Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? (9654 Views)

Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / If you love car racing(interstate) you need to be here / FRSC: New Driver License to cost N6k & New Vehicle Number Plate Cost N15k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Symphony007: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Been Driving For Only 8 Months, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads?

Hello guys, i've started driving on my 18th birthday. And since then, it has been 8 months of driving. I consider myself good, cause i'm a fast learner, but now i want to drive on an inter state. I want to drive from port harcourt to calabar, a few coursemates and i have an engagement in calabar and since i have a car, we decided i should drive. Initially i was excited but as the date comes closer, i'm having cold feet. Is it too quick? Is my hand strong enough? Can i sit in a car and keep an focus that long? But if i don't do it now, when will i? Taking risk is part of opening new doors in life, what do you'll think?
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
Are U male or female?
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by sultaan(m): 2:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
My opinion is you still have a lot to learn about driving, it takes 2 year to know how to drive so don't do it.

We've all heard stories of young teenagers getting into accidents and it all starts with inexperienced youths getting on the open road.

What is the worst thing that could happen and are you ready to live with it.

With that kind of trip you are not familiar with the road/potholes.you pick a public bus and follow at safe distance(5 secs).
You should know when to pass, move over back off because road is crowded; if one fumbles you are all not going to have a good day.

Get an older 25yrs+ driver in the car as passenger and let him guide you

2 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by tdie: 2:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
I would advice against such a hasty desire to drive interstate.
Driving within town is totally different from driving on our mad highways.
The stretch between Port Harcourt and Uyo (I think that's the only route to Calabar) is very good, but there lies the danger... Its very easy for an inexperienced driver to get carried away.
Then the stretch between uyo and Calabar is messed up and narrow-not advisable for you at this stage.
It will also take you a minimum of 4 hours to get to Calabar from PH.-also not good for a start.
You have a lifetime of driving ahead of you, so no rush.
Have an experienced driver drive you guys, or better still, take a Bus.-there are air conditioned Bus services (ABC) between PH and Calabar.

4 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Gudintent: 2:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
You will never know you are ready until you try cool

Cold feet is natural but you can do it with the support of your friends, hope they are not the rowdy crowds undecided

You need your focus on the roads not mothering or fathering them on your journey. Also check your car is ready for the journey prior to commencing.

In all commit your journey to God and keep safe.

Happy travels

11 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Symphony007: 2:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
Bossforeva: Are U male or female?
i'm a guy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Symphony007: 2:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
sultaan: My opinion is you still have a lot to learn about driving, it takes 2 year to know how to drive so don't do it.

We've all heard stories of young teenagers getting into accidents and it all starts with inexperienced youths getting on the open road.

What is the worst thing that could happen and are you ready to live with it.

With that kind of trip you are not familiar with the road/potholes.you pick a public bus and follow at safe distance(5 secs).
You should know when to pass, move over back off because road is crowded; if one fumbles you are all not going to have a good day.

Get an older 25yrs+ driver in the car as passenger and let him guide you
the oldest among us is 20. He claims to know the routh so we won't need to tail a commercial bus. I see sense in what you said considering nigerian road, let's not also forget robbers(God forbid!) but if i keep procastinating doing something. I might never do it, yet i've got to be sensible. Like you said.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Symphony007: 2:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
t-die:
I would advice against such a hasty desire to drive interstate.
Driving within town is totally different from driving on our mad highways.
The stretch between Port Harcourt and Uyo (I think that's the only route to Calabar) is very good, but there lies the danger... Its very easy for an inexperienced driver to get carried away.
Then the stretch between uyo and Calabar is messed up and narrow-not advisable for you at this stage.
It will also take you a minimum of 4 hours to get to Calabar from PH.-also not good for a start.
You have a lifetime of driving ahead of you, so no rush.
Have an experienced driver drive you guys, or better still, take a Bus.-there are air conditioned Bus services (ABC) between PH and Calabar.
thanks, t die!
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Symphony007: 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2013
Gudintent: You will never know you are ready until you try cool

Cold feet is natural but you can do it with the support of your friends, hope they are not the rowdy crowds undecided

You need your focus on the roads not mothering or fathering them on your journey. Also check your car is ready for the journey prior to commencing.

