Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,094 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? (16330 Views)

Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills / How Much Do Doctors Doing Housejob Earn Per Month? / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by Amadaz(m): 9:06pm On Sep 17, 2013
They calculate how much your funeral could have cost and divide it by 2=Bill

4 Likes

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by bebe2(f): 10:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
GOD BLESS THE NHS, grin grin
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by drnoel: 10:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Pink_Lezbian: Some doctors are crap. **spits
Madam, just cos u were jilted by one doesnt make em all crap.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
What has doctor got to do with bills?...oh, you mean in Nigeria? Where doctor does the work of nurse+pharmacist+medical scientist+psychologist+accountant.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
it depends on the practice, location and the consultant
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by infolekan(m): 11:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
The question itself is funny....how do lawyers bill? how do schools bill you? Why do house rents vary?...
There's no standard billing pattern.....it just depends on the professionalism and the area the hospital is located and probably the clientele the owner of the hospital feels more comfortable ( patients are essentially clients when you get down to the nitty gritty)
Delivery via CS when I was in med school then was 15k in unilorin teaching hospital, 50k at the average private, 150k at some places I know and even as high as 350k in some other places THEN.
The onus lies on you to decide which one was made for you.
And same applies even in UK though the insurance coverage spares the majority.
Have you ever wondered why The health care professionals are paid different salaries too?
The going rate in UK is 40 - 65 pounds per hour( sure you can see the wide disparity in SALARY) so you wouldn't expect services to be offered at the same cost.
I hope this has helped you a little in understanding the differences and YES....there's no manual fit calculating the price except common sense...if there's Spanish tiles at the carpark....AC running at the waiting room, a receptionist that speaks better English that your girlfriend and the excessive use if Sir and unwarranted defence to your every whims and fancy.....youll probably have to pay for it all layer in ten times fold.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by reindeer: 12:31am On Sep 18, 2013
Dem use Logarithm tables grin
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by akmoh(m): 2:15am On Sep 18, 2013
doctors calculate bills because they are either too greedy or broke to employ an admin or accountant to make bills for them or they feel like a superhuman that can perform all task in a hospital. ideally every service, procedure(lab or surgical) and drugs have their prices fixed. so the cashier just has to look at what was given to the patient service and drug wise and totals the amount to derive the patient's bill. but in Nigeria, doctors manages most hospitals and as such calculates hospital bills based on what they feel they are worth. if a consultant gynecologist performs a CS on a pregnant woman, he will probably charge higher than a doctor with say 5 Years post NYSC experience. so my people, there is no standard for calculating medical bill in Nigeria; bills depends on how godly a doctor sees himself
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by GentleMimi: 7:07am On Sep 18, 2013
Andyblaze: hi guys. I am a doctor. I have ph.d
Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!!!
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by GentleMimi: 7:12am On Sep 18, 2013
Anyway,billing takes into consideration the medical procedures and consumables.More importantly,the qualification of d staff.eg,in d hsptl i work,the first person to clerk u is a medical consultant so ur bill aint gonna be little.if u wanna do a normal delivery,d bill is not less than 250k....its all abt quality.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by shynbritly: 7:17am On Sep 18, 2013
Truth is dat some services hv fixed prices. Odas dat dnt Ve, its ur socio-economic status dat wud be used. Some people can't pay bills, while oda can comfortably pay double of deirs. In order nt τ̅☺ loose, ‎​d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ ® made τ̅☺ pay d kinda bill dat covers deirs n dose citizens who cudnt pay.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by dober(m): 7:28am On Sep 18, 2013
Bills are calculated according to the services rendered, though varies with the institution.
Buh thats not withstanding, a patient/client has the RIGHT to ask questions or request for an explanation concerning his/her medical bills.

For example, here is a breakdown of bills in a private clinic:

Consultation: N6000,
Utility: N20000,
Procedures (surgical/medical): 70000,
Nursing Care: N5000,
Bed: N5000(depending on the number of days of stay),
Drugs: N10000.
TOTAL: <N116000>
It may be cheaper/more expensive in some clinics.
"Everything get grade".
But the funiest thing is that most patients must complain of their bills..
## Bills them N1000, they will beg for N500 reduction, bill them N500, they will beg for a N100 bill. Treat them for free, they will beg u for transport fare back home##.
These patients nor go kill me o.oooOoOo

3 Likes

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by smartg(m): 7:57am On Sep 18, 2013
Where is the federal ministry of health, pls your attention is needed urgently to answer and explain this question.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 18, 2013
every practice has its price list
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by laplace19(m): 9:29am On Sep 18, 2013
Clemzy16: When i was younger, i wanted to become a medical doctor so that i can administer women and see their punnani. It was such a wonderful dream to behold, no thanks to KSU, dem port me go Public administration.

LIKE if you once shared the same intention.

Lwkmd. Hahahahaha. Same here...
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 18, 2013
adeaugustus: What has doctor got to do with bills?...oh, you mean in Nigeria? Where doctor does the work of nurse+pharmacist+medical scientist+psychologist+accountant.
1million likes

1 Like

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by Dagr8tosyn: 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2013
This topic is interesting and I must tell you my experience in a popular hospital(forget about the name) in Ikorodu 2012, after going through a severe stomach pains in the evening of this day, I was rushed into the hospital, the young Doctor on duty said after doing test you are having ulcer make sure you eat early enough ok, gave me some drips, pills and about 5 injections, slept their and next day they brought bill of N35,000...I paid and left, 3months down the line I was rushed to the same hospital and test was done, this time it was in the early hours of the morning. I was given injection to relief me, placed on drip, and the Doctor was forced to say what was wrong with me...He final said food poison, fine! after four injections, pills and 4 drips next day morning the most senior Doctor of the hospital came and said young man you are having appendicitis, go and pay N140,000 and we will operate it for you (without evidence I said to myself NOT possible) then I asked him, Please can we have a scan to confirm it? He said I have tested you via the turning and your leg I pulled up to confirm you are feeling pains in the lower abdomen...I laughed on the inside these people are morons, they need some money...I quickly asked him again, Sir how much is our money for now after spending the 1st night he said N35,000again. Then and there I told my Mum, please tell these people I want a discharge I'll rather go to the General hospital for a scan. She supported and next day I prayed to God rejected the position of the Doctor...after few hours scan was done and they confirmed no traces of appendicitis. I laughed...Nigeria! may God help us.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by danaz(m): 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2013
Doctors do not bill patients.hospitals,whether private or public bill patients.

so therefore topic shld be how do hospitals make their bills..

