Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,955 members, 7,814,239 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission (1309 Views)

I Got N100m From PDP, Not Yuguda – Odili / Agbaje's Entry Jolts Lagos PDP Aspirants, Begin Guber bid / Justice Kayode Eso Is Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by Truequest(m): 1:47pm On Jun 17, 2008
What will be your reaction if I suddenly tell you that I'm afraid to go to my house. Especially if I were one time the Chief executive plus His Excellency who uptil last year had everyone at my beck and call. Could it it be that I like the proverbial "FOWL has farted so the ground is now after me?" This was the situation the ex Governor of the oil rich state found himself when he was invited by Justice Kayode Esho to give evidence in the Truth and Reconciliation Commision recently.

Dr Peter Odili, the former Governor of Rivers State, and Dr. Ebiye Sekibo, the former Secretary to the state government and later the Minister of Transport, have expressed fears over coming to Port Harcourt, the state capital, to testify at the Rivers State Truth and Reconciliation Commission, because they were scared of their safety.
Justice Kayode Esho (retired),Chairman of the Commission, told the bewildered people of the state and Nigerians that the Commission would be relocating to Sheraton Hotel, Abuja, to assuage the fears of the two principal witnesses so that Nigerians could hear their own side of the story

Full story at
http://thepmnews.com/2008/06/14/i%e2%80%99m-scared-of-port-harcourt-odili-jolts-eso-commission
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by benit(f): 3:01pm On Jun 17, 2008
The evil seeds they planted have grown into trees of thorns and now they are scared hahaha. They will definitely be pierced.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by Ibime(m): 3:28pm On Jun 17, 2008
What we need is judgement, not truth and reconciliation.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by desgiezd(m): 3:34pm On Jun 17, 2008
benit:

The evil seeds they planted have grown into trees of thorns and now they are scared hahaha. They will definitely be pierced.

Definitely, there's no hiding place for them, they have murdered sleep and shall sleep no more.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by Truequest(m): 8:56pm On Jun 17, 2008
Today He accused the tribunal chairman of bias at the hearing in Abuja
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 17, 2008
Do not throw stones if you live in a glass house, same with the market square; it might end hitting your mother. tongue

@topic

Who cares anyway, all we need is justice like some one has rightly stated.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 8:29am On Jun 18, 2008
Odilli is scared of going to Port Harcourt? Hillarious, Port Harcourt is Unsafe for all!!!
I am eager to hear the excuse he will give for all the evil that transpired under him. Anyone looking at port harcourt and rivers state in general wouldn't know that it was a state that continues to get the bulk of derivation fund and oil money. It looks like on giant mess and who was awarded the best governor status during Obasanjo's time? Was Odilli not given such class and status and numerous chieftancy for his governing finesse? Nigerian Madness. They had better not go softly on him, none of that oga trite.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by ow11(m): 1:09pm On Jun 18, 2008
After arming unemployed youths to intimidate rivals to the RV treasury. Now he wants us to believe he is scared to go back. Since he unleashed the beast, he should have the password to tame that which he created!
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by Truequest(m): 2:17pm On Jun 19, 2008
ow11:

After arming unemployed youths to intimidate rivals to the RV treasury. Now he wants us to believe he is scared to go back. Since he unleashed the beast, he should have the password to tame that which he created!

Listening to his defence I have my doubt over arming the youth issue. Or is there any clue? You know with our politicians particularly those in present and last government anything is possible.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 6:39pm On Jun 19, 2008
@Truequest so where can one listen to his defence so that we can see how convincing it is or was? The whole point is that you don't have to even hear everything, go to the state that was governed by him for eight years and see what progress was made, interview area touts and people of such in the state and listen to the response they will give you. Cultism and militancy during that administration was government sponsored, have you been listening to the chief militants themselves? What was all the money the state got from government derivation and revenue used for? Port Harcourt is just one big market square and to be honest nothing changed in those eight years, one can basically see NO DIFFERENCE. Before you watch that so called defence familiarise yourself with the EFCC report on things we know he did because that is a report even him did not deny, a report showing how much EFCC knows he stole and how this was achieved (in the range of 100billion Naira), it then makes you wonder about how much did such a person wielding that much power unchallenged steal that is not even known off?
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 10:29am On Jun 20, 2008
Rivers truth panel a witch-hunt, says Odili
From Lemmy Ughegbe, Abuja

THE Rivers State Truth and Reconciliation Commission began sitting in Abuja yesterday, with former Governor of the state, Peter Odili, accusing his successor, Rotimi Amaechi, of setting it up to witch-hunt him.

