Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Ladies' Hair In Church - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ladies' Hair In Church (4075 Views)

Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / The 10 Most AWKWARD Moments In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2006
@donnie,

Good point, but the confusion that many people arrive at with that verse you
quoted is only a matter of ignoring the preceding verses.

Question: what happens to women who don't have long hair; and how "long"
is long hair?

Besides, what happens to the men - how do you explain the verse that says -

"For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image
and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man
" (verse 7).

If the 'hair' (long or short) is the material for 'covering', then the men should
indeed not be covered - translation: barber gori-makpa kia-kia! There's just
no two ways about this - whenever we look at the issue, let's remember that
the men too are spoken of as well.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Ddii(f): 3:21pm On Jun 21, 2006
1 cor 11: 15 clearly answers the question.
there is no need to think twice about it.
the information there is precise; there's no confusion with GOD'S WORD.
it is very direct.

those who cover their hair simply feel like it.
ladies, there's no need to worry. GOD has already taken care it.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by donnie(m): 4:00pm On Jun 21, 2006
Gwaine:

Okay, I hear you. Question: so what happens when someone who does not
cover head goes to church with their mind filled with evil - does that matter?

I'm amused with the view that some things "don't matter" when they are as
clearly stated in God's Word in black and white. If they never mattered, can
someone please explain why the inspired apostle dealt with the issue in his
epistle to the Corinthians? So, he probably must have been joking to ask in
verse 13 of that chapter -

"Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?"

Or, what was he all about when earlier he said -

"For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame
for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."
[verse 6].

If one doesn't matter (covering or not covering the head), then other should
not matter (a mind filled with evil). If the latter matters, then the former does
as well. QED.

What Paul was dealing with in those verses wasnt as much hair covering as it was Submission to authority.

He said the woman must cover her head because of the angels. Because angels respond to us as we respond to authority. If you are not submitted to authority, you cannot have angels function on your behalf. You cannot command them. You cannot cast out devils cause you do not understand authority yourself. You have broken spirituals laws.

So its about submission in the house of God without which The Spirit cannot freely move among us.

The husband submitted to God and the wife submitted to her husband even as she is submitted to God.

Tell me. what if you were a lady in a vehicle and the car was about to fall off a bridge. Will ou go to you bag and begin to searc for something to put on Your head before you call the name of Jesus of before you prophesy.

What about some of us who wake up from sleep speaking in tongues, what if we had to get up sluggishly from bed to get a cloth to put on our heads before we prophesy blessings into our day? What a weight! The Holy Ghost dwells within us and not on top of our heads.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Ddii(f): 4:21pm On Jun 21, 2006
i mean that those who cover their hair with hats; head ties; etc just do it bcoz they feel like it
our long hair has been given to us as covering to our heads
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by ldollier(f): 2:50am On Jun 22, 2006
i really hate it when people start arguin over religion. i mean what do you all want to gain from this. are you trying to persuade another person to change their religion?. all this rubbishness yall are arguin for is really not worth it.

believe what you want to believe!!!
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 6:13am On Jun 22, 2006
@donnie,

Now you come to the main point of this discussion - and that's something I had
hoped you'd realise. How does one show submission to authority if there's no
concern for what God says about His stipulations for what goes on in church?

And the questions you asked about the lady in a vehicle falling off the bridge
(I just seriously hope that you're not hoping it happens): it's really immature to
even think of it - the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 11 deals with the activities
in church, not with someone falling off a bridge! Here's an illustration to buttress
the idea of the circumstances you suggested:

Most of our churches today praise God with musical instruments in church - and
I don't have any problems with that. But what happens when people have no
access to musical instruments, can't they praise God and rejoice in sweet and
beautiful melodies in worship to Him as Paul and Silas did in the Philippian jail
in Acts 16:25? So also: when someone is in a dire situation, I believe their cry
or prayers to God will be answered without waiting to grab a scarf - but when
in church, there should be no excuses for acting as if one was falling off a bridge
by ignoring what God's Word teaches in 1 Corinthians 11:1-16.

So, in church the inspired apostle made clear that this matter of submission to
authority is for both men and women to comply with by way of submitting
to what God has said about our hair and head: men ought not to cover; and women
are indeed to cover. The Bible never supposes that the Holy Ghost dwells on our
heads, so your last line shouldn't have been so hysterical.

