f): 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Fat lie. She retains her state of origin. Do you even know what 'origin' means? Where you originated from! Did u originate from your husbands place? Tired of some kind of things I see on nairaland.

14 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by xynerise: 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Fat lie. She retains her state of origin. Do you even know what 'origin' means? Where you originated from! Did u originate from your husbands place? Tired of some kind of things I see on nairaland.
Exactly my thought
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
She retains her state of origin...theres no contest abt it....or is the wife from a non existent state or family, that she switches her origins to her husband's undecided.. Even the husband family will not see you, as part of their own place , especially if the wife is from another state.. So why delude oneself about adopting the husband's origin... Doesn't make sense to me... Completely delusional sad
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
I don't know why this is such a headache undecided

Reason why Ify call us Internet Nigerians.

Yes the wife claims her husbands state of origin after marriage,( call it sheep mentality but thats the way it has been) It's a matter of choice and it's not mandatory .

See:

3ace: As a man, that's very insignificant to me. Wetin I wan take dat one do? Why una dey talk like say na slave una buy? If she desires it, no problem but I can't force it on her.

SOO is prob the least of most men's headache jare.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2013
Why should I? Can i contest for election in his Local Government?

4 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
Funny reasoning here.

Do you guys know what "origin" actually means? For those who appear confused by the term, in this context, it means "where you originated from." Even if you adopt your husband's state, it doesn't alter the fact your roots lie firmly in your State Of Birth.

A woman is supposed to claim her own State Of Origin.

If you're asked what your State Of Origin is, you mention where you where born, if you're asked what your Adopted State is, you mention that too, adopted either due to marriage or any other reason

I can almost see why people would fail exams, if such basic details cause confusion.

5 Likes

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 08, 2013
If I'm asked what my state of origin is , I mention my Fathers state of origin then my hubby's state of origin... why? because that will probably be the next question anyway: his state of origin.

It's a no brainer an Igbo lady married to a Yoruba man is from the East hence her state of origin.

Nobody ask for 'Adopted' state of origin... atleast never heard that question before.

Or maybe this just a Yoruba thing hence the contradiction?? undecided
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
Rukemi291: Why should I? Can i contest for election in his Local Government?

Yes . A woman can contest for election in her husband's State.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 08, 2013
Of course, why should a woman have an identity that wasn't defined by her husband?
She should adopt her husband's last name, state of origin, dream, family, religion,.............
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by omiobo: 1:44pm On Sep 09, 2013
Every poster has a point but there must be one point that is more convincing.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by soulglo: 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
She might as well change her first name as well to whatever her husband decides it should be after all according to most of you her identity before marriage is totally erased after she marries. You cannot put your husband's State of Origin on your legal documents. It just does not make sense.

1 Like

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by NoQualms1(f): 11:35am On Sep 11, 2013
ireneidiva: Fat lie. She retains her state of origin. Do you even know what 'origin' means? Where you originated from! Did u originate from your husbands place? Tired of some kind of things I see on nairaland.

God bless you. That's the way I have known it o. State of origin is the state you originate from. I never knew a married woman changes her state of origin to her husband's.
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by stephy10(f): 11:44am On Sep 11, 2013
Sounds rediculous to me. Yes you cnage names but for heaven's sake you dont change your DNA jare. Matter of fact, if a woman from Plateau state marries a man from Ekiti state, as far as I am concerned, the kids are half Plateau half Ekiti finish

1 Like

Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by Brennie001: 12:54am On Sep 12, 2013
Ngokafor: . ...i dont get it,i can see most posters saying that a woman can claim her husbands state of origin...all i can say is really?...

...so if an Anambra lady marries a man from say Ekiti state...she forfeits her state and adopts her husbands state?...i beg i dont think so...their kids yes but not the lady...haba what happens to her identity..cant she at least retain her fathers state at least?..
My own worry is on woman dat after marriage dont change their median name but add their husband's name at the end, e.g Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala, Okonjo here is her father's name and Iweala, her husbands name... Any suggestion pls
Re: Is A Woman Suppose To Claim The State Of Origin Of Her Husband? by ireneidiva(f): 1:13am On Sep 12, 2013
Brennie001: My own worry is on woman dat after marriage dont change their median name but add their husband's name at the end, e.g Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala, Okonjo here is her father's name and Iweala, her husbands name... Any suggestion pls
Its about choice. A woman can choose to retain her surname after marriage.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Husband Cheated With Previous Child's Mother / Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? / Photo: Parents Be Careful (viewers Discretion Strongly Adviced)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.