Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee (3882 Views)

Marrying A Pastor; A Blessing Or A Curse / Marrying A Divorcee And Divorce Is A Sin. Why Are The Jw's Encouraging It? / The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Woged2005(f): 5:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
Acelifted:

Woged2005- the fact that God hates it makes it bad enough to qualify as sin. The truth is that God does not send people to hell at the slightest snap of the finger. Heaven is a gift to mankind. So it is not a card he flashes from time to time. Though if you take His grace for granted, you could loose that. But God permitted it in the old testament because of the rigidness of the their heart. God's cannot afford to entertain this form of compromise in this dispensation because the stakes are too high. More so, grace now much more abound to be able to bear up the challenges of living with the weaknesses of one another and overcoming the pressure of fleshly desires.

Therefore, that God permitted then does not mean it is not a sin. He hates it! If He hated then, He still does now. And we have less excuse because of grace that now abounds. The way to access this grace by humility and honesty of heart.

Please where in the Bible did God in his own word say He hates divorce? (not implied statement).

God doesn't change. He could not have condoned something in the old testament and suddenly change to something else to accommodate people. I still have to repeat that 'Sin' is breaking one of the ten commandments. There are things that make you lead a good Christian life and prevent you from committing sin, however, they are not sins in themselves. Eg a women wearing a see-through dress to church is not a sin (God created us nude anyway). However if that will distract other xtians looking at her & lead them to temptation, then we encourage her to cover up, as a good xtian not because it's sin. Divorce could lead to adultery, but divorce in itself is not adultery.
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by tunapa2009(m): 7:23pm On Oct 05, 2013
@woged2005, if you tackling this issue from the religion perspective, then read Matthew 19 vs 2-9, romans 7vs1-3..... That is my take based on the religion perspective..

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Acelifted: 10:15am On Oct 06, 2013
Woged2005:

Please where in the Bible did God in his own word say He hates divorce? (not implied statement).

God doesn't change. He could not have condoned something in the old testament and suddenly change to something else to accommodate people. I still have to repeat that 'Sin' is breaking one of the ten commandments. There are things that make you lead a good Christian life and prevent you from committing sin, however, they are not sins in themselves. Eg a women wearing a see-through dress to church is not a sin (God created us nude anyway). However if that will distract other xtians looking at her & lead them to temptation, then we encourage her to cover up, as a good xtian not because it's sin. Divorce could lead to adultery, but divorce in itself is not adultery.

Malachi 2:16
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Woged2005(f): 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2013
Acelifted:

Malachi 2:16

Malachi 2:16 "For I hate divorce, says the LORD the God of Israel, and covering one's garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So take heed to yourselves and do not be faithless." (Revised Standard Version).

Still waiting for where it's part of the 10 commandment and called a sin. God was angry with Moses when He broke the tablet, did God send him to hell-fire for that? Who doesn't hate divorce for what it does to marriage and children, even the people involved? grin grin
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Woged2005(f): 12:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
tunapa2009: @woged2005, if you tackling this issue from the religion perspective, then read Matthew 19 vs 2-9, romans 7vs1-3..... That is my take based on the religion perspective..

Matthew 19:9 (King James Version (KJV): "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery"

But even the bible gave a condition for divorce, which precludes the person involved from adultery if followed. One thing we need to point out though is that in this modern day, it's mostly women that seek, and file divorce. Are you saying if court serves a man the document to sign, he should refuse and force his wife to remain married? How realistic is that if she has made up her mind to quit the marriage?
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Woged2005(f): 1:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
tunapa2009: @woged2005, if you tackling this issue from the religion perspective, then read Matthew 19 vs 2-9, romans 7vs1-3..... That is my take based on the religion perspective..

I just read those for morning devotion.... grin grin grin sorry for late response. work thinz! grin
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Woged2005(f): 11:18am On Oct 21, 2013
My purpose here is not to justify divorce. Rather to educate people that dating or marrying a divorced person is not a sin because it's not adultery. Sadly in a divorce, obviously the marriage bond had been broken and ended. We are digressing now into whether divorce is a good thing or not. That's not the topic please.
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by pickabeau1: 11:23am On Oct 21, 2013
Good point but if there's a belief that the divorcee is living in sin ab initio, people will be reluactant to date the person

You get?

Woged2005: My purpose here is not to justify divorce. Rather to educate people that dating or marrying a divorced person is not a sin because it's not adultery. Sadly in a divorce, obviously the marriage bond had been broken and ended. We are digressing now into whether divorce is a good thing or not. That's not the topic please.
Re: 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee by Woged2005(f): 12:23pm On Oct 21, 2013
pickabeau1: Good point but if there's a belief that the divorcee is living in sin ab initio, people will be reluactant to date the person

You get?

Most beliefs are based on inadequate information, or lack of it (I refuse to use the word 'ignorance' in order not to insult some people). For instance, in Nigeria some pastors label Children 'Witches and Wizards' and say such children are the cause of their parent's misfortune, which is absolutely half-baked theology if not ignorance of the scriptures. Even Bible made it clear that you must be like a child to even make haven ("let the children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God " (Matthew 19:14) ...so do witches and wizards live in haven? Yet don't you have people believing what the pastors say, abandoning or even killing their children based on such misinformation? I wrote the post to correct such misinformation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

TRUTH: Did Paul Say Women Should Remain Quiet In Church?? / Why Do Most People Call Freemasonry Evil / Be Careful You Don’t Talk Bad Against Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.