Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,305 members, 7,857,185 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

Short Story Competition - Literature (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (42043 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
plainmirror: @omolola I liked †нэ way you criticised my work word for word. It is obvious you are not a fan of adventures hence ur unfavourable appraisal.
You said dat my story title doesn't relate to its contents. Now lemme ask you dis -
Is traveling without paying for †нэ fare not a risky venture to undertake?

Is it not an unusual experience?

Apart from †нэ way i summarised it, could Ʊ hv predicted †нэ outcome?

Yet Ʊ say my experience is not worth an adventure. Maybe Ʊ hv to search U̶̲̥̅̊я dictionary properly and find †нэ underlying meaning of 'adventure'.
Obviously, dis is a competition and Ʊ happen to be a judge and i respect Ʊ for dat. But let it not get into U̶̲̥̅̊я head.
Thanks
could you be a darling and remove those blackberry characterised letters
Re: Short Story Competition by sambroose(m): 5:42pm On Oct 04, 2013
Judges you guys are breaking ma heart..........if I knew that I would be lashed like dz, I would av pulled out earlier..........All izz not welllllll
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 5:45pm On Oct 04, 2013
MOMENT OF TRUTH
Damex33

I have a few questions
- when was the moment of truth?
- Is Tonia a mistress or a wife? (Because you referred to her as a mistress somewhere in the story)
- what's the wife's name?
- is there a wife and also a mistress?
If there is, you mixed them up.

I would advise you re-write this story because it wasn't arranged properly. Honestly, I got lost in the story because I could not identify the characters.
Poor dialogue, bad punctuation and no paragraph. I've observed these are most of the problems in this competition.
Anyway, it would make a nice plot if properly developed and planned out.
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:52pm On Oct 04, 2013
sambroose: Judges you guys are breaking ma heart..........if I knew that I would be lashed like dz, I would av pulled out earlier..........All izz not welllllll
cry

It is well
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: What lurks in the dark

WHAT LURKS IN THE DARK!
(2,500 words)
By kslib...
1.. In Africa we have types of scary stories but I am yet to read a vampire story, even if its just in a dream. Pardon my ignorance but your workundecided

All iz not well my brother.

2..Spacing, I was like this before. I submitted my script without spacing and it was among the ones that ended in a trash bin. I was told plainly if I want to make it in writing I should go and read first.

3..I guess the climax is when Mike was bitten on the neck right? Your pesuasion didn't really do it for me. Somethings need to be believeable, how can a guy, go to another guy's house because he couldn't sleep

4..Description; Madam Ishi's lessons have really paid off, I doff my head when it comes to her descriptive prowess. Good job there.

5..Dialogue, please google how to do right by it, you are still lacking.

Repetion of words, its a no, no in one paragraph. I believe you can do better if you put effort and READ.
1.. So cos you've never read any vampire stories in Africa, now means any story that involves vampires should be shoved aside? Besides,i never included any vampire in my story. I only described the old woman in a way i thought was scary,i wonder where you got your vampire theory from?
You said even if it's just in dreams:: Like seriously? I have dreamt about UFO's and i'm sure many people must have dreamt about many strange things also.. THIS FIRST POINT OF YOURS HOLD NO WATER AT ALL.. ##No offense##

2.. You just said spacing and you didn't specify where in the story lacked space when there should have been one..

3.. I never wrote at any point in the story that mike was bitten. I didnt say he went to his friends house cos he couldn't sleep. He wanted to visit his friend who just flew in and for some strange unknown reason,he felt that was the right time..
It was a dream and strange things happen in dreams that's why i said his reason for deciding to go out that time was strange..
Well,i guess you were in a hurry to just finish with my boring story,that's the reason why you rushed through the whole thing.. Its fine though..

4.. What does Ishi has to do with my work? No wahala.

Lastly,you placed my work at 9th position.. Well,its not easy to come 9th out of 15 sha BUT honestly,i would have preferred it if you had placed me at 15th but critiqued my work accordingly..
Pls learn from @omolala..

