Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? (32430 Views)

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by kashflynn(m): 12:27am On Sep 17, 2013
presher: buy new tank find the nearest nnpc pipe break it and fill the tank congratulation ur are the managing director of vandal$ and co group.no allow civil defence catch unless u go turn to oga at the top
wen u clear ur way no wahala.. No b najia money talk BS works..
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by kashflynn(m): 12:52am On Sep 17, 2013
See comfort zone seekers and medoecarcy at its peak.. So all the engineers wants to get employed in d oil sector even after jaru has made it clear dats its a tight sector only d best are choosen.. Shame on u all, Nigeria has d potential of making some d world richest man on Forbes list.. And instead of our unemployed graduates to put good use of their skill to create somfin of benefits to mankind and in turn create job and make money, they follow d crowed, after we blame government for no job, and we dont won't to create. Problem rise and solution and preferred dats d basic concept of science. Even dough i know economic factor to encourage d private sector is not too strong, but still ppl are making it: through positivity, dedication and commitment.. U cant expect ur parents to raise and Train u till adulthood, and do d same till u die... Anyway d spot, profile, portfolio lyk dangote, Bill Gate, Steve jobs (R.I.P), zara, Ralph luaren to mention a few, aren't ment 4 every 1, but a few noble and courageous set of humanbein lyk me... #team diversify Nigeria Economy.. I wish u all well in ur endeavor
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Penboy: 1:51am On Sep 17, 2013
RedBenson:

Disappear jare from here b4 i open my eyes. Wetin u wan go 'mascom' for oil? Abeg go becom town cryer for ur village jare. Everybody wan chop oil money. Na wao.
you must be a 'nigga' for saying that. Lol. I know some who read mass communications in UNN and worked as a community relations manager for chevron when they had a contract with west african gas company during their trans african project, lagos here. Infact, from badagry to be precise.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:01am On Sep 17, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: [size=30pt]Those days when we dey Uni dey study
Petroleum Engineering, we bin dey happy say when we gradj we go work for oil company...my brother, when we finish, even groundnut oil company we
no see...[/size]

Your faith wasnt strong. My grandma can employ u in her palm oil processing mill. All na 'Oyel'. Apply asap so u fit also claim say u work 4 oil firm.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 17, 2013
lymelyte:
looooooooooooollll cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy @redbenson you nor go kill person.Abeg give d guy small hope na..engineers never get work finish for oil coy,na mass com wan con get abi

Omo eh, d tin vex me die. Instead make him go be town-cryer for him village, na oil money him wan chop. grin See him mouth. Come chop naw make i see when indigenous engineers never even chop.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:35am On Sep 17, 2013
Still on 'Oyel Tinz' I see undecided

IMHO, the petroleum industry is the biggest misfortune to strike this country embarassed

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, mind you. If you desire to work in that industry, all the best to your dreams.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by addictiv(m): 10:25am On Sep 17, 2013
the ict sector in Nigeria is an untapped mine of great opportunities that if well invested can transform the face of the nation and produce freaking billionaires
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by 4C2215131: 10:50am On Sep 17, 2013
Thebrightest: I am suppose to type END TIME THINGS, but i wont.

Must you comment!
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by akereconfi: 10:51am On Sep 17, 2013
lymelyte:
bro,i have the same dream as you.i am a production engineering graduate whom will be serving this nation come nov.I want to do thread a path information technology too but i dont know how to go about it.Please can you shed more light on how to do this.
God bless you as your reply back.
What do u want me to shed more light on?? Opening a thread or what?
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by akereconfi: 10:59am On Sep 17, 2013
addictiv: the ict sector in Nigeria is an untapped mine of great opportunities that if well invested can transform the face of the nation and produce freaking billionaires
TELL dem o.......everybody wan chaw OYEL MONI
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On Sep 17, 2013
addictiv: the ict sector in Nigeria is an untapped mine of great opportunities that if well invested can transform the face of the nation and produce freaking billionaires

How is it ever going to be tapped, when everybody wants to work in the oil companies?
Even the government has refused to transit the nation to a service-oriented economy, and prefers to sit and wait for oil forex receipts. angry
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Zemhen1: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2013
Jarus:

Send email to jarushub@gmail,com and check my blog: www.jarushub.com.

