Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (30136 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by israel007: 8:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
What ever makes your day. Do it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 10, 2013
[size=20pt]you wan take style learn how to cook stew abi? we no go tell you, continue to dey chop raw tomato and rice. grin grin grin[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by bluerange(f): 9:00pm On Sep 10, 2013
Nokio1: we cook it like that becos thats how Flora Lugard thought us! Off i go b4 am tempted to write ETT!
which Flora? she enter kitchen when she dey Nigeria?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2013
ogugua88: The other day we saw a thread complaining about fast food being unhealthy. Now slow food has dead nutrients. I just confuse.
LOL
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by whiteroses(f): 9:03pm On Sep 10, 2013
stillwater: Lol, I'm cooking stew right now.
I don't boil my tomatoes etc sauce. My mum didn't either or maybe on rare occasions. I don't know why people make it like a do or die affair.
why wont you boil your Tomatoes, Rondo and Tatashe together? this process infuses all the eroja to make one great paste! Then fry it very well with onion and maggi, serve over fresh white rice grin Meanwhile, collect small portion of the stew and stir fry it with your mutton and lamb meat..I dream of Rice and Stew with Brokoto cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Shaadey: 9:03pm On Sep 10, 2013
Msctw. . Spits on thread
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 10, 2013
Have no fear, the chef is here!

Now, the aim is to reduce the time of boiling the ground tomatoes. Shey? After this stage, the rest is easy. Okay, let's go there!

When grinding the tomatoes, do not add water...sam sam. The stuff comes out very thick and won't take as much time as the reverse case.

Next, use a pot with a large base, and turn up the burner to 80 or 90 percent. This will ensure effective heat distribution and the stuff will boil faster.

You grab?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by tobloj(m): 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
broz yhu for chop battery na! grin
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
broz yhu for chop battery na!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
ogugua88: The other day we saw a thread complaining about fast food being unhealthy. Now slow food has dead nutrients. I just confuse.
D nutrient is dying no where. Abi it vaporized undecided.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Deschil: 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2013
I have often wondered about this myself...
Bludeville: Like the average person, I love a good meal. But today I was thinking about the Nigerian Stew and how it is cooked in the average Nigerian home. Basically, after you have ground your tomatoes, pepper, onion, tatase, etc, you boil it all till " all the water has dried" This takes an average of 1-2 hours. As if this death of all the nutrients this paste may have contained is not enough, we deep fry this paste, in oil ( groundnut oil, vegetable oil) till you have gotten rid of the "raw " taste then the seasoning and spicing may begin after which you have your "delicious stew"
My thoughts are thus - what is the nutritional value of this Stew? and the answer is probably zero health value, maximal cholesterol value.
why do we take perfectly healthy food and turn it into chaff? what is wrong with the taste of raw tomatoes? what is wrong with the water in the tomatoes?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2013
abeg forget all these nutrient ish. Ur husband or children no go follow u understand dat parole, all they need is a sweet food. Just lost d nutrient already and cook a real tasty meal. Since all these days wey we dey chop all these kain food, we no sick we no die. I cook mine as u described but hell, mine doesn't take hours like dat..infact its not up to 30minutes. Wtf?? Wat are we cooking?!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2013
booqee: abeg forget all these nutrient ish. Ur husband or children no go follow u understand dat parole, all they need is a sweet food. Just lost d nutrient already and cook a real tasty meal. Since all these days wey we dey chop all these kain food, we no sick, we no die.

Lmfaooooo grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by switdil(f): 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2013
I wan cry on sunday when I hear sey d pepper wey I go use make stew don block for insyd freezer
Hunger almost finish us for house
We wait taya sad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by airclipse(m): 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2013
Stew nσω take upto 2hrs тσ prepare....whc kind End Time Stew be dat nσω?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2013
whiteroses:
why wont you boil your Tomatoes, Rondo and Tatashe together? this process infuses all the eroja to make one great paste! Then fry it very well with onion and maggi, serve over fresh white rice grin Meanwhile, collect small portion of the stew and stir fry it with your mutton and lamb meat..I dream of Rice and Stew with Brokoto cool

Who wants to sleep in the kitchen? cheesy
The stew still comes out good. And everywhere I've been the stew still tastes the same. The only difference is if you cook it with vegetable oil or palm oil.
Most of the time sef we don't put tatashe or tomato paste except for jollof rice.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 10, 2013
fluid26: Have no fear, the chef is here!

