Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? (32428 Views)

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by lymelyte(m): 3:49am On Oct 01, 2013
Chrisbenogor: ..............when you get that break you need to seize the opportunity as well as you can, you need to look to make an impression, not really by forcing it but staying true to who you are and showing what you can bring to the team. Interviews are very important, you "fight" against so many things from personal interest (yes personal interest), to other candidates and it is of utmost importance to be you most confident self.....easier said but I am sure there are better interview tips out there. After this then it is no longer in your hands, you need to sit and allow fate take its course.

Remedial Run -

What I have said many of you already probably know, you also already know that only a very small percentage of people make it. For those that have just graduated, you have 3-4 years max to do re runs of the whole process. You should know the simple tips such as change your email address every time you want to repeat an application process, but still there still only a few people that can be taken. The oil and gas industry is relatively big, and there is more than one way to get into it, if you fail at getting in through the entry level you can take a detour and get some experience from the smaller oil servicing coy (international and indigenous alike) get 3-5 years under your belt and go for the more experienced roles at which point even a 2:2 would suffice. The O&G industry is big and like some people have pointed out theres many things aside from drilling that can get you into it, theres well completions, theres fishing, a lot of simple stuff that indigenous companies are into. I know of a new company Welltec or so which services such as downhole tractor systems, I know a friend who went gate crashed the exam which got marked immediately and he was called for an interview there and then......
the point is you have to put on your shoes and do some ground work as well, the indigenous companies do not have as much inhibition as the IOC's or international servicing companies have when it comes to hiring. If spots are open, gate crashing is allowed. I am not a fan of going for certifications, I think they are a scam and this is just my personal opinion because certification without experience is of no use to any serious person.

I would have expounded more if I had the time but I am sure you catch the drift of what I am saying, I cannot help but finish off with one aspect that is important. Money is good, infact money is very very good but yes money is not everything. There are people making a lot of money outside the O&G sector, theres also people within the O&G sector that do not make as much money. I remember a friend told me he went to write an exam for the roustabout position on the rig and he saw a skinny looking girl writing as well, she wanted to work "offshore" smh...... the funny thing is there is not as much money in that as say working somewhere else and even if there is, the associated dangers and risks involved would not make it worthwhile. I have seen people break their leg in three places, I have seen crushed fingers and I have been lucky so far not to be on a rig that got burnt down ( google KS endeavor). There is a popular saying, "the closer you are to the well head, the poorer you become".

If anyone has specific questions that fall within the purview of what I know I would answer.

Cheers.
Bros, Thanks for the enlightenment.You mentioned something " if the spot are open,you can gate-crash.what do you mean by that? For example,are you saying that anyone can gate-crash regardless his or her own degree(especially a 2.2 engineering lad)?
Please I seriously need 1 or 2 mentors.I personally believe in acquiring skills than certifications.please I need advice on skills to acquire that would make me an hot cake in the industry.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by PalmTree(m): 7:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is widely used across
several fields ranging from Telecomms to Oil and Gas
Industry. Which is why Greenland Consult Nigeria (Geo-spatial
and Remote Sensing experts) have decided to bring this
technology closer to our future leaders. Acquire GIS skills
today and provide your self with an advantage over other job
seekers!
If you are currently studying
Geography, Urban and regional planning, Civil engineering,
Information technology, Estate management, Surveying,
Agric Extension, Public health science and Marketing, we
have customized training classes for all the above listed
disciplines. For hands-on technical training in GIS and
Remote Sensing applications, you can send a mail to
greenlandconsult89@gmail.com or tomimgis@gmail.com.
Phone: 08061185492
We also offer advanced training sessions on Crime mapping
analysis, Land information systems, Forest and natural
resource management, Environmental impact assessment and
Environmental Modelling. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Iamstrata(m): 10:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
PalmTree: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is widely used across
Industry. Which is why Greenland Consult Ltd (Geo-spatial
seekers!
do u mean gis is notuseful for geosciences as well
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by PalmTree(m): 11:57am On Oct 07, 2013
I_am_strata: do u mean gis is notuseful for geosciences as well

