Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,872 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? (1456 Views)

Anti-christian And Anti-religious Memes!!! / Maybe We Should Ignore Atheists/anti-christian Threads / Your Word For Today - Bible Verses That Inspire The Atheist/Anti-Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:43pm On Sep 25, 2013
I know the write up is long, but worth it. kiss

As Christians, the two things we can do to stand up for Christ are to live according to His Word and grow our own knowledge of Him. Christ said; in (Matthew 5:16)

“ In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

This means that we should live and act in a way that supports the gospel.

We should also arm ourselves with knowledge, both of the gospel (Ephesians 6:10-17) and of the world around us.

First Peter 3:15 says; “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”

All we can do is live and teach as Christ would and let Him take care of the rest.

Critics of Christianity have become more vocal recently. This is partly because there are many people who do not believe in God or understand the truth about Him at all. Yet the apparent increase of anti-Christians is also due to perception. As with many topics, those who truly despise Christianity are the loudest and most vocal of the non-believers. The vast majority of those who do not believe don’t care enough to bother believers. The few angry, vocal, bitter unbelievers make enough noise to seem more numerous than they are.

The typical insult from the non-religious crowd is to refer to believers as “ignorant,” “stupid,” “brainwashed,” or to otherwise suggest that those who have faith are less intelligent than those who do not.

When a Christian stands up intelligently for his faith, the terms change to “bigot,” “extremist,” or “zealot.” When people who know that the believer is kind and loving hear this, the atheist starts to look like the fool that he or she is (Psalm 53:1).

Most non-believers have no personal reason to see Christians negatively, but they sometimes hear so much from the loud anti-Christians that they just assume it is so. They need examples of Christ-like living to see the truth.

Of course, when someone claiming to be a Christian says or does something that is not Christ-like, the angry, loud crowd is there to identify him as a typical religious hypocrite. This is something we have been warned to expect (Romans 1:28-30; Matthew 5:11). The best thing to do is to cite a passage of the Bible that speaks against what the person did. And remind the atheists that just because a person says he is a Christian, and even if he thinks he is a Christian, that does not mean that he is. Matthew 7:16,20 tell us that true Christians will be known by their actions, not merely by their profession. And remind critics that absolutely no one lives without sinning at all (Romans 3:23).

An important thing to remember is that no one, no matter how persuasive, can force anyone to believe anything he doesn’t want to believe. No matter what the evidence, no matter what the argument, people will believe what they want to believe (Luke 12:54-56). Conviction is not a Christian’s job. The Holy Spirit convicts people (John 14:16-17), and they choose whether or not to believe. What we can do is present ourselves in a way that is as Christ-like as possible. It is sad that there are many atheists who have read the entire Bible looking for ammunition against Christians, and that there are many Christians who have hardly read the Bible at all.

It’s hard for the angry crowd to accuse a Christian of being a hateful, cruel bigot when that person demonstrates a life of kindness, humility, and compassion. When a Christian can discuss, debate or debunk secular arguments accurately, the label of “ignorant” no longer fits. A Christian who has read the secular arguments and can politely expose their flaws helps to deflate the stereotypes advanced by atheists. Knowledge is the weapon, and it is invincible when we let Christ direct us in how to use it.

4 Likes

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by iamswizz(m): 9:55pm On Sep 25, 2013
Sorry, this write up is not long undecided
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 25, 2013
Nice write up.

Unfortunately,you should be the last one to be writing it seeing as you hav been abusing power and showing bias lately. You do not show the kindnesz or christlike qualities you speak of.

By the way, who do you think insults the other group more? Atheists or christians?
Who do you think treats the other group worse with intolerance? Atheists or christians?

Before you claim the world is anti-christian, why not look at the fact that christianity is the largest religion in the world and that an atheist is 10 times more likely to be discriminated against by christians than vice versa.

A word is enough for the wise....
Stay blessed, sister

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
Anti-christian world.
Better still, anti-God world.

Do everything without complaining and arguing,
so that no one can criticize you.
Live clean, innocent lives as
children of God, shining like
bright lights in a world full of
crooked and perverse people. Philippians 2:14-15

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by tobechi74: 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2013
Women should not ppreach........

Just kidin, nice

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
Aptly said, HBG dear.

@Lb, who is keeping her blessed ehn? grin You go soon turn to pastor o.

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Sep 25, 2013
Thank God for this, God bless you sister HBG

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Dygeasy(m): 11:53pm On Sep 25, 2013
Isn't This Thread A Questioning One?

undecided
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by MrTroll(m): 12:06am On Sep 26, 2013
While i have some issues with the smug arrogant title of this post, i'll let it slide. What i actually want to say is this. . . There are very few Christians here who are able to intelligently debate and debunk secular arguments. All they do is quote the bible and expect to be indulged. I would be hard pressed to see any atheist or non christian debater here calling Anony ignorant. So my good and proper HBG, when some christians are being called ignorant, silly or brain washed it is because they actually exhibit such characteristics. The next time anybody calls you or any christian such names, the most sensible thing to do is ask for evidence of said accusation or label him/her a liar. Yes, many Christians here are quite ignorant and brain washed and the evidence are littered all over this section.