Erm,look at the bolded and learn from your mistakes. That's not how to spell. tongue tongue .. Thanks for the critique though.
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2013
Omolola1: MOMENT OF TRUTH
Damex33

I have a few questions
- Is Tonia a mistress or a wife? (Because you referred to her as a mistress somewhere in the story)

I would advise you re-write this story because it wasn't arranged properly. Honestly, I got lost in the story because I could not identify the characters.
Poor dialogue, bad punctuation and no paragraph. I've observed these are most of the problems in this competition.
i am 110% sure you neva read d story. Gush. Bleep this.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 6:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
Omolola1: WHAT LURKS IN THE DARK
Kslib

Quote me if I'm wrong. From what I read and understood in the first paragraph, Mike was on his way to Andy (his best friend's) house in the middle of the night...

Mike stepped out and swung the gate back to its position with reckless abandon,causing the gate to make a loud bang.
"Geez', he poked his bottom with his fingers, serving as penance for what he just did as the 'bang' echoed its-way up the sky and the street beyond.
"Hope i didnt wake you guys", he smiled looking left-right..
"Not my fault, folks, blame it on this loud mouthed gate", he said in a sarcastic tone as he raised up both hands in surrender to the air.

Where was he when the above conversation took place? In Andy's house already?
Who was he talking to?

It took me a while to understand that Mike was still within his compound, which made me wonder who he was talking to when he said "Hope I didn't wake you guys." Was he talking to himself? Because if he was, you didn't tell.

You constantly made the mistake of writing "Mike" as "mike". Try to proof-read your work before submitting next time.

He shook his head and made a 'yimu' mock with his mouth.

I laughed when I read the above. What is yimu? I might not know the meaning of yimu, some other person might not know the meaning either. Understand that you are writing to a larger audience, you should never leave them confused at any point in time. Instead of 'yimu', you could have used something like 'funny.'

The storyline is okay though. I would have really loved if it didn't end up been a dream. I already knew that was where you were heading to since Mike never got to Andy's house, so I wasn't disappointed when I got to the end of the story cheesy

This is your punishment for distracting my night's read, Martha teased as she(who was 3years older) gave her younger brother mike(who just turned 21, two days ago),"a tongue out"...
She winked at mike(who was now sobbing like a baby and looking like a scared rat).
Martha shook her head in victory-- she finally defeated the almighty mike who never admitted to being scared of the dark.

The above wasn't necessary. Fine, you wanted to give us details about your characters, you wanted us to know their age, but what significance was Martha and Mike's age at that point in the story?
I want to know...because I didn't get that part.

You could have just said:
Martha teased as she made jest of her younger brother, Mike who was now sobbing like a baby. . .

With a little push, you would do better. It was nice.
Thanks for the correction/analysis. I've learnt from it..
All izz well!

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
Kslib:
1.. So cos you've never read any vampire stories in Africa, now means any story that involves vampires should be shoved aside? Besides,i never included any vampire in my story. I only described the old woman in a way i thought was scary,i wonder where you got your vampire theory from?
You said even if it's just in dreams:: Like seriously? I have dreamt about UFO's and i'm sure many people must have dreamt about many strange things also.. THIS FIRST POINT OF YOURS HOLD NO WATER AT ALL.. ##No offense##

2.. You just said spacing and you didn't specify where in the story lacked space when there should have been one..

3.. I never wrote at any point in the story that mike was bitten. I didnt say he went to his friends house cos he couldn't sleep. He wanted to visit his friend who just flew in and for some strange unknown reason,he felt that was the right time..
It was a dream and strange things happen in dreams that's why i said his reason for deciding to go out that time was strange..
Well,i guess you were in a hurry to just finish with my boring story,that's the reason why you rushed through the whole thing.. Its fine though..

Lastly,you placed my work at 9th position.. Well,its not easy to come 9th out of 15 sha BUT honestly,i would have preferred it if you had placed me at 15th but critiqued my work accordingly..

Erm,look at the bolded and learn from your mistakes. That's not how to spell. tongue tongue .. Thanks for the critique though.
All izz well!

My guy don provoke... Tak am easy o
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 04, 2013
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 04, 2013
Omolola1: MOMENT OF TRUTH
Damex33

I have a few questions

i am 110% sure you neva read d story. Gush. Bleep this. I regretted joining this, instead of helping me, its actualz breaking me, breaking lots me writers morale. You are asking of the name of the wife? Wait, is this a joke or something. Asking if Tonia was mistress. As in? Oh my God.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 6:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
OMA4U:

My guy don provoke... Tak am easy o
Lmao!! Abeg oo..
Why i go provoke na? I didnt know i sounded harsh ooo..

