Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,984 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? (9702 Views)

Poll: Pay the tithe or pay or your relative's critical operation?

Pay the tithe: 34% (27 votes)
Help the relative: 65% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 5:58am On Jun 18, 2008
I read thoroughly without comments the other thread about tithing and debts. I believe in tithing and honestly think Christians should pay it without asking questions or checking how the pastor or church council is spending it but one person wrote that tithing is not about the money but about obedience to God and this made me to ask :

You've paid your monthly bills, all is taken care of and the remaining change is for your tithe when a relation calls from home asking for the equivalent of your tithe to save her father or mothers life. Do you apply the obedience rule and ignore her or do you give her the money to save the life and disobey God?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 10:41am On Jun 18, 2008
I will respond by asking you to reflect on these two quotes specifically as well as the teaching, practice & life of Jesus Christ and the Apostles:

1 Timothy 5:8
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Mark 7:
9 And he (Jesus Christ) said unto them (Pharisees), Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by joomiegal(f): 2:09pm On Jun 18, 2008
RedHotChic:

I read thoroughly without comments the other thread about tithing and debts. I believe in tithing and honestly think Christians should pay it without asking questions or checking how the pastor or church council is spending it but one person wrote that tithing is not about the money but about obedience to God and this made me to ask :

You've paid your monthly bills, all is taken care of and the remaining change is your for your tithe when a relation calls from home asking for the equivalent of your tithe to save her father or mothers life. Do you apply the obedience rule and ignore her or do you give her the money to save the life and disobey God?

sweetheart, i totally agree with you on the paying it without asking questions part. its God ure paying to. malachi 3:10 still stands. i used to be behind on tithes becos i did other things first.

I suggest paying your tithe FIRST before all else. Thats wot i do. that way, not only are you obeying, but im sure God will be smiling at you 4 puting Him first-it shows that you are GLADLY obeying!! Its easier to be consistent that way. All else wil just have to fall within the remaining 90%-and you'll be surprised to see that it will be enough!!!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by joomiegal(f): 2:20pm On Jun 18, 2008
anonimi:

I will respond by asking you to reflect on these two quotes specifically as well as the teaching, practice & life of Jesus Christ and the Apostles:

1 Timothy 5:8
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Mark 7:
9 And he (Jesus Christ) said unto them (Pharisees), Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

@ anonimi,
true, but u are quoting out of context. we must obey God FIRST, then man. if she had paid her tithe b4 d relative came, and perhaps she was unable 2 help him just then, wuld that have made her an infidel? it wuld have been a case of "the spirit is willing, but the pocket is weak" at that particular time. God sees the heart, maybe she wuld have told the relative to come back when she gets paid the next salary. I'd rather have man angry at me than God.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by detruth: 2:49pm On Jun 18, 2008
@poster

Ps 127:1
"Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain."
(NKJV)

If God refuse to heal, then not your money!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 4:01pm On Jun 18, 2008
detruth:

@poster
I sincerely agree with your understanding of scripture. I believe the reason why many got it wrong is because of their carnal interpretation of the Word of God. The letter will always kill, only the Spirit gives life.
Even Jesus was in support of tithing when He spoke in Luke 11:42

42 "Woe to [b]you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone. NIV[/b]

The "former" here refers to tithing which although is less compare to weighier matters like justice and the love of God nevertheless, Jesus still agree with it. "Mint" and "rue" are currency denominations of their time.

Are you a Pharisee that Christ was referring to in the text above as in others? Who are the equivalent of Pharisees today?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Lady2(f): 4:07pm On Jun 18, 2008
Are you a Pharisee that Christ was referring to in the text above as in others? Who are the equivalent of Pharisees today?

