Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,355 members, 7,836,457 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? (4368 Views)

Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 20, 2013
When someone said precolonial igbos didn't have beans was when I knew I had to quit this thread...

BTW, how does one prove that 'akara' is a more 'advanced' food than 'okpa'?

Is there some sort of food test to prove or disprove that? undecided

1 Like

Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by odumchi: 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^Let me keep living in denial till what's left of their culture finally erodes.

Imagine Odumchi claiming that the red and white wooly hat isn't European lol.

Still don't know when Igboland started having winter season.

So you couldn't respond to my simple questions but now have the effrontery to reappear piggybacking on Alj Harem? Lol. You clearly haven't been here [on Nairaland] long enough to know that Alj Harem is among those characters who are not to be taken seriously.

The fact that this guy thinks beans (which originated in Africa and Asia) never existed in Igboland prior to the advent of Europeans kills me even more. I won't even bother.

This is clearly a case of one blind man leading another.
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by Bimpss(f): 4:02pm On Sep 20, 2013
I personally don't think the igbo culture is weak, they're just not teaching the children born outside of igboland the language and customs. Can one say that the Yoruba culture is weak because of some parents who decide to speak only English to their children outside of Nigeria? No. Same applies here.
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2013
odumchi:
So you couldn't respond to my simple questions but now have the effrontery to reappear piggybacking on Alj Harem? Lol. You clearly haven't been here [on Nairaland] long enough to know that Alj Harem is among those characters who are not to be taken seriously.

The fact that this guy thinks beans (which originated in Africa and Asia) never existed in Igboland prior to the advent of Europeans kills me even more. I won't even bother.

This is clearly a case of one blind man leading another.

What's there to answer in your questions? All I saw was an emotions-laden post not worthy of a response - and if I had responded, it would have led to a shouting match.

Anyway, it's better to leave you in your denial than argue against it. And I'd rather debate Igbo culture with Ezeagu than you, to be honest. At least Ezeagu tries as much as possible to post without unnecessary emotions.
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by odumchi: 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2013
Radoillo: When someone said precolonial igbos didn't have beans was when I knew I had to quit this thread...

BTW, how does one prove that 'akara' is a more 'advanced' food than 'okpa'?

Is there some sort of food test to prove or disprove that? undecided

Let's not even entertain this idea of "advanced food". Hapu ha.
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2013
Again self deceit is the worst thing one can do to himself. Do you know why ? People lie to their kids ? It is pride, low self esteem

Now to the topic. As Andre said, cultures are dynamic. Todays China is different from that 100 years ago. Todays Hausa has a lot of fulani, yoruba culture in them. Todays yorubas have a lot of Hausa and fulani even edo and fons in them. These groups are not in denial but have realised the truth and as all cultures, they have embraced other aspect of other cultures..

These has lead me to the question why likes of odumchi are in denial ? Low self esteem ? Lack of knowledge maybe ? Or even ignorance.passed down from generations.( no insults just facts)

Even the yorubas know that abgada is from fulani babban riga. Fact just modified

Now aspect that WERE NEVER IN IGBO CULTURES are now added such as the red winter hat, akara food, moi moi food, ewedu, egusi food, etc

I have heard a lot of people saying egusi, all forms of beans are igbo food and I just laugh . It's funny really. I think rather than argue on the internet go to your village and ask your old people for the truth. I hope they don't lie

1 Like

Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:49pm On Sep 20, 2013
Btw it does not mean the culture you borrowed from is better than yours. Fulanis are not better than Yoruba, nupe and Hausa but we learnt a lot from them and vise versa
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by odumchi: 7:06pm On Sep 20, 2013
shymexx:

What's there to answer in your questions? All I saw was an emotions-laden post not worthy of a response - and if I had responded, it would have led to a shouting match.

Anyway, it's better to leave you in your denial than argue against it. And I'd rather debate Igbo culture with Ezeagu than you, to be honest. At least Ezeagu tries as much as possible to post without unnecessary emotions.

The point is that you can't debate what you don't know; you can only hope to learn from those who know. Therefore you can't debate Igbo culture with me [or with Ezeagu].

alj harem: Btw it does not mean the culture you borrowed from is better than yours. Fulanis are not better than Yoruba, nupe and Hausa but we learnt a lot from them and vise versa

Alj Harem, like I said earlier, I don't have time to come and discuss things that don't merit discussion. Neither you nor Shymexx possess any authority to speak authoritatively on anything regarding Igbo people and their culture, tradition and social habits.

Inyi anula (have you heard)?
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:04pm On Sep 20, 2013
This topic was wasn't well thought-out, and that led to an unnecessary (and all things considered, off-topic) argument with no measurable result. Anyway, I see the point that shymexx was trying to make, but in my opinion, it is not a very good one. For the most part, it's not his fault. It is simply the Igbo context. It seems as though people that want to discuss Igbo history and/or culture are often polarized to one of two extremes: 1) They try to focus on the Igbo holistically, which in turn does not leave much to be discussed (due to the fact that Igbo did not exist as a single polity, but rather a multitude of fully independent polities) or 2) They attempt to characterize or define aspects of the Igbo context by focusing on specific groups, which also doesn't leave much to be discussed (since applicability on a pan-Igbo scale becomes very limited, and in some cases non-existent).

Shymexx's point leans heavily toward the first extreme, and that isn't a bad thing. The problem is that, whether or not he realizes, his attempt to explain the "inferiority" of Igbo culture, consequently de-legitimizing it, in turn de-legitimizes the cultures of the various communities, which did in fact develop into independent, well-entrenched and dynamic polities in their own right. So to use the lack of an established central polity to as justification for qualifying Igbo culture[s] as "inferior" is where he is misguided. The misguidedness may just be because he is largely unfamiliar with the Igbo context (an assertion which seems very plausible, considering). Long story short, the basis of his point is valid, but the picture he attempts to paint with it is not.
Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
Also, Aljharem is often not to be taken too seriously in discussions such as this.

3 Likes

Re: Are We Loosing Our Culture To The Yorubas? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2020
Igbo kwenu grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why U Must Visit OGBA ZOO @benin City (photos) / A Stranger Buys You Food While You're Out On A Date With Another Man / 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.