Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? (16559 Views)

Muslim Countries Lead In Online Indecency Searches according to google / Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa / The Hypocrisy Of Child Abuse In Many Muslim Countries - A Christian Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Sep 21, 2013
Every year an estimated 8 million children--6
percent of total births worldwide--are born with a serious birth defect of genetic or partially genetic origin. Additionally, hundreds of thousands more are born with serious birth defects of post- conception origin due to maternal exposure to environmental agents. At least 3.3 million children less than 5 years of age die annually because of serious birth defects and the majority of those who survive may be mentally and physically disabled for life.
This report from the March of Dimes is the first to provide a global estimate of serious birth defects of genetic or partly genetic origin. It details the birth prevalence rates and the numbers of affected births in 193 countries.

According to a global report on birth defects
which was conducted in 2006, 21 out of 22 countries most affected by birth defects per 1000 live births are Muslim majority countries and the following
countries are the ones most affect by birth
defects per 1000 live births:
1. Sudan 82.0/1000
2. Saudi Arabia 81.3/1000
3. Benin 77.9/1009
4. Burkina Faso 77.0/1000
5. Palestinian territories 76.6/1000
6. United Arab Emirates 75.9/1000
7. Tajikistan 75.2/1000
8. Iraq 74.9/1000
9. Kuwait 74.9/1000
10. Afghanistan 74.8/1000
11. Oman 74.8/1000
12. Syria 74.3/1000
13. Pakistan 73.5/1000
14. Nigeria 73.5/1000
15. Kyrgyzstan 73.4/1000
16. Qatar 73.4/1000
17. Bahrain 73.3/1000
18. Jordan 73.1/1000
19. Libya 73.0/1000
20. Tunisia 72.7/1000
21. Morocco 72.3/1000
22. Yemen 72.1/1000

Source

Inbreeding which involves marriage between cousins is an islamically valid and approved practise.
Inbreeding is a major cause of birth defects in children so its very likely that the whole cousin marriage thing has a huge role to play in recorded high rates of birth defects in Muslim countries.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by maclatunji: 11:40pm On Sep 21, 2013
^And what are the specific "birth defects"?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 22, 2013
maclatunji: ^And what are the specific "birth defects"?

vvvvvvv

NL member:
Source
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by maclatunji: 7:12am On Sep 22, 2013
^You couldn't identify the defects and answer the question?
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by golpen(m): 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2013
I'm sorry, but I can't find the list or where it says muslim countries are affected on the source. Please help.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
maclatunji: ^You couldn't identify the defects and answer the question?

Do it yourself.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 22, 2013
golpen: I'm sorry, but I can't find the list or where it says muslim countries are affected on the source. Please help.

There is a 5MB pdf file in the linked website, download it to get the full report on the research.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 8:50am On Sep 23, 2013
This thread should be lock because the op is being deliberately vague and misleading;

1. He refused to provide direct reference to a report that is entirely boring and technical, in essence if the op was making a claim from the report he should at least provide the page in which his claims are being made, I perused through the report and did not find the claims being made by the op
2. The op super-imposes his own opinion on the "high rate of birth defects in Muslim country" to be because of cousin marriage.

The image below shows clearly where the op got his balderdash from

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1320876_Claims_jpg453bf4c27dcf3ae5ad91028c13ecf05e
http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Muslim_Statistics_%28Health_and_Disability%29

Now I decided to follow the link and took me directly to this page in the report which contradicts flatly what the op is promoting;

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1320921_Claims_2_jpg73f9a0474352bb584ade5282a99e43ba

The diagram show 4 Christians dominated countries in central africa dominating the list

http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.marchofdimes.com/downloads/Birth_Defects_Report-PF.pdf&date=2012-08-19

Either the op should be considered and branded a liar or better still be considered a simpleton who naively thinks passing any information about Muslim countries validates his brand of stupidity intelligence!

The thread should simply locked or the op should come out clean and tell us what page in the report he posted can we find the long lies table of countries that have quite a high number of birth defects, FYI being born with a sickle cell is considered a birth defect, likewise being AS, your gene is considered defective, marrying anybody who carries an "S" means U could give birth to a person with birth defects.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
vedaxcool: Now I decided to follow the link and took me directly to this page in the report which contradicts flatly what the op is promoting
The diagram show 4 Christians dominated countries in central africa dominating the list

That your image does not contradict anything I wrote because the image you posted shows the [size=13pt]global distribution of males with glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenose deficiency[/size]

The diagram doesn't show the global distribution of birth defects, it shows the distribution of male children born with an enzyme deficiency.

The thread should simply locked or the op should come out clean and tell us what page in the report he posted can we find the long lies table of countries that have quite a high number of birth defects,

See the diagram below;

That diagram is in the full report and in it is where you can find the information I posted in the OP of this thread.
In the PDF file, you'll see the diagram on page 9, in the section where the summary of the entire research is written.

FYI being born with a sickle cell is considered a birth defect, likewise being AS, your gene is considered defective, marrying anybody who carries an "S" means U could give birth to a person with birth defects.