In all commit your journey to God and keep safe.

Happy travels
you mind set of taking risk is what i was following but the more i think of the other conditions...my doubt grows.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
Symphony007: Hello guys, i've started driving on my 18th birthday. And since then, it has been 8 months of driving. I consider myself good, cause i'm a fast learner, but now i want to drive on an inter state. I want to drive from port harcourt to calabar, a few coursemates and i have an engagement in calabar and since i have a car, we decided i should drive. Initially i was excited but as the date comes closer, i'm having cold feet. Is it too quick? Is my hand strong enough? Can i sit in a car and keep an focus that long? But if i don't do it now, when will i? Taking risk is part of opening new doors in life, what do you'll think?

Young man, having only 8months driving experience doesn't mean u are ripe to take unnecessary risks. Interstate driving goes beyond just hopping into the drivers seat after learning how to drive. A lot of folks knows how to drive in urban centres and have spent a good number of years driving in urban centres but they can't handle the interstates. If I might ask, how well prepared are u mentally, physically, health wise, and psychologically, financially, patience to observe yet having quick judgement and appropriate response time (in dangerous emergency situation), ability to discipline yourself against road rages, over speeding, dangerous driving habits, ability to keep focus and undivided attention to ♈ōϋя̅ drivin, ability to understand your car's handling at any speed and ability know how to handle your cars driving dynamics at highspeeds for extended periods, ability to observe both immediate environment and far ahead for extended periods at a high speed, how well can you observe other road users(drivers, paedistrians, animals) and to guard urself, how well do u know your routes and alternatives, what time of the day are u intending on embarking on this said highway journey. If you can handle all these situation in addition to having a car that's in very good condition I suggest u have an older yet very experienced driver. Who knows the road with u and then you can embark on such journey. Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Ikenna351(m): 5:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
@ lomomike,

Please, i sent you a mail that needs urgent reply. Check your spam folder if you don't find it in inbox. Or sent me your mail via my email address in my signature.

Op, sorry for the interruption.

Ikenna.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ikenna351: @ lomomike,

Please, i sent you a mail that needs urgent reply. Check your spam folder if you don't find it in inbox. Or sent me your mail via my email address in my signature.

Op, sorry for the interruption.

Ikenna.
sir pls send d msg to olulawomichael@gmail.com seems I can't get ur email OP sorry 4 d inconvenience
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Originalsly: 6:48pm On Sep 15, 2013
"I consider myself good".... over confidence right there! Question....if you learn to swim in your neighbor little pool and consider yourself a good swimmer....do you think you are ready to plunge into the river? Why not? No different with local and interstate driving....high speed driving and a loaded car alone need experience to control. There is not much room for mistakes on the road....you can kill or be killed. One stage at a time....after all....you don't move from Kndergarten to University.

1 Like

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
Is there is a big difference between driving in a city and driving in the highway? Yes

Can someone new to driving drive on the highway? Yes/ No/ It depends on the car and the driver

Most of the comments above have treated very salient issues.

There are a few other issues that either come to my mind or that I wish to stress on:

How often have you taken interstate trips not as a driver but as a very attentive passenger?

How sound is your car?

Will you carry some cash on you just in case of trouble?

How good are your reflexes? Can you take major life-defining decisions within split seconds? Do you value your life and the life of others whether in your car, in other cars, or walking on the road?

How good are you at braking? Are you as good at braking as you are in speeding? How good are you at maneuvering the steering wheel at both low speeds and high speed without loosing control?

How do you respond to road rage? Do you have an urge to retaliate when someone does something he should not in front of you or behind you?

DO you realize that is better to disown your rights on the road if it means you will remain alive to drive another day?