Now, the aim is to reduce the time of boiling the ground tomatoes. Shey? After this stage, the rest is easy. Okay, let's go there!

When grinding the tomatoes, do not add water...sam sam. The stuff comes out very thick and won't take as much time as the reverse case.

Next, use a pot with a large base, and turn up the burner to 80 or 90 percent. This will ensure effective heat distribution and the stuff will boil faster.

You grab?

Ground tomatoes? shocked sad

Olorun maje!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2013
switdil: I wan cry on sunday when I hear sey d pepper wey I go use make stew don block for insyd freezer
Hunger almost finish us for house
We wait taya sad

Lmaoo grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2013
Hey! Good food takes time my dear.
Otherwise it would be fast food. And trust me, I would rather wait two hours than feed myself processed "ready to go" junk. tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by airclipse(m): 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2013
broz yhu for chop battery na! Mumu[/quote] no be bros Ooo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by 10cent: 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2013
Last time ℓ checked heat destorys only vitamins, but other nutrients remain intact ℓ don't know what tђε̲̣̣̣̥ OP is worried about. Eat fruits after your meal ãпԃ get your vitamins

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by AbuMikey(m): 9:22pm On Sep 10, 2013
Bludeville: Like the average person, I love a good meal. But today I was thinking about the Nigerian Stew and how it is cooked in the average Nigerian home. Basically, after you have ground your tomatoes, pepper, onion, tatase, etc, you boil it all till " all the water has dried" This takes an average of 1-2 hours. As if this death of all the nutrients this paste may have contained is not enough, we deep fry this paste, in oil ( groundnut oil, vegetable oil) till you have gotten rid of the "raw " taste then the seasoning and spicing may begin after which you have your "delicious stew"
My thoughts are thus - what is the nutritional value of this Stew? and the answer is probably zero health value, maximal cholesterol value.
why do we take perfectly healthy food and turn it into chaff? what is wrong with the taste of raw tomatoes? what is wrong with the water in the tomatoes?
Forget ur Marra!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by adedeeone(f): 9:22pm On Sep 10, 2013
cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Shugamania(f): 9:22pm On Sep 10, 2013
undecided
Una wahala don dey too much with this nutritional value thing. No be so our parents take chop am till they old? No be the same method they use cook the stew we were brought up on? Why we never die of malnutrition
If u cook half-done meal for my family in the name of nutrition, u'll so hate yourself when everybody begin purge. who go help u chop am sef?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by slimyem: 9:23pm On Sep 10, 2013
Why is this an issue?
If nutrients matter that much to you,just eat your stew raw or don't dry out the water. Your style,your food,your choice!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2013
Then I wonder why after 2 or more hours my cousin's stew still taste like lemonade
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by ceosville(m): 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2013
I told you that i'm hungry, that you should make something for us to eat, you spent 2hrs in the kitchen cooking only stew? Just come out of that damn kitchen and pick your sack letter on the dinning table. Yours sincerely. Ceos
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by AlyricistLaura: 9:26pm On Sep 10, 2013
REALITY101: Then I wonder why after 2 or more hours my cousin's stew still taste like lemonade

This Corny Niqqah Reality Is Still on Nairaland?

What a Lame Lightskin Niqqah

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by pxjosh(m): 9:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
As an undergraduate i dnt follow those protocols to cook so i spend lesser time. I guess my emergency stews has much more nutritional value since i dnt even dry it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
There are many roads to the market. As long as the stew comes out delicious, the method doesn't matter. As for the nutritional value, if our stew lacked nutritional value, we'd be battling kwashiokor by now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can You Eat This Dried Tomatoes? / Foods You Love To Eat But Can't Anymore Since You Found Out How They're Made / See The Pepper I Got For 1000 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.