Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,058 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? (45882 Views)

#fitnessgoals: This 8 Month Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights Will Surely Amaze You / In Kaduna, Lassa Fever Kills Nurse, Pregnant Woman / What Drug Can A Pregnant Woman Feeling Malaria Take ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Tyche(m): 11:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by anitank(f): 11:48pm On Sep 21, 2013
No matter how used to weight lifting she is, it is not safe for her to do so with an eight month old pregnancy
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by ThaProphet(m): 12:11am On Sep 22, 2013
Pregnancy is not an illness. It is funny and annoying when women all of a sudden "act" ill when they are pregnant and stop doing what they used to do. Most times, they relax while their husbands do everything for them while they just sit around and get fat.

If you sit around and stop being active cos you're pregnant, it is possible you have more complications while giving birth. Your muscles have been in relax mode for 7 months straight, no exercise or nothing. That cannot be healthy.

Secondly, by the time you give birth, you will be uglier. All the fat will get into your face, legs, arms, neck, fingers and most importantly, your belly. You will end up looking like Papa Ajasco. Then you will complain when your husband does not find you sexy anymore.

You've got to be active while pregnant. I know of at least 2 women who continued their normal lifestyle during pregnancy. One who did not take her maternity leave until 8 months into the pregnancy. The result: healthy women, safe delivery and healthy babies.

This case however, I find a bit extreme but being a crossfit member (these guys don't play), I am sure she is more than used to it. Who knows? Maybe she used to lift heavier weights before. As long as she is not unusually (doing things she's not used to doing) stressing herself, she should be safe. Not sure about 2 weeks to delivery though but I guess she knows better being a mother of 2 already.

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by deebrain(m): 12:30am On Sep 22, 2013
coogar: pregnancy is not illness.
if she's used to this kind of exercises before her pregnancy then her body would just be fine. exercise is safe for both mother & the fetus. i'd rather this woman than the fat layabouts who do nothing but spit in a container they carry with them all the time.

U have said it all. God bless u.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by deebrain(m): 12:37am On Sep 22, 2013
anitank: No matter how used to weight lifting she is, it is not safe for her to do so with an eight month old pregnancy

Are u speaking from a health angle or fear of how dangerous the picture looks like? I work with some pregnant women on fitness programs via directions from their doctors. With proper guidance from their trainers, they do just fine. I wish women know they have so much (ENDURANCE) in them than the men folk.

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by deebrain(m): 12:39am On Sep 22, 2013
ThaProphet: Pregnancy is not an illness. It is funny and annoying when women all of a sudden "act" ill when they are pregnant and stop doing what they used to do. Most times, they relax while their husbands do everything for them while they just sit around and get fat.

If you sit around and stop being active cos you're pregnant, it is possible you have more complications while giving birth. Your muscles have been in relax mode for 7 months straight, no exercise or nothing. That cannot be healthy.

Secondly, by the time you give birth, you will be uglier. All the fat will get into your face, legs, arms, neck, fingers and most importantly, your belly. You will end up looking like Papa Ajasco. Then you will complain when your husband does not find you sexy anymore.

You've got to be active while pregnant. I know of at least 2 women who continued their normal lifestyle during pregnancy. One who did not take her maternity leave until 8 months into the pregnancy. The result: healthy women, safe delivery and healthy babies.

This case however, I find a bit extreme but being a crossfit member (these guys don't play), I am sure she is more than used to it. Who knows? Maybe she used to lift heavier weights before. As long as she is not unusually (doing things she's not used to doing) stressing herself, she should be safe. Not sure about 2 weeks to delivery though but I guess she knows better being a mother of 2 already.

Nice! More blessings.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by prettimoi(f): 12:58am On Sep 22, 2013
Nobody said pregnancy is a disease. People react to pregnancy differently just like someone said. As for all the children spewing rubbish on this thread i pity the women in your lives, make sure u send them to lift weight while pregnant or better still send them to the village so they can farm,fetch firewood and water for your mothers.Nonsense.

