Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,287 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? (9762 Views)

Photos! If You Attended This Traditional Marriage What Would You Have Done. / Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 3:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
Phder: You don't have to be sorry, and No, she was in her late 20's .

The catch is, they're both highly educated, leaving it to her, she wouldn't want us to pay that ridiculous bill. But as you must have known that it's beyond her control, so they shared the bill between each other.

Personally, I think my uncle is a honest man, and if I ever find myself in the same situation, I would do the same thing.

stop talking trash, about share...lmao

anybody dat believes dis fool is having the joke of the century. Any girl worth marrying have multiple suitors particularly igbo girls.

The fact remains that if u can't meet the bride price, somebody else will.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by veave(f): 6:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
at least from this thread we now know who paid bride price, who didnt pay bride price, who's bride price was paid and who's bride price wsnt pay.

mine would be paid. wether its expensive or not... even if its masa and kunu we share that day, my bride price would be paid.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
waternogetenemy:

stop talking trash, about share...lmao

anybody dat believes dis fool is having the joke of the century. Any girl worth marrying have multiple suitors particularly igbo girls.

The fact remains that if u can't meet the bride price, somebody else will.
Are you with your senses? or you choose not to make use of it?? I never said she does not worth it. I don't even know why am replying you.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 12:21am On Oct 23, 2013
Phder:
Are you with your senses? or you choose not to make use of it?? I never said she does not worth it. I don't even know why am replying you.
U are replying becos ur lies have been exposed, stop misleading people and talk with ur senses.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 12:41am On Oct 23, 2013
waternogetenemy: U are replying becos ur lies have been exposed, stop misleading people and talk with ur senses.
Lies? Misleading? Are you sure, you're quoting the right person?... OMG!!!!, just get the fck off and stop pissing me off, scumbag*
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 23, 2013
waternogetenemy: U are replying becos ur lies have been exposed, stop misleading people and talk with ur senses.
Went through your profile and I discovered that you're a low life, delusioned, zero self esteem psycopath being. You have no reasonable contribution on here other than hating. You're always ready to ignite a tribal war, mostly abusing Yoruba's and saying silly stuffs about other people's Origin. Nigeria needs to get rid of low level thinkers like you so as to move forward.

People like you don't end up doing well, wherever you find yourself. Twas indeed a waste of time replying your previous quote directed towards my handle.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 2:49am On Oct 23, 2013
I am IGBO. My parents always say they want nothing for me from the groom except that the man should ''BUY ME A HOUSE", which will be my and his kids asset/ inheritance. They say rice and all the things on the list add no value to me, as I have been eating rice since birth. angry angry

They say
The house should under no circumstances form part of assets to be divided should a divorce prove to be inevitable.
The house should under no circumstances form part of his will or any inheritance should he die. sad sad sad

My parents reasons are,
1) When things don't work out in my marriage, they don't want to see me back in their house with my husbands kids.
2) In case when my husband dies, they also need to be sure that me and my kids shelter is provided, in case my husbands family proves to be greedy by taking all we had. ( as we all know how in-laws in Naija can be greedy and wicked to the widows )

Though my partner is Igbo, I have never said anything to him with regards to possible demands. undecided undecided

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 6:44am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA: I am IGBO. My parents always say they want nothing for me from the groom except that the man should ''BUY ME A HOUSE", which will be my and his kids asset/ inheritance. They say rice and all the things on the list add no value to me, as I have been eating rice since birth. angry angry

They say
The house should under no circumstances form part of assets to be divided should a divorce prove to be inevitable.
The house should under no circumstances form part of his will or any inheritance should he die. sad sad sad

My parents reasons are,
1) When things don't work out in my marriage, they don't want to see me back in their house with my husbands kids.
2) In case when my husband dies, they also need to be sure that me and my kids shelter is provided, in case my husbands family proves to be greedy by taking all we had. ( as we all know how in-laws in Naija can be greedy and wicked to the widows )

Though my partner is Igbo, I have never said anything to him with regards to possible demands. undecided undecided

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK? undecided undecided undecided

No my dear, it is not too much of an ask. Dat man [size=18pt]Phder[/size] from ekiti wants to eat ofe owerri with empty hand. Women are finished in yoruba land. onye na ejigi ego oga eri ofe owerri?

Yoruba boy have no business in igbo culture thread, we shall educate u on our culture. comprende...
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 6:55am On Oct 23, 2013
waternogetenemy:

No my dear, it is not too much of an ask. Dat man [size=18pt]Phder[/size] from ekiti wants to eat ofe owerri with empty hand. Women are finished in yoruba land. onye na ejigi ego oga eri ofe owerri?

Yoruba boy have no business in igbo culture thread, we shall educate u on our culture. comprende...

grin grin grin grin @ Phder. I found it hard to believe his story as well.