Why don't you tell us?
So now we have a classification huh?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 1:38am On Jun 19, 2008
Who are the equivalent of Pharisees today?
I think the unbelievers are the equivalent of Pharisees today.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 10:26am On Jun 19, 2008
detruth:
"Mint" and "rue" are currency denominations of their time.
Haba detruth were did you get the above statement from shocked abeg give references!! Why do you always resort to lies to substantiate your fallacies. Mint and rue are herbs which where popular amongst the Jews of the time, this also supports the fact that tithes was strictly farm produce at that time. I now know that you don't read your bible (if you have one) cos if you did, you would know that "shekels" was the currency in use throughout the biblical times. Gold and silver was also accepteble as currency so stop spreading you lies on this thread.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 5:30pm On Jun 19, 2008
RedHotChic:

May I invite you to study all biblical references to Pharisees, using this Bible search engine to make it easy:

http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=pharisees&ver=kjv

Then you may want to reassess those who you think are their equivalents today.
Shalom.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by ifyalways(f): 5:43pm On Jun 19, 2008
RedHotChic:

dont agree.Pharisees in my bible are very religious sect of ppl,very knowlegeable but full of pretence and deciet.They do good works and love to be praised,go to sabbath and observe all laws too.Some church goers are like that too,pretend outside but live in sin.sinning secretly,saints outside .
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 5:53pm On Jun 19, 2008
Pharisees were the keepers of the mosiac laws. they were very knowledgeable about the laws and there duty was to ensure the laws were kept. The reason they were always in conflict with Jesus was 1) because they were self righteous 2) They saw Jesus as a threat because of his teachings
So in my opinion self righteous people who emphasize tithes while ignoring the weightier matters of chritianity like love to our fellow men and salvation are the pharisees of today cheesy
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by ifyalways(f): 1:52pm On Jun 21, 2008
KunleOshob:

Pharisees were the keepers of the mosiac laws. they were very knowledgeable about the laws and there duty was to ensure the laws were kept. The reason they were always in conflict with Jesus was 1) because they were self righteous 2) They saw Jesus as a threat because of his teachings
So in my opinion self righteous people who emphasize tithes while ignoring the weightier matters of chritianity like love to our fellow men and salvation are the pharisees of today cheesy
touche !
the pharisees believe so much in self righteousness.To them "grace" doesnt exists.they love to be praised by ppl and to be seen by the world as ritghteous ppl.same thing happening to some so called christains today.seeking for self glorification,ready to engage in unfruitful arguments and ever ready to do good deeds which unfortunately are not the Criteria for making heaven.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Esss(m): 5:57pm On Jun 21, 2008
ifyalways:

touche !
the pharisees believe so much in self righteousness.To them "grace" doesnt exists.they love to be praised by people and to be seen by the world as ritghteous people.same thing happening to some so called christains today.seeking for self glorification,ready to engage in unfruitful arguments and ever ready to do good deeds which unfortunately are not the Criteria for making heaven.

Erm!! what more can I say??

What shall it profiit a man if you gain the whole church, and loose your soul.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MethodMan3(m): 6:04pm On Jun 21, 2008
[flash=200,200]http://fuc.k TITHE

I would save a relative's life!![/flash]
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MethodMan3(m): 6:06pm On Jun 21, 2008
Fuc.k TITHE

I would save a relative's life!!

Make Pastor forget anything from me

Lawd Hammercy!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by shinystar(m): 6:36pm On Jun 21, 2008
I'd save my relation's or anybody's life first for that matter.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kene20(m): 6:49pm On Jun 21, 2008
save a life first
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by romeo(m): 7:11pm On Jun 21, 2008
Must tithe be in monetary form? what about farm produce? I can save a life with money and pay my tithe with any other thing i have!!

Is giving to charity not a way of paying tithe? Please i want to know.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 21, 2008
One sad thing I found out is that most modern day christians have been conned into thinking that tithes is the money you give to the church. Tithes is the money you give to GOD and at the last time i checked, no pastor or building was GOD.

"Whatsoever you do, for the least of my brothers, you do unto me" Your brother is GOD. The guy burnt by acid begging on the street is GOD. Your family member who has no money to eat and has come begging when its only your tithe money remaining is GOD. The over 2 million people who die of malaria every year that you could buy treated nets for are GOD. So do not decieve yourself my friend. The millions who need AIDS medicine are GOD.

Don't pay your hard earned money to a pastor and expect a miracle. BE THE MIRACLE. There is so much that your money can do that is so much better than dashing one guy who rides around in fancy cars and wears only white suits. Do you know the pain cancer sufferers go through?!! Give that money to cancer research and see if God will not bless you.

That is why oyibo, even though they do not go to church still get blessed by God. Angelina Jolie bought 90,000 mosquito nets for people in africa with her own money. 90,000 people will not die of malaria because of her.

