Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,818 members, 7,827,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? (2623 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Pastor-Chris Erects Massive Billboard Of Professions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 19, 2013
Evil Brain:

A little bit.

That has so many meanings.

You could be.....

A nurse
A witchdoctor
A quack
A student doctor (studying medicine in uni)
A herbalist
A practitioner in health sector (psychologist, nutritionist etc)

What are you?
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by cyrexx: 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
Evil Brain: Medical Doctor.

Nothing illustrates the problem of evil better than watching a one year old slowly suffer and die from cancer.

And you get to see first hand the uselessness of prayer. It's hard not to start having doubts by the 10,000th time you see an hours long prayer session lead by a visiting pastor end without result. Then you see simple evidence based measures working consistently.

I'll never forget the time I counselled one virgin-type born again chick whose new husband had given her Chalmydia and blocked both her tubes. Meanwhile, the most promiscuous women who use condoms consistently never catch anything.

Medicine forces you to see how the real world works. Most of my colleagues who are still religious make sure that they keep their religion at home while at work. And when they are counselling patients, you'd be amazed at how atheistic they sound. People actually think [I]I'm[/i] the one that's a Christian.

I fully agree with you. You can't work by helping suffering people and not know within yourself that you will do a better job of solving/preventing the problem of human suffering if you have all the powers of omniscience, omnipotence and omnibenevolence. But of course there's no such being with those powers, we humans just imagined one.

Sam Harris explained this dilemma perfectly and simply...

1 Like

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 3:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

That has so many meanings.

You could be.....

A nurse
A witchdoctor
A quack
A student doctor (studying medicine in uni)
A herbalist
A practitioner in health sector (psychologist, nutritionist etc)

What are you?

Post-grad surgical resident.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 19, 2013
Evil Brain:

Post-grad surgical resident.

Swagg. cool

It is said that the most intelligent peeps are usually the most quiet.....no wonder
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 4:12pm On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Swagg. cool

It is said that the most intelligent peeps are usually the most quiet.....no wonder

There's nothing swaggerlicious about being a doctor in Nigeria. You can make more money answering calls at MTN.

But let me not derail the thread with my complaining.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 5:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
Historians also can be prone to be non-believers; they see that patterns of history show no clear link with any people to god. Also they know that historical claims can be greatly exaggerated or falsified, and that the ruling classes have always used religion to control others.

Psychologists as well. They can identify techniques used by people to control other people, and can spot these techniques being used by religions and religious people.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by turnstoner(m): 6:09pm On Sep 19, 2013
even street-wise touts know the truth:

if you don't find bread before sun-set you'll starve

its not rocket science to know that manna doesn't fall from heaven!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
onetrack: Historians also can be prone to be non-believers; they see that patterns of history show no clear link with any people to god. Also they know that historical claims can be greatly exaggerated or falsified, and that the ruling classes have always used religion to control others.

Psychologists as well. They can identify techniques used by people to control other people, and can spot these techniques being used by religions and religious people.

Psychologists are the best......they know that man is driven by intrinsic urges not religion or god.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 6:28pm On Sep 19, 2013
Historians- Have studied history of religions and know that most of it is embellished, false or pure mythology. . .

Care givers and social workers like doctors, nurses, first respondents terms of disasters and community organizers- They see first hand that prayers are useless and there is no personal god any where that heals, answers prayers or comfort those in pains or those who were attacked or ravaged by disasters. . .

Astrophysicist- They see the vastness of the universe and know that no tribal god created it. . .

Psychologists- As some one stated they can identify techniques used by people to control other people and they know that religion is nohing but a controlling tool. . .religion is nothing other than following another persons ideas, culture , its just living your life according to the way others want you to live it. . .
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 6:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
Pastors

Because who can be better at smelling bullshît than someone who shovels it for a living?

I'm convinced that most of those guys are cynical conmen, especially the healing and prosperity types. How could you be fooled by fake miracles when you're the one performing them?

I don't believe in hell, but I wish there was a special place in it for those asshöles.

4 Likes

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 7:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
Evil Brain: Pastors

Because who can be better at smelling bullshît than someone who shovels it for a living?

I'm convinced that most of those guys are cynical conmen, especially the healing and prosperity types. How could you be fooled by fake miracles when you're the one performing them?

I don't believe in hell, but I wish there was a special place in it for those asshöles.