Have you taken an oath not to hit another life ( human or animal), not to hit concrete ( road dividers and curbs, etc) and not to hit metal ( other cars, traffic lights and road signs)? And are you willing to do everything not to break that oath as if your life depended on it?

Have you watched at least 30 to 100 videos of accidents on Youtube so you realize that a car can both a fun device and an instrument of death and sorrow?

Will you have company in that car that will encourage you to respect your limitations as a baby driver or who will spur you to go to the limits of your capabilities and that of the car (which I doubt you really know)?

Within a year of steady driving, I wanted the thrill of a first cross-country trip because I felt a car is no use to me if I can only do town runs, and I would never consider myself a driver if I cannot do long distance drives ( which I defined as 800km one way minimum). So I began by ensuring that my car was ok, several trips to the mechanic, several 100km round-trips, followed by 360km round trips and then I did my first 800km trip all alone. I did not tell anyone in my family except one friend I knew would not tell anyone. I started at 9.45am and I arrived 7.30pm. You can imagine how I felt that I could do it! I didn't tell anyone until I arrived.

I did two 1,600km commutes within one year of learning driving and I did it all alone. I didn't carry anyone to guide me or help me or assist me. So it all depends.

During all those previous trips (before the major one the 800km trip), I was extremely attentive to the car and its handling and my capabilities in handling the car, I knew how fast it would do 0 to 60 mph, I knew how fast it could brake from 60 to 0 and everything in between. I knew everything I felt I needed to know. I knew how many miles I go could go with the tank at full and the tank at 1/2 mark and at 1/4 mark and I carried enough money on me

I also fell back on my knowledge of the risks of the road as a very attentive interstate commuter ( not driver), and playing realistic car video games (after all don't pilots use simulators)?

In summary, all I have said above an be summarized as follows: "Are you mature enough?"

I didn't tell anyone because they felt I wasn't mature enough, but I felt that I had conducted enough research and had all the facts at my disposal to do it and I did it.

So if the answer to the question "Are you mature enough?" is YES, then go ahead provided you have done your homework and if not, then please be firm at the wheel before you try it!

15 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by lonelydora: 8:52am On Sep 16, 2013
My brother, I beg u in the name of God, don't try it because btw Ph and Uyo is very tempting, as in overspeeding cos of the good road. U will be carried away. Barely, 8 months is not enough to drive an interstate road.

For more than 2 years, I was the one driving my older brother from Kaduna to Ph whenever he wants to visit, but he drives well in and around Kaduna. He knew there's a big difference between highway and city driving.

My advice- get an experience person in the front seat whom u will be ready to take his advice and not taking ur own decision.

Playing football on a street and playing in a football field are two different things.

1 Like

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Symphony007: 10:39am On Sep 16, 2013
Thanl you very much folks..i'm really loving your advice, and trust me, it helps.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by azat: 1:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
Let me ask o, is there a stipulated amount of time someone must have been driving in the city before they can embark on highway drive, I mean according to law?

I feel 8 months good driving is ok for a try. There is always that first time. Even if one waits for 10yrs the first time will still be the first time.

If you are careful and disciplined, and drive ok in the city, I think the rest depends on your 'mind'.

2 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
WTF kind of thread is this?:!

Is there a recommended number of months you must have been driving for, to qualify you to drive interstate?!

Interstate driving is easier than driving within a town sef..

7 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
Like Nike says, just do it. You'll never be experienced on interstate roads until you drive on interstate roads.

That's how my mother wanted to keep me local, saying I wasn't ready for anything long.... until I took the car and drove to Nevada one day. I did it several times without she or my father knowing lol. Now I'm the one driving them to Nevada as the roads are too scary for mum's liking and dad doesn't know the road like I do.

Practice makes perfect. Experienced drivers in Nigeria didn't get their experience by staying where they're comfortable.

