Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (30134 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 10, 2013
So you saying my stew tastes like lemonade?

Darn. I aint cooking for you no more cry
REALITY101: Then I wonder why after 2 or more hours my cousin's stew still taste like lemonade
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by gradeA(m): 10:33pm On Sep 10, 2013
ogugua88: The other day we saw a thread complaining about fast food being unhealthy. Now slow food has dead nutrients. I just confuse.

cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nuzo1(m): 10:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
You can't eat your cake and have it.

1. If you need enough nutrients from your tomatoe stew? Then, like all vegetable, don't overcook your tomatoes. 5-10mns is enough to cook dry it a bit before you proceed with stew proper. To most Nigerians; it tastes like shit!

2. If you need it to taste "sweet"? Then, cook dry and fry the tomatoes for at least 2hrs. wink. But be sure that as the stew may taste good, its more or less a chaff. Love it. shocked cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by passionate88: 10:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
just slice d tomatoes
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by jaymdee(m): 10:39pm On Sep 10, 2013
That's not the only way to prepare stew. You can blend your ingredients with less water and fry. This takes about 20-30minutes.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by romay: 10:41pm On Sep 10, 2013
stew doesnt have to take so loooong!max 30minutes should be okay.one of the things to consider is the type of tomatoes used.some specie of tomatoes contain more water than others.also because of the acid content of tomatoes you shouldnt use too many compared to the tatashe,onions and rodo.next when blending,do not add too much water(which the women in the markets are fond of!).fry the mixture in whatever oil.if you have meat or chicken stock,add.after abt 10-15minutes,add spices and any already boiled meat.after abt 10mins,it should be ready!!COOKING STEW DOESNT HAVE TO TAKE SO LONG!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 10:41pm On Sep 10, 2013
i so enjoy my bell-pepper,onions,garlic,tomatoes in a extremely hot palm oil, with veggies ,seasonings and goat meat and fish,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by gradeA(m): 10:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
lorretta u: So you saying my stew tastes like lemonade?

Darn. I aint cooking for you no more cry

dont mind him joor. pls come cook for me. I bet any food coming from the owner of dat pic i saw on your profile would be wonderful grin

I would eat your stew morning, afternoon and night, 7 days a week, 4 weeks a month, 12 months a year, and infact all the days of my life, and trust me it would never taste like lemonade. *not even for a sec*
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Anidugbebilkis(f): 10:43pm On Sep 10, 2013
U can separate d water from d manually blended tomatoes and pepper using siever to reduce the d water content instead of using 30mins or 1hr to fry d stew to remove d water
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by whiteroses(f): 10:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
To be honest our paparazzi as Nigerians dey too much!!!!!!!
I worked at Hilton during my undergraduate years, There's this particular Tomato soup our guests had, you serve this Tomato soup with bread. One day a guest dint even touch his soup and left it so I decided to taste it lol and realized this soup was just grounded raw tomatoes simmered with a bit of olive oil and dry herbs! It couldnt have taken five minutes to make, it was so original and this was served in the executive lounge.
All hail Nigerians everything must be polished to its finest state cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by NIGHTFOX: 10:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
Hehehe.. Wen this our contemporary generation gals dnt knw how to cook, wat der knw our 2 do is come 2 NL and voice irrelevant issues
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by passionate88: 10:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
Or you filter it. When u filter d grounded tomatoes d first time, pour d red water inside d filter again after 4mins u go see d difference. Na guy man style b that. No time for boiling
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by pkween(f): 10:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
I love this topic.I think the best is to make a tomatoe/vegetable sauce instead of what we call stew .Steps to doing is is blend ur vegetables i.e the tomatoes,peppers.onion etc with a vegetable/maual blender or squeeze the tomatoes et al into a blender,bleend but not to total smoothness so u dnt have excess water and the fibre of the vegetables or flesh are not reduced to very tiny bit or paste so,it can still retain some of its nutrients. Futhermore,u heat up little vegetable oil for maybe 3-4mins to reduce the cholestero if any,put in the blended vegetables,add no water ,put in healthy spices and cook for some 4-5 mins and you are good to go.Try it today and u will be glad u did.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by tosomaju(m): 10:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
what a coincident....i just finished cooking a delicious stew and just chilling out with my phone and came across this thread

sweet taste cannot be compromise by me neither nutrition so i had to strike an equilibrium. For me delicious stew cannot be cooked in haste so i always take my time while cooking