I mentioned cousin marriage as a likely cause of birth defects in muslim countries because
1. There have been studies carried out in the past that show that cousin marriage double the risk of genetic birth defect in children. One of those studies can be found here
2. A dramatic rise in birth defects was observed in an area where muslims who practise cousin marriage migrated to in large numbers. For example in Britain where ---------> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-513388/Minister-Muslim-inbreeding-Britain-causing-massive-surge-birth-defects.html
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 23, 2013
There you go

This is the pic you posted, as you can see in the circled part, the diagram is not showing info about birth defects but about an enzyme deficiency.

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by sino(m): 8:36pm On Sep 23, 2013
First and foremost, I would like to correct an erroneous assertion by the OP, birth defect isn’t caused by inbreeding, but it is a risk factor in the continuous expression and prevalence of birth defects.

Now I’m not that keen on interpreting charts and diagrams, I know the OP is anathema to whatever Islam has sanctioned, so I would just try and explain why he needs not to worry too much.

Cousin marriage is permissible in Islam, it is not compulsory, there are benefits and not until recently, we hear and see a problem associated with it such as this.

So what does Islam prescribe?

Allah Says in the glorious Qur’an, “and don’t take your souls to destruction” , in light of this verse, a Muslim is not expected to get involved in things that may harm him or his family(progeny inclusive ) (Scholars have used this verse to make fatwa against smoking, which is not explicitly stated haram in the Qur’an), So when the disadvantages of a permissible act are so prominent and has to do with life, Islam gives us the right to abstain from it.

Be that as it may, Islam goes in pari passu with development in beneficial knowledge; hence the advancement and understanding which science has brought would help in preventing cases of birth defects.

It is a fact that prenatal diagnoses are available in analyzing most genetic disorders in fetus; I also learnt recently that there are centers for testing to-be couples in the Middle East which diagnose these diseases… In 1990, The World Islamic League passed a fatwa permitting abortion up to 120days after conception if the fetus is diagnosed with a serious disorder.

All in all, there is awareness about it, and proactive steps are being taken to tackle this problem. Check this site: http://www.cags.org.ae/index.html

Most of these birth defects are as a result of mutation in the genes, even if you go and marry from Russia, if your spouse is a carrier of a defective gene (or is affected with a disorder) and it is inheritable (Autosomal, X,Y linked etc. dominant or recessive), the chance of your children having a genetic disorder is probable. The reason why a background check is necessary before you go all lovey-dovey and saying, marry me or yes I do.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2013
First and foremost, I would like to correct anerroneous assertion by the OP, birth defect isn’tcaused by inbreeding, but it is a risk factor inthe continuous expression and prevalence of birth defects.
Cousin marriage doubles the risk of birth defects in children.
Since there is increased chances of otherwise healthy children being born with birth defects, it can be said that cousin marriage is the cause of birth defects in children who have been exposed to that risk factor.

Cousin marriage is permissible in Islam, it is notcompulsory, there are benefits and not
until recently, we hear and see a problem associated with it such as this.
It is not compulsory but it was prescribed right? Why would Allah prescribe a practise that doubles the risk of children being born with abnormalities?
Why not prohibit cousin marriage altogether to avoid the increased risk of birth defects?

It is a fact that prenatal diagnoses are available in analyzing most genetic disorders in fetus; I also learnt recently that there are centers for testing to-be couples in the Middle East which diagnose these diseases… In 1990, The World Islamic League passed a fatwa permitting abortion up to 120days after conception if the fetus is diagnosed with a serious disorder.
Were these diagnostic procedures in place during the time of the prophet? Were they in place during the time the quran was revealed?
Your solution makes no sense because until recently there was no way to test intending couples for genetic compatibility and a lot of children had already been negatively affected by consanguinity before the testing procedures were discovered.
Even presently many related couples who either cannot afford the tests or are unaware of it, would go ahead and have children regardless of how compatible they are so testing is useless in such cases.
Genetic testing cannot be suggested as a solution to this problem unless you show me where it is written in the specifically in the hadith or quran that cousins must make sure they get tested before marriage so as to avoid problems with foetal development.

And you mentioned abortion; many countries in the world have not legalized abortion; Nigeria included, so abortion is a no go area in such countries and is useless a a preventive measure against this problem.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by sino(m): 11:39pm On Sep 23, 2013
NL member:
Cousin marriage doubles the risk of birth defects in children.
Since there is increased chances of otherwise healthy children being born with birth defects, it can be said that cousin marriage is the cause of birth defects in children who have been exposed to that risk factor.
I absolutely disagree, you just trying to be evasive of the fact that you spewed a fallacy, causes of birth defects have been researched, consanguinity is not the cause!

NL member:
It is not compulsory but it was prescribed right? Why would Allah prescribe a practise that doubles the risk of children being born with abnormalities?
Why not prohibit cousin marriage altogether to avoid the increased risk of birth defects?
Yes it was prescribed, there were/are advantages and benefits, some being socioeconomic etc...
You can as well ask why not remove LDL-Cholesterol from our system since it can lead to heart diseases...do non-consanguineous marriages produce some birth defects too? no?
You write as if once cousins get married, they must have offspring with birth defects...