@Ddii,

I'm sorry to disagree with you about those who use headdress in church activities.
They don't do so "just because they feel like it" - they know what they are doing
as 1 Corinthians 11 says. Most of our liberal churches tolerate a whole lot of stuff
that we simply just let them get away with issues because we're not even taking
the time to read the Scriptures.

Good to know that long hair has been given to ladies for a covering. So what then
happens to women who don't have "long" hair, or how "long" is long? The problem
with this type of reasoning is that the previous verses are ignored and then verse
15 just seems to be all too comfy for people who are persuaded to allow just
about anything in church. If we take that view, then there should be no problem
with men wearing long hair - and believe me, I've seen lots of men wearing such
and going about as 'ministers'; it even gets worse, for it was not too long ago that
I saw another 'minister' with long hair and an earring on just one ear!

On the other hand, besides the time-honoured tradition of pratices in church these
days, why then do people have a concern that men take off their hats and caps in
prayer or in church? I don't think the apostle was actually focusing on just one side
of the issue, for many times we often fail to see that this passage of Scripture is
concerned about men as well. So, if hair is the covering, then for love sake our men
should visit the nearest barber, because this is what the Bible says:

"A man, in fact, should [size=13pt]not[/size] cover his head, because he is God's image and glory, but
woman is man's glory." (verse 7).

It's got nothing to do with feelings; it's got everything to do with what God says.

@Idollier,

This is not about arguing over religion - and we gain a lot from these discussions.
Anyone can believe what they want to believe, even if that means that they can
drink "the cup of devils" (I Cor. 10:21)!! I'm sorry, but I don't see how this should
pass into an argument of "rubbishness" as you call it - rather, we're sharing ideas
about this and or other subjects. It may not be to your taste, but others will find
something worthwhile to say.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 8:44am On Jun 22, 2006
I do not think God cares two nickels if women in church cover or do not cover their heads. I think that he is probably laughing to himself at this whole discussion grin grin grin

I think he will be pretty pleased if people just go to church in the first place, head covered, uncovered or in the nude!

Seeing as the Bible was written by man and not by God you can draw your own conclusions on what is right or wrong. The good book is a collection of fables and fairy stories that have been written and re-written hundreds of times over the past few thousand years. It bears no resemblance to the facts or what happened.

There are many more pressing issues that Christians should address! Whether women should cover their heads in church is up to the individual to decide. Next you will be telling us that menstruating women should not go to church grin grin grin

I find it incredibly funny how many of you search through the bible looking for passages to use against people and then go to great lengths to try and force your ridiculous doctrine on people.

Worshiping God is one thing. Trying to enslave Gods people with these idiotic and pathetic ramblings is degenerate!
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 10:24am On Jun 22, 2006
Rev.,

How many times do you have to recycle this joke that has become unspeakbly
stale? We all know that members of your kinkychurch sit in the pews in the
nude - especially black Africans - and you take the pleasure of exposing them
on the internet in the nude under the excuse of "nude baptism" to qualify them
for membership in your church club.

Look closer home - tell your dad to try not enslaving people (especially more
intelligent black people) with his warped nude baptism doctrine and the rest
of the ramblings on your website.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by onfire: 10:37pm On Jun 28, 2006
1 corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her HAIR is giving her for a COVERING.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 11:30pm On Jun 28, 2006
@ Gwaine

You are welcome to join. Maybe the size of your family jewels will embarrass you, but hey, we are all adults and we promise not to laugh!
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 7:02pm On Jul 02, 2006
@Rev.

Oh, keep guessing. When you've run out of jokes, cry out to your dad.

@onfire,

onfire:

1 corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her HAIR is giving her for a COVERING.

1 Cor. 11:6 - So if a woman doesn't cover her head, she should cut off her hair.
If it's a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, she should
cover her head.

1 Cor. 11:10 - Therefore, a woman should WEAR SOMETHING on her head to
show she is under someone's authority, out of respect FOR THE ANGELS.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 9:29am On Jul 03, 2006
1 Cor. 11:6 - So if a woman doesn't cover her head, she should cut off her hair.
If it's a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, she should
cover her head.

1 Cor. 11:10 - Therefore, a woman should WEAR SOMETHING on her head to
show she is under someone's authority, out of respect FOR THE ANGELS.

