Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,726 members, 7,827,640 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) (9475 Views)

Buhari Arrives Nigeria From The China-africa Summit In South Africa (Pics) / Atiku Abubakar Lands In Nigeria Following His Lobbying Trip To South Africa.pics / Abubakar Sani Bello, The Richest Governor-Elect In Nigeria Detected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by chinaman666(m): 8:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
CraigB:

It really is a crying shame. And it's not as if Africa does not produce skilled people. It does, but they would much rather leave to help developed nations further entrench their position atop the food chain.

Africa is not being robbed of its natural resources today. This is nothing that trade and regulation cannot fix (political will permitting). Africa robs itself because it allows corruption and the brain drain to take root. And then in defining its shortcomings, Africa assumes that its problems today are due to the colour of their skin. Well, perhaps that's how the problems started, but that's not how they have been maintained and aggravated. Self-reflection is avoided and problems are externalised. Someone else's success is also trivialised to the extent that it forces the loathed self-reflection.

It's been interesting to see Angola receive expats from Portugal - and Angola today is the third largest economy in Africa by GDP. And it continues to grow as an oil producer. I doubt that Angolans care about the race of the expats.

Attracting talent is the key. And the colour of the talent is irrelevant. Stûpid is the country that wants to turn talent away on the basis that it wants to be "wholly black". Developed countries do not turn African talent away, on the grounds that they want to be "wholly white".

I agree that South Africa does need to do more work. However, after 19 years, there are positive developments, albeit much slower in pace than desired. Missteps along the way, yes. However, I'd say slow steps in the right direction are better than quick steps in the wrong one.

By allowing foreign businesses and foreign talent in a developing country, the potential benefit would be to force indigenous firms and people to compete at a higher level as to meet the higher standards (improved efficiency, organization, professionalism).

However, this is assuming that the indigenous workers and firms are in a position to compete. For many developing countries, this has not been the case, and free market reforms failed to end poverty for the most part.

It is up to the government to protect and incubate the indigenous industries so that they can develop to a point of competitiveness. But it has to be a balance; without any outside competitive pressure, it would be naive to assume that local industries would improve efficiency on its own.

My own take on Nigeria (could be totally wrong, only from what I perceived) is that the government here impose an all-or-nothing approach to protectionism.

The government either protects the industry completely from outside competitive pressure, thus forming a monopoly, for example import restrictions (e.g. pasta or cement) or exclusive import restrictions (e.g. refined gasoline), or allows the Western firms to have its way with no indigenous competition now or in the forseeable future (e.g. oil drilling/exploration).
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 18, 2013
CraigB:

It's not whiteness that brings success. Just responsibility in leadership: which South Africa has.

I would avoid sex and alcohol for one month if you buttress this spurious claim with just ONE example in Sub-Saharan AFRICA (other than the Botswana I mentioned earlier).

I don't need your long circumlocution and subjective self-consolation and excuses. I need only example(s). Thank you sir.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by redsun(m): 11:20pm On Nov 18, 2013
South africa is more or less a whiteman's dream land.Built to their taste and specifications.It is not yet a blackman's land.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 18, 2013
Psychedelia:

Errr... Not quite. Who told you Botswana was "wholly black"? grin
Check their history. They've still got lots of white people running things from the background.

If we're talking about a largely black country with a prosperous streak, that would be The Bahamas.

Well, ignorant me then. Seems the problem is worse than I imagined. If there is no example of "wholly black" development/prosperity in Africa, then we have to ask ourselves serious questions and stop making daft excuses/rationalisations.

If na to dey philosophise and spew sophistry in order to canvass any argument,, na my work be that, trust me. However, since I am not getting paid to do that, I MUST tell myself the bitter truth. I don't lie for free. . . .even to myself.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by redsun(m): 11:26pm On Nov 18, 2013
pro01:

Well, ignorant me then. Seems the problem is worse than I imagined. If there is no example of "wholly black" development/prosperity in Africa, then we have to ask ourselves serious questions and stop making daft excuses/rationalisations.

If na to dey philosophise and spew sophistry in order to canvass any argument,, na my work be that, trust me. However, since I am not getting paid to do that, I MUST tell myself the bitter truth. I don't lie for free. . . .even to myself.

My boy wants to be a lawyer and he thinks practicing lie in real life is part of the build up.Law cou ;Dld be very treacherous.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by Nobody: 12:08am On Nov 19, 2013
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by redsun(m): 12:24am On Nov 19, 2013
Some times what you hear from some of nigerians sounds like what you will hear from white supremists and oyinbo vampires.But the pain in the heart from what it is on the ground can't just stop one from speaking out.

It doesn't have to be like that and i am not ashamed of speaking against because it my pain and shame.

I want to know why it is like that.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by CraigB: 12:29am On Nov 19, 2013
pro01:

I would avoid sex and alcohol for one month if you buttress this spurious claim with just ONE example in Sub-Saharan AFRICA (other than the Botswana I mentioned earlier).

