Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity (7712 Views)

Babies Born With Mini Koran And Islamic Chaplet....what Next / Distinctions Btw Western Culture And Islamic Culture / Introduction And Islamic Wedding (nikkah) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by tbaba1234: 12:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

Yes, I am a muslim. So, how can I be a bigot against islam.

I am against islamists who want to force islam in the UK.

How can a muslim claim to be law abiding when he wants to be against the laws of a country (a country mostly made up with non-muslims)?

Do you think that it makes sense for there to be sharia law in britain when majority would not even understand it?

You are logicboy.

No one is trying to enforce 'sharia law' on anyone. If you are a muslim, you would know that sharia law encompasses everything you do and is not just limited to the state laws.

And yes, it is part of the sharia to be law abiding in the land you live.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2013
tbaba1234:

, Every culture has a definition of 'human rights'. To suggest that the western principles are universal is what is disingenuous not this article.

Calling me names won't stop me from exposing your falsehoods.

@ bold, can you tell me the IGBO definition of human rights?

smh
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

Calling me names wont change the facts
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by maclatunji: 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

Calling me names won't stop me from exposing your falsehoods.

@ bold, can you tell me the IGBO definition of human rights?

smh

Read "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by maclatunji: 12:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

Calling me names wont change the facts

It proves you are not Muslim, just an hyperactive troll.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 12:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

Read "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe.

The lies and deception some muslims tell.....smh

We have all read Things fall apart. Explain where you found IGBO human rights in the book.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by SimplySEA(m): 12:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
AbdH:

Nobody is forcing others to worship God. Even the Qur'an says that 'there is no compulsion in religion.....'
Freedom is what people yearn for. Men now marry men all in the name of freedom....wonderful!
IF U READ D POST I QUOTED, U'D NOTICE D POSTER WAS REFERIN TO MUSLIM WOMEN PERFORMIN IN A BEAUTY PAGEANT.. TRUTH BE TOLD,THESE PEOPLE DESIRE THIS FREEDOM AND WUD RELISH A CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE.
COS OF THEIR RESTRICTIONS,THEY CREATED AN ISLAMIC PROTOTYPE! ISN'T THIS OBVIOUS?

3 Likes

Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 12:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

It proves you are not

What proves that I am not ?
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by burkutu: 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2013
[quote author=Kairoseki77]

There is a Muslim man who is being hailed as a hero around the world for saving people in Kenya. His name is Abdul Haji.

You should go put his story on the front page and leave this nonsense.

None of the things the author mentioned are western inventions. The author is obviously poorly educated and ignorant. Preaching that Muslims should reject democracy and embrace religious theocracy is traitorous during these trying times in Nigeria.

Maclatunji, millions of
chop knukles abeg!! @Op,go get some education.better still,learn the history of your forefathers.That is your first step towards redemption.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by tintingz(m): 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2013
hopeyemih: ..honestly,as a christain,i have nothing against islam...
yes2day,i posted on facebook askin my muslim friends d main reason 4 mohammed's jihad..a friend then answerd me saying "HE ONLY FOUGHT AND KILLED THOSE OPRESSING ISLAM".u see where d bottomline is..dis is where dese terrorists are deriving facts 2 back-up dier argument for killin pple nd opposing western education.in d bible,Elijah had 2 run 2 d wilderness when ahab nd jezebel was treatnin 2 kill im..he dint carry his followers 2 burn down d palace,,evn in d new testament,when Jesus was persecuted nd killed..his disciples dint revenge!,when d pharisees wer stonin dem 2 death,they fled 2 other nations! nw my question is-why shud prophet mohammed kill those opposin d spread of islam...nd how is it really a religion of peace
Lol... So what happens to the war fought by David, solomon, moses, Joshua the battle of jericho to mention the few, all in the command of Jehova in the bible.

Did they runaway or turn the other cheek? grin
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2013
SimplySEA: IF U READ D POST I QUOTED, U'D NOTICE D POSTER WAS REFERIN TO MUSLIM WOMEN PERFORMIN IN A BEAUTY PAGEANT.. TRUTH BE TOLD,THESE PEOPLE DESIRE THIS FREEDOM AND WUD RELISH A CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE.
COS OF THEIR RESTRICTIONS,THEY CREATED AN ISLAMIC PROTOTYPE! ISN'T THIS OBVIOUS?