Abi you wan set me up? You wan make me look like sore loser shey? grin..
Your pan no go work..lol

I was just pointing out things . Its no that serious nah.
HBG,no mind this guy oo

All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by AbuMikey(m): 6:22pm On Oct 04, 2013
No analysis on my job yet,except Mazi's own,as for HBG,the previous analysis you gave with "red biro" to me is Pure thrash!!! angry
Re: Short Story Competition by FoxyFlow(m): 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
I dey come... All the writers dey vex. Make una relax until I reach house. I dey wedged between two fat men and my testicles dey feel like say e wan burst.

I must get car this year... Baba God, bless your pikin hustle...
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Search for Mona lisa

Sammyhoe

Can I call you BigEnglish? Like the one in Iyawo Nylon bag? lipsrsealed

Your work potrays what this competition is about, your a great craft-man because you crafted your story well, took your time to give me something that helped to increase the level of my vacab. grin

Good job but bear in mind that most times if a reader is reading for pleasure, when s/he gets too many big words clustered in a paragraph s/he looses interest in reading the whole thing.
I'm not writing for lazy readers but for those who would take their time to visit their lexicons over and over again(like the Whites). That's why the short story is set in the US and Paris. You can agree with me that foreign stories are even more complex than this. More so, I wrote it based on what miss Efemena said "The more complex, the better."
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:47pm On Oct 04, 2013
Kslib:

All izz well!
ok

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 04, 2013
Omolola1: THE SEARCH FOR MONALISA
SammyHoe

I didn't understand your story, maybe because the 'English' was too big for my small brain, and visiting wikipedia to search for words you used became tiring so I lost interest.

I learnt some new terms though.

Next time, add a glossary or come down to our level.
I'm glad you didn't understand it. That's exactly what I want to hear: meaning that it's too COMPLEX. In some continents other than ours, complex stories receive much more accolades than simple ones(I guess Efemena understands this cos she wanted it very complex). I've been trying hard to come up with something of such, and...here's it at last...the kind we find in American novels that make them boring and yet appreciated. The piece of advice I have for my judges is 'step up your vocabulary.'
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 04, 2013
Omolola1: THE SEARCH FOR MONALISA
SammyHoe

I didn't understand your story, maybe because the 'English' was too big for my small brain, and visiting wikipedia to search for words you used became tiring so I lost interest.

I learnt some new terms though.

Next time, add a glossary or come down to our level.

I'm glad you didn't understand it. That's exactly what I want to hear: meaning that it's too COMPLEX. In some continents other than ours, complex stories receive much more accolades than simple ones(I guess Efemena understands this cos she wanted it very complex). I've been trying hard to come up with something of such, and...here's it at last...the kind we find in American novels that make them boring and yet appreciated. The piece of advice I have for my judges is 'step up your vocabulary.'
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 7:14pm On Oct 04, 2013
DARK CHOCOLATE
Tflow

I want to be your dark chocolate cheesy

It's hard to criticize your work because you used real plots and so it was easy for me to imagine.
I like your style of writing, it looks easy when reading but it's actually very difficult to write.
I loved it. But hey, take note of your paragraphs and spacing.
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 7:18pm On Oct 04, 2013
plainmirror: @omolola I liked †нэ way you criticised my work word for word. It is obvious you are not a fan of adventures hence ur unfavourable appraisal.
You said dat my story title doesn't relate to its contents. Now lemme ask you dis -

Yet Ʊ say my experience is not worth an adventure. Maybe Ʊ hv to search U̶̲̥̅̊я dictionary properly and find †нэ underlying meaning of 'adventure'.
Obviously, dis is a competition and Ʊ happen to be a judge and i respect Ʊ for dat. But let it not get into U̶̲̥̅̊я head.
Thanks

U are welcome cheesy
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 7:26pm On Oct 04, 2013
Lol, na wa o, writers are not finding this judging thing funny o.

guys, it comes with the territory, we have nothing against you. The harsher it is, the move you are to improve. Sorry, take Panadol and you'll be fine.

mazi I thought we were supposed to include scores? Lemme know, I compiled mine with scores.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 04, 2013
Don't blame our judges o. U know they're green in this business of censoring.