NL member:
Were these diagnostic procedures in place during the time of the prophet? Were they in place during the time the quran was revealed?
Your solution makes no sense because until recently there was no way to test intending couples for genetic compatibility and a lot of children had already been negatively affected by consanguinity before the testing procedures were discovered.
Even presently many related couples who either cannot afford the tests or are unaware of it, would go ahead and have children regardless of how compatible they are so testing is useless in such cases.
I am also sure that state of the art medical facilities were not available during the life time of the Prophet(saw), did that prevent them from living their lives? did that prevent them from marrying and getting pregnant and safe deliveries?
you look around you with all sophisticated gadgets and you think you are on top of the world right? no other generation had a good life? even in this part of the world, we were told how our earlier generation lived with less illness as we have prevalent in our modern world.

the reality during the time of the Prophet(saw) dictates the way they lived their lives, our reality is quite different, but the principles that guide us are unique and universal.
NL member:
Genetic testing cannot be suggested as a solution to this problem unless you show me where it is written in the specifically in the hadith or quran that cousins must make sure they get tested before marriage so as to avoid problems with foetal development.
come on mate, do you want everything to be spelled out in the Qur'an and hadith before you can comprehend? I quoted a verse of the Qur'an which enjoins us not to cause harm to ourselves, didn't you see that?

NL member:
And you mentioned abortion; many countries in the world have not legalized abortion; Nigeria included, so abortion is a no go area in such countries and is useless a a preventive measure against this problem.
Please read what i wrote properly, once it's proven that the fetus is carrying a severe genetic disorder, it is allowed for it to be aborted(it's a fatwa that can be employed in these Muslim countries), even Nigeria allows abortion if the pregnancy would endanger the mother's life.
It is not useless, it can prevent further expression of a genetic disorder, once the fetus is screened and found free of the genetic disorder.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 24, 2013
sino:
I absolutely disagree, you just trying to be evasive of the fact that you spewed a fallacy, causes of birth defects have been researched, consanguinity is not the cause!
For the love of peace, if it doubles the risk of a problem them it IS the cause of the problem when children who would otherwise have been born healthy are born with defects because of the exposed risk, why in heaven's name is this hard for you to understand?.

Yes it was prescribed, there were/are advantages and benefits, some being socioeconomic etc...
You can as well ask why not remove LDL-Cholesterol from our system since it can lead to heart diseases...do non-consanguineous marriages produce some birth defects too? no?
You write as if once cousins get married, they must have offspring with birth defects

Rubbish.
Only high levels of LDL cholesterol in the body can cause heart problems, high levels of Ldl cholesterol was not prescribed
in the quran as a diet for muslims so this is a stupiid analogy.
Cousin marriage which in itself doubles the risk of birth defects was prescribed to muslims by allah so they are not the same thing.
Don't bring up silly points just because you don't want to agree with me, I don't have time to waste repeating the same points to you.

I am also sure that state of the art medical facilities were not available during the life time of the Prophet(saw), did that prevent them from living their lives? did that prevent them from marrying and getting pregnant and safe deliveries?
Did I say cousin marriage prevented them from living their lives? Did I say it prevented some of them from getting married and having children? What I said is that it can lead to having children birth defects so stop making useless observations.

you look around u with all sophisticated gadgets and you think you are on top of the world right? no other generation had a good life? even in this part of the world, we were told how our earlier generation lived with less illness as we have prevalent in our modern world.

the reality during the time of the Prophet(saw) dictates the way they lived their lives, our reality is quite different, but the principles that guide us are unique and universal.

come on mate, do you want everything to be spelled out in the Qur'an and hadith before you can comprehend? I quoted a verse of the Qur'an which enjoins us not to cause harm to ourselves, didn't you see that?
More nonsense to waste my time.
Your diagnostic tests were not available for a long time after the prophet told you allah approved cousin marriage so a lot of harm has already been done since many children have been born with defects because their parents were related.
Diagnostic tests can not afforded by poor muslim cousins who want to marry and they are useless in cases where the couple is illiterate and don't know of these tests.
Why did allah not prohibit cousin marriage altogether instead of prescribing it to muslims knowing fully well that many of them will have kids with birth defects
because they are related?

Please read what i wrote properly, once it's proven that the fetus is carrying a severe genetic disorder, it is allowed for it to be aborted(it's a fatwa that can be employed in these Muslim countries), even Nigeria allows abortion if the pregnancy would endanger the mother's life.
Serious birth defects that arise from cousin marriage can never lead to death of the pregnant mother, they can either lead to infant mortality or cause lifelong mental/physical etc disability for the child.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 8:13am On Sep 24, 2013
NL member:

That diagram is in the full report and in it is where you can find the information I posted in the OP of this thread.
In the PDF file, you'll see the diagram on page 9, in the section where the summary of the entire research is written.

