Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,073 members, 7,821,689 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road (19790 Views)

Truck Falls On Okada At Oshodi-Apapa Expressway (Photos) / Okada-Man, Student Crushed By Trailer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Okada Rider's Head Bursts Open As He Collides With Containers In Lagos (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by agrovick(m): 3:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
Oga seun tame your bulldogs sorry mods cos I dont understand the unnecessary muscle flexing. I no know y person go ban me mayb its cos we ar in the time end sha
@op, thanks even though i didnt read the post b4 posting a comment
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Gwekzy: 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2013
valmunich: So how that one take affect ASUU strike?!?
I can see foolishless is ur god..keep worshiping..
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by carlos1(m): 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2013

Mumu! Its people like u that will still fall prey after reading this
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by xynerise: 3:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
You dont mean it! shocked
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Lilaex: 3:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ghydyon: Is GEJ to be blame for this?

U sound stu*pid lyk ur question
U no get respect.??
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Longeria(m): 3:32pm On Sep 09, 2013
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by earthrealm(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Okija_juju: On my drive to Lagos, I actually experienced this first hand..

When I stopped after Head Bridge in Onitsha to take a piss, I picked a hitch hiking Policeman that needed a ride to Benin... As I was driving along, the first guy waves at my tyres and kept waving even after I had driven past. I simply took my hands of my steering and was waiting to see if my car would drift to one side and it didnt. Then a second person did the same thing. SO I said what exactly are these people pointing at and the Policeman said ignore them, they are all thieves.

Please people should be careful o!

#Singing Tony Oneweeks' - Onwa December oru be' go.. My people biko be careful...

End time things.. SORRY! END OF YEAR Things..

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL OF PICKING HITCH HIKING POLICEMEN!!!..........SOMETHING VERY NASTY HAPPENED TO SOMEONE WHO DID...ONLY GOD SAVED HIM...........as the 'policeman' dropped a hanky inside which was 5 bullets neatly wrapped.....this was a careful tot out and well hatched plan...as the next police check point after he dropped the policeman were tipped off by the supzdly hitch hiking cop.......so my broad shine ur eyes well well

if not for God that made him observe the hanky , which appeared strange to him cos he doesn't use white hanky..n on close inspection he saw the bullets..he promptly threw it out of the window.....just in time...cos at the check point...the car was thoroughly searched and he even overheard them making phone call and saying we never see the thing o!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by carlos1(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
biggiyke: I bought my first car in March 2011, a 2007 Accord. In December 2011, i drove home (Aba) for the first time from Lagos. Just after Benin bye-pass, an old man waved at me, signalling a problem with one of my right side wheels. I ignored him, but a few metres later, another man waved me in the same frantic motion. As a first time driver on that road, I had no inkling what was in store for me. I pulled over at an abandoned filling-station, walked around checking my tires only to find the right front tire oozing white smoke. It was also very hot. I panicked.

Some children selling some stuff beside directed me to a "mechanic" some metres back. He checked & proclaimed that the shaft bearing on that wheel had disintegrated resulting in grease leaking onto the disc. He said I should better hurry otherwise the car will sleep over there or be towed back to Benin or Agbor. See gobe!! This car must get to Aba today o. People are waiting to see God's blessing in my life wink. I have to get to Aba in daylight so all my neighbours will see me arrive in style. I pleaded with him to help me in any possible way he could. He made some calls to a "spare parts dealer" in Benin who said it was 40k for both front bearings. I pleaded & pleaded for a reduction in price. Besides, it was almost 3pm. I never reach Asaba sef.

After much persuasion which included pleading with the "seller" to have mercy on a fellow Ibo brother, we settled for 36k. In less than 10 minutes, the parts arrived. I had never seen a shaft bearing before so they could have shown me a bicycle bearing for all I cared. The "mechanic" & his boy fiddled around the wheels for a few minutes & I was declared good to go. Meanwhile, I knew I didnt have up to 36k on me but I just let them fix it before I told them I had only 30k on me. I promised to send the balance as soon as I get to Aba. After some fake resistance, he agreed and we exchanged numbers. He asked me to send the balance in recharge cards.

Unfortunately, I arrived Aba quite late so I couldnt show off my ride till the next morning grin. I even called the punk when i arrived thanking him & pouring blessings on him for helping & trusting a stranger. The guy just said, "Abeg no forget to send my balance". The following day I sent 6k in recharge cards across to him as promised.

On my way back to Lagos some days later, I even stopped to greet him. The bubble burst in Lagos when I narrated my ordeal to my mechanic. He said there was no way a shaft bearing could be replaced without completely removing the entire wheel assembly. I felt so stupid. He said at some point during my journey, a lubricant (grease or condemned oil) was poured onto my right front wheel. I figure this must have happened when I stopped over to eat at Benin. With high speed braking, the lubricant started smoking which is what I saw initially.

