Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,137 members, 7,860,087 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:30 AM

Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod (953 Views)

Amnesty Office Seeks Presidential Nod To Disarm Arepo Pipeline Vandals, Others / Planned S/west Integration Awaits Legislatures' Nod / Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by Ping411: 5:31pm On Sep 19, 2013
Phone and internet communications made by Nigerians daily will be open to government monitoring and when necessary, interception, according to a new law given a second reading by the Senate on Wednesday.

The law will allow government law enforcement agents filter and tap into communications and will also outlaw unauthorised interception of internet and phone communications.

The proposal, titled ‘A Bill for An Act to Provide for the Interception, Development And Protection of Communications Networks and Facilities For Public Interest And Other Related Matters, 2013’, passed a second reading on Wednesday.

After the passage on Wednesday, the bill will be considered by committees on Communications, Judiciary and National Security which will hold public hearings on the merits and demerits of the bill. It will then be given a third reading before similar approval by the House of Representatives and the president’s assent to make it a law.

The Senate said the move was aimed at tackling terrorism.

“The bill intends to provide for certain instances where lawful interception of communications data by law enforcement agencies shall be allowed while at the same time ensuring that privacy and communications of citizens is maintained,” sponsor of the bill, Isa Galaudu, from Kebbi north, said on Wednesday.

phoneHe cited similar laws in other countries, including Information Technology Act, 2000 of India; Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-Related Information Act, 2003 of South Africa; and the USA Patriot Act, 2001.

Amongst other things, the bill when passed into law, will provide for the protection of communication network against abuse for public interest; protect the interest of communication users through prohibition of interception and provide circumstances under which interception may be permitted for public interest.

It will also ban the provision of telecoms services which do not have the capability to be intercepted, bar the manufacturing, assembling, processing, selling, and advertising of equipment illegally used as interception devices.

Mr Galaudu said the law will strengthen the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Independent Corrupt Practices and Related Offences Commission (ICPC), and the Terrorism Prevention Law.

“In most cases, these communications may be the only source for proving that individuals have been involved in such criminality or that their activities threaten national security,” he said.

Nigerians have grown wary of a planned internet spy programme since it became public knowledge the government was planning one, allegedly awarded to an Israeli firm.

The House of Representatives had kicked against the contract and announced an investigation which has yet to hold.

Many Nigerians express concerns that the law may be abused by the government.

The “lawful interception” will allow the police, States Security Service, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), EFCC, ICPC and other agencies to examine the contents of users’ telephone calls, e-mail messages, text messages, and multimedia applications.

“It is pertinent to note that the bill strengthens the terrorism prevention act, which empowers the Attorney-General of the Federation, National Security Adviser or the Inspector-General of Police to acquire information relating to terrorist groups and terrorist acts and conduct investigations or search with or without warrant to prevent or establish a crime of terrorism in Nigeria,” said Mr Galaudu.

http://telegraphng.com/2013/09/internet-phone-tapping-law-gets-senate-approval/
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by fr3do(m): 5:42pm On Sep 19, 2013
I support the bill
hope they also probe corrupt politicians with it.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by deeptesting(m): 5:50pm On Sep 19, 2013
We need an Edward Snowden.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by iterator25: 6:29pm On Sep 19, 2013
deeptesting: We need an Edward Snowden.
if any 'Nigerian' Edward snowden surfaces, they'll kill him with sango... even Putin will not save him from orunmila (it's more advanced than GPS)
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by ogb5(m): 8:24pm On Sep 19, 2013
This is against the fundamental rights of the citizens enshrined in the Nigeria constitution.

They will need to amend the constitution first before this bill can be legal.

Chapter IV Article 37 of the Nigeria Constitution states

" The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected."

The privacy of my telephone conversation is guaranteed by the constitution, no one can enact a law that is against the letter and spirit of the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by tpia5: 10:53pm On Sep 19, 2013
does that mean we'll see a rash of s.tupid nlers with a god complex?

aka peeping toms.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by solomon111(m): 11:12pm On Sep 19, 2013
ogb5:

This is against the fundamental rights of the citizens enshrined in the Nigeria constitution.

" The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected."

The privacy of my telephone conversation is guaranteed by the constitution, no one can enact a law that is against the letter and spirit of the constitution.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by solomon111(m): 11:12pm On Sep 19, 2013
ogb5:

The constitution can be amended.
Afterall,people like you are always accusing the govt of incompetence whenever shekau releases one of his usual Youtube videos.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by hunter21(m): 11:34pm On Sep 19, 2013
i thought sss already does phone tapping
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by Horus(m): 12:34am On Sep 20, 2013
The FG want to spy on people who fight corruption
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by okooloyun1(m): 12:43am On Sep 20, 2013
Well it`s a nice move but wait ooo, so when me and my babe dey do our dirty talk dem go dey listen hope sey konji no go worry dem so tey dem go dey grab themselves 4k sha.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by Stunner1(f): 1:39am On Sep 20, 2013
bad market for d fraudulent ppl
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by ziccoit: 2:10am On Sep 20, 2013
fr3do: I support the bill
hope they also probe corrupt politicians with it.

You support a bill just like that when you don't know what contain therein? Have you read a copy of the bill? Nigerians are jokers.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by fr3do(m): 4:25am On Sep 20, 2013
ziccoit:

You support a bill just like that when you don't know what contain therein? Have you read a copy of the bill? Nigerians are jokers.

is there to the bill?
I've nothing to hide
I support the bill joor angry
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by solomon111(m): 5:08am On Sep 20, 2013
Horus: The FG want to spy on people who fight corruption
The EFCC was listed as part of those to do the monitoring.
So,i don't know what you mean.
Re: Internet, Phone Tapping Law Gets Senate Nod by Danhumprey: 5:57am On Sep 20, 2013
oko-oloyun:
Well it`s a nice move but wait ooo, so when me and my babe dey do our dirty talk dem go dey listen hope sey konji no go worry dem so tey dem go dey grab themselves 4k sha.
Lol.......konji is no respecter of person ooo grin

(1) (Reply)

States Creation: North, South Head For Showdown / How Boko Haram Members Decapitated Nigerian Airforce Officer / Osun Election:Obanikoro Congratulates Aregbesola.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.