Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road (19793 Views)

Truck Falls On Okada At Oshodi-Apapa Expressway (Photos) / Okada-Man, Student Crushed By Trailer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Okada Rider's Head Bursts Open As He Collides With Containers In Lagos (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by brojero: 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
Leopantro: this trick is as old as I can remember. they usually start it towards the end of the year, especially on that part of the road. also avoid driving over tyres, nylon bags or oranges along that road.

As old as time itself.

Fell for that that trick along western avenue Surulere in 1985. First and last time!

I used to see guys trying it on all the time on the Sagamu/Benin expressway in the 90's

One has got be alert at all times
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
Many thanks for the warning OP. God bless you.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by babseg(m): 6:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
No be today now? That trick don tey small
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by banky222: 6:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ghydyon: Is GEJ to be blame for this?
Abi OSHOBABA? I tire
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by deeptesting(m): 6:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
I think with this information a sting operation can be carried out on this criminals by the police but the irony of it, is that the police cannot claim ignorance of this illicit activity.I am also not too sure if any victim has gone to the police to file a complaint. I often ply the Benin-Ore road but my distrust for people never allowed me to pull over when they beckon on me...My heart goes out to all the victims of this bandits on our high ways.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
Na bad condition make crayfish bend sad
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by JNdupu: 6:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
theoctopus: It is an old trick. It also happens within towns. It used to happen a lot around Onipanu and Agege axis but has reduced a lot now. Never stop at Ijora Olopa too. Always roll up your side windows and pin the doors when in a hold up in the evenings around Ijora Olopa, Ikeja.Bank Anthony, Opebi, Western Avenue, Marwa gardens under bridge, going under the express and mile 2

Happened to me there, Western Avenue, more than 25 years ago. I was stuck in a go-slow just before the overhead bridge near the National Stadium driving my Peugeot 504 one evening. One reasonably-dressed chap waved to me like something was under my car and before I could do anything, he had bent down near the front tire. I jumped out to investigate (traffic standstill) but he retreated saying "ah, no problem, oga", then disappeared.

As the traffic began to crawl forward, it did not take more than another 200 meters for the engine to overheat, steam pouring out of the vents. I stopped (by now on the topof the bridge proper) and opened the bonnet. Suddenly, these area boy mechanics appeared and traced the fault to a damaged water pump, which they just happened to have handy and sold and fitted it for me for some ludicrous amount I can't remember now.

I later realized the scam worked because the first chap had used a pin to prick the diaphragm of the water pump when he bent down by the vehicle. Apparently, it was an easy scam to pull for those Peugeot 504s in those days.

God forgive me, I handed the case to some Ojuelegba boys I knew and they told me they picked up the first chap a few weeks later. I don't want to know how but I got my money back.

The replacement water pump sef even if not original worked correctly, engine ran noticeably cooler even with full A/C blast, and lasted the remaining lifetime of the car. Props to all those Aba people oh!

1 Like

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by PassingShot(m): 7:49pm On Sep 09, 2013
No be today e start. It's been around since early 90's. Experienced it along Ore-Benin road many times.
Lucky you though!

1 Like

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by PastorOla1: 8:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
THIS IS NOT A NEW TRICK PLEASE.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by andyanders: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
[quote author=Leopantro]this trick is as old as I can remember. they usually start it towards the end of the year, especially on that part of the road. also avoid driving over tyres, nylon bags or oranges along that road.[/quote

Sure, this system has been a very old system. Even in third mainland bridge, they do it.Just be smart anytime any day whenever you are on wheel or wherever you are driving to. Never pull your car i.e, stop your car whenever you see some people pointing to your car. Keep going since you do not notice any kind of sound of the engine or the steering affecting your driving.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by pinky21(f): 9:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
Nice topic and info. Jst scared of d years pple are mentioning here. 198*, 25yrs ago, decades. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by olusola200: 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
THIS IS AN OLD NEWS ITS REAL IT HAS HAPPEN TO MY FRIEND B4
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Lantosed: 9:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
Send free SMS and also Make free calls from your Facebook confirmed. Just follow this link and enjoy this great feature.
http:///nhwr2kv
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by coalcoal1(m): 9:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
there is one other crazy type they do these days. When it is about getting dark, say about 7pm, some guys driving behind you will suddenly hit your car with theirs. When you park your car and come out to inspect, they engage you in a hot argument and fight and in the the process, a member of their team quickly steals valuables from your car.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by touchmeder: 9:55pm On Sep 09, 2013
nawa ember month things lipsrsealed
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Jarus(m): 10:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
precosmos1: Please be warned about robbers in disguise of mechanics along okada/ehkiadolor road.

