Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,163 members, 7,856,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 03:13 AM

Short Story Competition - Literature (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (42034 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 1:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
Omolola1:

So then the nominations are off?

I made the suggestion but no one countered it. If you guys feel we should go ahead with the nominations and final round, then no qualms. I skipped that stage because 50% of the contestants didn't show up.

Right now, Efe and Reepo are of the opinion that we should continue with the nomination stage, so what says you, ishilove and the rest of the judges?

I'm waiting .
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 1:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
repogirl: How many days to we have to upload our analysis? When is the judges deadline? And mazi, I also think we should pick the best five for a final round. Just to be double sure we picked the right person or people.
I concur. Let us prune the fifteen down to five. Then we can be sure we are selecting the best of the best
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 1:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

I made the suggestion but no one countered it. If you guys feel we should go ahead with the nominations and final round, then no qualms. I skipped that stage because 50% of the contestants didn't show up.

Right now, Efe and Reepo are of the opinion that we should continue with the nomination stage, so what says you, ishilove and the rest of the judges?

I'm waiting .

I'm in support of selecting five out of the fifteen...
Let's see what the top five are capable of.
Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 1:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
OMA4U: I type the whole story with my phone and uploaded with PC. But I forgot to include the title, and there are some words that change. E.g I wrote 'copulate', it changed to 'reproduce'. And some of the paragraphs were lumped up. I don't know what to do. I tried editing it with phone but it was hanging.

Pls, can I drop the title here?

Thanks. I still could not believe I would make it. I started writing it yesterday, and I submitted some minutes before the deadline.

Glory be to God. Thanks Mazi and others. Judges, I beg you to be merciful with scoring. Na my first writing be this o.

Somebody should please comment on this. I beg the judge to read my story, please. I submitted some minutes to the deadline, and I forgot to include the title.
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
Here is the deal, we have 15 submissions, we are doing it as planned so from this round we are cutting it to 10, Judges will pick up their preffered work, the 8 people with highest scores will automatically be in second round, the t4 others with avarage scores will write another story which the I and the literature mod will choose from and the 2 from that group will be selected to the next round to make it ten.
Re: Short Story Competition by kayemjay(m): 1:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
IMHO, I feel we cutting it to five is too sudden. Like I told Mazi, why not cut it to 8? Then have those 8 drop another set of short stories.

Then those 8 would be shortened to another 4. These 4 would be the finalists.

Then they would compete for the prize.

This would show which writer has consistency, hard work and passion for writing.
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 1:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Here is the deal, we have 15 submissions, we are doing it as planned so from this round we are cutting it to 10, Judges will pick up their preffered work, the 8 people with highest scores will automatically be in second round, the t4 others with avarage scores will write another story which the I and the literature mod will choose from and the 2 from that group will be selected to the next round to make it ten.
shocked
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 1:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
What does IMHO mean?
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
OMA4U:

Somebody should please comment on this. I beg the judge to read my story, please. I submitted some minutes to the deadline, and I forgot to include the title.

harde boss, you cannot, this will teach you to do things in time smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 1:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
Okk then, I guess I have been over-ruled. No qualms. But having a semi-final stage before the final seems a bit over-stressed. I think we should stick to the original plan; select a final 7 (or 5) from the 15 we have now, then the finalist compete for the prices.
Re: Short Story Competition by naptu2: 1:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ishilove: What does IMHO mean?

In My Honest Opinion.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Here is the deal, we have 15 submissions, we are doing it as planned so from this round we are cutting it to 10, Judges will pick up their preffered work, the 8 people with highest scores will automatically be in second round, the t4 others with avarage scores will write another story which the I and the literature mod will choose from and the 2 from that group will be selected to the next round to make it ten.
explain yourself jor. How many stories will enter the final round and i think 10 contestants in final round is way too much.
How many stories will a judge nominate? Cos i don't understand anything out of what you wrote there.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Okk then, I guess I have been over-ruled. No qualms. But having a semi-final stage before the final seems a bit over-stressed. I think we should stick to the original plan; select a final 7 (or 5) from the 15 we have now, then the finalist compete for the prices.
i love ds. But the other question remains. How many stories does a judge nominates?
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 1:47pm On Oct 01, 2013

Like seriously?
That is too much... How many stories do u want them to write?
I feel going straight to the final round (which should consist of 5 ppl/stories to compete for the price) would save us all our time and energy.

Going through your long process would get boring and tiring. Let's get this over with once and for all. *my 2 centz*
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 1:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
For me I think 5 people will be best, competition will be tight in the last round but 7 is still fine sha. HBG, your suggestion.....i don't quite agree with it. 10 is ten-much.
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:50pm On Oct 01, 2013
Damex333: explain yourself jor. How many stories will enter the final round and i think 10 contestants in final round is way too much.
How many stories will a judge nominate? Cos i don't understand anything out of what you wrote there.
Every Judge chooses 1 story from the 15 stories we have- clear?

8 people with highest scores automatically makes it to the finals.

From the 7 left out, we choose 4, with the highest score.

The remaining three are out totally!

The selected four will each write another short story.

Then the public will vote for their best story from those four stories, the 2 with the highest votes will make it to the final round, join the 8, to make it ten, then we do the proper final round as planned.
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 1:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Every Judge chooses 1 story from the 15 stories we have- clear?

hmmmm, I think this is much ado about nothing much, it sounds tedious.