6 Likes

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:05am On Sep 22, 2013
The woman had been lifting weights before she got pregnant so its perfectly safe. The worst thing that could happen is that it'll induce labour, but she's 2 weeks to term so no big deal if the baby comes out a little early.

Besides, look at the tiny weights she's carrying. Looks like 45kg total, at most. Even her unborn baby could probably lift that.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by AhWetin(m): 2:38am On Sep 22, 2013
ThaProphet: Pregnancy is not an illness. It is funny and annoying [b]when women all of a sudden "act" ill [/b]when they are pregnant and stop doing what they used to do. Most times, they relax while their husbands do everything for them while they just sit around and get fat.

Are you a woman? Have you ever been pregnant?

5 Likes

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by dexterinc2003: 3:01am On Sep 22, 2013
Nice...
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Doa672ug: 3:53am On Sep 22, 2013

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Nobody: 4:07am On Sep 22, 2013
Her skin is flawless. Nice.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by macdelene(m): 4:40am On Sep 22, 2013
claremont: Black women seriously need to embrace crossfit and get rid of the stereotype of being angry, fat layabouts.
come pls just get married to a white so that even ur new born baby will be liftin up weight in his crib

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Jayuba(m): 5:51am On Sep 22, 2013
She is prepearing the future of her baby before he os she arive.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Sike(m): 6:28am On Sep 22, 2013
Good for her buy not the baby.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by frainc(m): 6:53am On Sep 22, 2013
mac-delene:
shocked Blood of Jesus d woman get mind
Most you call the blood of jesus for everything or are you a vampire?

no finish am sha o

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by damiso(f): 7:09am On Sep 22, 2013
ThaProphet: Pregnancy is not an illness. It is funny and annoying when women all of a sudden "act" ill when they are pregnant and stop doing what they used to do. Most times, they relax while their husbands do everything for them while they just sit around and get fat.

"Act ill' SMH undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided.I know for sure if men were the one who carried babies, the earth's population would have declined by now tongue tongue

No one is saying dont exercise while pregnant in short its very highly recommended as it not only helps you keep fit it makes it easy for you to endure labour.The point is some women are too ill to exercise. Am too lazy to google the name of the condition but if some women are not on bed rest its likely they lose the baby.There are sooo many health complications that arise from pregnancy eg i for one had never had low blood pressure in my life, pre eclampsia(very deadly women DIE from this you know).So pls women dont 'act ill', sometimes they really are.

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by nrsy: 7:32am On Sep 22, 2013
Well I think it all depends on both partners, exercise ΐƨ good during pregnancy buh weightlifting a big ŊƠ̴̴͡ ŊƠ̴̴͡.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Betolis(f): 7:41am On Sep 22, 2013
miscarriage hardly occurs wen d prenancy is above 4months. d worst is dt she wil give birth a little earlier b4 due date......
itsnotin: shey d pickin no go commot like dis
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by MrPatoh: 7:47am On Sep 22, 2013
In a came to voice my thoughts on this matter rather than be the judge of whatever might happen to the unborn being "There are certain forms of exercise that can be healthy and her physical instructor might have thought her how to go about it...Her single weight-lift happen to be one".
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by kenjudy(m): 8:31am On Sep 22, 2013
Taa!!! She just dey pose for those pishoor joor. But I like her bodi ooo! She just resemble my future wifey. grin
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Xanther: 8:43am On Sep 22, 2013
abeg make dem put a name fo giness book of wold recod bcas she don break wold recod
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by salt1: 8:46am On Sep 22, 2013
coogar: pregnancy is not illness.
if she's used to this kind of exercises before her pregnancy then her body would just be fine. exercise is safe for both mother & the fetus. i'd rather this woman than the fat layabouts who do nothing but spit in a container they carry with them all the time.