A case of "liberal" muslims vs "conservative" muslims.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by maclatunji: 12:59pm On Sep 27, 2013
SimplySEA: IF U READ D POST I QUOTED, U'D NOTICE D POSTER WAS REFERIN TO MUSLIM WOMEN PERFORMIN IN A BEAUTY PAGEANT.. TRUTH BE TOLD,THESE PEOPLE DESIRE THIS FREEDOM AND WUD RELISH A CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE.

And it is not obvious to you that Muslims with understanding of Islam aren't moved or impressed by the competition?
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by maclatunji: 1:01pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

What proves that I am not a muslim?

Your being Logicboy and jumping at the mention of your name.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

And it is not obvious to you that Muslims with understanding of Islam aren't moved or impressed by the competition?

Of course, muslims like you are the "true muslims"

The others muslims that feel that they can have a decent muslim pageant where looks are not the focus (rather intelligence, religious knowledge and confidence) are not real muslims
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 1:03pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

Your jumping at the mention of your name.

?? What? Please, when you make claims, try to be honest and have evidence
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by creativemusic: 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2013
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by ITbomb(m): 1:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
To avoid being banned, I must ensure that my post is not offensive to any religion. So help me God
To hate something just because it is western is plain primitive.
I am a very open minded and liberal person. I studied the ideals and values of many societies to understand how they came to where they are and what I could emulate from them.
I see in the West, Democracy and respect for another person's human right irrespective of where he is from. Where a German can raise to be a governor and a Kenyan can be the president
I see in China where modesty and honour and a determination to progress can propel millions to greatness.
Islam need to prove to the world that its identity is not about killing, they worship the Merciful Allah and tagged themselves as a Religion of Peace BUT are disturbingly silent when extremist in their midst carry out terrorism and killings in the name of the same religion of peace.
Even though we agree that most acts of wickedness like Shekau's Boko Haram are done by radicalised derailed Islamist, the mainstay Islamist holds the responsibility of speaking against such extremists in Islam. After all even Christians speak out, prosecute and jail extreme fanatics among them.
I read about Muslims comparing the scourge of Northern underage marriage to Southern girl being sent to Italy.
Yes, the Christian girls are being sent to Italy but when they are caught, their facilitators are treated as criminals (Christian or not). But for the underage girls, the facilitators are not held responsible after destroying these girls' future and later divorcing them without proper education or skills or trade to survive

4 Likes

Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by olavictors(m): 1:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
If truly this is www.nairaland.com, then I have to re appraise my membership of the forum. Fine nobody forced me to come here. This nairaland is becoming a terrorist website.

1 Like

Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by tintingz(m): 1:11pm On Sep 27, 2013
See how NL peeps are worshiping the west and defending their practice as if anything about the western world is true and final way of life and later they will say muslims are arab slaves undecided who are the western slaves now? **smh**
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Kairoseki77: 1:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mac, I created the thread about Abdul.

https://www.nairaland.com/1456199/abdul-haji-international-hero-after#18399120

Send it to Seun/Mukina so it can be on FP.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2013
why is every attempt at maturity and understanding especially in the politics and religious section devolve into banal rants and idiotic comments ..
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Owobobrown(m): 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2013
funny folks
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by sCun: 2:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
Kairoseki77: Mac, I created the thread about Abdul.

https://www.nairaland.com/1456199/abdul-haji-international-hero-after#18399120

Send it to Seun/Mukina so it can be on FP.
Terrorist propaganda. No amount of front page topics can change people's thoughts about you guys, not when people are continually being killed in the name of your religion.

2 Likes

Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by SimplySEA(m): 2:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

YEA... dat means half of d muslim world does not understand islam, cos d audience and those dat applauded were mainly muslims not to speak of d judges and d sponsors.... i jus laughed at the tot of women in hijab catwalking.
truth is ur women are simply "free prisoners" tryin to create even a "pseudo-freedom" for themselves! sincerely, i pity their plight
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by bookface: 2:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
tintingz: See how NL peeps are worshiping the west and defending their practice as if anything about the western world is true and final way of life and later they will say muslims are arab slaves undecided who are the western slaves now? **smh**

What is being touted as "western practise" is nothing but the basic concept of freedom!

Human's should be free to choose who they wish to be, marry, how they wish to live, what/who they wish to worship, or the food they wish to eat!

This same "western practice" allows you to make the choice between being a Religious Fanatic, an atheist or somewhere between!

Anyone that opposes these basic principles of freedom is nothing but a slave!

