Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,972 members, 7,956,628 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:51 PM

Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery (12124 Views)

Involve Us In Construction Of $14bn Dangote Oil Refinery — Indigenous Firms / Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 / Harvard Business Review June 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by devigblegble: 10:46am On Sep 13, 2013
Ok.com
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by dallyemmy: 10:53am On Sep 13, 2013
it is my prayer that these lobbyist groups and people who plays politics with everything will destroy this great nation!
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by JingoOAU(m): 10:53am On Sep 13, 2013
This is a welcome development and a right decision coming at a time when our hope in industrialisation is fading bit by bit. This move will spur greater economic transformation and development we have been longing for and I hope the government would assist this project in whatever capacity required of them.

Nevertheless, I wanted to point out one thing which I know I might be accused or get banned. This project was a vision of an Hausa man, nobody boasted, or insinuated that the Hausas industrialised the southwest, nor was there any acrimony as per Dangote and the Yorubas. Had it been that this project was to be a brain-child of some business-moguls from the Eastern part of Nigeria, a lot of boasting and blabbing would have enlogate this thread from just two pages to over 50pages.

I was flabbergasted and puzzled that nobody is praising Dangote to the high-heaven as some would have done if this feat were to be attained and achieved by their tribesmen

2 Likes

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 13, 2013
Always taking 'calculated ' risks... love this dude #no homo
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by SUBMARINE: 11:00am On Sep 13, 2013
@YORUBAS DANGOTE is a hausa-fulani man with the mindset of a typical business Igboman. No wonder his name which sounds Igbo means Dan(Short form of Daniel) Gote (Buy in Igbo language).
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 13, 2013
If they don't allow their greed and selfishness to stop him and think about the greater good then it will be a great achievement for our economy and future. I wish him success.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by solomon111(m): 11:07am On Sep 13, 2013
SUBMARINE: @YORUBAS DANGOTE is a hausa-fulani man with the mindset of a typical business Igboman. No wonder his name which sounds Igbo means Dan(Short form of Daniel) Gote (Buy in Igbo language).
smh.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by kashflynn(m): 11:10am On Sep 13, 2013
Who cares if he make him SSSSSUPER wealthy and concentrates so much power on him... That's d reward of success and venture lyk dis are not ment 4 boi who are drinking milk, but that chews iron with their teeth.. Finally some1 is brking d chuckle of nigerian indigenous industrialization... I keeping saying this and wld always say it.. No country can grow to full strength and potential if dey only depend more foreign investment for idustrlisation and care less about indigenous idustrlisation.. E.g. USA, CHINA, RUSSIAN, BRITAIN to mention a few.. All this ppl grew their economy country by them self not foreigner, even dough they attract foreign investment to boost their foreign earning, cuase no man knows and care 4 ur own house better than u... Last b4 i go Nigeria has 1100 economic idustrlisation potential dat i have self discovered untapped and 1 individual or organization cant do this alone.. I rest my case.... God bless us all and bless Nigeria.. Amen...

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by kashflynn(m): 11:10am On Sep 13, 2013
Who cares if he make him SSSSSUPER wealthy and concentrates so much power on him... That's d reward of success and venture lyk dis are not ment 4 boi who are drinking milk, but that chews iron with their teeth.. Finally some1 is brking d chuckle of nigerian indigenous industrialization... I keeping saying this and wld always say it.. No country can grow to full strength and potential if dey only depend more foreign investment for idustrlisation and care less about indigenous idustrlisation.. E.g. USA, CHINA, RUSSIAN, BRITAIN to mention a few.. All this ppl grew their economy country by them self not foreigner, even dough they attract foreign investment to boost their foreign earning... Last b4 i go Nigeria has 1100 economic idustrlisation potential dat i have self discovered untapped and 1 individual or organization cant do this alone.. I rest my case.... God bless us all and bless Nigeria.. Amen...
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by solomon111(m): 11:11am On Sep 13, 2013
4C2215131:

The suggestion of the author of the paper with regards to curbing the seemingly 'too much power' being vested on one man courtesy of his being the majority shareholder is very valid. Remember what USA did to Microsoft?

The author's concern for the regulation of the potential power that would be conferred on Dangote courtesy of his refinery is a very valid one. With that much power one man can be the sole determinant of who rules the country. Developed countries know this hence their various laws to put conglomerates in check such that no group of persons or cabal can blackmail the government virtue of their economic strength which in tun is informed by their formidable financial base.