HOW DID I COOK MY STEW?
1. I blended the tomatoes with pepper and plenty of onion(i don't know what's it with me and onion) i didn't add water and made sure the blended tomatoes and co are not super smooth b4 boiling it.... I was a little bit in haste as some mob of hungry stomach were on my neck, so i filter the remaining water in the tomatoes b4 it got dried.

2. I seasoned the raw chicken with curry, thyme, Maggi, nutmeck, onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Stirred properly and left like that while i was blending the tomatoes (10minutes). I boiled the chicken thereafter. In other to reduce the fry and increase nutrient, i desired not to fry the chicken.

3. I sliced a bulb of onion in a tin-round form, after that i pour a sizeable quantity of vegetable oil in a dry pot and placed it on the cooker. When the oil was very hot, i put in the sliced onion and allow it to brown a little while stirring in a cyclical format, thereafter i pour in the boiled-filtered-grinded tomatoes. I deep fried for quite sometime, stirring at interval so that it won't get burnt.

4. While still stirring the frying the tomatoes, i added curry and Maggi to it (by this time the aroma has started samassaulting). When i was satisfied with the brown state of the stew, i added salt and poured the chicken in it along side the chicken source.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by howfarwhatagwan: 10:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
That you cooked tomatoes does not mean there is no nutritional value. You cannot say it is zero health value. Did you do the proximate analysis of the cooked tomatoes to come to the conclusion that there is no health value? please let us be careful about the sort of information we pass on and please don't believe everything you read foods in general have a very complex matrix. Raw food and cooked food all have their advantages and disadvantages. Also when you talk about nutritional/health value of foods you need to take into consideration bioavailability and bio-accessibility these two concepts are very important.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by chucky234(m): 10:53pm On Sep 10, 2013
free2ryhme:

is ur girl friend a learner
Well she is a girl and that makes you the learner.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 10:55pm On Sep 10, 2013
pkween: I love this topic.I think the best is to make a tomatoe/vegetable sauce instead of what we call stew .Steps to doing is is blend ur vegetables i.e the tomatoes,peppers.onion etc with a vegetable/maual blender or squeeze the tomatoes et al into a blender,bleend but not to total smoothness so u dnt have excess water and the fibre of the vegetables or flesh are not reduced to very tiny bit or paste so,it can still retain some of its nutrients. Futhermore,u heat up little vegetable oil for maybe 3-4mins to reduce the cholestero if any,put in the blended vegetables,add no water ,put in healthy spices and cook for some 4-5 mins and you are good to go.Try it today and u will be glad u did.
there's a difference btw soup n sauce
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 10, 2013
Ogugua.. You're priceless. Nothing to add.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2013
tosomaju: what a coincident....i just finished cooking a delicious stew and just chilling out with my phone and came across this thread

sweet taste cannot be compromise by me neither nutrition so i had to strike an equilibrium. For me delicious stew cannot be cooked in haste so i always take my time while cooking

HOW DID I COOK MY STEW?
1. I blended the tomatoes with pepper and plenty of onion(i don't know what's it with me and onion) i didn't add water and made sure the blended tomatoes and co are not super smooth b4 boiling it.... I was a little bit in haste as some mob of hungry stomach were on my neck, so i filter the remaining water in the tomatoes b4 it got dried.

2. I seasoned the raw chicken with curry, thyme, Maggi, nutmeck, onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Stirred properly and left like that while i was blending the tomatoes (10minutes). I boiled the chicken thereafter. In other to reduce the fry and increase nutrient, i desired not to fry the chicken.