Since he has come out clean is one step, [size=18pt]the question now comes where did the report state that all this deficiency are a result to people marrying their cousins[/size]? You could start by reading the recommendations, you won't find a single recommendation stating YOUR OPINION. Remember failing to point this would mean you are lying and simply superimposing your opinion on report that had nothing to do with phobia for Muslims!
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 8:20am On Sep 24, 2013
Countries that permit Cousins getting married,

First-cousin marriage legal Blue
Legality dependent on religion or culture2 Orange
Statute bans first-cousin marriage Red
Banned with exceptions Pink
Criminal offense Red
No available data Grey

Somehow, Muslims countires are guilty of an offence most of the world seem to be committing, unless the op is able to demonstrate that this is the fault of Islam, I might recommend to the mods that the thread should be moved to the health section, as the op is yet to demonstrate how the thread should be the muslim section!
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Stalwert: 8:38am On Sep 24, 2013
Judaism and Christianity
Cousins are not included in the lists of prohibited relatives provided in the Bible, specifically in the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy.[34] The Old Testament also contains several examples of married cousins. Two of the most famous are prominent in Genesis. Isaac was married to Rebekah, his first cousin once removed (Genesis 24:12–15). Also, Rachel and Leah were both cousins of Isaac's son Jacob. Jacob loved Rachel and worked seven years for her father Laban in return for permission to marry (Genesis 28–29). Jacob's brother Esau also married his cousin Mahalath, daughter of Ishmael. According to many English Bible translations, a fourth example is the five daughters of Zelophehad, who married the "sons of their father's brothers" in the later period of Moses, although other translations merely say "relatives." (For example, the Catholic RSV-CE and NAB differ in Numbers 36:10–12.) During the apportionment of Israel following the journey out of Egypt, Caleb gives his daughter Achsah to his brother's son Othniel according to the NAB (Joshua 15:17), though the Jewish Talmud argues Othniel was simply Caleb's brother (Sotah 11b). The daughters of Eleazer also married the sons of Eleazer's brother Kish in the still later time of David (1 Chronicles 23:22). King Rehoboam and his wives Maacah and Mahalath were grandchildren of David (2 Chronicles 11:20). Finally, Tobias in the book of Tobit has a right to marry Sarah because he is her nearest kinsman (Tobit 7:10), though the exact degree of their cousinship is not clear.

In Roman Catholicism, all marriages more distant than first-cousin marriages are allowed,[159] and first-cousin marriages can be contracted with a dispensation.[160] This was not always the case, however: the Catholic Church has gone through several phases in kinship prohibitions. At the dawn of Christianity in Roman times, marriages between first cousins were allowed. For example, Emperor Constantine, the first Christian Roman Emperor, married his children to the children of his half-brother. First and second cousin marriages were then banned at the Council of Agde in AD 506, though dispensations sometimes continued to be granted. By the 11th century, with the adoption of the so-called canon-law method of computing consanguinity, these proscriptions had been extended even to sixth cousins, including by marriage. But due to the many resulting difficulties in reckoning who was related to whom, they were relaxed back to third cousins at the Fourth Lateran Council in AD 1215. Pope Benedict XV reduced this to second cousins in 1917,[21] and finally, the current law was enacted in 1983.[160] In Catholicism, close relatives who have married unwittingly without a dispensation can receive an annulment.

There are several explanations for the rise of Catholic cousin marriage prohibitions after the fall of Rome. One explanation is increasing Germanic influence on church policy. G.E. Howard states, "During the period preceding the Teutonic invasion, speaking broadly, the church adhered to Roman law and custom; thereafter those of the Germans...were accepted."[161] On the other hand it has also been argued that the bans were a reaction against local Germanic customs of kindred marriage.[162] At least one Frankish King, Pepin the Short, apparently viewed close kin marriages among nobles as a threat to his power.[163] Whatever the reasons, written justifications for such bans had been advanced by St. Augustine by the fifth century. "It is very reasonable and just," he wrote, "that one man should not himself sustain many relationships, but that various relationships should be distributed among several, and thus serve to bind together the greatest number in the same social interests."[34] Taking a contrary view, Protestants writing after the Reformation tended to see the prohibitions and the dispensations needed to circumvent them as part of an undesirable church scheme to accrue wealth, or "lucre."[34]

Since the 13th century the Catholic Church has measured consanguinity according to what is called, perhaps confusingly, the civil-law method. Under this method, the degree of relationship between lineal relatives (i.e., a man and his grandfather) is simply equal to the number of generations between them. However, the degree of relationship between collateral (non-lineal) relatives equals the number of links in the family tree from one person, up to the common ancestor, and then back to the other person. Thus brothers are related in the second degree, and first cousins in the fourth degree.[164]

Protestant churches generally allow cousin marriage,[165] in keeping with criticism of the Catholic system of dispensations by Martin Luther and John Calvin during the Reformation.[20] This includes most of the major US denominations, such as Baptist, Pentecostal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Methodist. The Anglican Communion has also allowed cousin marriage since its inception during the rule of King Henry VIII. According Luther and Calvin, the Catholic bans on cousin marriage were an expression of Church rather than divine law and needed to be abolished. Protestants during the Reformation struggled to interpret the Biblical proscriptions against incest in a sensible manner, a task frustrated by facts like their omission of the daughter (but inclusion of the granddaughter) as a directly prohibited relation.[34] John Calvin thought of the Biblical list only as illustrative and that any relationship of the same or smaller degree as any listed, namely the third degree by the civil-law method, should therefore be prohibited. The Archbishop of Canterbury reached the same conclusion soon after.[21] But in contrast to both Protestantism and Catholicism, the Eastern Orthodox Church bars up to second cousins from marrying.[16] The 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia refers to a theory by the Anglican bishop of Bath and Wells speculating that Mary and Joseph, the mother of Jesus and her husband, were first cousins.[166] Jack Goody describes this theory as a "legend."[167]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Stalwert: 8:40am On Sep 24, 2013