But the state Commissioner for Information, Ogbonna Nwuke, described Odili's statement as "laughable, amazing and unmeritorious," insisting that Amaechi desires reconciliation.

Testifying before the commission, Odili said peace would not reign in Rivers State until Amaechi was ready for genuine reconciliation.

He insisted that the commission was set up to smear his image, even as he accused the Chairman of the commission, Justice Kayode Eso (rtd), of bias. He also denied links with cultism.

Odili said: "At no time between 1999 and 2007 did Governor Amaechi advise me against the use of cult groups for elections because there was no need for such advice.

"At no time did I attempt to use them (cult groups) for any illegal and unofficial purposes. Let us remember that the governor has no commanding authority over these personnel. Why then should any law enforcement failure be attributed to Peter Odili?"

Odili said the allegation that he was into oil theft was also false.

His words: "I have neither been into bunkering (oil theft) nor do I have interest in community or chieftancy problems anywhere. I therefore, had no need to set up or support any armed group. I challenge anyone who thinks I armed or supported any armed group to step forward publicly with his evidence.

"I have watched with amazement, disdain and pity, the melodrama that has emerged from the public hearing. It is absolutely clear, my lord, that this commission was set up for only one reason - to attempt to smear the image and hard-earned good name and reputation of Dr. Peter Odili, discredit his government and the good works he did as governor.

"Clearly, no truth and reconciliation was intended by those who conceived the idea of this commission, and given the trend so far, I dare say that no reconciliation can be achieved."

Amaechi, early this month, set up the commission to look into the grievances of the people of the state between 1999 and 2007. The commission is also expected to engender a lasting peace among the people.

Odili said he was introduced to the militants at a meeting arranged for him, Asari Dokubo and Ateke Tom in 2004 by the Presidency.

His words: "Late afternoon on October 1, 2004, I got a call from the Presidency to come urgently. When I got to the Villa, I met a group of young men, apparently from my state, who had been brought to the Villa for the purpose of making peace and stopping the violence in the state.

"They were said to be representing Ateke and Asari groups and both men (Asari and Ateke) were also present. That was my first time of sitting with Ateke in my life."

Odili denied having a hand in the death of Chiefs Marshal Harry and D.K. Dikibo. His words: "I deny, in the name of God, that I had anything whatsoever to do with Marshal Harry's death. The trial of the suspects for his murder is going on in Abuja."

On Dikibo, he said: "We had no personal quarrel or disagreement whatsoever. I was devastated to hear via a phone call from his nephew (Soe Dikibo), who was then a commissioner in the state Executive Council, that Chief A.K Dikibo had been killed on his way to Asaba."

He said his administration received a total of N708.3 billion in eight years, contrary to claims that he collected N1.3 trillion.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article04//indexn2_html?pdate=180608&ptitle=Rivers%20truth%20panel%20a%20witch-hunt,%20says%20Odili
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 10:32am On Jun 20, 2008
It is quite obvious that a mighty fat big can of worms is just waiting to opened to expose most if not ALL of them. Just read some of the responses given by Odili, shaky and unconvincing at best. The news emanating daily from this truth comission is just laughable, I really don't know what this commission is supposed to achieve but it is like they have all gone to Abuja to stage a play and each day they all keep indirectly indicting, incriminating and accusing each other.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 10:38am On Jun 20, 2008
Peter Odili Dazzles at TRC
June 17, 2008 by Felix Ashimole

Sir Peter Odili, one time governor of Rivers State 1999-2007, made himself available to adopt the written submission by his Counsel Ifedayo Adedipe SAN to the Justice Eso led Rivers State Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC). The RTC had to relocate to Abuja, to enable Sir Odili and Sekibo to testify. The duo had cited security reasons for their inability to attend the sitting of the TRC in Port Harcourt.

Earlier testifiers, had insinuated that Sir Peter Odili was responsible for the death, of Harry Marshal and Chief A.K. Dikibo. The weightiest of these testifiers, is Asari Dokubo. Asari Dokubo, was the leader of the Niger Delta Volunteer Front, the forerunner of Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND). Asari after a long sojourn awaiting trial, claims he is born again and have shunned violence.