Thanks, Just when I have been thinking it may be unreasonable cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 7:11am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA:

Thanks, Just when I have been thinking it may be unreasonable cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nne, It is the duty of every husband to provide a shelter for his wife and children. The essence of marriage itself is security and stability for the everybody involved particularly the wife and children. Nothing unreasonable about that.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA:

I have no obligation in responding to this, but I will take the pain to do so.

Right from the beginning, it has always been the man's responsibility to cater for his family, the purpose of the wife is to assist (If she is able) and support her husband in making decisions and bringing up the kids.

With that established, it will be a good idea to go over my previous contribution and read them so as to understand what I am driving at; I cited an example of my Uncle and his wife (fruitful marriage and they're doing well). I mentioned that she had to share the dowry and other important stuffs with him, NOT BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WORTH IT (infact she worth more) but because she understands and saw issue from my uncle's perspective. He just started working then after dedicating about 7years to tertiary education, likewise the wife too. I believe her family don't know about the sharing of the dowry payment thing, and I can say it over and over again that she has no regret whatsoever in the decision she made.

About your future husband "buying you a house" it's a good thing if he can afford it (take note that not all men can afford this), I hope you get to meet the ones that can afford all that. The most important thing that you should know is that; Money and assets is not what marriage entails; when you marry the right man, houses, car, e.t.c comes with the package.

Back to my uncle; they've been married for over three years now and they're doing well, have their own house and two good cars.

@Waternogetenemy. BTW am not from Ekiti, infact I've been there just once in my entire life.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by zannie(f): 8:05am On Oct 23, 2013
U people must shaa bring tribalism into everything. Are u guys not tired of this BS?
If u don't understand d culture, then forget it. Its as simple as that. There are many places in Naija where you don't pay a dime. You can as well go there. Its not by force to pay bride price.
Nobody is even talking about 'idu uno', where the parents of the bride do something akin to a 'send off' for the bride. Sometimes what the new couple get from this idu uno is way more than the bride price paid.
Please if u don't understand a people's way of life, its ok. But at least respect it. There are 250 ethnic groups in this country, each with its own vast customs. We should learn to respect people in this country
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by nbright: 8:31am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA: in case my husbands family proves to be greedy by taking all we had. ( as we all know how in-laws in Naija can be greedy and wicked to the widows )
In my place, when a husband dies even without a will, everything falls to his wife (if his 1st son is still a kid) unless stipulated otherwise in the will... So don't you generalise that all in-laws rush to acquire their brothers wealth after his demise... Go to Benin... Many of the landladies inherited the properties from their late husband's
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 8:38am On Oct 23, 2013
nbright: In my place, when a husband dies even without a will, everything falls to his wife (if his 1st son is still a kid) unless stipulated otherwise in the will... So don't you generalise that all in-laws rush to acquire their brothers wealth after his demise... Go to Benin... Many of the landladies inherited the properties from their late husband's

Not sure why you allowing your Blood pressure to go up cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

If you go up my thread again and thoroughly read English, I said its my parents take on the matter. Probably they have seen alot of things happening thereby wanting to protect me. smh

Are you hungry perhaps? cheesy cheesy cheesy Grab something to eat. grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 8:38am On Oct 23, 2013
zannie: U people must shaa bring tribalism into everything. Are u guys not tired of this BS?
If u don't understand d culture, then forget it. Its as simple as that. There are many places in Naija where you don't pay a dime. You can as well go there. Its not by force to pay bride price.
Nobody is even talking about 'idu uno', where the parents of the bride do something akin to a 'send off' for the bride. Sometimes what the new couple get from this idu uno is way more than the bride price paid.
Please if u don't understand a people's way of life, its ok. But at least respect it. There are 250 ethnic groups in this country, each with its own vast customs. We should learn to respect people in this country

Ma sister thank you oooo. I could not have put it better myself.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 8:40am On Oct 23, 2013
waternogetenemy:

Nne, It is the duty of every husband to provide a shelter for his wife and children. The essence of marriage itself is security and stability for the everybody involved particularly the wife and children. Nothing unreasonable about that.

Thanks, I never heard of it to be part of the bride price, thats why I was worried. wink wink
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 8:43am On Oct 23, 2013
Phder:

I have no obligation in responding to this, but I will take the pain to do so.

Right from the beginning, it has always been the man's responsibility to cater for his family, the purpose of the wife is to assist (If she is able) and support her husband in making decisions and bringing up the kids.

About your future husband "buying you a house" it's a good thing if he can afford it (take note that not all men can afford this), I hope you get to meet the ones that can afford all that. The most important thing that you should know is that; Money and assets is not what marriage entails; when you marry the right man, houses, car, e.t.c comes with the package.

