Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check (24201 Views)

Atiku Is 65% Sure Of Winning APC Ticket- Campaign DG / Asari-dokubo: Arrest Obasanjo, Atiku, Others Now For Role In PDP Crisis / Is The PDP Certificate Of Registration With Obasanjo, Atiku Or Lamido? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Nobody: 4:49am On Sep 11, 2013
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has yet again opened up over the estranged relationship between him and his former deputy, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, saying that despite the fact that the latter was corrupt during their regime, he (Obasanjo) had to take him along for his second term in office in 2007 due to expediency.

“At that time, politically, I needed to carry him (Atiku) along but then to put him in check,” said Obasanjo.

Obasanjo, who said that he was unaware of Atiku’s activities until law enforcement agencies in America alerted his government, however, confessed that he could not in good conscience ask that his deputy be investigated then.

He, however, said he could not ignore the calls by the Americans to investigate the ex-vice president, which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) did then.

The ex-president added that the allegations by the Americans were justified since Atiku is a fugitive in United States.

“I don’t know if he can go to America…He travels? Travels to where? To Dubai? Let him go to America and return to Nigeria”.

He also took a swipe at the same EFCC, saying that the commission had lost its original vision of a bold and fearless agency capable of fighting economic and financial crimes in the country.

Obasanjo made this criticism in an interview published in the current and special edition of Zero Tolerance magazine, a publication of the anti-graft agency to mark its 10th year anniversary.

Obasanjo also denied ever prompting Ribadu to investigate anybody for political reasons but he was quick to admit that Ribadu went haywire.

The ex-president also faulted the choice of Mrs. Faridi Waziri to head the commission after its pioneer chair, Nuhu Ribadu, was unceremoniously removed by the late Ptresident Yar’Adua, saying she did not have the cognate experience and connection needed for the position.

Talking about Nigeria’s position on global corruption index before and now, he said: “There was a lot of work that was done to achieve that feat (moving from position number 2 to 45). I think we have come down to only being above 34 countries; that shows that there must be a lot that the EFCC should be doing that they are not doing.When you have gone that far down, it becomes very difficult to climb again.”

“I had the vision of an EFCC that will be fearless, bold, untied to the apron strings of the executive, legislature or anybody for that matter, and Ribadu was bold, fearless. I never told him this is the one you should pursue and investigate.

“When I was personally accused, I sent the mail to EFCC and to ICPC. I asked him to carry out clinical investigation, leave nothing out, and they did. And EFCC of my dream carried it out; that is the type of EFCC that I want,” said the ex-president.

Also recalling events leading to the build-up to the 2007 general elections, Obasanjo said: “He (Ribadu) brought a report to me and said these people are corrupt; how can I, in my position, receive a report that said these people were corrupt.

“I didn’t ask him to carry out an investigation. He even came out and said he had found 28 governors as corrupt and later on, unfortunately, Ribadu hobnobbed with one of the governors he had found corrupt and that is where things started going haywire,” Obasanjo said.

He, who said Ribadu did very well until he lost his direction when he (Obasanjo) left, however, faulted the way he was kicked out of office and declared if given the opportunity he (Obasanjo) would re-appoint Ribadu as EFCC chair and warn him to desist from corrupt company.

“He did so well that he became a threat even to the incoming administration; that’s what happened. He was so successful that his success began to be a problem for him,” he added.

On why Ribadu’s successor was a wrong choice, Obasanjo said he learnt that it was a now convicted governor who scouted for her for the late Yar’Adua administration.

“I know that the woman they brought to replace Ribadu (Farida Waziri) was not the right person for that job, because I understood that one of those who head-hunted her was James Ibori. If James Ibori who is now in a UK Prison for fraud head-hunts somebody who will fight corruption in Nigeria, then you can understand what happened,” said the ex-president.

Waziri, however, in the same edition of the magazine, denied ever knowing ex-governor Ibori until she met him after her appointment at the presidential villa during one of her routine visits to President Yar’Adua.

“I never knew him. I never knew James Ibori. When I was appointed, I went to the Villa very often because the president called his staff and told them Farida has free access to him 24/7, whether in the office or villa. So I went there very often and I met Ibori; he was always there,” Waziri said.