While he reigned, he was a terror and the twin names of Asari and Ateke Tom is synonymous to evil in the creeks of the Niger Delta.

According to Sir Peter Odili, he first met the duo of Asari and Ateke on October 1st 2004 at the Presidential Villa, after he was summoned by the then president. Odili denied belonging and sponsoring any cult group and challenged anybody with contrary evidence to step forward.

According to Odili, there was an apex group made up of 16 members, which included Rotimi Ameachi the present governor; Celestine Omehia; the two past PDP chairmen of the state. Each had a free hand to control any organization that was used in his area to mobilize for PDP.

Sir Peter Odili, swearing in the name of God, denied any knowledge of the death of both Harry Marshal and Dikibo. In Asari’s testimony reported in National dailies, Asari said he was told that Odili was responsible for the death. Asari’s testimony was based on hear say and Asari’s believe. Asari never made known the names of those from whom he heard that Odili was responsible for the death.

Odili, also threw an open challenge to the whole world to come up with evidence of embezzlement by him or his administration.

In a rapid departure from the testimony, Sir Odili indicted the Chairman of the commission of bias, rhetorically asking if he can get justice from a panel headed by Justice Eso. This indictment was a reference to the opening speech of Justice Eso to the effect that he used the instrumentalities of the law to frustrate prosecution.

In response to questions from the counsel to the TRC Chima Bovis, Odili reasserted that there was no need to use cultists in the 2003 election as there was no credible opposition in Rivers State.

Throughout the lengthy denial, Odili appeared well schooled in the act of cross examination and made a mice meat of the accusations. Sir Peter Odili’s wife, Mary Odili, is a Justice of the Court of Appeal Abuja division.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 10:42am On Jun 20, 2008
@Truequest, is it these reports and those speeches he gave that gave you doubts of his hands in these issues? Were you that easily dazzled? He asked for evidence of embezzlement and that means he did not embezzle? What about the EFCC report that OBJ used as a leverage to get Odilli to give up his presidential aspirations? Over 100billion Naira was proved by EFCC to be embezzled and the way such was done was intricately detailed in the report. After that report no one heard from Odili for a while, but i guess he banked on the short term memory of Nigerians because after about a year he has the audacity to ask for evidence and people are getting dazzled by this? What an insult. Given the fact that his wife is a judge why would one be surprised that he was good at answering questions? Someone that with his ill gotten influence was able to get a restraining order against the EFCC in which the order also interestingly explicitly restrained the EFCC from publishing their finds on him. What does he have to hide and what is so terrifying about the information the EFCC has not yet published? Should i post the EFCC report already published early 2007? And then knowing that no such law (eg FOI) is available to the citizens, after restraining EFCC he is now asking for evidence knowing the normal person on the street will be denied acess to this? SICKENING.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by SkyBlue1: 10:56am On Jun 20, 2008
Also, keep in mind that the report i just posted above was an interim report, meaning it was sort of a progress report. The investigation was not even completed and this is what had fallen out of the closet so far. Imagine what was yet to be published that he went to get restrain on EFCC from publishing. And this was OBJ's godson. When this report was published what happened? What did anyone say to the said to be best serving governor in Nigeria? Was there any protest? Did the militants go and attack Odili? Who did the militants continue terrorizing? Nigeria and its selective blindness. His defence was all fluff and no substance and was all fireworks and i was far from dazzled and refuse to fall for such. The proof is in the pudding, when next anyone has time and they can afford to, travel around the country and see places, go and see Port Harcourt the so called oil city of Nigeria. Go and look around Rivers State that enjoyed the highest state derivation among all states for all this while, the so called "treasure base of the nation" according to number plates. Get that perspective and you will begin to wonder what all the "oil money" was spent on? DISGUSTING
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by vikiviko(m): 11:24am On Jun 20, 2008
Odili's hands are soiled with evils.
As described Asari Dokubo, he's a likeable man with flowing smiles but wicked.In Dokubo's description of odili , it is really very pathetic, the man is evil and a criminal according to Dokubo
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by ow11(m): 1:04pm On Jun 20, 2008
Truequest:

Listening to his defence I have my doubt over arming the youth issue. Or is there any clue? You know with our politicians particularly those in present and last government anything is possible.