Someone actually posted "I pay my tithes and don't ask any questions what the pastor does with the money" Lol. That is how pastors get rich my dear. Th
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MALAMA(f): 7:56pm On Jun 21, 2008
I would save my relative's life o,even if the person is just my neighbour not neccessarily a relative.Apart from the fact that I dont believe we Christians have anything to do with tithes,I would give my offering money to my relative who needs it.What if I was the one in his/her position?I believe God is more interested in us loving our fellow humans.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by manmustwac(m): 8:05pm On Jun 21, 2008
save a soul you idiot or you think say mana go fall from heaven and you will be able to save your person back home?

the person back home go mud throw way
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by AKO1(m): 8:10pm On Jun 21, 2008
My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

You've paid your monthly bills, all is taken care of and the remaining change is your for your tithe when a relation calls from home asking for the equivalent of your tithe to save her father or mothers life. Do you apply the obedience rule and ignore her or do you give her the money to save the life and disobey God?

Is it not possible to [b]sacrifice [/b]the tithe amount from one's disposable income for that month? After all it is for a life!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Aniomaman(m): 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2008
I wonder why you would rather give tithe than let your fellow man die? So you actually think God will clap for u? Please you christians should quit playing religion and be human for once! Am glad we still have people who have a heart BUT don't claim to be all righteous and quote all the bible passages to back up their inhuman hearts! Geez I can't even believe someone could actually think of doing that!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 21, 2008
Save a relative's life of course. This is obvious enough.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Esss(m): 11:07pm On Jun 21, 2008
What the heck is with this question??

Pay your thithe first and then your relative prolly a member of the immediate family Dies. How would you live with yourself?? Every tithe you pay after that would only remind you how you killed a relative.

What do these chrictians think will happen??

They pay their tithe,
A close family relative dies,
They go to God in prayers, reminding him that they have been faithful (with their tithe)
Then their pastor will attend the funeral, and say "Lazarus come forth". And it will all be alright.

What a bunch of suckas. I guess on the last day you'll be greeted with "welcome O good and faithful servant who sacrificed his/her relative to God"
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by noetic(m): 11:08pm On Jun 21, 2008
@ poster

how come the tithe is all that remains. It should be the first thing to pay once you recieve your gross pay.

cheers
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Memi(f): 5:56am On Jun 22, 2008
Its funny that you talk about this as here in Florida our local radio station was adking this very same question. I thoroughly beleive in tithing and as believers we do this based on scripture Malachi 3:11 , at the same token God knows what your intentions were before the family member called and needed your help God is also a rewarder of those who do good , He would not want you to neglect the family member and pay your tithes , Tithing is also based on faith as well , when you pay your tithes you are saying to God "I trust you with what I have and appreciate you allowing me to earn an income " God will not have you lack even if you have to use your tithes money to help someone in need , He will honor your faithfullness
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:42am On Jun 22, 2008
One sad thing I found out is that most modern day christians have been conned into thinking that tithes is the money you give to the church. Tithes is the money you give to GOD and at the last time i checked, no pastor or building was GOD.
God said, bring your tithes to my HOUSE.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:44am On Jun 22, 2008
I would save my relative's life o,even if the person is just my neighbour not neccessarily a relative.Apart from the fact that I don't believe we Christians have anything to do with tithes,I would give my offering money to my relative who needs it.What if I was the one in his/her position?I believe God is more interested in us loving our fellow humans.
Do you know that if you follow this rule in Nigeria where half of your relatives and neighbours beg for one help or another everytime, you will not be able to give a dime to the church?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:45am On Jun 22, 2008
Must tithe be in monetary form? what about farm produce? I can save a life with money and pay my tithe with any other thing i have!!

Is giving to charity not a way of paying tithe? Please i want to know.
Giving to charity is not the same as tithing. There is a provision for those that give to charity. Christ said, " blessed are the merciful for the shall obtain mercy".
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:47am On Jun 22, 2008
Ps 127:1
"Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain." (NKJV)

If God refuse to heal, then not your money
!
Are you saying that if i give them the money to go to hospital, the patient will surely die because i disobeyed God by not paying my tithes first?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? / What Does The Jehovah Witness & Watchtower Magazine Teach That Is Wrong ? BEWARE / Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.