Nice advice @ jarus .......will forward a mail to you, I think I need someone to prove check my career path
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

How is it ever going to be tapped, when everybody wants to work in the oil companies?
Even the government has refused to transit the nation to a service-oriented economy, and prefers to sit and wait for oil forex receipts. angry
It's a concern. Even after 53 years of independence, we are yet to learn our lessons and diversify the economy.
That's why I once said during a debate that it doesn't matter the course we read. But you can't blame an engineering graduate for a having career ambition. If the government is not ready to diversify, I think it falls on us and the smart entrepreneurs to drive the other sectors forward. That's why I will always admire Dangote, Omatek CEO, etc. though we can't all be like them.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by MzShawtiez: 11:58am On Sep 17, 2013
Nigerians and deir negativity. Dis is sm1 dat read pet engineering o....if his course was microbiology or Fishery all dese ur "der r oda sectors 2 b tapped" comments wud hv made sense. D OP is only trying 2 get in2 d sector he went 2 school 4. Abi who go enter sch read petroleum engineerin because he wan work 4 bank...
@ OP... jarus, X-fire and a few gave reasonable advice, work with dis accounting firm 4 now. If u can get into oil company in future, fine. If u cnt, still thankGod 4 d 1 u hv
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by MzShawtiez: 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
kashflynn: See comfort zone seekers and medoecarcy at its peak.. So all the engineers wants to get employed in d oil sector even after jaru has made it clear dats its a tight sector only d best are choosen.. Shame on u all, Nigeria has d potential of making some d world richest man on Forbes list.. And instead of our unemployed graduates to put good use of their skill to create somfin of benefits to mankind and in turn create job and make money, they follow d crowed, after we blame government for no job, and we dont won't to create. Problem rise and solution and preferred dats d basic concept of science. Even dough i know economic factor to encourage d private sector is not too strong, but still ppl are making it: through positivity, dedication and commitment.. U cant expect ur parents to raise and Train u till adulthood, and do d same till u die... Anyway d spot, profile, portfolio lyk dangote, Bill Gate, Steve jobs (R.I.P), zara, Ralph luaren to mention a few, aren't ment 4 every 1, but a few noble and courageous set of humanbein lyk me... #team diversify Nigeria Economy.. I wish u all well in ur endeavor

Jst so u knw....ppl study Petroleum Engineering because dey hv interest in d oil and gas sector. Do u knw how narrow dat course is? If his course was a broad engineering course lyk computer engineering, elect, civil and d rest, ur post wud hv made sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
MzShawtiez: Nigerians and deir negativity. Dis is sm1 dat read pet engineering o....if his course was microbiology or Fishery all dese ur "der r oda sectors 2 b tapped" comments wud hv made sense. D OP is only trying 2 get in2 d sector he went 2 school 4. Abi who go enter sch read petroleum engineerin because he wan work 4 bank...
@ OP... jarus, X-fire and a few gave reasonable advice, work with dis accounting firm 4 now. If u can get into oil company in future, fine. If u cnt, still thankGod 4 d 1 u hv

Trying to make some sense out of your abbreviated jargon, but . . . why did he study petroleum engineering in the first place? Or was he chosen like Mary to bear Jesus? undecided

It's no rocket science to explain why anyone would want to study petroleum engineering in Nigeria. In any case, even Microbiology and Fisheries grads are also trying to get into oil companies.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by etim4school: 4:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
x-fire:
Jarus has said it all. Very good contribution, I must say.
But let me add a few things:

Even with a good grade and various certifications, it still takes a bit of luck, chance and timing to break into the oil and gas industry. I know a number of very sound first class engineering graduates still struggling to break into it. I wanna tell you that a lot of guys in the industry would sincerely tell you they were lucky break into the industry. But with hard work and favour on your side, you will smile at the end.

I must admit it's quite difficult to compete with the large number of engineering graduates for very few vacancies. But do keep that option open while you rigorously pursue breaking into the sector via your accounting experience. I have met a few graduates that have crossed over from banks/FCMG to join oil coys as engineers. I advise you to always take the interview stages one at a time. You will be surprised how far you will go.

It's important that you perform wherever you find yourself. Most recruiters are looking for professionals/graduates who can distinguish themselves or have a track record of performance, irrespective of the field of endeavour. So I advise you to make the best use of your opportunity right now. I never started out as an engineer in my sojourn in the labour market.

One last thing:even though first class has enormous advantages, you don't have to have a first class to get into the oil and gas industry. You just need to have a 2.1 and prove yourself in aptitude tests and interviews. Many first class graduates get screened out during these stages. So don't be discouraged in case you didn't make a first class.