The bill depends on the service rendered.medical consultation is jst one service.
You have lab serv, admission fee(dpnds on d type of room n facility e.g ac, tv,cable,microwave,internet etc),length of stay,surgery done,d type n complexity, follow up etc

Let it be emphasised,doctors do not bill patients.Every service has a price tag.the doctor does what he thinks the patient needs while admin calc total bill for serv rendered
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by ITbomb(m): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2013
Da gr8tosyn: gave me some drips, pills and about 5 injections, slept their and next day they brought bill of N35,000...I paid and left,

What if after treatment , u no gree pay , what will they do ?
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by ozodigboo(m): 6:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
ITbomb:
What if after treatment , u no gree pay , what will they do ?
Either of 2 things.

1. Do nothing - forget the bill - God will judge - another illness will bring u back, and u are finished.
2. The hospital can arrange police/soldiers, pay them to get u - u will pay much more because the police will be settled from that your money.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by ziga: 7:42pm On Sep 18, 2013
adeaugustus: What has doctor got to do with bills?...oh, you mean in Nigeria? Where doctor does the work of nurse+pharmacist+medical scientist+psychologist+accountant.

I agree that sometimes people go overboard in Nigeria because rules are not enforced. However, there is nothing wrong with if Doctors who own "small clinics"/small businesses take on some of these extra responsibilities.

Just like you expecting a road side Akara seller to employ a cashier, a cleaner etc.

Make we no allow beef to cloud our judgement ejor!!!

The Docs training is broad enough to overlap into most of the other duties that you mentioned. The problem we have in Nigeria is that limits have to be set.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by eaglechild: 9:35pm On Sep 18, 2013
Da gr8tosyn: This topic is interesting and I must tell you my experience in a popular hospital(forget about the name) in Ikorodu 2012, after going through a severe stomach pains in the evening of this day, I was rushed into the hospital, the young Doctor on duty said after doing test you are having ulcer make sure you eat early enough ok, gave me some drips, pills and about 5 injections, slept their and next day they brought bill of N35,000...I paid and left, 3months down the line I was rushed to the same hospital and test was done, this time it was in the early hours of the morning. I was given injection to relief me, placed on drip, and the Doctor was forced to say what was wrong with me...He final said food poison, fine! after four injections, pills and 4 drips next day morning the most senior Doctor of the hospital came and said young man you are having appendicitis, go and pay N140,000 and we will operate it for you (without evidence I said to myself NOT possible) then I asked him, Please can we have a scan to confirm it? He said I have tested you via the turning and your leg I pulled up to confirm you are feeling pains in the lower abdomen...I laughed on the inside these people are morons, they need some money...I quickly asked him again, Sir how much is our money for now after spending the 1st night he said N35,000again. Then and there I told my Mum, please tell these people I want a discharge I'll rather go to the General hospital for a scan. She supported and next day I prayed to God rejected the position of the Doctor...after few hours scan was done and they confirmed no traces of appendicitis. I laughed...Nigeria! may God help us.
Clinical acumen has a large role to play in the diagnosis of appendicitis
Ultrasonography has its limitations. While it may help confirm that one has appendicitis, it does not rule out its presence.
Its sensitivity is about 70 to 85% depending on the examiner/equipment.

In other words, one may have a seemingly normal ultrasound scan but still have appendicitis.
A good Radiologist will tell you that.
However, i am not saying that this applied in your case.

When you have doubts about the treatment you are receiving do well to ask the doctor, if not satisfied try and inquire from another qualified medical practitioner before drawing any conclusions.

The topic on billing is vague because in government hospitals doctors are not directly involved in billing.
In private hospitals bills depend on the expertise of the health team, the materials used, the location(the hospital pays utilities), the clientele the hospital hopes to attract etc.
It is somewhat similar to other professions, not all lawyers/architects/ engineers charge the same.

1 Like

Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by mcabanum: 11:44pm On Sep 18, 2013
Very funny. Is taxi drop same price in lagos , abuja, portharcourt, ibadan n ur village?are all d cabs equally comfortable ? Are all roads n routes similar in terms of traffic n port holes . When u c a beetle n u go for a limo am sure u will have an idea about the price difference ! Try run a small biz n u will understand hw to fix prices for ur service .
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by AreaFada2: 9:55am On Sep 19, 2013
Andyblaze: forensics.

Same thing na. Garricological forensics.
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by LawChick: 8:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
ITbomb, please your attention is needed as par your GIFT -

https://www.nairaland.com/1473001/free-trendy-wrist-watch-more#18919605
Re: How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? by psucc(m): 2:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
reindeer: Dem use Logarithm tables grin

Bros e b lik say na f9 u get 4 maths. na tru o o o! Na real quadratic eqn them use. That is why the result b + or -. Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Replaces Striking Doctors At Isolation Centre With Volunteers / Any Cosmetic Dentist In Nigeria For Teeth whiten Smile? / Two Men Drowned While Swimming In Ogun River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.