She said the Ibori toga probably stuck to her through a former minister of justice, Michael Kaase Aondoka, who she called her “younger brother” on account of hailing from the same local government area in Benue State who, she said, was close to Ibori.
http://leadership.ng/news/110913/why-i-needed-atiku-though-he-was-corrupt-obasanjo
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Okimski(m): 5:15am On Sep 11, 2013
Wow

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by bestman09(m): 5:25am On Sep 11, 2013
Atiku again! So he is a fugitive? And he behaves like a saint in Nigeria, seeking to rule Nigeria by fire, by force. We are watching.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Nobody: 5:46am On Sep 11, 2013
Atiku the New PDP thief...........no be me dem go fool............anyway even APC is filled with same people so i will just stand aside and get ready to run to Niger where my small change go make me LG chairman since dem poor for there grin grin grin grin grin

so i am 1st to say end time tinz grin grin grin grin grin let me thank God and my mummy and my daddy dat made it possible and mama bose and anty bisi dat bought me 100 naira recharge card to i can get MB and for my brother dat bought me the phone and to my teacher that taught me how to write and to my uncle dat showed my Nairaland.....make i continue ni ........d list plenty oh........... grin grin grin grin

32 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Akpaife(m): 6:06am On Sep 11, 2013
Ok Atiku pls prove ur self dat u can travel 2 Usa n come back n nothing will happen

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 11, 2013
God forgive me, but I don't know why I hate Atiku, I just hate him, and I hate hating him, sincerely.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by albiol: 6:39am On Sep 11, 2013
There is a chain of corruption in nigeria u can't be at the top if u are not corrupt. Obj needed atiku money to campaign for 99 election obj and atiku are corrupt. Obj brought ribadu on to witch hunt his enemies obj and ribadu are corrupt. Yar'adua removed ribadu and replaced him with farida who is from d same state with d minister of justice aondoaka of which it was ibori dat nominated his as minister

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by clip: 6:47am On Sep 11, 2013
The fearless Obj.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by NewsINigeria(m): 6:50am On Sep 11, 2013
You can never hate this man (Our Baba) forever. I love Baba. Call him any name, don't worry, you will soon be old too.

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Rexsul: 6:54am On Sep 11, 2013
obj caln atiku corrupt....hmmm i c d world comin 2 an end soon lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by ochilikoko(m): 6:59am On Sep 11, 2013
98% of Nigerians ar Hideously Corrupt. Being more precise,all the Politician in Nigeria is very corrupt
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Rhemar(m): 7:02am On Sep 11, 2013
Rexsul: obj caln atiku corrupt....hmmm i c d world comin 2 an end soon lipsrsealed
As if OBJ himself is any better

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Kingspin(m): 7:09am On Sep 11, 2013
Atiku is a very greedy mammal and a high profile criminal in looting(money) his face alone tells that.

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Segadem(m): 7:15am On Sep 11, 2013
Rexsul: obj caln atiku corrupt....hmmm i c d world comin 2 an end soon lipsrsealed
There's more to it.I believe it's a matter of time everything that happened between the two would soon be reveal.
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by holyvirgin: 7:21am On Sep 11, 2013
ATIKU is another version of tinubu, those two desperate nigerians are not just thieves but equally dishonest eediotas.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by wales774(m): 7:22am On Sep 11, 2013
atiku, obj,jonathan , ribadu, and all does bastard in government are all mad........end time thinz winkatiku, obj,jonathan , ribadu, and all does bastard in government are all mad........end time thinz

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by ChinoIsBack: 7:29am On Sep 11, 2013
OBJ and ATK are both crooks. Both need to be burn alive..

GEJ is a better person to the two..

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by tatosh: 7:38am On Sep 11, 2013
Whether OBJs intentions were good or bad for Nigeria, the fact is he's the cause of whatever problems Nigeria is facing today by putting asshooles like Yardua and Jonathan in power.
The Solution is simple: Vote APC in 2015

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 11, 2013
obansanjo,and Atiku should be replaced with the two thieves beside Jesus on the cross....walai.

this is case of kettlr,caling pot black.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by talktimi(m): 7:44am On Sep 11, 2013
According to our amiable baba, Ribadu came out and said he had found 28 corrupt governors yet unfortunately he started hobnobbing with one of those corrupt governors. Can anyone place a wild guess on who this "mystery" corrupt (ex)governor Ribadu was gallivanting around town is ? I dont want to say its the one who promised to make him president o grin

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 11, 2013
adeaugustus: God forgive me, but I don't know why I hate Atiku, I just hate him, and I hate hating him, sincerely.

in michael jacksons voice "you are not alone."

i no fansy the guy for anything. even state governor.