TOTAL TAKES A MINIMUM OF 2:2 FROM ENGINEERS WITH AKWA IBOM AND RIVER STATE INDIGENE AS WELL AS ADDAX TAKE MINIMUM OF 2:2 IN ENGINEERING

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by lymelyte(m): 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
akereconfi:
What do u want me to shed more light on?? Opening a thread or what?
Not necessarily creating a thread but giving me more insight on how to pursue a career in that path.Like where to start from and the journey. grin
We can communicate via email(marshallw00@yahoo.com) if you want.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by igbonla(m): 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Trying to make some sense out of your abbreviated jargon, but . . . why did he study petroleum engineering in the first place? Or was he chosen like Mary to bear Jesus? undecided

It's no rocket science to explain why anyone would want to study petroleum engineering in Nigeria. In any case, even Microbiology and Fisheries grads are also trying to get into oil companies.

Go easy! Everybody is not all the same and wont all be Bill Gates, life is a journey for all of us and our destinations differs. Nobody should be criticized for having a legitimate desire.

We will support you if you open a thread to support what you are preaching here.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by MzShawtiez: 8:48pm On Sep 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

U sound rily bitter 4 no reason. Yea I 4got 2 add dat d OP is my husband so I will ask him y he did petroleum engineering 4 u, mr pessimist. Meanyl, take a hard luk at Igbonla's post, hopefully ur brain will b able 2 process it
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by scobaba: 9:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
Sodiq3: Do Mass communication graduates have any prospect or chance in the oil and gas industry?

Yea bro, they do.
Forget what those guys mocking you are saying. In my office, we have a dept called Public Affairs/ Corporate image. Most of them there read mass comm, english, sociology and public admin. They even have more staff than my dept(finance).
I believe other big exploration firms have such depts, if not a stand alone dept, at least a small division in a large dept. But then, if you don't have connections @ least have a 2.1, dats a starting point. It's only in depts like engineering they consider 2.2 and it's mostly considered when the persons with such result are indegenes in the community where the particular company does most of its economic business.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by scobaba: 9:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

@ ajanlekoko, pally what's up with you 2day now? angry you are somebody I hold in high esteem on NL, when u begin attack people and anyhow talk undecided

Pally easy joor.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Trac: 4:17am On Sep 18, 2013
I'd advise anyone trying to get into the oil sector to make out a clear objective and optimise that. Many are not fit candidates. Yet they have degrees. This clouds the demarcation to differentiate those truly fit from the misfits. Companies - in today's times - do not want to pay for the training and then conclude it as a total loss, because the trained employee fails to meet job criterion/a.

Typical training cost about $30,000 (more or less). The money may not be the factor of annoyance but the downtime.

How do you prove yourself? A graduating set is at equality in terms of academic knowledge, thus degree is issued. What differentiates an alumnus from the other is the experience and concerned continuous-studies. In other words, meet the companies half-way. Spend some money and acquire some skills and certification(s). Your intellectual knowledge at this point is put to test. It might be a bit late for some people but it isn't. Those [still] in school should see to it that they acquire as much (much as in quality) as they can.

Mechanical-Engineers are decentralised. They are more diversed. Industrial/Manufacturing are the most flexible and needed. Petroleum is very restrictive because it is a dedicated and applied form of mechanical engineering. Nevertheless, the ground is still common.

What skills are many presenting to the oil companies to differentiate from others? The approach should be to eliminate or minimise the competition for consideration.

For Business oriented graduates or undergrads, there are lots of areas that makes you economically valuable.

No doubt: I am discussing with reasonable people here. The summary is to prove that you are of economical value to the proposed company and worth the investment.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by dsypha(m): 7:24am On Sep 18, 2013
Trac: I'd advise anyone trying to get into the oil sector to make out a clear objective and optimise that. Many are not fit candidates. Yet they have degrees. This clouds the demarcation to differentiate those truly fit from the misfits. Companies - in today's times - do not want to pay for the training and then conclude it as a total loss, because the trained employee fails to meet job criterion/a.

Typical training cost about $30,000 (more or less). The money may not be the factor of annoyance but the downtime.

How do you prove yourself? A graduating set is at equality in terms of academic knowledge, thus degree is issued. What differentiates an alumnus from the other is the experience and concerned continuous-studies. In other words, meet the companies half-way. Spend some money and acquire some skills and certification(s). Your intellectual knowledge at this point is put to test. It might be a bit late for some people but it isn't. Those [still] in school should see to it that they acquire as much (much as in quality) as they can.

