Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,770 members, 7,831,476 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? (3090 Views)

Is It Right For Married People To Go Clubbing ??? / 6 Arguments All Married Couples Have / Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by leonshom(m): 12:14am On Sep 22, 2013
Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not?
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by dacrystal01(m): 12:43am On Sep 22, 2013
Ask google
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by leonshom(m): 1:01am On Sep 22, 2013
Better kip mute if u aint got anytin gud to say !
dacrystal01: Ask google
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by mysticgal(f): 1:32am On Sep 22, 2013
A big NO,not even a joint buisness venture,no matter how much you're in love with your spouse,just to avoid,greed,murder,heartbreak e.t.c,just my view.....my three kobo
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 22, 2013
mysticgal: A big NO,not even a joint buisness venture,no matter how much you're in love with your spouse,just to avoid,greed,murder,heartbreak e.t.c,just my view.....my three kobo

shocked shocked grin grin

Rotfl!

2 Likes

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by bellong: 8:10am On Sep 22, 2013
mysticgal: A big NO,not even a joint buisness venture,no matter how much you're in love with your spouse,just to avoid,greed,murder,heartbreak e.t.c,just my view.....my three kobo

why would you marry someone you can't trust living all your days in bondage of fear?

1 Like

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Rhythm(f): 8:52am On Sep 22, 2013
Depending on the person you marry
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 22, 2013
No..... I can assist financially but capital NO
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 22, 2013
Irrespective of the trust n love n every other thing associated with a happy marriage, having a joint account is not advisable, at least I wouldn't do it buh in situations where I av to do it out of love or for any other reason, I'll av another account that's personal for future purposes....... Cos, we don't know the future n I like mine secured. wink
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by EfemenaXY: 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2013
leonshom: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not?

It really depends on the couple's situation and what works best for them and their home.

If you've got bills that need to be paid on a regular basis, setting up a direct debit so that these are paid out at specific times of the month are best. This way, you don't miss on any payments or incur fees or charges for late payment.

Now if the couple both work and have both hands on deck towards payment of those bills, then it makes perfect sense that they have a joint account to this effect. I know this might sound strange to some, esp. Naija folks with myopic Nollywood views that a married man must die from carrying all the financial responsibilities himself + look after the woman's petty needs + train her entire family, even though the woman in question might be working.

Anyone who thinks having a joint account with their spouse is wrong based on the fact that the spouse might "do one" on them, has no business getting married in the first place, seeing as TRUST, the basic foundation for any good marriage is missing.

1 Like

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 22, 2013
Efemena_xy:

It really depends on the couple's situation and what works best for them and their home.

If you've got bills that need to be paid on a regular basis, setting up a direct debit so that these are paid out at specific times of the month are best. This way, you don't miss on any payments or incur fees or charges for late payment.

Now if the couple both work and have both hands on deck towards payment of those bills, then it makes perfect sense that they have a joint account to this effect. I know this might sound strange to some, esp. Naija folks with myopic Nollywood views that a married man must die from carrying all the financial responsibilities himself + look after the woman's petty needs + train her entire family, even though the woman in question might be working.

Anyone who thinks having a joint account with their spouse is wrong based on the fact that the spouse might "do one" on them, has no business getting married in the first place, seeing as TRUST, the basic foundation for any good marriage is missing.

Where av u seen in any marriage , especially in Nija where the husband trains the wife whole family ?... Some people can just extragerrate unnecessarily...or where av u seen in a marriage , where the husband will fulfill all the wife petty needs?... If u don't know, human are insatiable in nature, so fulfilling all petty needs, shudnt be mentioned at all....Trusting ones spouse , does not categorically mean, both must have joint account...Trust is trust....I don't need to save money jointly with my spouse to prove that i trust him... Some women will still have joint account with their husbands, but there's still no trust in their homes...
So what's the big deal... If a wife or a husband does not want joint account , it's a personal thing...it's not about Trust or no trust.
Pls lets get our facts right and speak for ourselves indiviually not generalizing that its Nija way to be myopic in their homes..how many Nija homes have u studied or lived within them to know how we handle our everyday life.
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by EfemenaXY: 6:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
Amelian:

Where av u seen in any marriage , especially in Nija where the husband trains the wife whole family ?... Some people can just extragerrate unnecessarily...or where av u seen in a marriage , where the husband will fulfill all the wife petty needs?... If u don't know, human are insatiable in nature, so fulfilling all petty needs, shudnt be mentioned at all....Trusting ones spouse , does not categorically mean, both must have joint account...Trust is trust....I don't need to save money jointly with my spouse to prove that i trust him... Some women will still have joint account with their husbands, but there's still no trust in their homes...
So what's the big deal... If a wife or a husband does not want joint account , it's a personal thing...it's not about Trust or no trust.
Pls lets get our facts right and speak for ourselves indiviually not generalizing that its Nija way to be myopic in their homes..how many Nija homes have u studied or lived within them to know how we handle our everyday life.

I don't have to do a case-by-case study of, or live in Nigerian homes to know that trust is a fundamental issue with many women when it comes to money / financial matters.

Enough awful threads about spouses bemoaning their fates are opened up here alone in the family section on a daily basis. Many of you Nigerian women believe that having a joint account with your spouse is akin to laying all your eggs in one basket - to the point that if he dies, then his family would storm in, and take the man's property under the guise of "my brother's property" and leave the woman and kids bereft of anything...and left destitute. Abi na lie I talk?

As per the man being forced to foot all the bills + give his wife "pocket money" + train her entire family...that's an open secret so please don't even go there with me. That scenario is very common in the extended family set up where you see the woman's family upping sticks and living in the man's matrimonial home.

Or am I wrong on that assumption?

You Nigerians living in Nigeria have a long way to go. A very long way...

1 Like

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Princesszoe: 6:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
If i am to speak for myself, i will not and cannot maintain a joint account with my spouse except if God stands against it.
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Sep 22, 2013
@ Efemea ,You are very wrong in those assumptions...yea , there are faulty marriages worldwide,not only in Nija... And some people do take advantage of other people ,if one is in a Low position... likewise some spouses go thru terrible experiences,if the man dies... But it's not only linked with Nigeria alone....the only difference in Nigeria and abroad is the Laws governing and protecting women rights, there....that's the only difference...if not, worst scenario can also occur in family units there... And cases of in laws coming to take over their brother account or properties will not easily occur there...
If a wife or husband , do not want joint account..? It's no crime whatsoever... And there shud be no emotional blackmail attached to it....thereby saying , ha! you don't trust me.... Cos that's d exact answer a cunning person will give in-return, If the joint account is not agreed on, by both couple..
Remember that assumption is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by LewsTherin: 6:44am On Sep 23, 2013
I run a joint account with my Lady. The bulk of our family's savings goes into that account. Either of us has the right to sign on that account at anytime.
I married a good woman and God knows I have enough respect for God and her to be as mich as possible a good person. So I have no worries about the "security" of my future.
Before O forget, she manages the family finances. And life is gooooooooood.

By the way, I live in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by mccloud224(m): 8:31am On Sep 23, 2013
Isn't it funny how ladies sing about "love and trust" yet most people who welcome the idea are guys?
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Glamglam(f): 12:44pm On Sep 23, 2013
i would have love too but when you marry a guy that have so many secrets, you refrain yoursself from such joint ventures. You never know what they are planning - these men.
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 23, 2013
it takes an incredible level of trust and commitment for a couple to have a joint a/c.