I don't need your long circumlocution and subjective self-consolation and excuses. I need only example(s). Thank you sir.

You are a victim of self-created failure in leadership and of colonisation. You have now bought into the coloniser's story about what you are. And you find comfort in this story of "woe is me, the black person". A pathetic story, really. Not once have you mentioned corruption and mismanagement as the reason for Naai-geria's failure today. You keep talking about race. As it turns out, South Africa has a high score on the Ibrahim Index's public governance measure. Naai-geria has a low one.

Today's overall scores attached below. South Africa and Botswana happen to be above the African average of 50-odd% and are greater than 70% overall - leaving the individual measures aside, for a second.

Where is Naai-geria on the overall score ranking today? You sit at 43% - well below the African average.

Take responsibility for your failure as a country and stop externalising it to things that you cannot control - like race.

As it turns out still, Southern African countries, which (on average) have a higher score on the Ibrahim Index, also have higher HDI scores on average in SS Africa (indicative map attached). Ghana, which is West Africa's shining light on leadership and governance (position 7 on the Ibrahim Index) happens to have a higher HDI score too.

You have been independent for close to 60 years already and you have made billions of dollars out of oil trade (1 trillion naira to be exact) - http://leadership.ng/country/nigeria . What happened to the money? Did it disappear because "you are black"?

1 Like

Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by thewarrior72: 11:56am On Nov 19, 2013
chinaman666:

Why are people so fixated on race? Race does not exist scientifically or biologically. It is a social construct. We are all the human race. People can move and work anywhere in the world as long as they have a valid visa.
Is this the answer to my question ?undecided
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by thewarrior72: 12:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
CraigB:

I see lots of blacks in those pics. Unless, you want to close your eyes to it. I could point them out if you wish. In fact, there are less whites than there are other races in those pics. And this is only the square. Most people are inside or sitting in the restaurants around the square.

By the way, to answer your question: South Africa is a proudly multiracial country. Unique and unfathomable to some.
Bros tell ur self the truth, no single black in those pix & even if there are, there are immigrant workers not souties
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by iterator25: 1:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
redsun: South africa is more or less a whiteman's dream land.Built to their taste and specifications.It is not yet a blackman's land.
the funny thing is, they claim they're one..
I'd be convinced if they can produce a white president
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by zodwaswaggy: 2:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
iterator25: the funny thing is, they claim they're one..
I'd be convinced if they can produce a white president

Ahh what's your point. Having a white president won't make us any more united then most of us already are. We are so over race that if we were to ellect a white president it wouldn't really stand for anything other then that presidents capability to lead the country.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by CraigB: 3:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
the warrior72: Bros tell ur self the truth, no single black in those pix & even if there are, there are immigrant workers not souties

What are you talking about?

Are you going to embarrass all mankind now?
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by CraigB: 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
zodwaswaggy:

Ahh what's your point. Having a white president won't make us any more united then most of us already are. We are so over race that if we were to ellect a white president it wouldn't really stand for anything other then that presidents capability to lead the country.

Tell him, Zod. They are arguing about race to the wrong nation.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by iterator25: 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
CraigB:

Tell him, Zod. They are arguing about race to the wrong nation.
the one that still kills her white population? Perhaps you've not been reading the news lately
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by CraigB: 4:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
iterator25: the one that still kills her white population? Perhaps you've not been reading the news lately

Perhaps you're reading the wrong news, because I haven't been killed.

And no amount of diversion will detract from the reasons for the failures of Naai-geria as a nation - which failures have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you're black.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by iterator25: 4:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
CraigB:

Perhaps you're reading the wrong news, because I haven't been killed.

And no amount of diversion will detract from the reasons for the failures of Naai-geria as a nation - which failures have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you're black.
http://censorbugbear-reports..com/2013/07/at-least-60-whites-murdered-by-blacks.html?m=1
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by CraigB: 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
iterator25: http://censorbugbear-reports..com/2013/07/at-least-60-whites-murdered-by-blacks.html?m=1

1. I don't read blog links which aren't backed up by arguments.

2. I haven't been killed by South African blacks.

3. What this waste of time has to do with the richest square mile in africa is nothing.

You're wasting everyone's time with this uselessness of a post.
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by iterator25: 5:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
CraigB:

1. I don't read blog links which aren't backed up by arguments.

2. I haven't been killed by South African blacks.
1. http://www.genocidewatch.org/southafrica.html

2. That's your own problem undecided
Re: The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) by CraigB: 6:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
iterator25: 1. http://www.genocidewatch.org/southafrica.html

2. That's your own problem undecided

You're still wasting everyone's time. Do your research before you post stuff. And string together a proper argument while you're at it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FFK: 99% Of Buhari's Supporters Will Kiss His Old Arse If He Wanted Them To / Police Plot To Tackle Shiites In Borno - Premium Times / Alex Ekwueme’s State Burial: FG Inaugurates Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.