Then the public will vote for their best story from those four stories, the 2 with the highest votes will make it to the final round, join the 8, to make it ten, then we do the proper final round as planned

I think this is much ado about nothing much, it seems tedious.

3 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 1:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: harde boss, you cannot, this will teach you to do things in time smiley

You didn't seem to get me. I submitted last, but I didn't include the title. The modify button is now removed. Can I drop the title here? Pls....
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 2:01pm On Oct 01, 2013

Then the public will vote for their best story from those four stories, the 2 with the highest votes will make it to the final round, join the 8, to make it ten, then we do the proper final round as planned.

It's clear this "stuff" wasn't properly planned. There should have been a back-up plan in case the expected number of stories didn't turn up. You and Mazi aren't even on the same page
Well, I guess it's your call.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 01, 2013

too tedious madame, abeg the judges should choose d method they want jawe.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nuges11(m): 2:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
I fink I prefer the idea of pruning down to 5/7 and going straight to finals
Re: Short Story Competition by kayemjay(m): 2:06pm On Oct 01, 2013

Mbanu. Too long
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
And the idea of judges picking just one is not good also. Make all me una go talk 4 una private room jor, then come out and make one decision. We dont want a divided kingdom here o.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 2:12pm On Oct 01, 2013

Lmao!!!
You wan kee person? Stop rough play joor? embarassed embarassed
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by EfemenaXY: 2:13pm On Oct 01, 2013
HBG.

What you've just outlined below is making a relatively simple and straight forward process unnecessarily complicated.

What do you mean 'choose' and why just one story?

HumbledbYGrace: 8 people with highest scores automatically makes it to the finals.

8 + 4 = 12. So you're telling us that out of the original 15 contestants who submitted their works, 12 should be taken to the next round??!!

HumbledbYGrace: The remaining three are out totally!

Sorry, this sounds like favouritism here. If we the judges take the time (from our busy schedules) and (painstaking) effort to narrow down the best writers based on our (transparent) criteria, then tell me - what criteria will you be using to select those other 4 contestants??

HumbledbYGrace: Then the public will vote for their best story from those four stories, the 2 with the highest votes will make it to the final round, join the 8, to make it ten, then we do the proper final round as planned.

~ The 'public' will vote for their best story of the 4 sub-standard / average submissions. Does that sound fair to you? Do you not think you're undermining the judges efforts here?

~ Then the 2 'average' stories will be on par with the 8 higher standard ones - that's what you're saying here, yes? Do you think it's fair on the 8 contestants who probably put the time, effort and their heart and soul to get them to that stage in the first place? You want to put them up with people who couldn't even be bothered to do their due diligence before clicking on the submission button!

~ 10 is just too many ma'am. And if you don't mind my asking, what exactly does this final round entail?

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by EfemenaXY: 2:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
OMA4U:

You didn't seem to get me. I submitted last, but I didn't include the title. The modify button is now removed. Can I drop the title here? Pls....

Your work will be judged based on your original submission. You are not allowed to make any edits after submission. The onus is on you, the writer, to proof-read your work several times before submission.

On a lighter note, look at it this way: when you sit for an examination and then submit your paper, do you then go back to the examiner to collect your script because you forgot to title your paper?
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 2:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
Just a suggestion:.
There are 15 stories and we have 8 judges..

Each judge should pick his or her top5 stories,top 7 or how many finalists they want in the final round..
After that,mazi or whoever will pick those with the highest nominations to go to the finale..
If there is a tie btw two or more than two contestants,the 8 judges will cast their vote again.
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by FoxyFlow(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Time for my own contribution.

7 is enough for the final round as stated by the original masterplan. Whatever HBG is saying does not matter. We are working with what was given.

HBG, you don't create things out of nothingness. Each of us read the rules before the competition started proper. The 7 out of the 15 shall qualify where they will contest for the final price.

Mazi... We both know not everybody will submit their stories in the first place so let's stick to plan.

Ehm... Giving an outright winner is injustice as I believe some writers kept their A-game for later.

HBG... Control yourself...
Re: Short Story Competition by sambroose(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
To me HBG is sounding like a dictatorship

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 2:32pm On Oct 01, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Your work will be judged based on your original submission. You are not allowed to make any edits after submission. The onus is on you, the writer, to proof-read your work several times before submission.

On a lighter note, look at it this way: when you sit for an examination and then submit your paper, do you then go back to the examiner to collect your script because you forgot to title your paper?

Alright, thanks. I won't bother about that anymore. But what matter to me now is the analysis and criticism of the judges to know where I get it wrong, and to improve.

Thanks.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 2:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
The judges will make nominations as earlier planned. Each judge should submit five (5) nominations for the final stage. Five (5) finalist with highest votes makes it to the final. Incase of a tie, judges would be asked to vote to break the tie. Nominations lasts till this weekend (preferably, saturday, 6th of October) after which the final round will commence.

Judges can start dropping their nominations when the submission thread is unlocked. Also, its time for judges to make their analysis and critique the works so that the finalist will know what is expected of them.

Thanks for participating.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
Case closed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (41) (Reply)

[story] The Perfect Couple (adults Only)…part 1 / ... / Olaokun Soyinka Writes Tonye Cole Over Airplane Seat Saga Of Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.