Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa (4080 Views)

Muslim Countries Found To Have Highest Rates Of Birth Defects? / Shia Ayatollah Issues Fatwa Permitting The Drinking Of Water During FASTING / Why Do Non-Muslim Terrorists Get Little Press Coverage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by tbaba1234: 12:24pm On Nov 07, 2012
The Fiqh Council has issued a statement on this issue: Participation of Muslims in elections with non-Muslims, the text of which is as follows:

Praise be to Allaah alone, and blessings and peace be upon the one after whom there is no Prophet, our Prophet Muhammad, and his family and companions.

The Islamic Fiqh Council in its nineteenth session, which was held in the headquarters of the Muslim World League in Makkah al-Mukarramah between 22 and 27 Shawwaal 1428 AH (3 to 8 November 2007 CE) has examined the issue of “Participation of Muslims in elections with non-Muslims in non-Muslim countries.” This is one of the topics on which discussion was deferred in the sixteenth conference which was held between 21 and 26 Shawwaal 1422 AH in order that it may be examined more thoroughly.

After listening to the research that was presented and the discussions concerning it, the Council has determined the following:

Muslim participation in elections with non-Muslims in a non-Muslim country is one of the shar’i political matters in which the ruling is determined in the light of weighing up the pros and cons, and fatwas concerning it differ according to time, place and circumstances.

it is permissible for a Muslim who enjoys the rights of citizenship in a non-Muslim country to take part in elections and the like because it is more likely that his participation will bring benefits such as presenting a true picture of Islam, defending Muslim issues in that country, supporting the rights of religious and other minorities, strengthening their role in circles of influence, and cooperating with reasonable, fair-minded people on a basis of truth and justice. That should be in accordance with the following guidelines:

(i) The Muslim participants should intend thereby to serve the interests of the Muslims and ward off evil and harm from them.

(ii) The Muslim participants should think it most likely that their participation will have positive effects that will benefit the Muslims in that country, such as supporting their position, conveying their requests to the decision makers and those who are in charge of the country, and protecting their religious and worldly interests.

(iii) The Muslim’s participation in these elections should not lead to him neglecting his religious duties.

And Allaah is the source of strength. May Allaah send blessing and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

http://www.themwl.org/Fatwa/default.aspx?d=1&cidi=167&l=AR&cid=17

For more information please see the answers to questions no. 3062 and 107166.

And Allaah knows best.
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by maclatunji: 12:42pm On Nov 07, 2012
^So tbaba can run for office tongue cheesy
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by LagosShia: 1:04pm On Nov 07, 2012
I laugh at those muslims cheering for obama just because he's black.both romney and obama are sponsored by the same masters to run.obama is just a lion picture in the white house.I really sometimes feel bad when I hear his middle name "Hussain".what a waste!innocent Muslim civilians still get killed daily by unmanned drones in yemen,pakistan and afghanistan.the US is promoting a zionist agenda in Syria clamouring for regime change and arming terrorists in a civil war that have killed thousands of syrians including government officials of a sovereign country.just about a week ago Sudan got bombed by israeli jets with silence from the west and a nod of approval.bahrain with a dictatorship is hosting the US navy while saudi forces brutally suppress peaceful pro-democracy protesters in bahrain.the threats,blackmail and sanctions continue against Iran for taking an independent course away from western dictates.libya got invaded and its ruler (however unpopular) was brutally killed to the cheer of hilary clinton live on tv.

So as a muslim,why should I care who sits in the white house when he can really make no change? In fact obama's skin and heritage is been abused for zionist propaganda in the western media.

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by tbaba1234: 1:06pm On Nov 07, 2012
^ I am about to write a thread about that now....
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by siddiq202(m): 1:18pm On Nov 07, 2012
I need to change my "no to elective positions" to something else grin

I checked the link and everything is in Arabic...can females also participate (that is contest)?
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by deols(f): 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2012
I really like that this is being discussed.

I dont care too much about who gets into d white house esp.after realising that my support for his 1st time was of no benefit 2 me nor 2 my interests.