Say that again. I believe he has the means, the willingness may be the question? smiley smiley smiley
Thanks though.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 8:45am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA:

Thanks, I never heard of it to be part of the bride price, thats why I was worried. wink wink
It is a proposal to the inlaw, it can be made.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by nbright: 8:47am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA:

Not sure why you allowing your Blood pressure to go up cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

If you go up my thread again and thoroughly read English, I said its my parents take on the matter. Probably they have seen alot of things happening thereby wanting to protect me. smh

Are you hungry perhaps? cheesy cheesy cheesy Grab something to eat. grin grin grin
Re read your post again... And what has my post got to do with hungry?..
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 8:50am On Oct 23, 2013
nbright: Re read your post again... And what has my post got to do with hungry?..

Hmmmmm, I give up. cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 23, 2013
Heeheee I can see so many guyz are scared already cheesy. The truth is not all guyz who marry igbo or imo girls pay a dime I have seen first case instances.

Itz part of our traditional rite that cannot be eradicated but it is not also do or die afair for some. So all you guyz saying no wonder igbo girls stay unmarried till 35 coz of her bride price, are wrong except ofcoz she comes from a background where traditional rites are taken too seriously
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 23, 2013
chineloSA:

Say that again. I believe he has the means, the willingness may be the question? smiley smiley smiley
Thanks though.

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by zannie(f): 9:31am On Oct 23, 2013
Its even very funny because not every place in Igbo land does this. I'm from Anambra state and in my place, we take a tiny bit of the whole. This is usually the norm in Anambra and Enugu. There may be exceptions. Usually, the grooms people present a certain amount and the bride's father 'dips' his hand and collects a single note from the bundle, and gives them the rest. It may be #200, #500, #1000, depending on what they present. Every other tin required from the groom on the infamous list is usually around 50k. That's in my own area shaa, because we believe a woman is priceless and there is no amount that would be enough for her head so there's no use asking you for money.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by godello: 10:59am On Oct 23, 2013
waternogetenemy:

Try to understand her! She said her parents makes building an apartment for her as an alternative to the conventional items of bride price like yam,wrapper,oil etc. And NOTE: This house would not be the husbands house rather it would be hers. Reason she say,is because if anything happen to the marriage she could pack to the house instead of returning to her parents house. And you don't see anything wrong abt that?
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 11:05am On Oct 23, 2013
@ godello, make me understand
Would appreciate different views.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by sharon747(f): 3:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
It depends on villages, it is not all villages in igbo land that behaves like that. Some villages might do it depending on the level of education of the girl.
But that is not the best way to marry, the list is meant to be easy for both family's, but if the grooms family fill they want it in a bigger way,they can do it in a bigger way. Marriage is to join both family's together so that they become one and be happy.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 10:46am On Oct 24, 2013
nbright: In my place, when a husband dies even without a will, everything falls to his wife (if his 1st son is still a kid) unless stipulated otherwise in the will... So don't you generalise that all in-laws rush to acquire their brothers wealth after his demise... Go to Benin... Many of the landladies inherited the properties from their late husband's

https://www.nairaland.com/1490600/ojukwus-family-asks-bianca-proof

Am sorry to go back to the topic that we already closed. Just wanted to show you an example of what happens to widows in Naija. Not limited to this. Read the story on the link. You may have been following the story.

So I understand my parents take on the matter. angry angry angry angry I do not think my parents are generalizing, but they are trying to be objective and practical looking at million possibilities.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by passionate88: 11:50am On Oct 24, 2013
chineloSA:

https://www.nairaland.com/1490600/ojukwus-family-asks-bianca-proof

Am sorry to go back to the topic that we already closed. Just wanted to show you an example of what happens to widows in Naija. Not limited to this. Read the story on the link. You may have been following the story.

So I understand my parents take on the matter. angry angry angry angry I do not think my parents are generalizing, but they are trying to be objective and practical looking at million possibilities.

Na Igbo something. E no fit happen for ijaw, or urhobo, or tiv or idoma, etc. That tradition na Igbo e dey happen. Even those Police men wey die for Nasarrawa state, some of the widows from the east complained that their in-laws collected the money paid as compensation. This practice is pre dominant in d east

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by nbright: 12:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
passionate88: Na Igbo something. E no fit happen for ijaw, or urhobo, or tiv or idoma, etc. That tradition na Igbo e dey happen. Even those Police men wey die for Nasarrawa state, some of the widows from the east complained that their in-laws collected the money paid as compensation. This practice is pre dominant in d east
Thank you... My friend lost his dad last year, the dad's siblings never disturbed them for any property.. They only asked that they bury their brother according to their tradition... This habit of harrassing a widow and her children because of her husband's properties is mainly practiced in the Igbo tradition...
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 12:10pm On Oct 24, 2013
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by chineloSA(f): 12:10pm On Oct 24, 2013
Well, I am Igbo na. My parents originating from Anambra, Ogidi. My partner is from the East as well. That makes me not immune.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Ladies On Bikini / +18: NAUGHTY: How To Innocently Start A Naughty Chat With A Woman [Picture] / (pic) What Girls Think Guys Like, What Guys Actually Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.