Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? (10963 Views)

Poll: Should homosexuals be allowed to raise children?

Yes: 22% (8 votes)
No: 77% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

The Best State To Raise Ones Kids / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating / Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by salako: 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2005
Here is a subject i find really difficult to deal with, so i want to know your views on it Nairaland. Please shared all your thoughts on this topic.

Should homosexuals (male or female) raise or be allowed to raise children? Please explain your answer.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by queen2(f): 6:28pm On Nov 01, 2005
Studies show that children raised by homosexuals are themselves homosexual just as often as children raised by heterosexuals and are less likely to endulge in bigotry and intolerance. therefore the answer is YES

1 Like

Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2005
Yes.

Why shouldn't they be allowed? If you say a child needs a male and female figure, i'm sure homosexual parents can provide that. If you say homosexual parents will raise homosexual children - I'd say heterosexual parents have more than proven their abilities to raise both homosexual and heterosexual children, thus, I doubt one's sexual orientation will affect it. If you say, children in such families will face persecution and other hatred - I'd say, you must not be a minority - we've faced this stuff for centuries.

1 Like

Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by Trooper(m): 7:30pm On Nov 01, 2005
....... Why shouldn't they ? Being gay does not make a person bad or unable to take care about things.....

1 Like

Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by ldollier(f): 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2005
NO, NO, NO, ma answer is being swayed by ma strong religious background.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by Trooper(m): 8:07pm On Nov 01, 2005
...come on guys. One of my best friends is a lesbian. She takes care about me why should she be unable to take care about a child ?

1 Like

Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:13pm On Nov 01, 2005
and how does your strong religious background sway your answer. My answer is swayed by my strong religious background too!
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by Scorpio(f): 3:15am On Nov 02, 2005
If they can get married, they should be able to take care of kids. i just picture two men taking care of a baby.

Wife: The baby's crying.
Husband: So go get her.
W: Why don't you do it? i took care of her last night.
H: I thought we agreed you was the ["wife"], that's your damn job men  cheesy cheesy
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nferyn(m): 4:41am On Nov 02, 2005
queen2:

Studies show that children raised by homosexuals are themselves homosexual just as often as children raised by heterosexuals and are less likely to endulge in bigotry and intolerance. therefore the answer is YES

Exactly. I'm very happy to see more and more opinions that are based on real data instead of hearsay and bigotry. Thumbs up wink
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by Oracle(m): 5:05am On Nov 02, 2005
In the first place a Gay
does not have a child coz he/she is gay
so the child has to be another man's child
"As they say like father like son"
so there is every tendency that
that child would grow up to be gay too.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by c0dec(m): 7:01am On Nov 02, 2005
Scorpio: cheesy cheesy

I don't agree sha. 2 gay men will only raise a gay son. And there's the huge possibility they'll have a party.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by CimonJorr(m): 8:09am On Nov 02, 2005
Interesting issue..

Let me look at this from two different angles..

From the second perspective..
People engage in sexual activity to have "fun".. Some times, having a child (procreation) isn't really the intended end-product of such activity.. And sometimes, circumstances lead to children willingly produced by their parents being left with no one to cater to their needs.. so from this perspective, anyone capable of showing them love, and raising them up to have a stable life should be looked upon as a blessing to their lives..

Now from the first perspective..
When couples engage in sexual activity, with the part of the aim being wanting to have children, they are usually equiped for such tasks.. By the very definition of "homo"-sexuality, such people are not equiped for the task of having children.. Now this might not have bearing on their ability to raise children.. but if the world were populated by just homosexuals, the world population would die off in a matter of a few centuries (or less).. They would ordinarily not be able to reproduce becos they can not.. it's as simple as that.. [Just a matter for thot...]

Now, someone has mentioned that heterosexual couples have demonstrated the ability to produce homosexual ofspring.. very true..
However, the likelyhood of a homosexual couple being able to raise a heterosexual child is to me quite remote.. children being what they are accept whatever environment they are subjected to at infancy as normal.. they are most likely to emulate what they see/hear/observe/experience as the normal way of doing things.. in this way, till they become old enough to reason for themselves and apply their own judgement in making their life's choices, being raised in such an environment would only pre-dispose them to developing a homosexual inclination.. biasing their orientation.. at least in the case of heterosexual couples, when their ofspring make the decision to switch to a homosexual orientation, it is usually done at a point in their lives when they are old enough to make their own choices, after having been raised to know the difference.. I feel that this would not be the case in a homosexual family environment..