First-cousin marriage is legal -Bule
Allowed with requirements or exceptions - light blue
Banned with exceptions1 - Pink
Statute bans first-cousin marriage1 - red
Criminal offense1 - Dark red
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by sino(m): 9:45am On Sep 24, 2013
NL member:
For the love of peace, if it doubles the risk of a problem them it IS the cause of the problem when children who would otherwise have been born healthy are born with defects because of the exposed risk, why in heaven's name is this hard for you to understand?.
Mr man, we are talking science here, causes of diseases are not based on silly assumptions, rather they are based on facts! Proper investigations employing all necessary scientific approach. No sane scientist would agree with this your conclusion.
It's like saying malaria is caused by sleeping outside in surulere, it is ludicrous!

NLmember:
Rubbish.
Only high levels of LDL cholesterol in the body can cause heart problems, high levels of Ldl cholesterol was not prescribed
in the quran as a diet for muslims so this is a stupiid analogy.
Cousin marriage which in itself doubles the risk of birth defects was prescribed to muslims by allah so they are not the same thing.
Don't bring up silly points just because you don't want to agree with me, I don't have time to waste repeating the same points to you.
I know you wouldn't get it, only if there is a case of genetic defect would consanguineous marriage lead to birth defects. It's about the fact that something which isn't naturally bad and has its benefits can easily turn into something perilous, this can be as a result of factors brought about by nature itself or by man.
Scientist are still bewildered about some mutations, why it happens and why it is inheritable e.g some cancers...

Learning about these things is one of the mercies of Allah, you either appreciate it or deny it, your choice!
Do you know that children born with g6pd are not prone to malaria? Isn't this another avenue towards research to find solution to malaria? You are just a small piece in the mega events and happenings in the universe. There are some reasons for things happening which is just byond your pay grade wink
NLmember:
Did I say cousin marriage prevented them from living their lives? Did I say it prevented some of them from getting married and having children? What I said is that it can lead to having children birth defects so stop making useless observations.
They are not useles observations, Allah didn't prohibit drinking water from wells and streams or did He? Knowing fully well that there can be harmful microbes in it leading to diseases that can kill, But what is obtainable now? Didn't they live their lives then?

I repeat, Islam makes it permisible and not mandatory, there is room for contingencies...

NLmember:
More nonsense to waste my time.
Your diagnostic tests were not available for a long time after the prophet told you allah approved cousin marriage so a lot of harm has already been done since many children have been born with defects because their parents were related.
Diagnostic tests can not afforded by poor muslim cousins who want to marry and they are useless in cases where the couple is illiterate and don't know of these tests.
Why did allah not prohibit cousin marriage altogether instead of prescribing it to muslims knowing fully well that many of them will have kids with birth defects
because they are related?
You still don't get it, concerted efforts are being made to create awareness, research is still ongoing...Birth defect is a global issue, it happens everywhere...it's a disease just like any other.
It cannot be eradicated by prohibiting cousin marriage, according to your stats, it can only be reduced by half so what is your fuss?
NLmember:
Serious birth defects that arise from cousin marriage can never lead to death of the pregnant mother, they can either lead to infant mortality or cause lifelong mental/physical etc disability for the child.
True, and it is a better option to abort it in its earliest stage, No sane person would disagree with this opinion! Or do you?
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 24, 2013
vedaxcool:
Since he has come out clean is one step,]the question now comes where did the report state that all this deficiency are a result to people marrying their cousins. You could start by reading the recommendations, you won't find a single recommendation stating YOUR OPINION. Remember failing to point this would mean you are lying and simply superimposing your opinion on report that had nothing to do with phobia for Muslims!
What do you mean 'since I have come out clean one step'?
I never told a lie in this thread, never, not once.
You are the one labelling false accusations against me and demanding that the thread be locked or removed from the Islam section maybe because you are scared of Muslims seeing the not too palatable parts of Islam in the thread.

Also, I never said the report declared cousin marriage to be the cause of increased birth defects in Muslim countries. That was another false information you have posted on this thread. The report/research is centered on finding the countries with the highest rates of birth defects in the world, it only briefly touched on the causes of birth defects in those countries (and cousin marriage was mentioned as a cause).