I was a victim today, thanks be to God almighty.They operate thus: a guy on a bike will be driving one way towards okada and will be waving at you that your front tyre is shaking, if u ignore him,another person will stand like 1 kilometer ahead and will still do the same sign to you. Like five of them did this to me after one kilometer apart.

I was now force to stop close to a police checking point close to ehkiadolor, beside a vulcanizer stand, immediately the guy came to me that my front tyre is waving,and asked if I had jack,unknowing to me when I was bringing out my jack from my boot,he poured a black oil into the tyre and immediately he came to me that I should come and see the oil coming out of the tyre,though I didn't know about this trick,thank God for my mechanic that I called,he was the who opened up all these tricks to me,he said that has been their way along that axis,that they were formally operating at ore,but the community at ore had to wage war against them,so they have now migrated to okada/ehkiadolor axis.

Guys you need to see the way they were calling supposed parts sellers to come with different parts,amounting to #36,000. Thank God I first of all called my mechanic,he told me that I should just tell them to couple it back that I want to manage it to benin to park pending when I will have money.

After telling them this,they will insist that the tyre will pull on the way and it will cost me a furtune to toll the car to my destination,I just used wisdom to beg one of them to help me couple it back,and I gave him #1000. That was how I drove out of there midst,on getting to custom check point at ehkiadolor,custom guys stopped me for my custom papers,so I just chipped my ordeal to them,immediately they screamed that hope I didn't fall to their scam.

Please read and alert your love ones to stay away from this highway rubbers. MOD please take this to front page.

These ones look like thieves, not robbers.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by OdionOdion: 10:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ghydyon: Is GEJ to be blame for this?
Yes because he gave them black oil ,infact he chased them out of PDP, they decided to form the highway PDP faction to help the travellers
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Cityguy: 12:15am On Sep 10, 2013
I actually fell for this once somewhere between Abuja ans Suleja. Mine was 50k and the crook followed me to a bank so - could use my ATM. I have learnt my lesson since then.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by silat(f): 1:17am On Sep 10, 2013
this does not only happen in that axis. it has happened to my husband n myself on abj-lkj road, but close to lokoja. same tactics, wen we finally parked after like d 3rd person told is same tin, we noticed smoke from d tire, and strtd saying some bolts from the joints were out etc n called they strtd forming calls to their colleagues for spare parts n mentioned annoying prices, so my husb asked dem to couple the tyre, that he will fix it in lkj. they r petty thieves.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by precosmos1: 6:39am On Sep 10, 2013
Pastor Ola: THIS IS NOT A NEW TRICK PLEASE.
for the fact that it's not new to you doesn't mean it's not new to others,so think before you contribute.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by OnyeEgo1(m): 7:17am On Sep 10, 2013
My confession
i dey learn for nairaland.com EVERYDAY jare..
I dey follow una anywhere jare.. Nyc thread Op
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 10, 2013
precosmos1: for the fact that it's not new to you doesn't mean it's not new to others,so think before you contribute.

Why are people always so belligerant and bellicose on nairaland

Everybody brings his or her offline frustration to nairaland and unleashes it on innocent people.

The pastor made a polite comment which wasnt meant for u, u should have just kept quiet than been rude.
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by OnyeEgo1(m): 7:59am On Sep 10, 2013
mobuch:

Why are people always so belligerant and bellicose on nairaland

Everybody brings his or her offline frustration to nairaland and unleashes it on innocent people.

The pastor made a polite comment which wasnt meant for u, u should have just kept quiet than been rude.

no mind d guy na fustration abeg..... Na 9ja cause am..
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by elvis07: 8:56am On Sep 10, 2013
It once happened to my friend on datt same road, but D̶̲̥̅̊ luck he had was dat we were on convoy of abt 9 cars coming from a training in lagos nd he was speeding fast aheadd of odas in his SUV nd when he was flagged down he stoped nd five minutes later oda cars got to datt spot wia his car was parked nd we all started to park, they managed to escape wit his car tire jack. Thank God we got der @ dat time
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Fajzay: 8:59am On Sep 10, 2013
pinky21: Nice topic and info. Jst scared of d years pple are mentioning here. 198*, 25yrs ago, decades. Hmmmmmmmmm.