Glossary
green- inexperienced
censoring- criticising(doing the work of a critic)

Hope I'm safe cos glossary is included now ; D
To be frank, our judges need to get themselves prepared for some other times.
Judges, go step up your vocabulary...read your dictionary like story book.
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 7:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
JOURNEY TO GREATNESS
NumeroUno

I love your story, really, I do.

Though, the first paragraph wasn't that catchy, I was eager to know how the journey came about and I wasn't disappointed that it turned out to be a flash back.

You were able to talk about Jide's upbringing, his life in school, the ordeal he passed through, his mother and still end the story with that touching footer.

Thank you for that educative piece!
Re: Short Story Competition by AbuMikey(m): 7:48pm On Oct 04, 2013
I though the Judges decided on choosing their Top 5 based on scores undecided

The Judges are confused I must say sad

I'm sorry if the post might offend anyone embarassed
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
cheesy, writers go soon lynch judges o....Sammy hoe ..... Pelepele, it ain't personal. Even best selling authors haven't seen those kind of words in that your short story.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
The harsher it is, the move you are to improve.

I can't comprehend this grammar o. Could you please reframe it?

Glossary
Comprehend- understand
Re: Short Story Competition by OMA4U(m): 7:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
Kslib:
Lmao!! Abeg oo..
Why i go provoke na? I didnt know i sounded harsh ooo..

Abi you wan set me up? You wan make me look like sore loser shey? grin..
Your pan no go work..lol

I was just pointing out things . Its no that serious nah.
HBG,no mind this guy oo

All izz well!

okay o. Don't mind me jawe. But I actually thought you were vexing...
In your voice: "all zzz well"

Whatever the judges say, my guy u try ooo. I swear it's not easy to write. Writing is just one herculean task
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 7:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
The harsher it is, the move you are to improve.

I can't comprehend this grammar o. Could you please reframe it?

Glossary
Comprehend- understand
ehya, person don really vex o.
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
POWER HUNGRY
AbuMikey

Abu Mikey can DESCRIBE!
Your illustrative skill is just perfect. However, be careful on how you use punctuations. I'm very sure your work was rushed, because if you had taken time to write this story, it would have been a master-piece.
You really did not organize this story well, I wish you took your time.
I enjoyed your story though
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 8:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
OMA4U

Three words for you.
YOU ARE GOOD..
It was a bit long..but make no mistake, You are good and I loved it.
Content, illustrative skills and organization was excellent.
What's the title of the story though? Or should I give it one grin
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 8:15pm On Oct 04, 2013

Thanks
You don't handle criticism well, do you?
Re: Short Story Competition by glowingscenes(f): 8:22pm On Oct 04, 2013
I just found out im enlisted in the judges list...
im so early...#.takes a seat and tries to make a straight face
#hope it works
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 8:40pm On Oct 04, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Don't blame our judges o. U know they're green in this business of censoring.

Glossary
green- inexperienced
censoring- criticising(doing the work of a critic)

Hope I'm safe cos glossary is included now ; D
To be frank, our judges need to get themselves prepared for some other times.
Judges, go step up your vocabulary...read your dictionary like story book.
Tsk tsk tsk, Sammy Hoe, you don't have monopoly over big grammar. One thing you haven't realised, or are too stuck up to realise is finesse is needed when using these dictionary grammar; something you are yet to acquire. Your work was chock filled with unnecessary grammar that lacked the finesse that would have made your work enjoyable. Let me refer you to a nairalander named Jakumo. The man is a master of 'big grammar', but he uses it in such a way that any one who read his post is left very impressed. You, Sammy, left your readers confused. That's a big difference.

All I saw in what you wrote was unnecessary bombast and circumlocution that made reading your work quite a herculean exercise. I will get to that when I submit my analyses.

Have you read Amos Tutuola's sories? I think you should.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (41) (Reply)

[story] The Perfect Couple (adults Only)…part 1 / ... / Olaokun Soyinka Writes Tonye Cole Over Airplane Seat Saga Of Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.