A lot of pastors are actually non believers. . Those that perform fake miracles and sell false snake oil in the name of prosperity etc. . . .Some Popes in the past were non believers. . .
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
mazaje:

A lot of pastors are actually non believers. . Those that perform fake miracles and sell false snake oil in the name of prosperity etc. . . .Some Popes in the past were non believers. . .

True that.
Personally, I think they are. That is why they go around misbehaving and acting like as if they answer to no one......well they dont answer to anyone. And they know that. So they have chosen to get paid here on earth and then start preaching heaven for money to their gullible sheeple.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2013
mazaje:

Hell, even Mother Teresa ended up an atheist. A fact that is highly embarrassing to all of us given how much harm she did to those who were unfortunate enough to fall into her hands.

As long as you're smart enough and honest with yourself, the realities of life and the deafening silence whenever you pray will eventually lead you to atheism.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 7:54pm On Sep 19, 2013
Evil Brain:

Hell, even Mother Teresa ended up an atheist. A fact that is highly embarrassing to all of us given how much harm she did to those who were unfortunate enough to fall into her hands.

As long as you're smart enough and honest with yourself, the realities of life and the deafening silence whenever you pray will eventually lead you to atheism.

Many theist have come up with answers to that, some now say that prayer is just a communication with god. . .Some say god's will supersedes. . .Others say god does not need to answer humans because he is not obligated to love humans. . .Different answers just to keep promoting mythology. . .
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 21, 2013
mazaje:

Many theist have come up with answers to that, some now say that prayer is just a communication with god. . .Some say god's will supersedes. . .Others say god does not need to answer humans because he is not obligated to love humans. . .Different answers just to keep promoting mythology. . .

#Any excuse for God
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 21, 2013
Hmm, All Profession only points to the supremacy of OMNISCIENT unless such profession doesn't deal with Knowledge !!!

Accounting has drew me nearer to how to discharge my ''stewardship report'' to God ...........I now keep record of my activities,classifying them,analysing,summarising them and interpreting the result of my actions and inactions !!!

My Ledger and God's Ledger should show the same Balance ........ After Forgiveness,Blessings and Mercy is added to the transactions !!!

As for Atheist Profession, May Be U shall find one when U leave the COSMOS, I doubt it sha ooo !!!

I don land !!!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 21, 2013
donroxy: Hmm, All Profession only points to the supremacy of OMNISCIENT unless such profession doesn't deal with Knowledge !!!

Accounting has drew me nearer to how to discharge my ''stewardship report'' to God ...........I now keep record of my activities,classifying them,analysing,summarising them and interpreting the result of my actions and inactions !!!

My Ledger and God's Ledger should show the same Balance ........ After Forgiveness,Blessings and Mercy is added to the transactions !!!

As for Atheist Profession, May Be U shall find one when U leave the COSMOS, I doubt it sha ooo !!!

I don land !!!

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 21, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what is wrong with that dude in the picture ....... Is he having some headache ?

And that is never Jesus !!!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Afrobasic(m): 8:53pm On Sep 21, 2013
computer programming

I'm of the opinion that most good programmers tend to be Atheist(especially those in advanced countries), because coding has to do fully with logic... you can't pray away your error codes.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Zeebah23(f): 10:14pm On Sep 21, 2013
Psychology.
Philosophy and Logic.
Theology,Religious studies-Strange but true.
Any who studied/studies Advanced Marxism is more likely to be an atheist than a 'believer'.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by beejaay: 2:48am On Sep 22, 2013
Logicboy03: Atheist professions?

Well, we know that most scientists in the Western world are atheists or agnostics. So, are there any other professions that lead or pushes people towards atheism?

Personally, I think poetry and philosophy pushes people to atheism as well. Of course there will be many theist/religious poets and philosophers. However, many of the poets and philosophers that I know personally or from reading about are either atheists or not religious.

Philosophy makes you to ask questions and so, if you are a deep philosopher, you must eventually question faith. A good example is the contradiction between freewill and omnipotence/omniscience. An all knowing being can not exist where there is freewill because that being will know the future with 100% certainty....meaning that the future is written in stone.

I want to know if there are any other professions the skew towards atheism....
There is no contradiction between freewill and omnipotence/omniscience, the problem is that people don't understanbd the meaning and relationship of those words. Ominiscence means no past and no future, that the only time that exist is the present moment(one seconds ago is already past), if you have timei would like you read and critisize Tao Te Ching (its an 81 poem by Lao Ztu).freewill and ominiscense/ominipotent are one and the same
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 2:48am On Sep 22, 2013
mazaje:
Astrophysicist- They see the vastness of the universe and know that no tribal god created it. . .