I mean whats d guarantee that either spouse will not secretly open a personal acct and start syphoning common funds there.
and also giving acct of money spent will likely cause suspicions or dissatisfaction of individual spending patterns. hussy will be like:

"Sade are you sure d 20k you withdrew was used to buy yet another pink bag?," while Sade goes " thats selfish of you Chidi to complain of only 20k I spent, while you gave your sister 50k last week for some frivolous reason. and by the way how do I know its really her you gave d moni?"

ideally its the right thing to do but realistically I dont see feasible.

as for me o, keep yours while I keep mine. we can only operate the joint acct for certain projects or expenses e.g sch fees or building.

marriage as it is is already laden with so much frictions that adding finances to it will compound the problems.

2 Likes

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by riyageh(f): 5:50pm On Sep 23, 2013
leonshom: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not?

Every marriage is different.

I have 2 joint accounts with my husband. I think it is too much work to maintain a personal account, that's just me and i have been married 13 yrs. I think it is easier for me to do this because i grew up in a home where all personal accounts were joint and the only other account was a business account that they both had access to. I always thought that was the norm until i expanded my horizon and learned that many couples have 1 joint account for expenses; others do not have any joint account. A good friend once told me "do what works for you."
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by counsellorchee: 4:20pm On Sep 24, 2013
Opening a joint account requires wisdom and maturity from both parties. It also depends on the mindset of both parties involved. If there is openness and agreement, then they can proceed. If there is a form of mistrust, then the idea should be discarded totally. For instance, if the woman believes "money was made to be spent so keep spending", such woman should not be a signatory to the account or if the man is a womaniser, then there is no point venturing into it. The joint account philosophy is not a one-size-fits-all one. Appraise your marriage, if it can work for you, go right ahead! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by thatchic: 12:02am On Sep 25, 2013
There is no marriage without trust and commitment.
My eyes don open for NL. Couples claiming to be married with no commitment and trust. Joint account now leads to murder. Which begs the question, exactly how much is in the bank account? I guess making your spouse your life insurance beneficiary will get you assassinated in one week or less.
I better inspect this warm Theraflu my husband just gave me, before he sends me to the great beyond.

°°°mixedchic°°°:
it takes an[b] incredible level of trust and commitment [/b]for a couple to have a joint a/c.

I mean whats d guarantee that either spouse will not secretly open a personal acct and start syphoning common funds there.
and also giving acct of money spent will likely cause suspicions or dissatisfaction of individual spending patterns. hussy will be like:

"Sade are you sure d 20k you withdrew was used to buy yet another pink bag?," while Sade goes " thats selfish of you Chidi to complain of only 20k I spent, while you gave your sister 50k last week for some frivolous reason. and by the way how do I know its really her you gave d moni?"

ideally its the right thing to do but realistically I dont see feasible.

as for me o, keep yours while I keep mine. we can only operate the joint acct for certain projects or expenses e.g sch fees or building.

marriage as it is is already laden with so much frictions that adding finances to it will compound the problems.
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Gorgeous4lyf(m): 1:25am On Sep 25, 2013
I think the joint account is ok..but it depends on the couple..For it to be effective and useful to the couple there must be absolute trust, openness, sincerity between them. It must be something that both of them must completely agree on..U must know ur spouse oh, so u don't start something that may cause friction tomorrow
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 2:19am On Sep 25, 2013
I've watched my parents do it all my life and there's been no qualms. I didn't like d part where i cannot get pocket money first from daddy nd den anoda one from mummy sha embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

So, yes, i'll do it with my husband. If i can't trust him with my money, den, der's no point being der anywayz.
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 25, 2013
@thatchic....babez it aint dat bad!

grin grin grin
Re: Is Joint Account Good For Married Couples OR Not? by Popowaa: 10:30pm On Sep 25, 2013
I will keep a joint account with my husband when i marry.And 60/70% of our monthly salary will go in there for house keeping and paying the children bills while both of us keep the remaining percentage in our personal accounts which will be used for personal stuff likes clothes,pads,panties and any other thing we might need so none of us have any excuse to withdraw form the joint account.

(1) (Reply)

I Have A Nagging Wife / My Life,my Mistakes,not Your Business...really? / Things Every Mom is guilty Of Doing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.