Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,142 members, 7,829,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Short Story Competition - Literature (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (41782 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition by EfemenaXY: 6:49pm On Oct 03, 2013
Larai Boluwaji:
Why must it be sunday? Stop being so bossy,u arnt d only judge here. Mazi said by sunday so let the judges have everything ready before then for smooth transition

Because I'm less busy on Sundays, thank you.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
Kslib:
The 15contestants will be gingered/motivated by the Negative and positive comments they'll receive from a larger audience..

Mynd,do something..
All izz well!

We are on frontpage now.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 7:23pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

We are on frontpage now.
Yaaaaay!!!!

Mynd,thanks on behalf of all the 15 disciples....
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Mynd44: 7:28pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

We are on frontpage now.
I edited your post. I hope you don't mind

https://www.nairaland.com/1454855/short-story-competition-submission-thread/1#18494208
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mynd_44:
I edited your post. I hope you don't mind

https://www.nairaland.com/1454855/short-story-competition-submission-thread/1#18494208

Nah, it actually makes sense. Wonder what will happen tomorrow when the thread is opened for judges to submit their scores and analysis.
Re: Short Story Competition by Mynd44: 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Nah, it actually makes sense. Wonder what will happen tomorrow when the thread is opened for judges to submit their scores and analysis.
Let them put it here, I will quote it and post it on that thread. Opening that thread is going to cause major damage and a lot of "This post has been hidden"
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:44pm On Oct 03, 2013
Kslib:
Yaaaaay!!!!

All izz well!

The link to this discussion thread is there, at the beginning and at the end also. I don't intend creating yet another thread for this competition, so we have to make use of the two available.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 7:53pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

The link to this discussion thread is there, at the beginning and at the end also. I don't intend creating yet another thread for this competition, so we have to make use of the two available.
I modified that post immediately i saw what Mynd did.. Guess you were faster than me..
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 03, 2013
Grabs a chair and run to the front...Mazi 1 From N.Y.S.C>P.P.A>LEGEND OF F*CKERS(AWAITING)>Pass me the Pop corn o...
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 8:32pm On Oct 03, 2013
Hello all,
There has been slight adjustments. To avoid lots of "hidden posts" on the submission thread, we judges will post our analysis and nominations here on the discussion thread. Mynd has volunteered to transfer our analysis and nominations to the frontpage thread without unlocking it.
There's no need waiting for tomorrow, let us start with the analysis and nominations already.

After the end of the second round, and the end of the competition, the frontpage thread will be opened for the audience to make their contributions.

Please do bear with our little inconsistencies. I did mention earlier that our timing is prone to adjustments.

Thanks.
Re: Short Story Competition by Mynd44: 9:03pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Hello all,
There has been slight adjustments. To avoid lots of "hidden posts" on the submission thread, we judges will post our analysis and nominations here on the discussion thread. Mynd has volunteered to transfer our analysis and nominations to the frontpage thread without unlocking it.
There's no need waiting for tomorrow, let us start with the analysis and nominations already.

After the end of the second round, and the end of the competition, the frontpage thread will be opened for the audience to make their contributions.

Please do bear with our little inconsistencies. I did mention earlier that our timing is prone to adjustments.

Thanks.
I will need you to tell me which to transfer though. It is your gig so please lemme know how you want it.

Cheers
**back to Ghostmode**
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:13pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mynd_44:
I will need you to tell me which to transfer though. It is your gig so please lemme know how you want it.

Cheers
**back to Ghostmode**

Princesa has her analysis submitted already;

https://www.nairaland.com/1441838/short-story-competition/24
Re: Short Story Competition by AbuMikey(m): 9:18pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

That's no analysis sire,outta 15 entries she dropped analysis for just 3 entries shockedshocked

Pow!
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:25pm On Oct 03, 2013
Abu Mikey

You've got the illustrative skills. If illustrative skills is the only criteria for nominations, then I would nominate your work a hundred and one times. But its lacking in other areas.

Your work looks unorganized. Your punctuation was irregular and the regular use of quotations created a bumpy read.
Example; instead of representing all parts of a conversation in quotations, you can include them in the body of your work.
Example: Instead of...

"Jesus!!!!!"
Mr.Ojo shouted as he woke up from the terrible dream he just had, "honey,what's wrong?" Ojo's wife asked.
"I had a terrible dream" Ojo responded

Why not...