Odili ignited the fire which is what we call miltants today. during the Eleme/Okrika war, Sekeibo ( Odili's goon ) was said to have supplied arms to the Bush boys ( a group of Okrika Youths) to which Ateke was a member to help and defeat the Eleme youths ( the war was as a result of a dispute over who owned the land on which the refinery stands). Now after the war ended, It was election time, Odili wanted to get his filthy hands on the treasury and decided he would use any means to get in. Pronto!he called Sekeibo to enable him win Okrika for PDP. This is because Ada George, his former boss was in APP and wouldn't support him. Ada George was behind Ngeribara. Okrika was an APP stronghold!

Since Abiye Sekeibo had control over the Bush boys, He was asked to help but the bush boys who have now become Vigilante ( they had weapons ) refused but Ateke was offered money and he opted out of Bush boys to form his own group. They helped Odili win Okrika votes by intimidation and rigging. When Odili wanted re election, he already had his plan and imported more weapons through his goons and started to unleash terror on the opposition ( a la Mugabe) but the Bush boys were unhappy with Ateke's new found fame, wealth and power and solicited the support of IYC ( that is where Asari came in) to help defeat Ateke. In late 2003, a cult war between Asari and Ateke groups broke out. Other street cult groups aligned themselves to either Ateke or Asari and there was bloodshed in PH and neighbouring Ijaw villages.

Today what we see in RV state is political violence gone bad because weapons bought to win votes weren't taken away after elections and the idle thugs thought of a new way to kill time. KIDNAPPING OIL WORKERS!!

Odili is a liar if he says he has nothing to do with the violence in PH. This story I have told can be corroborated by any one who lived in PH Town or Diobu between 1998 and 2006.
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by Truequest(m): 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Truequest, is it these reports and those speeches he gave that gave you doubts of his hands in these issues? Were you that easily dazzled? He asked for evidence of embezzlement and that means he did not embezzle? What about the EFCC report that OBJ used as a leverage to get Odilli to give up his presidential aspirations? Over 100billion Naira was proved by EFCC to be embezzled and the way such was done was intricately detailed in the report. After that report no one heard from Odili for a while, but i guess he banked on the short term memory of Nigerians because after about a year he has the audacity to ask for evidence and people are getting dazzled by this? What an insult. Given the fact that his wife is a judge why would one be surprised that he was good at answering questions? Someone that with his ill gotten influence was able to get a restraining order against the EFCC in which the order also interestingly explicitly restrained the EFCC from publishing their finds on him. What does he have to hide and what is so terrifying about the information the EFCC has not yet published? Should i post the EFCC report already published early 2007? And then knowing that no such law (eg FOI) is available to the citizens, after restraining EFCC he is now asking for evidence knowing the normal person on the street will be denied acess to this? SICKENING.

Efcc under Ribadu earlier told us that 90% or more of the past Governors are corrupt, but brought charges against a few, amazingly most of those expected were missing. This is not to say thoough that Odili is free, but in a situation where you accuse some one of a crime but fail to prosecute how then can you validate your claim.

Rivers State's federal allocation to date is second to no other and more than six times some states' allocation. In my opinion millitants should deal with their leaders first before attacking other people.

On my doubt what I was looking at is vendetta on the part of Amaechi, like okay you don't want me to be governor now I am governor, and I will show you. Hope you get my position, that were I have my doubt. The genuinity of the reconcilliation
Re: ‘i’m Scared Of Port Harcourt’— Odili Jolts Eso Commission by iseobio(m): 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2008
the whole thing is a mockery of government institutions. how can a whole panel travel to abuja because some one is saying rivers state is not safe for me. the law is upside down. the panel is the servant, the accused is the lord. even in developed world i have never seen a situation where a panel will move to the home of a government official to gather information. I remember tony blair appearing before a panel it was not in his office but at where the panel was sitting.

I think Odili and Sekibo should be arrested immediately because their action establishes a prima facie against them already.

(1) (Reply)

Electricity Tariff Goes Up By 100% Next March / Forget Your 8 Points Agenda, This Is What We Want From You, Fayemi - Ekiti State / Nigeria Mishandled Abuja Bomb Blast –us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.