What I said in my OP was

NL member: Inbreeding which involves marriage between cousins is an islamically valid and approved practise.
Inbreeding is a major cause of birth defects
in children [size=13pt]so its very likely that the whole cousin marriage thing has a huge role to play[/size] in recorded high rates of birth defectsin Muslim countries

So you see, you were the one telling lies against on the thread.
In another part of this thread where I replied one of your posts, I repeated the same thing, saying I thought cousin marriage is LIKELY to be the cause, and I gave my reasons for having this opinion which was that cousin marriage increases the risk and that in areas where muslims who practised cousin marriage emigrated to in large numbers, the number of children with birth defects was increased.
This is the post;

NL member:
I mentioned cousin marriage as a likely cause of birth defects in muslim countries because
1. There have been studies carried out in the past that show that cousin marriage double the risk of genetic birth defect in children. One of those studies can be found here
2. A dramatic rise in birth defects was observed in an area where muslims who practise cousin marriage migrated to in large numbers. For example in Britain where ---------> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-513388/Minister-Muslim-inbreeding-Britain-causing-massive-surge-birth-defects.html
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 24, 2013
vedaxcool: Somehow, Muslims countires are guilty of an offence most of the world seem to be committing, unless the op is able to demonstrate that this is the fault of Islam, I might recommend to the mods that the thread should be moved to the health section, as the op is yet to demonstrate how the thread should be the muslim section!

In the wikipedia link where you got your map of cousin marriage, there is also a section which mentions that the middle east has the highest rates of cousin marriages of all the countries in the world. I wonder how you missed that part. Anyway let me quote it here for you since you somehow failed to see it on the wiki page;

Middle East
The Middle East has uniquely high rates of
cousin marriage among the world's regions
Certain Middle Eastern countries, including
Saudi Arabia, have rates of marriage to first or
second cousins that may exceed 50%.[2] Iraq
was estimated in one study to have a rate of
33%,[88] and figures for Iran and Afghanistan
have been estimated in the range of 30–40%.
[2]

Sure there are non muslim countries where cousin marriage is legal and where it is practised but that doesn't mean it is carried out as frequently as it is in muslim countries.
There has actually been a decline in the rate of cousins getting married in non muslim countries because of the scientific discoveries which show the inherent risks involved in the practise.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 24, 2013
sino:
Mr man, we are talking science here, causes of diseases are not based on silly assumptions, rather they are based on facts!
I am not going to waste anymore time on this because this isn't what my thread is about. Feel free to believe whatever you like on the matter.

I know you wouldn't get it, only if there is a case of genetic defect would consanguineous marriage lead to birth defects. It's about the fact that something which isn't naturally bad and has its benefits can easily turn into something perilous, this can be as a result of factors brought about by nature itself or by man.
Where are you getting your ridiculous scientific facts from? Who is telling you these things? ?!?
So its only if there is genetic defect in the parents that consanguinous marriages would lead to problematic childbirth? Did you even read what you wrote before you posted it?
Child defects arising from consanguinous marriages are due to the mating of two parents with genes that are similarly recessive for the disease the child is born with. There is no manifesting genetic defect in the parent because the genes for the defect are recessive, the genetic defect would only manifest if the genes are dominant and not recessive.
When two parents with similar recessive genes for a particular defect mate, the resultant embryo gains two recessive genes from each parent and two recessive genes combined always gives a dominant gene. Since the unborn child inherits two recessive genes from both parents and thus ends up with a dominant gene, the child is born with manifesting or obvious genetic defects unlike the parents.
This is basic genetics that we were taught in secondary school.
Furthermore, the likelyhood of cousins giving birth to children with defects is increased due to the fact that they are closely related and as such have similar dominant and recessive genes.
If an unrelated couple gets married, there would be varying recessive genes and thus it is far less likely for the couple to have a child with genetic defects.

Learning about these things is one of the mercies of Allah, you either appreciate it or deny it, your choice!
Do you know that children born with g6pd are not prone to malaria? Isn't this another avenue towards research to find solution to malaria? You are just a small piece in the mega events and happenings in the universe. There are some reasons for things happening which is just byond your pay grade wink
Please stop this, I've had it with your talk of unrelated diseases ie malaria and LDL. The issue here is why cousin marriage is likely to be the cause of birth defects in muslim countries.

They are not useles observations, Allah didn't prohibit drinking water from wells and streams or did He? Knowing fully well that there can be harmful microbes in it leading to diseases.
I repeat, Islam makes it permisible not mandatory,there is room for contingencies

Human beings had their senses to guide them back then when they were drinking water from wells and streams, it was obvious and a well known fact that drinking impure water can lead to health problems so even if they drank from wells and streams, they also took measures to avoid drinking contaminated water.
Muslims in the time of the prophet did not know that cousin marriage increases the risk of birth defects and they didn't have anyway to test for compatibility so there was no way they could have protected their children from having birth problems which cousin marriage significantly increases.
why didn't allah protect them by giving them the means? Why put permission in place for a rule that doubles the risk of children being born abnormal?