"Jesus", Mr Ojo shouted as he woke up from the terrible dream he just had. His wife asked what was wrong and he informed her he just had a terrible dream.

You get my point? That way, the reading is smooth and continuous; rather than having unnecessary breakages.

I can recall you saying you were yet to put down a story even few hours to deadline. I thought you were joking, but when I read your work, I knew it wasn't a joke. It looked rushed.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2013
Ruby spice

Your work looks to me like a long poem rather than a short story. The content is a bit poor; there were just two characters, maybe three; a man, his love and an orange tree. You should have taken more time out to develop the characters fully for us to understand the bond created by love between the two.

Since there were no much plots, characters and scenes, there was nothing much to expect from the organization therein. The tense was irregular and the story sounded monotonic. However, I commend your spacing, paragraphing and order of presentation.

Its always difficult to illustrate stories in the first person singular. This has been my method of writing ever since I started writing; and its always difficult. There were areas you would have ventured into if you weren't illustrating in the first person singular. I will give you an instance;

If you had written your work from a narrative perspective, you would have included paragraphs like:

Lora looked confused as she stared at her dad on the sick bed. The doctors had refused further treatment, insisting on an initial deposit of £12. But where will the money come from? There are 6 more mouths to be fed at the house, an angry landlord awaiting his rent and an ageing mum to carter for.
Her thoughts drifted towards Chief Adebayo. He seemed to be the only solution to the present crises; but how will she explain to her love that she must be married to the Chief? How will he understand? He must be waiting for her under the mango tree, singing sweet melodies of love songs...

You see what I mean? By choosing to base your narration on the first person singular, there's no way the narrator will know what is going on in the mind and life of Lora.

However, you have a nice background story, it only needed lots of development from different perspectives.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
T-flow

you flowed effortlessly like you were born to write. The fact that you still used the difficult first-person singular to narrate your work made it more endearing to my heart: its same style I adopted in my writings.

One big advantage you have is that you used real plots and scenes, so its easy for the reader to comprehend; it was actually easier to imagine the entire plot like you painted it. Choosing the uniLag scene won ishilove over. I don't know if it was a calculated attempt, but I'm sure you will have her vote for the finals.

I was almost praying that your story wouldn't come to an end. You've got talent bros, and I can't wait to see you at the next round.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
Numero uuno

Your story, journey to greatness was a real journey. Within 2,500 words, you told about a child upbringing, his secondary school and university days, still managed to put a happy ending and a touching footer.

I kept imagining where we're headed to as I read your work. Seems you were trying out a biography within the limited allocation of 2,500 words. You ended up doing a rush-rush work, with no depth.

If you intend to write more often, you have to catch your audience. I read where a judge speculated that it was difficult reading some stories after the first paragraph. Its a general trait for most readers. They don't have that patients to skim through your work, waiting patiently for that happy ending. You have to keep them spell-bound, else, they will ignore your work halfway.

There is always room for improvement, and I believe you will improve greatly.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2013
Kslib

cheesycheesy
All iz 'not' wellcheesy
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 10:22pm On Oct 03, 2013
Plainmirror

I love adventures, and your work was a good one. You wrote with confidence and I liked that. However, I have to point out a little bit of this bump in your work. The occasional use of brackets to indicate side comments or buttress a point doesn't just do it for me. Check out this paragraph of yours;

As a big boy then in SS2 [unity school no be beans naa], I banked my money myself. During ‘break’ periods, I would go to the school canteen with my guys [girls inclusive atymes] and consume some edibles courtesy of my regular sponsoring [ I am d generous type who loves to make people around me happy].

In just one paragraph, you have three of such speed breakers! It doesn't make for an easy read as it distracts the reader from the main work. I love smooth rides when I'm reading.

Your adventure was fun, and you presented it in such a way that the reader would want to jump to the next paragraph to find out what happened next; that's the element of suspense.
Re: Short Story Competition by Obinnau(m): 10:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
Nice analysis
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 10:37pm On Oct 03, 2013
@Mazi,so my work is that bad that you left the space blank,scrolled down and typed "All izz not well". angry
!! Hmmn..

