Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,276 members, 7,826,078 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? (12352 Views)

FGGC, Akure Cooks Pick Pads Of Students For "Ritual Purposes" / 99% Of Students Do Not Follow This Instruction And You Are One Of Them / Crowd Of Students In Night Class At Unizik, Nnewi Campus. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by eluquenson(m): 5:31pm On Sep 08, 2013
In the last decade, we have seen a proliferation of private universities in Nigeria. This is arguably a good development in Nigeria’s educational sector. However some of these universities especially the faith based ones have been accused of having some unusual regulations crafted for their students.

Their intention, they argue, is to produce disciplined, well-focused and incorruptible graduates that will lead efforts to revive the nation.
Some of these rules including banning of phones, taking permission before going outside the university. Alcohol sale and consumption are not
allowed in all of these faith-based universities, while romantic, nay amorous, relationships are not encouraged.

People are expelled and suspended for holding hands with he opposite s*x, and open admission of expelling and not admitting HIV positive people with their females students undergoing pregnancy tests before their final year examinations with an ultimate punishment of expulsion.

Covenant University, which is a private Christian University owned by Living Faith Church founded by Bishop David Oyedepo, recently released their student handbook (2013/2017). In it, the school listed a number of clothing items not allowed within the school premises. They banned
practically everything. No jeans, no short skirts, no pencil skirt, no sleeveless top, no high heels, no body hugging top/dress, minimal make-up, no face cap, no painting of nails etc..

Do you think it is appropriate for universities to regulate the dressing of students and has it improved the level of moral decadence among
youths?

2 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Richiez(m): 7:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
very interesting topic
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by FoxyRebirth(m): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2013
After trying so hard to turn students back to pupils some people are opening topics and talking about dress codes in schools. What has dress code got to do with the way our society is being run? Abeg forget moral decadence and face the issue at hand. ASUU still dey strike and students don dull for house finish. 70 days no be beans and walai, e look like say e no go finish.

Even with the way I am typing, you will know that there was nothing like dress code being imposed on me. See eh, I could code mix and code switch perfectly without you detecting anything. My English is flawless and nobody told me not to wear face cap in school.

Another thing, most of the rules stated are for the ladies. So women, over to una........

#ASUU Strike + End TImes *coughs* = Jobless topics#

5 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by jmoore(m): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2013
They should wear school uniforms.

7 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Drsheddy(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
YES
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by 1bunne4lif(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
Yes
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2013
To an extent, yes
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Drsheddy(m): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2013
nobody should write END TIME tins here o please..

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by olamidesuaj: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2013
yes
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Itoroetti(m): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2013
All professions has its ethnics of which dressing code and attitude exhibition is part of them.
Hence passing through school without some positively minded attitude permits one to ask a question of the difference between a graduate and none graduate.

I think the schools are right,just that some of the rules maynot be really ok

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by tracysparkle: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
this is a very good topic ni...then need to regulate it b4 girls start wearing bikini to school

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by eightsin(m): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
Why is this in front page?
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Odunharry(m): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
yes n no
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Lilaex: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
They have no ryt...
Plus all dose saying yes are secondary skul stdnt...
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Lilimax(f): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
With all these compliance directive, the University is no different from a Seminary/Convent School shocked.
Or is it still a circular school?

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by richybanky(m): 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
Glorify secondary skul...........mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by executinal(m): 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
Why not apply same in the church?? why only in school

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by zumarock9(m): 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
if that happens then its END
Of short skirt not time.

3 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Samsantos9: 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
NO AND YES!!!
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by mebad(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
No
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by larmu(m): 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
If i write END TIME TINZ now,they will ban me so i will not say END TIME TINZ....
Back to d question,ehh i really dont care cos am not a part of d skull,everybody has their own principle with which they live by
besides,if pple want to spoil,dey will spoil xcept u have correct spirrikoko to change dem.
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
end timez joor angry
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
Sure thing... Pls go ahead
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by enioladeran: 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2013
i believe they should.

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Mobsync(m): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2013
To an extent, yes. But some universities are going to the extreme.
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by greatgod2012(f): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2013
Any student that is well trained and who accept good training will know the right dresses to put on whether in school or not.

However, I'm highly disturbed by the private universities rules of not doing this and that, seriously, if they don't do it in the school, aren't they going to do it elsewhwere, so what is the essence? In my own opinion, I think what they need is to inculcata morals into their curriculum and from their, the students will learn the right thing to do, instead of making a school life to look like a prison life.

Hhhmmm, may God help them o.

2 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Vivly(f): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
Front page?. Dressing is already been censored in some federal universities.
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by nekaa(f): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
If it will reduce the number of stupid and uneducated undergraduates we have, then they should even give them uniforms.

2 Likes

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by Richy4(m): 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
No Adult should take away student(s) youth from them.though I do not support indecent dressing but this is their time and i believe they will out grow it. most of the sugar daddies and mummies are just "carry over" of what they should have done long time ago. regulating so many things will lead to carry overs. just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by nickz(m): 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
Noooooooooooooooooo
Re: Should Universities Regulate The Dressing Of Students? by homesteady(m): 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
Emm maybe!! Just like in UNIBEN all law students must wear black and white. And all medical and pharmacy students must dress cooperate!
Yes dressing should be regulated

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ATBU 2016/2017 Aspirants THREAD! / Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months / Bingham University, Nasarawa Bans Students From Using Smart Phones On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.