Never have I heard such rubbish from the book of fairy stories!

Bald women in church and having to show respect to the angels by covering your head grin grin grin
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2006
Nice joke your dad gave you this morning, eh? Anymore?
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 1:26pm On Jul 03, 2006
Maybe women should shave their heads and buy wigs to wear in church! Cowboys hats would look good grin grin grin
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by donnie(m): 8:20pm On Jul 06, 2006
Gwaine:

@donnie,

Now you come to the main point of this discussion - and that's something I had
hoped you'd realise. How does one show submission to authority if there's no
concern for what God says about His stipulations for what goes on in church?

And the questions you asked about the lady in a vehicle falling off the bridge
(I just seriously hope that you're not hoping it happens): it's really immature to
even think of it - the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 11 deals with the activities
in church, not with someone falling off a bridge! Here's an illustration to buttress
the idea of the circumstances you suggested:

Most of our churches today praise God with musical instruments in church - and
I don't have any problems with that. But what happens when people have no
access to musical instruments, can't they praise God and rejoice in sweet and
beautiful melodies in worship to Him as Paul and Silas did in the Philippian jail
in Acts 16:25? So also: when someone is in a dire situation, I believe their cry
or prayers to God will be answered without waiting to grab a scarf - but when
in church, there should be no excuses for acting as if one was falling off a bridge
by ignoring what God's Word teaches in 1 Corinthians 11:1-16.

So, in church the inspired apostle made clear that this matter of submission to
authority is for both men and women to comply with by way of submitting
to what God has said about our hair and head: men ought not to cover; and women
are indeed to cover. The Bible never supposes that the Holy Ghost dwells on our
heads, so your last line shouldn't have been so hysterical.

@Ddii,

I'm sorry to disagree with you about those who use headdress in church activities.
They don't do so "just because they feel like it" - they know what they are doing
as 1 Corinthians 11 says. Most of our liberal churches tolerate a whole lot of stuff
that we simply just let them get away with issues because we're not even taking
the time to read the Scriptures.

Good to know that long hair has been given to ladies for a covering. So what then
happens to women who don't have "long" hair, or how "long" is long? The problem
with this type of reasoning is that the previous verses are ignored and then verse
15 just seems to be all too comfy for people who are persuaded to allow just
about anything in church. If we take that view, then there should be no problem
with men wearing long hair - and believe me, I've seen lots of men wearing such
and going about as 'ministers'; it even gets worse, for it was not too long ago that
I saw another 'minister' with long hair and an earring on just one ear!

On the other hand, besides the time-honoured tradition of pratices in church these
days, why then do people have a concern that men take off their hats and caps in
prayer or in church? I don't think the apostle was actually focusing on just one side
of the issue, for many times we often fail to see that this passage of Scripture is
concerned about men as well. So, if hair is the covering, then for love sake our men
should visit the nearest barber, because this is what the Bible says:

"A man, in fact, should [size=13pt]not[/size] cover his head, because he is God's image and glory, but
woman is man's glory." (verse 7).

It's got nothing to do with feelings; it's got everything to do with what God says.

@Idollier,

This is not about arguing over religion - and we gain a lot from these discussions.
Anyone can believe what they want to believe, even if that means that they can
drink "the cup of devils" (I Cor. 10:21)!! I'm sorry, but I don't see how this should
pass into an argument of "rubbishness" as you call it - rather, we're sharing ideas
about this and or other subjects. It may not be to your taste, but others will find
something worthwhile to say.

I do like your reasoning and i'm even more comforted by the fact that you mean well.

But i will like to clear certain areas you might have misunderstood.

You must understand that when you have already believed that such a thing is a sin in your heart, there will be no room for excuse when you commit thatĀ  sin. For whatsoever is not of faith is sin. You do not make excuses for sin.

Paul said, for as many of you are justified by the law, you are debtors to keep the whole law.

The presence of God is beyond what many think. He is not just in that building called the church, he lives inĀ  the christian.

We do not go in and out of his presence.

The bible did not say the woman should cover her hair only when in church for we carry the presence of God; according to the bible, She must do so whenever she prays or prophesies.

The bible said, man looks at the outward, God looks at the heart. For in christ there is neither male nor female but a new creation.

