Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,837 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? (2610 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Pastor-Chris Erects Massive Billboard Of Professions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 19, 2013
Atheist professions?

Well, we know that most scientists in the Western world are atheists or agnostics. So, are there any other professions that lead or pushes people towards atheism?

Personally, I think poetry and philosophy pushes people to atheism as well. Of course there will be many theist/religious poets and philosophers. However, many of the poets and philosophers that I know personally or from reading about are either atheists or not religious.

Philosophy makes you to ask questions and so, if you are a deep philosopher, you must eventually question faith. A good example is the contradiction between freewill and omnipotence/omniscience. An all knowing being can not exist where there is freewill because that being will know the future with 100% certainty....meaning that the future is written in stone.

I want to know if there are any other professions the skew towards atheism....
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by mumumugu(m): 9:27am On Sep 19, 2013
Law
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by ooman(m): 9:30am On Sep 19, 2013
most professions are already secular. Finance, Engineering, ICT, Law etc, these are already secular jobs that make you forget gods and focus on what matters.

Unless you wanna be a Minister of Atheism specifically, I think most jobs, excluding the religious jobs, are secular enough

tongue tongue tongue
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 19, 2013
mumumugu: Law

Why law?

Can you explain further
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Emusan(m): 9:54am On Sep 19, 2013
ooman: most professions are already secular. Finance, Engineering, ICT, Law etc, these are already secular jobs that make you forget gods and focus on what matters.

Unless you wanna be a Minister of Atheism specifically, I think most jobs, excluding the religious jobs, are secular enough

tongue tongue tongue

Ooman how have you been quite a long time?

I'm an enginner the more I study engineering the more I love God not even because of my profession but because God has revealed Himself to me that makes me believe on Him. So matter profession i study that can change me.

Shalom!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 19, 2013
ooman: most professions are already secular. Finance, Engineering, ICT, Law etc, these are already secular jobs that make you forget gods and focus on what matters.

tongue tongue tongue

You make a valid point.

However, it can also be arged that secularism doesnt hinder religion. The jobs are not innatley religious but a religious person can do it.

Science as a job (being a scientist) is kinda confusing for a theist/religious person- especially if he or she has a personal omnipotent God.

Science already explains away the things that were usually claimed to be a manifestation of God.....
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Kennito90(m): 10:08am On Sep 19, 2013
I dnt tink being a philosopher or studying philosophy cn realy make 1 such, cos i was wit 1 of my pastor who is a professor of philosophy n evn wit his frnd who is also a professor of philosophy in university of calabar, n dis 2 champions are senior pastors in dia respective ministry. So it all dpend on ur stand n believe.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by cyrexx: 10:15am On Sep 19, 2013
Astrophysicists = you can't understand the vastness of our unimaginably gigantic universe and think it's created by some tribalistic Jewish or Arabic god (Yahweh/Allah) who has nothing serious to do but worry about what you believe about him.

Social workers= if your work involves helping people undergoing deep poverty and suffering and those people are sincere believers and followers of god, you can't help but wonder if there any being in the sky who gives a damn whatever happens to humans. Actually, this is part of the things that marked the beginnings of my soul-searching journey toward atheism.

Geologists= you cant have all the evidence of the age of the earth (several billion years)and still think it was created six thousand years ago by a god.

These are the ones I have for now.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by ooman(m): 10:16am On Sep 19, 2013
Kennito90: I dnt tink being a philosopher or studying philosophy cn realy make 1 such, cos i was wit 1 of my pastor who is a professor of philosophy n evn wit his frnd who is also a professor of philosophy in university of calabar, n dis 2 champions are senior pastors in dia respective ministry. So it all dpend on ur stand n believe.

True, I also have family members with doctorates and PhDs in material science, life science and psychology who are pastors, reverends and really religious people.

I think that disbelief in god goes deeper than profession but application of reason and logic.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 19, 2013
Kennito90: I dnt tink being a philosopher or studying philosophy cn realy make 1 such, cos i was wit 1 of my pastor who is a professor of philosophy n evn wit his frnd who is also a professor of philosophy in university of calabar, n dis 2 champions are senior pastors in dia respective ministry. So it all dpend on ur stand n believe.

True talk.....I agree. For philosophy, it is not always that clear that the philosopher will be put into atheism
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by ooman(m): 10:18am On Sep 19, 2013
cyrexx: Astrophysicists = you can't understand the vastness of our unimaginably gigantic universe and think it's created by some tribalistic Jewish or Arabic god (Yahweh/Allah) who has nothing serious to do but worry about what you believe about him.

Social workers= if your work involves helping people undergoing deep poverty and suffering and those people are sincere believers and followers of god, you can't help but wonder if there any being in the sky who gives a damn whatever happens to humans. Actually, this is part of the things that marked the beginnings of my soul-searching journey toward atheism.

Geologists= you cant have all the evidence of the age of the earth (several billion years)and still think it was created six thousand years ago a god.

If I were religious, I'd tackle you with the intelligent design theory of universe. And I'd tell you am an old earth creationist for geology.

These deluded religious people are really evolving, but still, they are against evolution.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 19, 2013
cyrexx: Astrophysicists = you can't understand the vastness of our unimaginably gigantic universe and think it's created by some tribalistic Jewish or Arabic god (Yahweh/Allah) who has nothing serious to do but worry about what you believe about him.

Geologists= you cant have all the evidence of the age of the earth (several billion years)and still think it was created six thousand years ago a god.

lol....the social workers one is making me laugh.....

In a debate in London between Hitchens, a reverend father from Abuja and a catholic ex-British MP....a woman from the crowd begged the catholics to stop preaching against condoms/contraceptives in Africa----she is a social worker cheesy
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 19, 2013
ooman:

If I were religious, I'd tackle you with the intelligent design theory of universe. And I'd tell you am an old earth creationist for geology.