You still don't get it, concerted efforts are being made to create awareness, research is still ongoing...Birth defect is a global issue, it happens everywhere...it's a disease just like any other.
You are the one that doesn't get it.
You said abortion can be used as a means of preventing birth of defective children and I told you that abortion is illegal in many countries, you then switched to saying that abortion is allowed when the mother's life is at risk and then I told you that is not possible for the mother's life to be at risk because of defects from cousin marriage
Now you have startes talking about how concerted efforts are everywhere and researches are going on and so on and so forth.
You suggested a wrong solution to the problem please face it and stop changing the subject.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2013
NL member:

So you see, you were the one telling lies against on the thread.
In another part of this thread where I replied one of your posts, I repeated the same thing, saying I thought cousin marriage is LIKELY to be the cause, and I gave my reasons for having this opinion which was that cousin marriage increases the risk and that in areas where muslims who practised cousin marriage emigrated to in large numbers, the number of children with birth defects was increased.
This is the post;

[size=18pt]Let me put it simple, Does the Research say that marrying ones counsin is responsible for the high rate of birth defect? Yes or No[/size] If not how does this concern the Islam for muslim section
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 24, 2013
vedaxcool:

Let me put it simple, Does the Research say that marrying ones counsin is responsible for the high rate of birth defect? Yes or No If not how does this concern the Islam for muslim section

Why are you so fixated on getting the topic moved??
Is there something you're trying to hide from the Islam section jamaah?
wink

The research says countries where your muslim brothers live have the highest rates of birth defects. That alone should concern you because it is talking about something that affects your fellow muslims..... or are you not interested in knowing what goes on in muslim countries all over he world?
Anyway you can put them in your prayers. Ask Allah to make it easy for your muslim brothers to take care of the children that were born defective.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2013
Evidently the Op has shown that neither the Report nor science states that Marrying one's cousin [ a practice common across the world] is responsible for birth defects, clearly criticising Islam on NL seem more this days to involve Lies and dishonesty than people trying to proffer well though criticism of religion, . . . this thread should be moved to the health section where people with the competent skills and knowledge might be able to better discuss the issues invovled!
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 24, 2013
vedaxcool: Evidently the Op has shown that neither the Report nor science states that Marrying one's cousin [ a practice common across the world] is responsible for birth defects, clearly criticising Islam on NL seem more this days to involve Lies and dishonesty than people trying to proffer well though criticism of religion, . . . this thread should be moved to the health section where people with the competent skills and knowledge might be able to better discuss the issues invovled!

You keep accusing me of lying yet you are the one telling lies against me.
I have posted two links here to show that science says cousin marriage leads to birth defects; see my first reply to you on this thread for those links.

As for the report, it says cousin marriage can lead to birth defects on page 8 under the summary of the report.

Birth defects are a global problem, but their impact is particularly severe in middle- and lowincome countries where more than 94 percent of the births with serious birth defects and 95 percent of the deaths of these children occur2. The proportion of births with birth defects as well as the absolute number of births are much higher in middleand low-income countries than in high-incomecountries because of sharp differences in maternal health and other significant risk factors, including poverty, a high percentage of older mothers, a greater
frequency of consanguineous marriages
and the survival advantage against malaria for carriers of sickle cell, thalassemia, and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency genes.

I have also stated the reasons why I think cousin marriage is the culprit responsible for rates of high birth defects in muslim countries which is because cousin marriages double the risk of having a child with birth defects and because muslim countries practice it more than other countries in the world.

This is another excerpt from a BBC report on a pakistani muslim community that shows that cousin marriages increases rates of birth defects, this report was gotten from THE SAME PAGE where you got that map of cousin marriages that you posted earlier on;

A BBC report discussed Pakistanis in Britain, 55% of whom marry a first cousin. Given the high rate of such marriages, many children come from repeat generations of first-cousin marriages. The report states that these children are 13 times more likely than the general population to produce children with genetic disorders, and one in ten children of first-cousin marriages in Birmingham either dies in infancy or develops a serious disability. The BBC also states that Pakistani-Britons, who account for some 3% of all births in the UK, produce "just under a third" of all British children with genetic illnesses. Published studies show that mean perinatal mortality in the Pakistani community of 15.7 per thousand significantly exceeds that in the indigenous population and all other ethnic groups in Britain. Congenital anomalies account for 41 percent of all British Pakistani infant deaths.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 5:14pm On Sep 24, 2013
Woflmao says the dog, grin grin grin grin grin, Lies upon lies, ahh you deserve pity where did the report say consanguineous marriage can lead to birth defect?

In epidemiology, a risk factor is a variable associated with an increased risk of disease or infection. Sometimes, determinant is also used, being a variable associated with either increased or decreased risks.

Risk factors or determinants are correlational and not necessarily causal, because correlation does not prove causation. For example, being young cannot be said to cause measles, but young people have a higher rate of measles because they are less likely to have developed immunity during a previous epidemic. Statistical methods are frequently used to assess the strength of an association and to provide causal evidence (for example in the study of the link between smoking and lung cancer). Statistical analysis along with the biological sciences can establish that risk factors are causal. Some prefer the term risk factor to mean causal determinants of increased rates of disease, and for unproven links to be called possible risks, associations, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_factor

Please let me bestow upon you a befitting title,

Quark Doctor NL member please bow and receive your "honour" I formally confer upon thee, the title of Quark Doctor, QDoc or NL member

grin grin grin

Seriously u do need to understand statistics and medicine to make your bogus claims supportable!