I will not have bothered to join in this thread but i think some people have gotta be set free to worship God in spirit and in truth.

God bless you brother.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by kellorah: 7:24pm On Jul 19, 2006
@ topic. go to church and worship god even if you are nude as long as your mind is pure
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 10:59pm On Jul 19, 2006
Bo, my broder donnie, God multiply His blessings on you.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Nobody: 3:41am On Jul 20, 2006
forget ladies hair for a moment and watch this hilarious video clip of a true brother who waited till the wedding night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBHsuruA2c
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by donnie(m): 10:51am On Jul 22, 2006
Thanx Gwaine, I say AMEN! to that.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Wumine(f): 4:37pm On Oct 21, 2006
ladies hair should be covered in church as a sign of respect to God, this is something i grew up with. But come to think of it, God is everywhere so maybe the hair should always be covered then.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by MP007(m): 4:07pm On Jun 05, 2007
cover ur hair .thats all i have to say , westernization has destroyed the chruch , cover ur head .na bible talk am,
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 8:21am On Jun 09, 2007
The church has destroyed the church and not Western civilization as you put it.

More and more people realise each and everyday that religion is the root of many of our problems and not the answer.

It is mass delusion lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by barikade: 9:39am On Jun 09, 2007
MP007:

cover your hair .thats all i have to say , westernization has destroyed the chruch , cover your head .na bible talk am,

Abi? cheesy
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by mrpataki(m): 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2007
MP007:

cover your hair .thats all i have to say , westernization has destroyed the chruch , cover your head .na bible talk am,

Please what is the difference between head and hair? undecided

Is your eyes , nose ear, part of your head or hair? Some peeps are getting it all wrong. smiley
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by TellyB(m): 6:27pm On Jun 09, 2007
It's the same. grin

When I say, "cover your body", I guess you won't come back asking if I meant to differentiate the "essentials" from body? grin For a start, substitute the word "chest" as the first essential. So it becomes:

"Cover your chest!"

Is that any different from my leaving out the "essentials" and instead saying this:

"Cover your body!"

Abeg, cover the hair - as long as the hair dey for your head! Unless, some people have started growing their hair somewhere else! tongue
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by mrpataki(m): 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2007
grin grin grin grin
Does the bible say hair or head cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by TellyB(m): 8:28pm On Jun 10, 2007
Haba, oga pataks. . . the Bible says cover your head, abi? grin

Do you want it to name the essentials (hair) before your understand what it's pointing to? Okay here is what I recommend:

Tell the sisters to remove the hair first, tie their scarf on their head,
before putting the hair back on the scarf! Abi that one no be innovation? grin
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by thesilent1(m): 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2007
as grandad used to say, spirit, health, bank account! grin

all dis one na jara!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by MP007(m): 11:26am On Jun 24, 2007
reverend , who are u really referencing, God or satan?
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by hannydarl(f): 4:52pm On Jun 25, 2007
Women were expected to cover their heads in the jewish society in those days so one must expect that the bible will encourage what it feels was a moral lifestyle by advising women to make sure that the head is covered when praying or going out in public so that their husbands will not be embarrased when other men look upon his propety(wife) as women were seen then. I believe that if christians in countries where head covering is not mandatory want to trully follow the bile then they have to cover their heads durring prayer as the bible says but its not a sin if the head is uncovered it wont send one to hell.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 8:00am On Jul 07, 2007
MP007:

reverend , who are u really referencing, God or satan?

Neither, they are both pretend characters, made up the minds of weak peple like yourself tongue tongue tongue
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Image123(m): 5:05am On Apr 10, 2008
The writer was writing a letter to younger people,a letter not parables or mysteries.He was teaching them.To believe that He meant a different thing from what he said would be absurd.
Enuf of disobedient christians claiming spirituality by twisting scriptures.Do I blame them,no.The fact is most of this writings are clear to any literate person until they hear some false pastor/teacher/prophet telling them something some evil spirit inspired to them.It used to be 'easy to understand but difficult to obey' except by Grace,but this last days,it is 'difficult to understand and unwilling to obey'.

see English
1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CONGRATULATIONS To Pastor Joe Agbaje / Prof James Wood. From Psychopathic Atheist To Evangelist. Total Transformation / Who Was Abdullah ibn Sa'd ibn Abi Sarh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.