2 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by stagger: 4:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
Even as an experienced driver, it is best to drive inter-state only if you have gone through those roads with public transport. Driving is not just about entering the vehicle, changing gears and turning the steering wheel. Nigerian roads have a lot of nasty surprises.

You may have heard stories of the fake mechanics (actually robbers) who pour oil on people's tires and rob them when they stop. Not to mention the potholes and gullies at hidden areas of the road. Some driving decisions require maturity and experience, and I doubt you have both at your age and with only 18 months driving experience.

Don't dare the elements.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by andymofia(m): 4:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
Symphony007: Been Driving For Only 8 Months, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads?

Hello guys, i've started driving on my 18th birthday. And since then, it has been 8 months of driving. I consider myself good, cause i'm a fast learner, but now i want to drive on an inter state. I want to drive from port harcourt to calabar, a few coursemates and i have an engagement in calabar and since i have a car, we decided i should drive. Initially i was excited but as the date comes closer, i'm having cold feet. Is it too quick? Is my hand strong enough? Can i sit in a car and keep an focus that long? But if i don't do it now, when will i? Taking risk is part of opening new doors in life, what do you'll think?

better go and park that car. you guys should take calculux

1 Like

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Mubby4luv(m): 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
if u tink u gat the balls, just do it and God help u. buh since u are traveling wit frds for the first tym, I won't advice tht coz teenagers have mental disability to do right when with frds. Try taking da drive with matured experience minds couple of tyms or alone cox ur mind will be more reasonable then before talking long journeys with friends. hmmmmm!
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
I ventured interstate roads after 6months of driving but am afraid for your age, 18. its not advisable....

1 Like

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Chris710: 4:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
There is always a first time. Even if you have being driving for 2 years, you'll still shudder a bit when you hit the interstate.
Like someone rightly said, you never know untill you try. But then, how confident and audacious are you cos you might get bullied off the road by those crazy truck drivers, and trust me it's a different ball game.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by point5: 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
Drivin is of heart,self coragious,determinatn n beliv dat u can do it..highway n inter-state drivin is totaly dfrnt 4rm street drivin n u can only do it if u realy kn d signs n rules of drivin as u wia tought in ur drivin skul,,jst remov d fear n bliv in ursef, it can start only but a day.so dis cud b d day,gud luck u can do it.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Exponental(m): 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
No big deal.
1. Ensure ur driver's licence is valid.
2. Ensure a good licenced driver is sitting beside u while u drive such journey.
3. Above all, be confident!

2 Likes

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by papiwater: 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
The fact that you are having cold feet shows you're not ready. DON'T KILL YOURSELF SIMPLY BECAUSE OF PEER PRESSURE.

1 Like

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by drnairalov: 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
its no big deal...interstate driving is quite easy..than our local roads tho daz if u drive wit care..u said 8 months, i wnt advice u to do it bruh, not like anything wud happen, but i feel u 2 young 2 do dis, naturally u wud be excited, first time i did interstate, sum1 was in the car, after 15 months but the second time i did it, when no 1 was in d car...i almost lost my life..thanks 2 d bad road.......a deep ditch i tried avoiding ddnt see it on time..

then swerved off 2 d bush, nd lost control, If not God nd used d lil experience i had, not 2 press break cos of fear of summersaultn..car did 360 on the road. and stopped side wayz...thank God trailer wasnt coming..cudda cleared me,

not trying 2 scare u, just know..if you are able to handle the interstate nau, left 2 me 8months is 2 early even tho u re good as at nau..dnt be 2 fast 2 do it!! u myt know hau 2 drive but how 2 handle situationz is necessary!! re u up 2 d task??

all in all if u re gonna do it...drive safely..speed killz, ur destination is all that matters, u ve nothin 2 prove by speeding! peace!!

1 Like

Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by idriis: 4:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
Guy, smoke a sac and hit d road...nuttin go happen.. But don't drink and drive oOo! Safe journey!
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by cyril10(m): 4:39pm On Sep 16, 2013
If you have been driving consistently for the past 18 months as claimed you can do it ,the only problem you have now is attempting it but once you are on the road like that you will discover that the initial fear will evaporate and will be replaced with real confidence but don't allow over confidence to take over.