No sir, GIS is relevant to all fields. As long as the features are tied to a location, they can be spatially referenced. GIS and RS has been applied to several Geological and Geo-science studies. We are commencing our customized training lessons for GIS applications to Hydrology, Geology and also Geo-physics. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:58am On Oct 08, 2013
PalmTree: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is widely used across
Industry. Which is why Greenland Consult Ltd (Geo-spatial
seekers!
what of Agric(soil science and land resource management)?
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by PalmTree(m): 10:12am On Oct 08, 2013
E-Light:

You are right good sire! GIS can be applied to that field also. I assume that's your specialty, are you interested in a customized GIS training? We can organize a customized training for you. Thanks
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Trac: 6:25am On Oct 19, 2013
E-Light:

Soil-Science is also one of the sectors within oil-and-gas. A strong area/field is pipeline - buried pipeline. The engineering is not as complex. The science is another (whatever your pick is) due to research-and-development. Breaking-in with respect to aforesaid would be "buried pipeline design/engineering." That is if you want to use your educational background. Furthermore, you can't escape soil mechanics. This is elementary, lest you aren't going far. Depending on the company, the use of computational simulations is a must (or will be in the stretch of the career).
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 30, 2014
Jarus: Hello Jarus,

I stumbled on your post on a thread on oil and gas industry on Nairaland. I just need a career advice as I see you are an accountant. I’m a petroleum and gas graduate of a top Nigerian University. I finished my service in February this year and it’s been quite a struggle trying to penetrate the oil and gas industry since then. Luckily, I will be resuming with one of the big accounting firms soon, and already I’m beginning to consider building a financial career path with interest in the energy sector. Is this really a wrong move? A path of me thinks it’s too early (I’ve always had a soft spot for finance, I just want to be in the oil and gas sector, hence my choice of petroleum engineering).

Will I really be able to get into the oil and gas industry as an experienced hire after spending few years with this accounting firm or this is just me dreaming that 3 years accounting experience plus all the accounting certificates and trainings I will gain (possibly and MBA) will be more than enough to get me a financial role in d oil and gas industry? Or I should still continue strutting it out with the millions of engineering graduates trying to get into the energy sector? I just want to know if my newly created career path will pave way for me in about 2-3 years time into the oil and gas sector I’ve always craved for, and if it’s more than 80% possible maybe you could recommend any suitable MBA course that will be relevant to the petroleum industry.

http://www.jarushub.com/how-do-i-break-into-the-oil-gas-industry/
Prepare for your Oil and Gas Job tests, Interviews and Scholarship tests with:

# The Ultimate Oil and Gas Tests Guide

This guide contains hidden but open SECRETS to succeed in :
*SHL Tests;
*Psychometric tests;
*Aptitude Tests;
*Numerical Tests;
*GRE;
*Inductive Reasoning;
*GSE;
*Sample Interview Questions and Answers;
*Sample live tests
*Solutions to past tests
*And many more...
Visit www.oilandgastestsguide.com for more information.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by snowserve(m): 2:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
INDEPENDENCE CELEBRATION PRICE SLASH!!!

Snowserve Consults offers you an opportunity to transform your cv into a professional self-marketing tool for just #1000!!!
This offer includes 2 FREE EBOOKS by seasoned authors on how you can effectively use LinkedIn to secure your dream job. Grab this offer by sending your current cv to snowserve@gmail.com ,Offer lasts till 10th October 2014.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Azijo: 4:33pm On May 14, 2015
Engineering graduate with a Drilling/Well Engineering Training cert. from IPS Uniport urgently needed. Forward it with ur CV to drdnbassey@gmail.com. Its urgent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Simple Jobs Unemployed Nigerians Can Do And Make Money On Fiverr / 17 Golden Rules To Remember In Life / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.