My sentiments...  tongue
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nferyn(m): 9:13am On Nov 02, 2005
@ CimonJorr
These are indeed your sentiments.
There are no indications that homosexuality is a learned behaviour and there are several indications that it is caused by a genetical condition. Your sentiment is thus just based on your feelings, not on solid data.
As queen2 already mentioned, the children raised by a homosexual couple are no more or no less likely to become homosexuals than children raised by a heterosexual couple.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by CimonJorr(m): 6:12pm On Nov 02, 2005
And the solid data is?
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by Scorpio(f): 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2005
c0dec, I feel you on the gay son part, but then the [male "wife"] might want a girl, you never know. cheesy
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by Seun(m): 7:02pm On Nov 02, 2005
The idea that a homosexual couple will raise and have sex with a homosexual son is ridiculous. This is like saying that a heterosexual man shouldn't be allowed to raise a daughter or else he might have sex with her. Or that a heterosexual woman shouldn't be allowed to raise a son.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nucca(f): 8:12pm On Nov 02, 2005
NO
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by CimonJorr(m): 8:19pm On Nov 02, 2005
I'm sure the "party" comment above was an attempt at humor.. but on a different note, children do learn their habits, tendencies and values from their parents.. At a more matured age, they then learn to form their own opinions.. usually based on modification of their initial views modified by additional knowledge they pick up along the way.. how radical a change their views undergo is usually determined by the strength and degree of knowledge they have access to..

I am yet to find information which suggests or indicates that homosexuality is not a learned behaviour.. Most people who have been vocal about their crossing over have claimed that they were shown their true tendencies and sexual orientation by others who have already chosen that path.. (You can read through other posts on this subject here in Nairaland for statements on the above.. may not be regarded as scientific fact, but definitely is personal accounts and testimony.. )
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 8:27pm On Nov 02, 2005
I wouldn't say most people said they were shown their true tendencies by others - more likely someone encouraged them to not be ashamed of how they feel.

If homosexuality is a learned behavior, then how exactly did it arise? You would have me believe that there are homosexual cults which while kids are away from their heterosexual parents snare them in and show them how much fun homosexual sex is and this happens so much that the kid begins to think it is ok?

Its like you're saying there is some great conspiracy that manages to suck children in while they are away from other authority.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:08pm On Nov 02, 2005
naw gay people with kids, gays dont need to pollute the mind of kids with their stupid belief, They are insane beings,
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:11pm On Nov 02, 2005
what makes gay people insane? if a man cheats on his wife, should he be banned from raising his kids?
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:13pm On Nov 02, 2005
can you answer this question ? wat attracts you to a man (if you are a man) and the other way round if you are a lady ?

1 Like

Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:14pm On Nov 02, 2005
are tyou asking wat makes gay people insane, how would one get attracted to the same sex, same everything
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:16pm On Nov 02, 2005
let me pick man to man

the man is attracted by the other man's body. They love the way the other man looks at them, talks to them, hold their hand. They can't imagine spending time with any other person but that man, they feel like the other man will protect them and love them.

So, what about my question?
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:16pm On Nov 02, 2005
you said gay people are insane, i want to know what makes them insane (according to you).
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:18pm On Nov 02, 2005
are you asking what makes gay people insane, how would one get attracted to the same sex, same everything , does that make sense , i have something my partner has,
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:19pm On Nov 02, 2005
can i ask if you are gay
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:20pm On Nov 02, 2005
no, i am not gay
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:21pm On Nov 02, 2005
what do you mean by you have something your partner has.

I would hope you both have heads, brains, hearts, eyes, arms, hands, fingers, bodies, etc.

There should be many things you have in common with your partner.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2005
i am saying like the ladies gat their v the guys gat their p wat sense does it make for a marriage or union of two guys with same features

1 Like

Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by allonym: 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2005
eeh. . what is the confusion? Marriage is not just about the v and the p.
Re: Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? by nddy(m): 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2005
let me use the word relationship

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Being A First Daughter / Does ultrasound scan gives 100% result on foetus(baby's) sex? / All The Married/single Ladies,I Hope You Commit lookery After Looking At This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.