1 Like

Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Dinzelflash(m): 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
beware of d writer,he is an extremist..tryin to convert true Muslims to his act
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by MrCritique: 2:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
First of, I wish i would talk to this man face to face, i would use a public address system and scream this words in his ears "wake up man there are things you can fight". For starters, you seem to speak like one who is totally free from Western influence, but i bet, if I venture into your life thoroughly, i would find traces of the same disease you're trying to cure. How can you fight change? Oh! i reckon you would only accept change in pop culture only if it has Islamic carriage. Besides, can you pls point to one system in history that has span over 5 centuries and survived the wind of change? If you lambast the domination of English language (WEST), isn't that as a result of the liberalization in it culture and social life style? Can't you also liberalize your own culture and thus propagate your religion? If you remain strict and heavy handed things are just gonna stagnate and die out naturally from your belief, due to time.

Finally, if by 'West' you mean America and other nations founded upon Christian principles. The question thus is: IS THE ORIGIN OF YOUR RELIGION WESTERN( assuming you are African)? why then do you subscribe to one the products of WESTERNIZATION? Why not subscribe to one the gods of your forefathers and be truly 'West' free. If your criticize the West for everything bad and you still subscribe to an "imported" religion then you are still part of the disease. Peace

P.S: what stunt were you trying to pull quoting the gospel of Mark?
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by Nairatalks: 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mr Critique: First of, I wish i would talk to this man face to face, i would use a public address system and scream this words in his ears "wake up man there are things you can fight". For starters, you seem to speak like one who is totally free from Western influence, but i bet, if I venture into your life thoroughly, i would find traces of the same disease you're trying to cure. How can you fight change? Oh! i reckon you would only accept change in pop culture only if it has Islamic carriage. Besides, can you pls point to one system in history that has span over 5 centuries and survived the wind of change? If you lambast the domination of English language (WEST), isn't that as a result of the liberalization in it culture and social life style? Can't you also liberalize your own culture and thus propagate your religion? If you remain strict and heavy handed things are just gonna stagnate and die out naturally from your belief, due to time.

Finally, if by 'West' you mean America and other nations founded upon Christian principles. The question thus is: IS THE ORIGIN OF YOUR RELIGION WESTERN( assuming you are African)? why then do you subscribe to one the products of WESTERNIZATION? Why not subscribe to one the gods of your forefathers and be truly 'West' free. If your criticize the West for everything bad and you still subscribe to an "imported" religion then you are still part of the disease. Peace

P.S: what stunt were you trying to pull quoting the gospel of Mark?

The author lives in the UK. He is a hypocrite
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by MrCritique: 2:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
[quote author=Nairatalks]

The author lives in the UK. He is a hypocrite

How do you know is a hypocrite? isn't radicalism a trait of a 'good' Muslim?
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by maclatunji: 2:59pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

?? What? Please, when you make claims, try to be honest and have evidence

It reflects in your posts and obsession with Richard Dawkins and Atheism. Your threads already manifest it.

You cannot discuss Islamic teachings on pratice of religion because you don't.
Re: Between Western Ideals And Islamic Identity by tdade(m): 3:04pm On Sep 27, 2013
tintingz: Lol... So what happens to the war fought by David, solomon, moses, Joshua the battle of jericho to mention the few, all in the command of Jehova in the bible.

Did they runaway or turn the other cheek? grin
Christianity started from Mathew because that's when Christ was born. The old testament is mainly about the Israelites.

Honestly, I've seen muslims who are quite liberal, and now I'm starting to consider them as fake muslims. Why? Well because even in Nigeria, you have some of them pointing to the lifestyle of Mohamed to justify BH's antics.

The problem with Islam is that it leaves no room for modernization. Islam came to Nigeria through jihad, and spread through the mid east and north Africa through Jihad. Let's face it: there is NO such thing as 'peaceful' jihad. My question is: if they point to Mohamed as a role model, doesn't that make the terrorists justified over the 'liberal muslims?'

The fact that they consider democracy, feminism, human rights, etc to be synonymous with being western already creates an us-versus-them feeling in the Islam community, and that's why you have the OP posting something as callous and ludicrous as this at this sensitive period.

You're not allowed democracy, wives are like servants to their husbands amongst other things....

PS: I am not trying to compare Islam to Christianity as the first paragraph might imply. Simply just replying - and educating - the lad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Islam Prohibit Smoking Or Selling Drugs? And Drinking Or Selling Alcohol? I / Why I Am Not A Muslim / Five Types Of Fear Of The Believer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.