These deluded religious people are really evolving, but still, they are against evolution.

Catholic scientists and science teachers now teach that God guided evolution
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by ooman(m): 10:24am On Sep 19, 2013
Emusan:

Ooman how have you been quite a long time?

I'm an enginner the more I study engineering the more I love God not even because of my profession but because God has revealed Himself to me that makes me believe on Him. So matter profession i study that can change me.

Shalom!

@bold-my point is still made, you believe in god cos of your delusions, not because of your profession. Besides, there is really nothing in engineering itself that might make you doubt your white master jesus, since another white master laid the foundation of everything you know in engineering. You dont apply your reasoning, you have no reason to.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by ooman(m): 10:26am On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Catholic scientists and science teachers now teach that God guided evolution

well they are evolving, they will soon get there.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 19, 2013
ooman:

well they are evolving, they will soon get there.

Lol...that's a long way...
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by ooman(m): 11:14am On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lol...that's a long way...

I prophesy 2000 years is all it takes and religion shall go extinct.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 11:42am On Sep 19, 2013
The OP is ludicrous. Most poets and philosophers over time have been religious. Even now. That said, evolutionary biology is one are that pushes people towards atheism since it undercuts the Bible's creation tale. Others are astrophysics, and maybe, philosophy.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by mumumugu(m): 11:42am On Sep 19, 2013
Lawyers are always searching for loopholes so they accuse.tell a lawyer a story,he will ask you every question related to convince him its a lie. To lawyers,the first thing a client says is a lie.
In the same way,they doubt bible
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 19, 2013
Uyi Iredia: The OP is ludicrous. Most poets and philosophers over time have been religious. Even now. That said, evolutionary biology is one are that pushes people towards atheism since it undercuts the Bible's creation tale. Others are astrophysics, and maybe, philosophy.

Please, update yourself to the 21st century abeg
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 19, 2013
mumumugu: Lawyers are always searching for loopholes so they accuse.tell a lawyer a story,he will ask you every question related to convince him its a lie. To lawyers,the first thing a client says is a lie.
In the same way,they doubt bible

Oh, I see what you were trying to say now
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by jayriginal: 11:52am On Sep 19, 2013
There is an unlikely culprit.

Being a religious leader (pastor, pope, priest, etc) pushes one into atheism. I believe most of these people do not believe in the god they preach. They just dont know it or they refuse to accept it.

4 Likes

Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 19, 2013
jayriginal: There is an unlikely culprit.

Being a religious leader (pastor, pope, priest, etc) pushes one into atheism. I believe most of these people do not believe in the god they preach. They just dont know it or they refuse to accept it.

Hundreds of catholic priests have come out saying that they stopped believing for a long time before retiring from the clergy

Unfortunately, the pedophile ones remain christians grin grin grin
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Please, update yourself to the 21st century abeg

I see. And can you compare lists of religious and atheist prominent poets to test my posit. Of course, we know you wouldn't.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 19, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I see. And can you compare lists of religious and atheist prominent poets to test my posit. Of course, we know you wouldn't.

Erm....okay....you win. Poets are religious. Go and celebrate
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 1:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Erm....okay....you win. Poets are religious. Go and celebrate

Nah. Celebrate ke ! Na to jus dey laff !
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Emusan(m): 2:18pm On Sep 19, 2013
ooman:

@bold-my point is still made, you believe in god cos of your delusions, not because of your profession. Besides, there is really nothing in engineering itself that might make you doubt your white master jesus, since another white master laid the foundation of everything you know in engineering. You dont apply your reasoning, you have no reason to.

I said God reveals Himself to me you still call it delusion hmmmm,

Shalom!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 19, 2013
I' ve interest in this thread !!!

Make I go come !!!
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 3:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
Medical Doctor.

Nothing illustrates the problem of evil better than watching a one year old slowly suffer and die from cancer.

And you get to see first hand the uselessness of prayer. It's hard not to start having doubts by the 10,000th time you see an hours long prayer session lead by a visiting pastor end without result. Then you see simple evidence based measures working consistently.

I'll never forget the time I counselled one virgin-type born again chick whose new husband had given her Chalmydia and blocked both her tubes. Meanwhile, the most promiscuous women who use condoms consistently never catch anything.

Medicine forces you to see how the real world works. Most of my colleagues who are still religious make sure that they keep their religion at home while at work. And when they are counselling patients, you'd be amazed at how atheistic they sound. People actually think I'm the one that's a Christian.
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
Evil Brain: Medical Doctor.

Nothing illustrates the problem of evil better than watching a one year old slowly suffer and die from cancer.

And you get to see first hand the uselessness of prayer. It's hard not to start having doubts by the 10,000th time you see an hours long prayer session lead by a visiting pastor end without result. Then you see simple evidence based measures working consistently.

I'll never forget the time I counselled one virgin-type born again chick whose new husband had given her Chalmydia and blocked both her tubes. Meanwhile, the most promiscuous women who use condoms consistently never catch anything.

Medicine forces you to see how the teal world works. Most of my colleagues who are still religious make sure that they keep their religion at home while at work. And when they are counselling patients, you'd be amazed at how atheistic they sound. People actually think [I]I'm[/I] the one that's a Christian.

Are you a doctor?
Re: Are There Professions That Will Make You More Likely To Be An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 3:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Are you a doctor?

A little bit.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evolution Of The Eye / Kenneth Copeland Prays For Airport Service Personnel In Lagos / 5 Reason Why A Muslim Should Convert To Jesus Follower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.