Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? (760 Views)

Pictures Of Looters In Nigeria/ Before And After Karma... / Dr Yemi Kale Flees Nigeria Before Buhari Inauguration / Jonathan Destroying Nigeria Before Handover – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? by dudubobo1: 11:40am On Jun 20, 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/12/equatorialguinea

Wearing handcuffs and leg-irons in an African prison, the former SAS soldier who tried to overthrow the government of Equatorial Guinea in a coup d'etat yesterday claimed the main instigator of the plot was the London-based Lebanese millionaire Ely Calil.

In his first interview since his arrest in Zimbabwe in 2004, Simon Mann also claimed that Mark Thatcher was "part of the team". Thatcher pleaded guilty in South Africa in 2005 to helping charter a helicopter which he agreed "might be used for mercenary activity".

Despite fears that he would be mistreated after he was secretly extradited from Zimbabwe to the Equatorial Guinea's capital of Malabo in January, 55-year-old Mann appeared relaxed in a grey uniform as he talked to Channel 4 News in Black Beach prison. For the first time, he admitted he was involved in the attempt to overthrow President Teodoro Obiang Nguema. "I was the manager, not the architect, not the main man," he said.

Calil, who counts Tory and Labour politicians among his friends, has repeatedly denied any involvement, although Mann named him in a prison confession in Zimbabwe which he later retracted. The confession was made under duress, but it was true, he said. In a statement to Channel 4 Calil said: "I have no involvement in or responsibility for the alleged coup."

Mark Thatcher, who was fined £275,000 and given a four-year suspended sentence, said he had nothing to add to what was publicly known about his plea bargain.

Apparently dispelling a myth which has grown up around the botched attack, Mann said the "JH Archer" who is recorded as giving money to his company was not the disgraced peer Jeffrey Archer. The novelist's name and that of former Labour minister Peter Mandelson, have been drawn into the extraordinary cast of characters in the tale as they both were friends of Calil. Asked if they had any involvement, he said: "They've got none at all. God knows where that came from."

Mann, who faces a life sentence on charges of "terrorist conspiracy and attempts to murder the president", said he was stupid to go ahead with the plot. He and 67 South African mercenaries were arrested at Harare airport in March 2004 as they touched down to pick up illegal arms. He was sentenced to seven years, reduced to four. Until now he has claimed that he was heading for the Congo to protect a diamond mine. "It was a Bleep-up," he said. "I blame myself for not simply saying: 'Cut'. I was bloody stupid. I regret all that terribly. You go tiger shooting and you don't expect the tiger to win. I have been saying how sorry I am to everybody for four years now actually." He did claim, however, that Spain and South Africa were in favour of the plot.

The interview, recorded two weeks ago, was broadcast after Mann's wife, Amanda, and his London lawyer won an injunction in the high court. They claimed he had been forced to talk by the prison authorities. But, according to Channel 4 the legal battle ended in dramatic fashion when Mann's sister, Sarah Grootenhuis, flew back to the UK after seeing him in prison last week. She went to the high court to confirm he wanted the interview to be shown.

Documents leaked since the coup show that Mann was expecting to make $15m and run the country and its oil revenues through a commercial company. In the interview he admits "money and business reasons were a motivation". But he went on: "The primary motivation was to help the people of Equatorial Guinea who were in a lot of trouble."

Perhaps for the benefit of his captors - the attorney general and security minister were sitting in the room - he claimed that Calil and Severo Moto, the Equatorial Guinea politician in exile in Spain who they planned to install as the new leader, both misled him about the country. They said conditions were "diabolically bad". Fears of frightful torture were unfounded. "I have been treated well. My accommodation is good, there's water, there's food and I am under no coercion."

He did complain about his violent and secretive extradition from Zimbabwe which took place at night before his appeal process had been completed. He claims he was kidnapped. His removal was also strongly condemned by the Foreign Office. "We have serious concerns about the legality of this under domestic and international law," a spokeswoman said. It is widely believed the extradition was a political deal. After the plot was foiled, Obiang agreed to ship oil to Zimbabwe to help Robert Mugabe's battered economy. The two men became allies.

Mann's trial, which is likely to be brief because of his cooperation, is expected to start in the next few weeks. The attorney general of Equatorial Guinea, General Jose Olo Obono, has said he will be given a "transparent" trial. To avoid allegations of partiality, the government promised his trial would be observed by a judge chosen by the head of the African Union, currently Tanzania's president, Jakaya Kikwete.
Re: Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? by dudubobo1: 2:04pm On Jun 20, 2008
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23399095-details/Inside+Black+Beach+prison,+the+'hell+hole'+awaiting+Dog+of+War+Simon+Mann/article.do

some interesting comments by British people here. They obviously don't like to consider that Simon Mann was himself planning to kill and maim lots of people just to make money money for himself and Thatcher and some other unknown persons

Example:
This regime is to say the least barbaric and this is not something that the world is not aware of. The true horror lies with the US Oil companies who deal with this warlord in order to increase their share holders profits and further their greed. This is what sickens me more the fact if they wanted to, the respective governments in the US and the UK could apply some leverage and have this man released. This will never happen oil is too important, more than the human rights of these men on trial or the people of Equatorial Guinea. Turn a blind eye and reap the profits! For your information I lived and worked in EG for over 4 and half years. I too was guilty of profiteering from the misery of the Guinean people and am deeply ashamed.

- Iain Barnes, Glasgow Scotland
Re: Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? by landis(m): 2:08pm On Jun 20, 2008
dudu-bobo,
Thanks for that.

They obviously don't like to consider that Simon Mann was himself planning to kill and maim lots of people just to make money money for himself and Thatcher and some other unknown persons

White is good even when they plan coup, which they have been doing all of Africa since ages.

Blacks, while they always evil.
grin cheesy grin
Re: Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? by Nigaluva: 2:31pm On Jun 20, 2008
They deserve what they are getting. If I decided to go to the UK to forcefully remove Gordon Brown, I know what will happen to me.
Re: Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? by Mustay(m): 2:58pm On Jun 20, 2008
abi o
Re: Has This Or Something Similar Happened In Nigeria Before? by Blatant: 5:57pm On Jun 20, 2008
Of course this could have happened in Nigeria at some point in the past and the unknowing public would not know what was going on in the background

(1) (Reply)

Police Threaten Strike / Police Brutality! / Mccain Gallant In Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.