All in all,it is a very welcome development. Kudos to the man Dangote. But all of this would be a curse if he kotows to the siren songs of ethnicity and if he heeds the voice of religious intolerance as these are some of the bane of Nigeria today.
let us have the refineries first before we start talking of how to reduce dangote's control.
Btw,nobody is stopping anybody from building his/her own refinery.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Chiscomax(m): 11:11am On Sep 13, 2013
Thebrightest: [size=20pt] Just passing by...[/size]
[size=50pt]__/""""|""""\_____
|__/@\____/@\___|% wink [/size]
[size=20pt]WOW! First to comment.
Anyways back to the matter at hand, i am really proud of Dangote. He is a blessing to Nigeria. I know that one day, i wil be wealthier than him
[/size]
© 2013... Brightest™
this post has been hidden
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 11:13am On Sep 13, 2013
Capnd143: i strongly believe there should be a business module forged from dangote's business ideosyncrasies, his business strategy is unique, bank-breaking and risky, yet popular and profitable - where Western investors shy away from due mainly to security and lack of market information is where Dangote swims in, places like IRAQ, TANZANIA, SUDAN, the middle east, and north africa where there is a volatile political environment and high perception of insecurity which might not necessarily be true is where Dangote pumps his wealth into, and most importantly in sectors where westerners fear to trade, it is no news that trying to build and oil refinery is perhaps the business with thd most dreaded political opposition due to industrial lobbyist, but coincidentally thats the Sector Mr.DANGOTE CHOSES TO SWIM IN. Well i call "The Dangote business Module".

It was originally formulated by Alhaji AlHassan Dantata (Dangote's great grandfather). It includes out-investing the competition (volume trading), non-participation in partisan politics, having close ties to people in government, investing where nobody else wants to invest, etc.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 13, 2013
when will this toady validation from the west end? we suck, that much we know, no amount of praise will change squat unless we gird our loins, and do the work needed to rebuild society from the ground up.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Updatenewsarena(m): 11:25am On Sep 13, 2013
Dangote has moved ahead of other blushing business men.
God help me too
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Greenslim: 11:27am On Sep 13, 2013
ok
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 11:31am On Sep 13, 2013
I wonder if the market will be able to absorb the extra capacity that will be created. Oando Group is also going to build a refinery in Badagry (part of Chagoury's new business city) and the Chinese, Lagos State and Federal Government are going to build one in Lekki.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Originalsly: 11:40am On Sep 13, 2013
Great move. Why are so many stuck on the possible negative that Dangote may have too much power and influence? Didn't the report also say the risk is worth taking? It is best that the resources of any country be maximized by its citizens/local companies and not by foreigners. I wish him success and hope the FG give him all the support he needs. Why import what can be produced locally?
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by davedave1: 11:41am On Sep 13, 2013
Chiscomax: who hide my post so?? i am a nairalander and i know my rights. i have done nothing to deserve this. i can not just waste that mb
Sharap dia, u are adviced to remain silent, anything u say now will be used against u in d court of law, u have right for an attorney, if u cannot afford one, nairaland will produce one for u !!!
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by omonnakoda: 11:55am On Sep 13, 2013
davefieldpop: With time Dangote will be more powerful dan d president - control d economy, control d nation.
With Time Dangote like everyone else will pass away...........
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by AnanseK(m): 12:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
mars123: "Too much power in one man's hand"...if Nigeria diversify its economy,far beyond oil and gas,then that won't be the case.

Dangote is diversified. He is a late arrival in oil & gas.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 12:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
naptu2: I wonder if the market will be able to absorb the extra capacity that will be created. Oando Group is also going to build a refinery in Badagry (part of Chagoury's new business city) and the Chinese, Lagos State and Federal Government are going to build one in Lekki.

EXPORT

there are very few refineries in West africa
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by AnanseK(m): 12:07pm On Sep 13, 2013
naptu2: I wonder if the market will be able to absorb the extra capacity that will be created. Oando Group is also going to build a refinery in Badagry (part of Chagoury's new business city) and the Chinese, Lagos State and Federal Government are going to build one in Lekki.