Well, I have learnt my lessons & as an experienced driver on that route, they cant try such shit on me again. I still see them make such frantic pull-over gestures every time I drive past. i simply give them the finger. Once bitten, twice shy.

Hehe! Dem chop u big time. No b ur fault sha. Thank God dev made u wiser.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by komek(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
OP, u must be a very new person alone those routes. This tricks has been On for years, and its only the ignorants that fall victim. Thank God ur car was not dismantled.

Thank you for bringing it to the house because pple who travel for xmas with their new cars are always victims around that period.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by ifyfaith: 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
are u well at all? dis is a vital information about robbery and not ASUU. If u want any info about ASUU,just check a tread related to them. thanks
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Ghydyon(m): 3:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lilaex:

U sound stu*pid lyk ur question
U no get respect.??
mista man park well,are u high on gum or coke cos i c u r out of ur senses...yabaleft is alwaz at ur disposal
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by greaterlove(m): 3:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
This trick has been on since the late eighties, another trick is for someone to throw an object at your car, God help you if you stop to check what hit your car.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by JideTheBlogger(m): 3:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
wow! Have learnt alot from this thread. Guess I need to avoid dt road when travelling home for sallah
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by eightsin(m): 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
High way Hustlers.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by dgitrader(m): 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
interesting
this thing has been in practice as far back as early 90s. i remember then along benin-0re road, alongside my father. it was a VW passat, we stoped to refuel, after which he parked some few meters away to let his engine cool off, a guy alerted us that theres oil fast leaking from beneath, i checked, confirmed and i was alarmed. but shockingly my old boy just ignored and we drove futher away some 200meters, he parked and told me to check again, this time it was suprisingly perfectly dry and normal, no single trace of leak. he informed me that its all a fraudulent mindgame employed to expliot naive drivers , amoung other similar tricks. we eventually completed the trip back and forth with no issues.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by MurderX: 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
Yes, true story - I was driving my passat then from Abuja to Lag. At gwagwalada a soldier flagged at me and on assessing him I could tell he was genuine so I picked him up and we continued on the journey. Somewhere long before lokoja someone was waving at me and pointing at my tyre but I had new tires and had thoroughly checked on it before embarking so I ignored him especially since the car was not making a sound or wobbling. I drove about 1km and a guy riding a bike one-way i.e against traffic started flaggng me down and pointing to my tyres again, I became a bit concerned and just talked it over with the soldier but before we could finish on the topic, another guy standing along the road was again pointing frantically to my tyres. At that point I had to pull over, immediately I pulled over, I saw the bike guy riding back to me again and the guy flagging me down was also closing up on me. Then I became suspicious. They walked very close to the car and were trying to tell me what was wrong with my tyres when the soldier guy alighted. Immediately they saw him they both took off, with the guy on the road joining the bike guy and both rode away together. I then wondered how they knew each other and it dawned on me that these guys were criminals.

Please DO NOT Stop indiscreminately on the expressway, locate a safe place to park to check whatever may be wrong with your car. Those guys could be up to anything.

1 Like

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by jude33084(m): 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
earthrealm: wow though as much........same thing nearly happened to my wife n i..between agbor and benin..........almost within a 19km distance...various people were waving that our tire is dancing {usually the tire near the bush - front passenger].....against my better judgement..i heeded to my wifes request that we shud stop ...we stopped after the 5th person waved us.....i came out to inspect...didnt hear/see anything.......but the person that waved us..got to the tire side b4 me..and when i got there i noticed a thick dark liquid oozing from the rotor/brake side................from my knowledge of cars...i knew a thick black fluid has no bizness coming from my front tire...as only grease [from the axle] is supzed to be there...or maybe brake fluid...........so i suspected foul play immediately and zoomed off..........he was directing me to 1 filling station that we just passed...that i shud manage to take the car there...that a mechanic will fix it............

thank God for my quick wits and car knowledge...we wud hv fallen prey to those people...who knows they could even add kidnapping to armed robbery

A lot of you guys don't know how to drive, you only know how to move a car yet you travel with it angry

If you are having a wobbling tyre you will definitely FƎƎL it on your steering wheels not roadside guys waving their hands angry

Make una learn o. wink

2 Likes

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by nickz(m): 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
@ ôp very true,some of them even go to the extent of throwing eggs at your windscreen
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by GentleMimi: 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2013
someone posted abt his encounter,just for us to learn frm his mistakes.The least u cld do is to post smfin a lil bit intelligent.I doubt if u're an undergraduate cos ur comment is dumb!

1 Like

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by FKseun(m): 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
I had my own experience in 1996 on my third journey on the Lagos-Ore-Benin road. It wasn't a funny experience. I felt terrible on realizing that I was scammed!

A friend and I were on our way back to Port Harcourt from Lagos in my 1.6L Japanese car after spending the Christmas with family members. The journey from Lagos through Sagamu was very smooth. Immediately I passed Ore junction, I noticed that two different pedestrians vigorously pointed at my car as I approached them. I had to stop to check the car when the third person, almost a kilometer away, did the same thing!