11 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by dridowu: 7:54am On Sep 11, 2013
I dislike atiku but i like the way he is causing confusion in feedeefee

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by dalhat14(m): 8:04am On Sep 11, 2013
Obj was also quoted in this interview to have stated that Ribadu could not have brought a report to him from thre US that Atiku was corropt and he(OBJ) refuse to investigate- according to Nation newspaper, forgetting that in d ideal setting, the attorney general should go ahead and prosecute without recurse to him, and that even he himself should be placed under d search light and not be d self appointed police
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Built2last: 8:18am On Sep 11, 2013
In my opinion, the best way for Atiku to respond to this is o travel to U.S and return safely. If he can't then, i give twale to OBJ.
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by idriis: 8:22am On Sep 11, 2013
adeaugustus: God forgive me, but I don't know why I hate Atiku, I just hate him, and I hate hating him, sincerely.
oh look at this lil miserable hater undecided oh bro, sorry you got hate in your blood..you need cleansing.
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by ebukaOtika(m): 8:28am On Sep 11, 2013
grin grin grin cry
Yomieluv: obansanjo,and Atiku should be replaced with the two thieves beside Jesus on the cross....walai.

grin
Yomieluv: obansanjo,and Atiku should be replaced with the two thieves beside Jesus on the cross....walai.that means one must go to heaven fa

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 11, 2013
2iic:

He, who said Ribadu did very well until he lost his direction when he (Obasanjo) left, however, faulted the way he was kicked out of office and declared if given the opportunity he (Obasanjo) would re-appoint Ribadu as EFCC chair and warn him to desist from corrupt company.

He did so well that he became a threat even to the incoming administration; that’s what happened. He was so successful that his success began to be a problem for him,” he added.

He just called Goodluck Jonathan corrupt, people think hes attacking Atiku. Atiku is finished, everyone except Atiku sees this. OBJ is sending a message to the Western World with this pronouncement. He has been doing this for a little while now. If GEJ doesnt figure out a way to rig himself back in as President I bet anything he well be headed to prison along with his wife and their fellow illiterate, thieving associates. Even GEJ knows this.
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by themaskedman: 8:52am On Sep 11, 2013
Bulls**t
Atiku is corrupt yet you hobnob and dine with him to frustrate GEJ.
NO MAKE ME CALL AMADIOHA TO FIRE YOU EEDIIOTT.
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by themaskedman: 9:04am On Sep 11, 2013
kingoflag:

He just called Goodluck Jonathan corrupt, people think hes attacking Atiku. Atiku is finished, everyone except Atiku sees this. OBJ is sending a message to the Western World with this pronouncement. He has been doing this for a little while now. If GEJ doesnt figure out a way to rig himself back in as President I bet anything he well be headed to prison along with his wife and their fellow illiterate, thieving associates. Even GEJ knows this.
What an idiotic and imbecilic comment. Your stupidity means you must drag GEJ into this even when it‘s not his business. I see many of you developing HBP and even strike come 2015.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by jeron1(m): 9:04am On Sep 11, 2013
thief pass thief
Re: Obasanjo - Atiku Is Corrupt, I Chose Him To Put Him In Check by tawa89(f): 9:08am On Sep 11, 2013
kingoflag:

so GEJ suceeded OBJ? You knew OBJ was referring to Yar' dua yet you had to bring in GEJ into this discourse. I will now start screening everything you APC guys say on NL and stop believing everything you guys say because it seems like you people are veterans in twisting facts nd spewing propaganda..... Wonders shall never end.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Visits Governor Ganduje Over Death Of His Mother. Photos / Uduaghan Confirms Plan To Defect To APC And Dump PDP / “Four Years Course For You, Four Years Job” - Tinubu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.