3. I sliced a bulb of onion in a thing-round form, after that i pour a sizeable quantity of vegetable oil in a dry put and placed it on the cooker. When the oil was very hot, i put in the sliced onion and allow it to brown a little while stirring in a cyclical format, thereafter i pour in the boiled-filtered-grinded tomatoes. I deep fried for quite sometime, stirring at interval so that it won't get burnt.

4. While still stirring the frying the tomatoes, i added curry and Maggi to it (by this time the aroma has started samassaulting). When i was satisfied with the brown state of the stew, i added salt and poured the chicken in it along side the chicken source.
your maggi contains msg
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by tosomaju(m): 11:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
trolling: your maggi contains msg
^^^

i don't seem to understand that
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by pkween(f): 11:08pm On Sep 10, 2013
jaymdee: That's not the only way to prepare stew. You can blend your ingredients with less water and fry. This takes about 20-30minutes.
.if u do this,u will loss all the nutrients .20-30mins is too long a time to cook ya stew.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 11:11pm On Sep 10, 2013
tosomaju:
^^^

i don't seem to understand that
read the ingredients on your maggi,then google msg
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Biodup: 11:14pm On Sep 10, 2013
Na because na stove we they use to cook am. For answering the question watin be my rewrd
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Abidex114(f): 11:21pm On Sep 10, 2013
deejay_harry1: girls talk... ok sha... me na anythin man see , na im he go chop...
Na you sure pass jo. You get mouth like kettle
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 10, 2013
Stew kwa? I am sure Seun & Hajia Mukina (the Suntai & Hauwa of nairaland) allowed this topiic on the front page because they are not good in making stew and would want to learn from nairalanders.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 10, 2013
So op what do you suggest we do to remove the raw taste from the tomatoes while at the same time saving some nutrients?

If I must comment.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by whiteroses(f): 11:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
Well so much ado about stew! Nigerians Can you eat this yucky looking polish traditional soup?? Try something really nutritious today tongue lol

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by tosomaju(m): 11:41pm On Sep 10, 2013
trolling: read the ingredients on your maggi,then google msg
i av searched for it.........monosodium glutamate (msg). Thanks for bringing it to my knowledge
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by lifestyle1(m): 11:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
whiteroses: Well so much ado about stew! Nigerians Can you eat this yucky looking polish traditional soup?? Try something really nutritious today tongue lol

Pepper they that your soup at all ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
And dis made d Front page?!!!...Na wa oooo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by cdamsel(f): 12:05am On Sep 11, 2013
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
after blending my tomatoes & pepper I seive it,bt put a bowl underneath d seive cos small tomatoes go follow am come out @ 1st,den after a while it just d waters,wait till it seive finish,ur stew ll b cooked in 15/20mins max

P/s d water draining process might b a while o,nt so long sha
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by anonimi: 12:08am On Sep 11, 2013
howfarwhatagwan: That you cooked tomatoes does not mean there is no nutritional value. You cannot say it is zero health value. Did you do the proximate analysis of the cooked tomatoes to come to the conclusion that there is no health value? please let us be careful about the sort of information we pass on and please don't believe everything you read foods in general have a very complex matrix. Raw food and cooked food all have their advantages and disadvantages. Also when you talk about nutritional/health value of foods you need to take into consideration bioavailability and bio-accessibility these two concepts are very important.

Why don't you give us the advantage of over-boiled, over-fried VEGETABLES such as tomatoes, onion, pepper etc.
We dey wait the outcome of the

- "proximate analysis" accompanied by
- the "very complex matrix" taking into consideration
- the "bioavailability" and "bio-accessibility"

Hope we will not have to wait too long for you to back up these your big big vocabulary trying to justify OVERCOOKING vegetables.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can You Eat This Dried Tomatoes? / Foods You Love To Eat But Can't Anymore Since You Found Out How They're Made / See The Pepper I Got For 1000 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.