A picture is worth a thousand words

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 2:52am On Sep 22, 2013
@ Evil Brain: Not all doctors are like the ones you mention, many are religious, open about it, and you especially should know that.

@ Zeebah: Your picks are okay. The one on Theology is true, an unbiased and fairly thorough textual criticism of the Bible, not the shallow ones done in some Bible colleges, does sow doubt in some. As you know, it doesn't always apply.

@ Afrobasic: SMH.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Afrobasic(m): 3:04am On Sep 22, 2013
^^^
smh
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 4:00am On Sep 22, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ Evil Brain: Not all doctors are like the ones you mention, many are religious, open about it, and you especially should know that.

Correct, which is why I wrote this:

... you get to see first hand the uselessness of prayer. It's hard not to start having doubts by the 10,000th time you see an hours long prayer session lead by a visiting pastor end without result.

...Most of my colleagues who are still religious make sure that they keep their religion at home while at work. And when they are counselling patients, you'd be amazed at how atheistic they sound. People actually think I'm the one that's a Christian.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you took "The medical profession makes you more likely to be an atheist" to mean "All doctors are atheists, no exceptions!!!". That's the kind of over simplistic, black and white thinking that you are known for.

In case you still don't get my point, what I meant was that not all doctors are atheists. However, the medical profession forces you to confront the realities of life; and dangles the lies and absurdities religion peddles in front of your eyes constantly so you can't ignore them. Therefore, doctors are more likely to be atheists or at least harbour suspicions about religion which they may or may not voice out.

Happy?
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:41am On Sep 22, 2013
beejaay:
There is no contradiction between freewill and omnipotence/omniscience, the problem is that people don't understanbd the meaning and relationship of those words. Ominiscence means no past and no future, that the only time that exist is the present moment(one seconds ago is already past), if you have timei would like you read and critisize Tao Te Ching (its an 81 poem by Lao Ztu).freewill and ominiscense/ominipotent are one and the same

There is no contradiction between freewill and omniscience?

Instead of telling me to read something why not go and read an encyclopedia of philosophy on the problem of freewill?

Religion is the sole thing that gives ignorant people confidence against facts
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:44am On Sep 22, 2013
Computer programming and other related computer science projects...

In my opinion, most programmers I know are at least skeptics.

1 Like

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:19am On Sep 22, 2013
aManFromMars: Computer programming and other related computer science projects...

In my opinion, most programmers I know are at least skeptics.

Javanian?
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:22am On Sep 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

Javanian?

Yeah, Javanian is skeptic, used to be an atheist sha.... also some other dudes on the programming section...
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by beejaay: 7:48am On Sep 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

There is no contradiction between freewill and omniscience?

Instead of telling me to read something why not go and read an encyclopedia of philosophy on the problem of freewill?

Religion is the sole thing that gives ignorant people confidence against facts
Bros relax cos am not against you,am just asking to broaden ur horizon a little bit.am not a religious person neither am I atheist,agnoist,theist or belong to any group for that matter,I have realised that belonging to a particular is like discarding every other lens. While sticking to only one. And for the record there is nothing like fact in the real sense of the world so there is nothing to be ignorant about. Am also a student of philosophy and philosophy have been more thanb help to me but it doest offer any answer. As a student of philosophy which am sure u are,u should consantly keep an open mind cos u never knw when the open mindedness will be ur greatest help.
So bros am sorry if I av offended in any way trying to ask u to look within and not without, Eistein said "no problem can be solve with the same level of mind that created" which means that once u av arrived at a junction u will need ti move to the next
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by beejaay: 7:56am On Sep 22, 2013
The beauty of atheism is that it allow one to probe everythin without the compulsion of believing anything but this days atheist are becoming rigid like their religious counterpart

The world god have become empty of meaning that u see people arguing for or against as if they know what it is they argue for or against,the word god av bcome a mental idol that immediately the word is pronounced, an image of a man woith beard readily comes to mind when the word actually explain nothing but simply a plain line asking you to fill in the gap
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 22, 2013
Atheism allow one see the world the way it is. No one needs to be taught anything,everything we need to know is in printed in our DNA.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prophetic Declaration By Rev. Ntia I. Ntia / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/08/15 / Scientist Declares Science Has Found The Biblical God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.