The “good Samaritan” ran up to me as I was checking my tyres for any visible sign. He told me that the front tyre on the passenger side was wobbling and suggested that it must be the bearing. To convince me that the bearing was really bad, he sat on the floor, held the tyre and shook it a bit. I guess I noticed it shake. I became apprehensive immediately! All I thought about was the fact that I still had about 600km to cover…how was I going to do that with a bad bearing? The guy call a mechanic who removed the tyre and deliberately destroyed the bearing in the process.

He left me there and on return claimed to have dashed to the nearest spare parts dealer to get a new bearing. Instead, he gave me a bad news: THE PART WAS NOT AVAILABLE IN ORE BUT IN BENIN!!! After spending several hours in Ore, I ended up buying a bearing at TIMES TEN THE COST PRICE!!!

Since then I have plied that route more than 30 times and only wave at the clowns when I see them pointing at my tyre.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Leobreezy(m): 4:21pm On Sep 09, 2013
it can spare your life and eventually get you back to school when the strike is called off, DUMMY!!!
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by precosmos1: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
komek: OP, u must be a very new person alone those routes. This tricks has been On for years, and its only the ignorants that fall victim. Thank God ur car was not dismantled.

Thank you for bringing it to the house because pple who travel for xmas with their new cars are always victims around that period.
I thank God my brother,not that I am new on that route but I have never encountered them.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by mikijagga(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2013
Hmm.. had a similar experience in October 2011. Was driving my family back from Lagos to PH with our Chevrolet Venture which was fine until we got close to benin, around the Okada area. I noticed a guy pointing at my car bonnet and flagging me to stop. It worried me, but I dismissed him because I did not feel anything wrong with the car. I thought, I should at least hear some sound or feel some tell tale signs from my steering wheels. Just as I was considering all these in my head, in less than 1 Km, another guy on a bike driving one-way along my lane of the express way did same thing and flagged me to stop. This time I got worried, because, I felt if the first guy was pranking me, then how about the second one?? So i looked for the nearest mecahnic shop to stop. The guy at the shop just appeared in a flash and I noticed oil and smoke on my tires. I wondered what could be wrong. I looked back if I could see the guys who flagged me, but they simple had disappeared. In my calculation, I should still be able to see the guys at least from the disatance.

Well, i asked the mecahnic what could be wrong, and he asked me to drive into their raphia palm leaves shop. They did some check and said I should bring N18k to get the parts and fix it. This was like 4pm. I was not just convinced, so I asked my wife to drive the car out of the shop and then back and forth while I check to see what the guys who flagged us saw. I did not see anything wrong, my wife also was convinced that she did not feel anything unusual while moving the car. At this point the guys said they can reduce the N18k if money was the problem. I told them not to bother at all, that I will sort myself out in Benin.

That was how God saved me. But something happened. We had the A/C on all along, but as soon as I wound down the window(power controlled) of the passenger side where my wife was seated, lo and behold, it refused to go up again after we drove from rickety raphia palm leaves shop.

I thank God all the same for helping us through that ordeal with my wife and kids in the car.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Daveflex(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
pls get serious wit ur life.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by dazzy4real(m): 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
Hmm pls the lubricants they pour on d wheels do they cos any damage on d tires?
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by samfibby(m): 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
Its stuff slike this that should make front page not Tonto Tike brushing her pretty set of teeth.

OP, thanks for sharing.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by samfibby(m): 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
Its stuff slike this that should make front page not Tonto Tike brushing her pretty set of teeth, Genevive aimlessly touring europe as if our life depends on it, etc.....

OP, thanks for sharing.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by theoctopus: 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
It is an old trick. It also happens within towns. It used to happen a lot around Onipanu and Agege axis but has reduced a lot now. Never stop at Ijora Olopa too. Always roll up your side windows and pin the doors when in a hold up in the evenings around Ijora Olopa, Ikeja.Bank Anthony, Opebi, Western Avenue, Marwa gardens under bridge, going under the express and mile 2
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 09, 2013
This one no affect me,na amoured tank i dey drive.anyway tanx @ op
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by precosmos1: 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
dazzy4real: Hmm pls the lubricants they pour on d wheels do they cos any damage on d tires?
it does absolutely nothing to the tyre though some people say they use "jazz",but I don't believe in that poo. I still drove my car to warri with the oil they sprayed,but my fear was,if they have removed any vital item from the tyre.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by precosmos1: 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
samfibby: Its stuff slike this that should make front page not Tonto Tike brushing her pretty set of teeth.

OP, thanks for sharing.
you are welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Disadvantages Of Putting Your Cars In Park At The Traffic Light? / Death Of The Z-600 Made-In-Nigeria Car / Bugatti Chiron Is The Most Searched Supercar In Nigeria,see The World's Top 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.