All izz still well! tongue tongue
Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 10:47pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Plainmirror

I love adventures, and your work was a good one. You wrote with confidence and I liked that. However, I have to point out a little bit of this bump in your work. The occasional use of brackets to indicate side comments or buttress a point doesn't just do it for me. Check out this paragraph of yours;

As a big boy then in SS2 [unity school no be beans naa], I banked my money myself. During ‘break’ periods, I would go to the school canteen with my guys [girls inclusive atymes] and consume some edibles courtesy of my regular sponsoring [ I am d generous type who loves to make people around me happy].

In just one paragraph, you have three of such speed breakers! It doesn't make for an easy read as it distracts the reader from the main work. I love smooth rides when I'm reading.

Your adventure was fun, and you presented it in such a way that the reader would want to jump to the next paragraph to find out what happened next; that's the element of suspense.

@Mazi, I am expecting more analysis o, especially on my story.
Re: Short Story Competition by demelza: 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
Kslib: @Mazi,so my work is that bad that you left the space blank,scrolled down and typed "All izz not well". angry
!! Hmmn..

All izz still well! tongue tongue
grin grin
Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 10:56pm On Oct 03, 2013
princesa: Okay, finished reading all entries and as usual I've got a little something something

T-flow: good choice of diction, impressive narration and dialogue, consistent plot. The opening paragraph was bulky, some copy and paste work? Please endeavour to keep the opening paragraph catchy, precise and punchy.

Numerruno- Me thinks your story lacks a definite sense of direction and the plot inconsistent with so many characters that do not have clear-cut roles. I advise that you concentrate on and develop very few characters if you get to the next round.

Oma4u: hmm, it felt like i was watching a flick from 'yollywood' (the yoruba version of the nollywood grin). Anyway, the proverb coloured dialogues suit the epic piece I.e. Good dialogue, good spacing too, but the length! Did you word count? don't forget you have to always work with the rules of the competition.

That all criticism i have, will be dropping my best five soon..smiley

Thanks for the analysis. I just want to channel a different style for myself (writing yoruba in english).

I would like to ask if you enjoy the story?
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 11:14pm On Oct 03, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

no she hasn't. As Abu said, its just 3 outta 15. Although I've dropped somethings about the other stories earlier on.

But Am still gonna extract and update it all in one post (I can't do long analysis like you guyz) so pls give me till Friday. Thank you.

#couldn'tresist

Obinnau:
Nice analogies.
Nice analyses you mean...
analogy means comparism/similarities, i dnt think it connects with the afore-posted

#dontbotherreplying tongue
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 11:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
OMA4U:

Thanks for the analysis. I just want to channel a different style for myself (writing yoruba in english).

I would like to ask if you enjoy the story?
yeah, i enjoyed your story and some others...
Re: Short Story Competition by chistar01(m): 11:18pm On Oct 03, 2013
Hmmm... So far, so good.
Waiting for more analysis, maybe I'll be able to pick 'MORE' stuffs.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 11:19pm On Oct 03, 2013
Royver

Your story was classic! The first line was perfectly fashioned in such a way to introduce the reader to a promising tale of endless suspense.

Your descriptive prowess is awesome; I could almost picture the akara balls frying in the hot oil. You were also able to give a clue about the old woman's poor background and almost miserable life and still not deviate from the title of the story.

However, I made a little observation. The continuous use of 'She' to start sentences close to each other somehow dulled the reading.

Example: instead of...

She sighed and inspected the bean cakes again. She decided that this would be the last batch. She brought them out of the fire and proceeded to scatter the firewood, allowing the flames to die slowly. She waited for the oil to cool then gently poured it into the container.

We can have something like this;

She sighed and inspected the bean cakes again and decided that this would be the last batch.

You get the drift?

Never believed I would be rooting for a horror story. Yours was a perfect blend of horror, thriller and suspense. Trust me, if you can pull up such a story in the next round, you'll definitely be the contender to beat.
Re: Short Story Competition by Royver(m): 11:19pm On Oct 03, 2013
pls you people should allw mazi continue na... undecided
Re: Short Story Competition by SirElaw(m): 11:28pm On Oct 03, 2013
*Watching from the sideline*
Re: Short Story Competition by Slasha1(f): 11:38pm On Oct 03, 2013
Wow! You guys are doing a great job I must confess.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (41) (Reply)

Life Of A Unilag Student / Sophia Amaka's Story: Accidental Baby Mama(a Fan Fiction) / MY Police Life (short Story By Faithful Don)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.