You are scared they could have easily fathered you ba? lolz
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Emmyk(m): 11:00am On Sep 10, 2013
If this robbers see a Bug/Ijakpa 1956 come-by, will they make such gestures? cheesy

1 Like

Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Chynx(m): 12:18pm On Sep 10, 2013
brojero:

As old as time itself.

Fell for that that trick along western avenue Surulere in 1985. First and last time!

I used to see guys trying it on all the time on the Sagamu/Benin expressway in the 90's

One has got be alert at all times

Sure, you have a thing for the word "time" grin
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Chynx(m): 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2013
elvis07: It once happened to my friend on datt same road, but D̶̲̥̅̊ luck he had was dat we were on convoy of abt 9 cars coming from a training in lagos nd he was speeding fast aheadd of odas in his SUV nd when he was flagged down he stoped nd five minutes later oda cars got to datt spot wia his car was parked nd we all started to park, they managed to escape wit his car tire jack. Thank God we got der @ dat time
Lol, that convoy na die o! 5 minutes ahead of the other cars clearly tells us he wasn't interested in convoying; for he would be in Jericho while the rest convoyers are struggling to leave Jerusalem...lol cheesy
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Nicepoker(m): 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
precosmos1: Please be warned about robbers in disguise of mechanics along okada/ehkiadolor road.

I was a victim today, thanks be to God almighty.They operate thus: a guy on a bike will be driving one way towards okada and will be waving at you that your front tyre is shaking, if u ignore him,another person will stand like 1 kilometer ahead and will still do the same sign to you. Like five of them did this to me after one kilometer apart.

I was now force to stop close to a police checking point close to ehkiadolor, beside a vulcanizer stand, immediately the guy came to me that my front tyre is waving,and asked if I had jack,unknowing to me when I was bringing out my jack from my boot,he poured a black oil into the tyre and immediately he came to me that I should come and see the oil coming out of the tyre,though I didn't know about this trick,thank God for my mechanic that I called,he was the who opened up all these tricks to me,he said that has been their way along that axis,that they were formally operating at ore,but the community at ore had to wage war against them,so they have now migrated to okada/ehkiadolor axis.

Guys you need to see the way they were calling supposed parts sellers to come with different parts,amounting to #36,000. Thank God I first of all called my mechanic,he told me that I should just tell them to couple it back that I want to manage it to benin to park pending when I will have money.

After telling them this,they will insist that the tyre will pull on the way and it will cost me a furtune to toll the car to my destination,I just used wisdom to beg one of them to help me couple it back,and I gave him #1000. That was how I drove out of there midst,on getting to custom check point at ehkiadolor,custom guys stopped me for my custom papers,so I just chipped my ordeal to them,immediately they screamed that hope I didn't fall to their scam.

Please read and alert your love ones to stay away from this highway rubbers. MOD please take this to front page.
must u beg the mod to take ur story to the front page?
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Nicepoker(m): 12:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
earthrealm: wow though as much........same thing nearly happened to my wife n i..between agbor and benin..........almost within a 19km distance...various people were waving that our tire is dancing {usually the tire near the bush - front passenger].....against my better judgement..i heeded to my wifes request that we shud stop ...we stopped after the 5th person waved us.....i came out to inspect...didnt hear/see anything.......but the person that waved us..got to the tire side b4 me..and when i got there i noticed a thick dark liquid oozing from the rotor/brake side................from my knowledge of cars...i knew a thick black fluid has no bizness coming from my front tire...as only grease [from the axle] is supzed to be there...or maybe brake fluid...........so i suspected foul play immediately and zoomed off..........he was directing me to 1 filling station that we just passed...that i shud manage to take the car there...that a mechanic will fix it............

thank God for my quick wits and car knowledge...we wud hv fallen prey to those people...who knows they could even add kidnapping to armed robbery
u wil never say the truth. Tel us they robbed u. The op claimed to be smart and u claimed that too
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by Nicepoker(m): 12:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
booqee: Dem be crazy robbers for dat edo state. Can't wait to end my service.
end it today. They wil cum up wit another trick u never imagined
Re: New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road by komek(m): 1:25pm On Sep 10, 2013
Nicepoker: must u beg the mod to take ur story to the front page?

ASUU should hurry up and do something about this strike action, children are just everywhere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms / Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? / What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.