The substance of the story (simplified) is that Dangote's move is more likely to happen than those you mentioned.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by prettyify(f): 12:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
A man with a mission and vision! cheesy
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by karpentar: 12:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
I hope the crude oil feed to the proposed refinery is secured. That's the only area I forsee problems.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
Should the capacity outstrip the local demand...they could take advantage of the valuable fuel import markets within the region.....instructively the bulk of fuel imports in countries like niger,benin,togo,ghana etc are smuggled from nigeria due to the existent govt subsidy .this project is the single most beneficial to this country's economy we have seen yet..addressing the bulk of our energy needs, providing direct employment for 8000
engineers and thousands more in indirect employment...I am indeed excited
Also...compared to the other projects, Dangote's own is much more feasible with viable funding sources from both local and international banks, sufficient political connections to remove unnecessary red tape...
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by PStacks(m): 12:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dangote is one of the happiest reasons I enjoy being a Nigerian..
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by 3ace(m): 12:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
The promise of job creation — the refinery project is expected to employ 8,000
engineers and create jobs for 85,000
Nigerians — has excited many
commentators.
I'm excited too.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 13, 2013
AnanseK:

Dangote is diversified. He is a late arrival in oil & gas.
true he is a late comer but watch as he makes all petroleum products tank farms and marketers kneel before him as their only source of products as he will ensure his products price are lower and effectively erode profit of marketers should they decide to import products instead of buying from him.

I see another Johnson rockefella in the making.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DankemzI(m): 12:18pm On Sep 13, 2013
POLITICAL MATHS: (MTH419)
Show your workings:
If APGA+CPC+ANPP+ACN = APC
and EFCC+ICPC+GEJ+JEGA = PDP,
(a) Using Pythagoras theorem prove that: PDP =APC.
(ii) Using Almighty Formula where JEGA is constant
what is the value of PDP?
(b) If Tinubu/Buhari/ Okorocha varies, what is
the coefficient of APC.
(c) If PDP is constant, what is the cube root of rigging
coefficient? Take pi=3.1
Your time starts now!

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 12:19pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

EXPORT

there are very few refineries in West africa

smiley that's what I mean. The new refinery in Niger Republic, the planned refineries in Ondo, Lekki and Badagry all remind me of this.

[size=14pt]Why we can’t build refinery in Nigeria-Shell[/size]

on March 02, 2012 at 3:00 pm in News

Mr Malcolm Brinded, the outgoing Executive Director of Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), says the company cannot build a refinery in Nigeria because there are surplus refineries across the world.

Brinded, who is in-charge of the Upstream International unit of the company, made the statement in an interview with the State House correspondents, after a farewell visit to President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House.

The out-going Shell chief in Nigeria, who led a delegation to the State House, Abuja, said rather than build new refineries, the company was divesting from those it had interest in around the world.

“With respect to downstream, two comments there. Shell is divesting from refineries all over the world because there is a surplus of refineries; we no longer own any refineries even in the United Kingdom.

“I will also say because of the surplus of refineries available in a way, one has to look very closely whether building new refineries is a good investment for anyone not just for Shell but for countries involved.

“In today’s world, not looking at the past but where we are today, there is surplus of refinery capacity which essentially means many refineries in the world run at a loss.

“Which also means one can get refined products back again and pay very little for it to be refined,’’ he said.

Brinded said that building refineries was no longer profitable and that informed the company’s decision to invest in the gas sector.

According to him, Shell would continue to invest in the development of the gas sector, adding: “I do believe that investment in the downstream sector, especially gas sector in Nigeria, as I touched on, is very important.

“Nigeria has huge resources of gas that have yet to be unlocked and the potential to add to that gas not only in power but in other ways in the country.

“I think there are a lot of opportunities for Nigeria and for Shell in Nigeria and the potential much more than to consider refining.’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/why-we-cant-build-refinery-in-nigeria-shell/
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Onota: 12:19pm On Sep 13, 2013
Good one ...
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Chiscomax(m): 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2013
davedave1:
Sharap dia, u are adviced to remain silent, anything u say now will be used against u in d court of law, u have right for an attorney, if u cannot afford one, nairaland will produce one for u !!!

hahaha, you want make i scatter the court??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Largest Sum You Have Ever Misplaced? / Good News To Football Lovers / Naira May Depreciate To 386/dollar In H2 —pwc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.