This your comment is so puerile and aggravating! As if those pregnant women, for whom the pregnancy is a matter of life and death, chose to be sick and nauseous.
Go and check the infant and maternal mortality rate where she is and compare with your own country. She can afford to do this because there's a medical support team that can handle any emergency her foolishness can cause.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by ThaProphet(m): 8:48am On Sep 22, 2013
damiso:

"Act ill' SMH undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided.I know for sure if men were the one who carried babies, the earth's population would have declined by now tongue tongue

No one is saying dont exercise while pregnant in short its very highly recommended as it not only helps you keep fit it makes it easy for you to endure labour.The point is some women are too ill to exercise. Am too lazy to google the name of the condition but if some women are not on bed rest its likely they lose the baby.There are sooo many health complications that arise from pregnancy eg i for one had never had low blood pressure in my life, pre eclampsia(very deadly women DIE from this you know).So pls women dont 'act ill', sometimes they really are.

okay. My bad. Maybe it seemed I generalized. Perhaps, I should be a bit clearer. Of course some are indeed ill and I can appreciate your experience. However, I was talking about those acting. If you've been diagnosed with a pregnancy related illness and advised not to exercise, by all means, you shouldn't.

You're funny. Don't underestimate men lol. You're probably right about men and pregnancy. Our anatomy is not favourable, we don't have hips designed for child birth. Definately, there will be less successful child births if men were get pregnant and go through labour.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Chinwem(f): 8:58am On Sep 22, 2013
If this is what her body was used to before pregnancy then she can go ahead

This is not for everybody though but I agree that moderate exercise during pregnancy is a good thing

However, Excessive straining + weight lifting= uterine prolapse in my view.

Somebody mentioned pregnant women 'act ill' ....... I don't know about acting ill. If a woman is pregnant and they have a complaint would you ignore it? For the nine months that they are carrying YOUR child better take them seriously.

Pregnancy is not supposed to be a disease but women have actually died. Sometimes the placenta is low lying or even detaches from the womb with the baby still inside. She can bleed frofusely so this means the woman is on strict bed rest for most of the pregnancy. I guess this is another lazy cow. Lupus flares up when women are pregnant and this is actually how.some women found out they have it. It's an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself and when you bring another foreign antigen on board (YOUR BABY) the disease shows itself. But then I guess it's just a lazy cow of a woman acting ill.

I cant say i m shocked at some people's attitude to pregnancy, after all this is Nairaland but I am hopeful they ll be bachelors for life and spare female folk and indeed Nigerias Maternal Mortality Ratio, their extreme disdain for cyesis

5 Likes

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by anitank(f): 10:31am On Sep 22, 2013
deebrain:

Are u speaking from a health angle or fear of how dangerous the picture looks like? I work with some pregnant women on fitness programs via directions from their doctors. With proper guidance from their trainers, they do just fine. I wish women know they have so much (ENDURANCE) in them than the men folk.
I don't care what ur opinion is. When I was pregnant, I did lots of exercises and was very active and fit.

Carrying such heavy metal however and squatting like that might induce serious labour, and if the baby is breach in which some cases they are at eight months, it might be forced to come out the wrong way causing serious complications for both the mother and baby. We are not talking about a bucket of water for crying out loud. Why do u think most pregnant women are advised not to wear sky high heels at their third trimester even though they are used to it? It's a very delicate period for both mother and Child and should be treated as one. She can always go back to lifting houses and trucks when she has put to bed

3 Likes

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by anitank(f): 10:34am On Sep 22, 2013
Thank you Chinwe for mentioning Prolapse. How did I even forget that?

Atleast some real sensible people are still here....phew!

1 Like

Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 22, 2013
Uplay08: .
Before checking this person's profile I knew he/she was a learner.
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by mercurie(f): 4:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
Bolushalom: Have you seen Kaffy Dance with her pregnancy? Its quite amazing

Dancing and weightlifting are two different things my dear
Re: A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? by tinalahot(f): 5:25pm On Sep 22, 2013
ganase2: @ funnicator, with name like ursn didn't know u plan to marry sha
u are right my dear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Taking A Bold Step To Know If I Have Kidney Disease Or Something Else / Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? / Soweto Gay Teen Commits Suicide After Teacher Calls Him "Sissy Boy" (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.