Random: Anti Christian world? Lol, such arrogance.pfft!

3 Likes

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 1:07am On Sep 26, 2013
I think a christian should let people know what they believe. But we should avoid (foolish) arguments and violence.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 26, 2013

And remind the atheists that just because a person says he is a Christian, and even if he thinks he is a Christian, that does not mean that he is.

Funny. Everyone knows how to identify a 'fake' christian. No one knows how to identify the 'true' Christian.

3 Likes

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by ubl6: 5:45am On Sep 26, 2013
Hmm,,anti-christian world indeed. As if the christians themselves do tolerate followers of other religions - especially muslims. Don't you also tag them ‘ignorant’, ‘brainwashed’ and all that you complained of? I pray that you see my comment b4 ur ‘tolerant’ christian mods hide it or ban me just for saying this.

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by UyiIredia(m): 7:55am On Sep 26, 2013
aManFromMars:

Funny. Everyone knows how to identify a 'fake' christian. No one knows how to identify the 'true' Christian.

Yeah. I think a number accussed bolaino of something along those lines.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by UjSizzle(f): 8:20am On Sep 26, 2013
Dygeasy: Isn't This Thread A Questioning One?

undecided
lol just add what you wish to it smiley
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Candour(m): 8:56am On Sep 26, 2013
Nice topic HBG. Let me just add some things

Stop hypocrisy and cover ups. A situation where we refuse to speak up against apparent evil, lies and injustice perpetrated by people hiding under the cover of touch not my anointed only ridicules our claims of being Christlike. We all scream at embezzlement and impunity in public office but defend same when it comes to our favorite MOG. We should hold our brethren and leaders accountable. That is integrity.

Start an aggressive personal bible study. How can you be a good salesman if you don't know your product? Bible illiteracy these days is alarming and the sooner we realise plenty 'leaders' of the faith are happy with the situation (because it keeps folks under subjection), the better for us. The body of Christ needs more Bible teachers today than faith healers.

Update general knowledge. We live in a very sophisticated world now when knowledge about anything is just a click away. How many Christians know about the work of Martin Luther? How many know about the crusades? How many know anything apart from the principles of money making outlined in the latest book by their MOG?

Stop the vanity. After all said and done, Solomon the wise concluded 'all is vanity'. We scream heaven but we do not look like folks who are ready to go. How many of us go to the market and become reluctant to go back home? I guess those with nothing to look forward to at home. That is exactly how we behave and we expect unbelievers to take us seriously when we preach heaven. The preoccupation of the Church with monuments and materialism should stop. The craze to match the secular world brick for brick should stop. We are called to build people, not buildings.

Be true to your calling. Is the sticker on your car preaching a better message than your life? Your life is the most potent message you can give so live it to project Christ. We claim to love God but refuse to extend a simple courtesy to the neighbour you see. Do people find love in our gatherings?

You can't convert any man. That is the job of the Holy Spirit but take heed to

1Peter 2:12
'Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation'

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 26, 2013
Candour: Nice topic HBG. Let me just add some things

Stop hypocrisy and cover ups. A situation where we refuse to speak up against apparent evil, lies and injustice perpetrated by people hiding under the cover of touch not my anointed only ridicules our claims of being Christlike. We all scream at embezzlement and impunity in public office but defend same when it comes to our favorite MOG. We should hold our brethren and leaders accountable. That is integrity.

Start an aggressive personal bible study. How can you be a good salesman if you don't know your product? Bible illiteracy these days is alarming and the sooner we realise plenty 'leaders' of the faith are happy with the situation (because it keeps folks under subjection), the better for us. The body of Christ needs more Bible teachers today than faith healers.

Update general knowledge. We live in a very sophisticated world now when knowledge about anything is just a click away. How many Christians know about the work of Martin Luther? How many know about the crusades? How many know anything apart from the principles of money making outlined in the latest book by their MOG?

Stop the vanity. After all said and done, Solomon the wise concluded 'all is vanity'. We scream heaven but we do not look like folks who are ready to go. How many of us go to the market and become reluctant to go back home? I guess those with nothing to look forward to at home. That is exactly how we behave and we expect unbelievers to take us seriously when we preach heaven. The preoccupation of the Church with monuments and materialism should stop. The craze to match the secular world brick for brick should stop. We are called to build people, not buildings.