But it is very good to know and appreciate the need for Muslims to take part in decision making wherever they are.

I remember a pre election period in Nigeria when Muslim organisations were very much involved in asking people to go out and exercise the right to vote. It was amazing 2 find out that some Muslims think democracy is unIslamic and would not take part in it.

1 Like

Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by BetaThings: 5:39am On Nov 13, 2012
tbaba1234:

(iii) The Muslim’s participation in these elections should not lead to him neglecting his religious duties.

And Allaah is the source of strength. May Allaah send blessing and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

And Allaah knows best.

The problem is the bolded part. Will a muslim who is very religious become more religious if he gets elected into office. Doubtful?
Will he relax his positions on some issues so as not to be seen as fanatical (say on same sex marriage)?
And will some people not even rally muslims round their ticket on the promise that they would serve the interests of muslim only to later sell out?

In Nigeria, local government officials are often accused of sharing allocation money amongst themselves. If a conscious muslim becomes a member of the group can he continue to function if he refuses to join his colleagues in that practice. If he does not share they might believe that he plans to give them away sometime in the future and his life might be threatened.

The fatwa is really a work of compromise. It is not an easy decision
And we should remind ourselves that not everyone can stand firm. So public office is not for all

May Allah strengthen us

1 Like

Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by maclatunji: 8:28am On Nov 13, 2012
^Well said! We shouldn't fool ourselves, a lot of us rationalise our shortcomings even when we know we can do better.
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by dilbert100: 12:26pm On Nov 16, 2012
exactly.
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by jude33084(m): 12:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
So far so Ǧ☺☺ϑ on the tread grin
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by bitingcool: 3:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
May I deviate a lil, nobody wan comment cos muslim matter be like prickly pear, b4 u comment all of them go bring out lebe and dagger ready to defend mohammed. If u are confident of who you serve, who freaking defend him. He doesn't need your voltronic powers. Wats d ish with the regulations. The association no go put food for muslims table when kasala burst. Best y'all use ur head and not some relugious resolution.'Nuff said
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by BetaThings: 11:41pm On Nov 16, 2012
biting cool: May I deviate a lil, nobody wan comment cos muslim matter be like prickly pear, b4 u comment all of them go bring out lebe and dagger
On Nairaland?

biting cool: May I deviate a lil, nobody wan comment cos muslim matter be like prickly pear, b4 u comment all of them go bring out lebe and dagger ready to defend mohammed. If u are confident of who you serve, who freaking defend him. He doesn't need your voltronic powers. Wats d ish with the regulations. The association no go put food for muslims table when kasala burst. Best y'all use ur head and not some relugious resolution.'Nuff said

Heed your own advice

biting cool: May I deviate a lil, nobody wan comment cos muslim matter be like prickly pear, b4 u comment all of them go bring out lebe and dagger ready to defend mohammed. If u are confident of who you serve, who freaking defend him. He doesn't need your voltronic powers. Wats d ish with the regulations. The association no go put food for muslims table when kasala burst. Best y'all use ur head and not some relugious resolution.'Nuff said
Now that you have commented, has your life been threatened? Of course not! Meaning that you are just spreading hate
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2012
Why should a muslim vote for a keferi law,manyof the laws are against Allah's wish,am sorry, i will never do so,except on gunpoint,eventhen
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by LagosShia: 10:27pm On Nov 17, 2012
Sister Uplawal,assalam alaikum!

How are you? Your presence is greatly missed.I lost details of my email address we used to communicate through.I hope your and your husband and family are all great and well.
Re: Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
Asalamu Alaykum brother Lagosshia,am pleased to tell you me and my family are fine,Alhamdullilahi,av been very busy,its not easy to be a wife and a mother,may Allah ease it,amin,hope you are good too and every muslim on nairaland,do take care,Jazakallahu khair.

(1) (Reply)

Happy New Year 1430 / Norway Muslims Protest Prophet Pig Cartoon / Lailatul Qadr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.