Mechanical-Engineers are decentralised. They are more diversed. Industrial/Manufacturing are the most flexible and needed. Petroleum is very restrictive because it is a dedicated and applied form of mechanical engineering. Nevertheless, the ground is still common.

What skills are many presenting to the oil companies to differentiate from others? The approach should be to eliminate or minimise the competition for consideration.

For Business oriented graduates or undergrads, there are lots of areas that makes you economically valuable.

No doubt: I am discussing with reasonable people here. The summary is to prove that you are of economical value to the proposed company and worth the investment.

Well writen, well punctuated, but your point is
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:03am On Sep 18, 2013
igbonla:

Go easy! Everybody is not all the same and wont all be Bill Gates, life is a journey for all of us and our destinations differs. Nobody should be criticized for having a legitimate desire.

We will support you if you open a thread to support what you are preaching here.

Everybody doesn't want to be Bill Gates. Right. But everybody wants to work in oil company

MzShawtiez:

U sound rily bitter 4 no reason. Yea I 4got 2 add dat d OP is my husband so I will ask him y he did petroleum engineering 4 u, mr pessimist. Meanyl, take a hard luk at Igbonla's post, hopefully ur brain will b able 2 process it

LOL. cheesy
What's there to be bitter about?
It's not like OP is in the oil company yet, he's just trying to 'break in'. Once he's able to 'break in', then I can start my jealousy trip, abi? grin
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by davide470(m): 8:04am On Sep 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Egbon Sir, ki lo de..
Go easy na.. U suppose dey advice us trying to *break* into...
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:41pm On Sep 18, 2013
davide470:
Egbon Sir, ki lo de..
Go easy na.. U suppose dey advice us trying to *break* into...

I was gonna respond to this, but I thought, lemme not derail this thread totally.
So I will stand down herewith tongue
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by igbonla(m): 3:49pm On Sep 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Everybody doesn't want to be Bill Gates. Right. But everybody wants to work in oil company

LOL. cheesy
What's there to be bitter about?
It's not like OP is in the oil company yet, he's just trying to 'break in'. Once he's able to 'break in', then I can start my jealousy trip, abi? grin

Not sure how you concluded that everybody wants to work in an oil company but there are so many threads here on other endeavors (poultry, fishery, palm oil, Forex trading, etc). Too many threads that are equally beneficial, I actually look forward to seeing one on how to be a politician in Nigeria!

Can't fault your judgement, only trying to get you to take a broader look at issues.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2013
igbonla:

Not sure how you concluded that everybody wants to work in an oil company but there are so many threads here on other endeavors (poultry, fishery, palm oil, Forex trading, etc). Too many threads that are equally beneficial, I actually look forward to seeing one on how to be a politician in Nigeria!

Can't fault your judgement, only trying to get you to take a broader look at issues.

I see what you mean.
This thread is specifically for advice related to the oil industry. Got it 100%.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Trac: 12:27am On Sep 19, 2013
dsypha:

Well writen, well punctuated, but your point is

Are you implying that you did not understand what I published? Or I wasn't clear anywhere?

What did I leave out?

I'm not understanding how you expect to me to respond to you.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by remzytimer: 1:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
No' what we have is cylinder refill LPG tank, sizes: 30 tons, 20 tons and 10 tons

deepwater:

Please sir, do you have cng type 1 bottles, like 300 - 350 bars
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by lymelyte(m): 6:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
Once again, @trac and @all the bros in this thread,please I urgently seek advices from you all.
I am a graduate from production engineering(uniben) currently waiting for nysc batch c.I graduated with a 2.2, what are my chances of breaking into the E&P coy.i recently did a short professional course on drilling(Drilling operations & Equipments)which I paid 60k.Right now,i seriously feel that isn't enough as I need other qualifications to boost my chances but the problem is I don't know which certifications to go for.
I vehemently need all the help I can get from you guys in creating a path toward the dream of working in this sector.
The funding isn't the problem here as I can atleast take care of the bill with my HARD grin earn cash in acquiring the certification here in nigeria.
God bless you all as I quietly and patiently wait for responses. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Simple Jobs Unemployed Nigerians Can Do And Make Money On Fiverr / 17 Golden Rules To Remember In Life / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.