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 24, 2013
vedaxcool: Risk factors or determinants are correlational and not necessarily causal, because correlation does not prove causation. For example, being young cannot be said to cause measles, but young people have a higher rate of measles because they are less likely to have developed immunity during a previous epidemic. Statistical methods are frequently used to assess the strength of an association and to provide causal evidence (for example in the study of the link between smoking and lung cancer). Statistical analysis along with the biological sciences can establish that risk factors are causal. Some prefer the term risk factor to mean causal determinants of increased rates of disease, and for unproven links to be called possible risks, associations, etc.

Nobody outside this section takes you serious, maybe I should have done as they do and disregarded your posts.
Maybe I made a huge mistake by bothering to indulge you in the first place as it is now obvious that your intention on this thread is not to make any meaningful contribution but to troll and derail it.

You started by telling lies saying the report never mentioned that muslim countries have the highest rates of birth defects.
When I pointed out your lie, you switched to another lie saying that I never posted scientific evidence that cousin marriage can lead to birth defects; again I refuted that lie.
Now you have decided to go into defining risk factors and you're trying to make it seem like cousin marriage is a risk factor but does not cause birth defects.
All this, after I posted different links to show that rates of birth defects was significantly higher in areas where muslims married their cousins. I even explained the genetic mechanisms of how cousin marriage leads to birth defects to sino on this thread.

I now understand why members of the religion section call you a troll that should never be taken seriously.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 24, 2013
lol, vedaxcool, are you liking your posts by yourself again? grin

lwtmb
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 7:32pm On Sep 24, 2013
NL member:

Nobody outside this section takes you serious, maybe I should have done as they do and disregarded your posts.
Maybe I made a huge mistake by bothering to indulge you in the first place as it is now obvious that your intention on this thread is not to make any meaningful contribution but to troll and derail it.

You started by telling lies saying the report never mentioned that muslim countries have the highest rates of birth defects.
When I pointed out your lie, you switched to another lie saying that I never posted scientific evidence that cousin marriage can lead to birth defects; again I refuted that lie.
Now you have decided to go into defining risk factors and you're trying to make it seem like cousin marriage is a risk factor but does not cause birth defects.
All this, after I posted different links to show that rates of birth defects was significantly higher in areas where muslims married their cousins. I even explained the genetic mechanisms of how cousin marriage leads to birth defects to sino on this thread.

I now understand why members of the religion section call you a troll that should never be taken seriously.

woflmao pats Quark Doctor Nlmember on the back, don't cry child, I wonder why atheist always cry cry cry cry cry every time I show them that, they need to work more on their supposed understanding of things? Call it Veda fXactor, I am sorry child, but crying wouldn't clear your title, Quark Doctor, the board is unanimous on that fact that you did outstandingly well in Quackery, QDoc, members of the religion section don't me seriously, really I see your are another spurious ID fronting from one of those dudes who feels depressed that I with out much trouble showed them as being inadequate mentally to offer serious criticism of anything, keep crying maybe it might awaken honesty and truth in your life, but butt hurting wouldn't get you brownie points!

Again witness Quark Doc Nlmember, show his ignorance, he said I made Consanguineous marriage a risk factor yet it was the same him who quoted the report that stated that it was a risk factor,

NL member: As for the report, it says cousin marriage can lead to birth defects on page 8 under the summary of the report.

Birth defects are a global problem, but their impact is particularly severe in middle- and lowincome countries where more than 94 percent of the births with serious birth defects and 95 percent of the deaths of these children occur2. The proportion of births with birth defects as well as the absolute number of births are much higher in middleand low-income countries than in high-incomecountries because of sharp differences in maternal health and other significant risk factors, including poverty, a high percentage of older mothers, a greater
frequency of consanguineous marriages [/b]and the survival advantage against malaria for carriers of sickle cell, thalassemia, and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency genes.

Notice the liar lies by saying a report that did not use the word "can lead to" innovates the lie that "Risk Factor" and "can lead to" are synonymous, typically statisticians are very careful when using words, but when you are an islamophobe, who has no background knowledge on medicine or science, lies and the misuse of words become fair game! smiley

woflmao the dogs says, isn't there a disease all Islamophobe suffer from, they hate Islam yet they cannot live without the Islam for muslim section, they cannot live their lives without calling Allah, Islam, Muslims, etc why? I wil do my own research, there must be mental illness that is linked to being an Islamophobe and I will find that link.

[b]Islam for Muslim Section A Medication to patients
. . .
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 24, 2013
I have explained everything necessary about the relationship between cousin marriage and birth defects, I even went into genetics to explain.

Vedaxcool Please stay on the thread and troll all you want I am not going to indulge you any further.

You are not worth my time.
Re: Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? by vedaxcool(m): 7:40pm On Sep 24, 2013
NL member: lol, vedaxcool, are you liking your posts by yourself again? grin

lwtmb

Abeg baba agba come explain to us wetin dey worry this guy;

please guys like more of the comments, so dat Quarkdoc can enjoy his butthurt

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse / The Love And Importance Of Cats In Islam / Men Praying At Home Without Excuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.