Be very confident and focused, don't forget to thrust God for help.

I was afraid at first until i was transferred from Abuja to Port, i had to drive from Abuja to Lagos then from Lagos to Port with my family but not without trusting God for help anyway.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
IdaraCHODB: Is there is a big difference between driving in a city and driving in the highway? Yes

Can someone new to driving drive on the highway? Yes/ No/ It depends on the car and the driver

Most of the comments above have treated very salient issues.

There are a few other issues that either come to my mind or that I wish to stress on:

How often have you taken interstate trips not as a driver but as a very attentive passenger?

How sound is your car?

Will you carry some cash on you just in case of trouble?

How good are your reflexes? Can you take major life-defining decisions within split seconds? Do you value your life and the life of others whether in your car, in other cars, or walking on the road?

How good are you at braking? Are you as good at braking as you are in speeding? How good are you at maneuvering the steering wheel at both low speeds and high speed without loosing control?

How do you respond to road rage? Do you have an urge to retaliate when someone does something he should not in front of you or behind you?

DO you realize that is better to disown your rights on the road if it means you will remain alive to drive another day?

Have you taken an oath not to hit another life ( human or animal), not to hit concrete ( road dividers and curbs, etc) and not to hit metal ( other cars, traffic lights and road signs)? And are you willing to do everything not to break that oath as if your life depended on it?

Have you watched at least 30 to 100 videos of accidents on Youtube so you realize that a car can both a fun device and an instrument of death and sorrow?

Will you have company in that car that will encourage you to respect your limitations as a baby driver or who will spur you to go to the limits of your capabilities and that of the car (which I doubt you really know)?

Within a year of steady driving, I wanted the thrill of a first cross-country trip because I felt a car is no use to me if I can only do town runs, and I would never consider myself a driver if I cannot do long distance drives ( which I defined as 800km one way minimum). So I began by ensuring that my car was ok, several trips to the mechanic, several 100km round-trips, followed by 360km round trips and then I did my first 800km trip all alone. I did not tell anyone in my family except one friend I knew would not tell anyone. I started at 9.45am and I arrived 7.30pm. You can imagine how I felt that I could do it! I didn't tell anyone until I arrived.

I did two 1,600km commutes within one year of learning driving and I did it all alone. I didn't carry anyone to guide me or help me or assist me. So it all depends.

During all those previous trips (before the major one the 800km trip), I was extremely attentive to the car and its handling and my capabilities in handling the car, I knew how fast it would do 0 to 60 mph, I knew how fast it could brake from 60 to 0 and everything in between. I knew everything I felt I needed to know. I knew how many miles I go could go with the tank at full and the tank at 1/2 mark and at 1/4 mark and I carried enough money on me

I also fell back on my knowledge of the risks of the road as a very attentive interstate commuter ( not driver), and playing realistic car video games (after all don't pilots use simulators)?

In summary, all I have said above an be summarized as follows: "Are you mature enough?"

I didn't tell anyone because they felt I wasn't mature enough, but I felt that I had conducted enough research and had all the facts at my disposal to do it and I did it.

So if the answer to the question "Are you mature enough?" is YES, then go ahead provided you have done your homework and if not, then please be firm at the wheel before you try it!

9:45am to 7:30pm for 800km is not possible on Nigerian roads unless you live abroad... name the route. am a driver by chance.

it can only cover 450 to 500km on Nigerian roads...something like lagos to Abuja, Abia to Kaduna or Enugu to kano.
Re: As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? by whisper88(m): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
NO u shldnt, cos i say so...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Things Every Woman Needs In Her Car / Didi Becomes First Nigerian To Own The N62m Ferrari 458 Italia / Can Brain Box Cause Gear Selection Problem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.