Be true to your calling. Is the sticker on your car preaching a better message than your life? Your life is the most potent message you can give so live it to project Christ. We claim to love God but refuse to extend a simple courtesy to the neighbour you see. Do people find love in our gatherings?

'Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation'

Well said!

@ bold...HBG...the words in bold are for you. Behave christlike and maybe atheists wont be annoyed your hypocritical claims of grace and righteousness

2 Likes

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 26, 2013
Mr Troll: While i have some issues with the smug arrogant title of this post, i'll let it slide. What i actually want to say is this. . . There are very few Christians here who are able to intelligently debate and debunk secular arguments. All they do is quote the bible and expect to be indulged. I would be hard pressed to see any atheist or non christian debater here calling Anony ignorant. So my good and proper HBG, when some christians are being called ignorant, silly or brain washed it is because they actually exhibit such characteristics. The next time anybody calls you or any christian such names, the most sensible thing to do is ask for evidence of said accusation or label him/her a liar. Yes, many Christians here are quite ignorant and brain washed and the evidence are littered all over this section.

Random: Anti Christian world? Lol, such arrogance.pfft!
I've replied you in the other thread
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 26, 2013
aManFromMars:

you lie to yourself
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2013
aManFromMars:

Well....It's quite simple!

The way you identify a true believer - a child of God is by his godly character. He lives to please his father by obeying God's words as contained in the Holy Scriptures.

That is what it means to be Christ like.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:50am On Sep 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:

As Christians, the two things we can do to stand up for Christ are to live according to His Word and grow our own knowledge of Him. Christ said; in (Matthew 5:16)

“ In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

This means that we should live and act in a way that supports the gospel.

We should also arm ourselves with knowledge, both of the gospel (Ephesians 6:10-17) and of the world around us.

First Peter 3:15 says; “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”

All we can do is live and teach as Christ would and let Him take care of the rest.

I think this part of the OP sums it up to a certain extent.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:11am On Sep 26, 2013
Hypocrisy.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 26, 2013
Chibuebem: you lie to yourself

Talk about self-projection.

Madam,Tgirl4real, grin long time o..

Tgirl4real:

Well....It's quite simple!

No it isn't.

Tgirl4real:
The way you identify a true believer - a child of God is by his godly character. He lives to please his father by obeying God's words as contained in the Holy Scriptures. That is what it means to be Christ like.

Cool. I take it you are referencing the Bible when you say 'obey GOd's words'.

Can a child of God disobey God's words?
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:19pm On Sep 26, 2013
aManFromMars:

Talk about self-projection.

Madam,Tgirl4real, grin long time o..

No it isn't.

Cool. I take it you are referencing the Bible when you say 'obey GOd's words'.

Can a child of God disobey God's words?

lol.

Howdy!

You wanna drag me into a discussion? grin I'm on NL leave o. grin

Yes, a child of God can disobey God's instructions. But here is the difference, such a person will not be at peace with himself doing so and in no time will repent, hoping he will not return to such sinful act. We all can be tempted, but God expects us to overcome temptation. As children of God, we have the life of God - the word of God on the inside of us that helps us say NO to ungodliness and worldly lust.

An unbeliever on the other hand, does not care if he sins or not. He is accountable to no one.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by prof800(m): 1:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
Candour: Nice topic HBG. Let me just add some things

+1000 likes
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Heathen(m): 6:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
In what way is the World anti-christian?
Self-Persecution much?
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by prof800(m): 7:21pm On Sep 26, 2013
Heathen: In what way is the World anti-christian?
Self-Persecution much?
Don't you think the world is 'anti' everything?

1 Like

Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by Fulaman198(m): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2013
prof800:
Don't you think the world is 'anti' everything?

I think it is, human beings are like that they hate each other for their differences for no reason yet we are all one species.

Yes, Anti-Christians exist
Yes, Anti-Muslims exist
Yes, Anti-Jews exist,
Yes, Haters of blacks, asians, white, latin/hispanic, arabs, etc. exist
Yes, Haters of lower income and higher incomes exist

The world is full of hate, though admittedly, some groups ethnic, religious, etc. experience more hatred than other groups.
Re: How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? by prof800(m): 10:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
Fulaman198:

I think it is, human beings are like that they hate each other for their differences for no reason yet we are all one species.

Yes, Anti-Christians exist
Yes, Anti-Muslims exist
Yes, Anti-Jews exist,
Yes, Haters of blacks, asians, white, latin/hispanic, arabs, etc. exist
Yes, Haters of lower income and higher incomes exist

The world is full of hate, though admittedly, some groups ethnic, religious, etc. experience more hatred than other groups.
EXACTLY.!

(1) (Reply)

Pics: Pastor Chris In "Holy Swag" / Jesus Was An Ugly Man Compared To Satan / ‘better To Give To The Poor Than To Your Pastor’;?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.