Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> (13305 Views)

Short Story Competition / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by OMA4U(m): 11:12am On Oct 01, 2013
It was three days to the biggest wedding ceremony the Lalemians would experience. It was going to be like the King's daughter wedding ceremony that took place a year before. Bewaji was busy in her hut with her best friend, Aarinola, discussing how the event was going to be blissful. Aarinola had had enough responsibilities placed on herself to take care. No one was as close to Bewaji as her, even her mother. She was about to leave when a black young boy knocked and said" hello, the king of this hut."

"Welcome, our honourable visitor." Bewaji replied and she stood up to meet with her visitor. It was Ige's younger brother. She ushered him in.

Aarinola stood up and wanted to make for her way for home.

"Hope I am not the one chasing you away with my presence." the young visitor quietly inquired.

"Not at all. I was about going when you came." Aarinola replied with a smile, bent under the door of the hut and left. But one thing took over her subconscious; she seemed to have seen the young boy before. May be she could not remember, she wanted not to be bothered. She was hastily going home.

The young boy carried a stool and sat with eased mind. He was tired, trekking twenty kilometers from Fiditi to Lalemi. Aarinola had gone inside to bring out kolanut and palm-wine for her visitor.

"Have these my honourable visitor, it's been ages, hope no problem."

"Yes oh! No problem. My brother, Ige, sent me to you." he said as he gulped down the palm-wine.

"So what's the message? Tell me and let me have a taste of the message." Bewaji said in anticipation. She took another stool and sat at the front of the young boy.

"He said he needed to see you urgently. There is something very important he wanted to tell you."

"But I think he should have told you. Okay, I guess there is secrecy in the message."

“Exactly, aunty Bewaji.” The young boy nodded.

“Okay, tell him I would see him tonight. But I will not stay long. He knew I am getting married in three days time” She said.

“Thanks, aunty Bewaji. Let me be going.” He said as he stood up. Bewaji saw him off to her door.

Without a second set of eyes, Bewaji had concluded in her mind. She would go there without the consent of anyone except the omnipresence supreme creator.

Ige was a child born with the legs coming out first. He was a dark and hefty handsome man. Ige and Bewaji had dated for years and they were so much in love with each other. But unfortunately they could not get married because of the quarrel that had occurred between the Lalemians and Fiditians over many acres of land before they were born. The quarrel led to a mighty war that made the two towns developed an unquenchable hatred for each other.
Bewaji had made Ige understand that their relationship could only result in nothing, and nothing more. So why wasting their precious days? Ige had accepted since he knew there was nothing he could do to change that. Their departure was a painful one, but with the mischievous plans Ige had harboured in mind now, their final departure was going to be an endless pain for Bewaji to nurse forver.

As Bewaji came into his hut on that very night, Ige knew he had no time to waste anymore. Bewaji had seated believing she was as safe as tortoise under its shell. She had entrusted him with all her life, and despite their departure, nothing has changed her trust for him. Besides, Ige never painted a doubtful mind of himself into her heart.

Ige that was lying on his back on a goat skin had quickly got up. He rushed up to her. Bewaji was flabbergasted at his way of cuddling him this time around. It was very unlike him. Bewaji tried resisting him, and asking if he was out of his mind. He came deceptively, and so unprepared was Bewaji for the passionate thrust which followed that she screamed, so piercingly. She was even surprised at her own voice. How could one's body betray one? She should have got up and run, but something was holding here there. Not before long, Ige had made his way in getting her laid on the goat skin with her legs setting apart.

"Ige, you are tearing me into two." she said with a tiny voice, until she melted and could say no more. She felt him inside her. It hurt her to the highest degree.

She wept and the sobs was trying to suppress shook her whole being.

"Do you think I am a fool? After wasting away my years to be the first to lay with you and enjoy the untouched fruit, you left me for someone else. You think you are smart, but now I have outsmarted you." Ige said with a mixture of fulfillment and unfulfilment. But at least, he achieved his ferocious aim.

"You have satisfied yourself, right?" that was Bewaji's only statement and she left in agony.

Bewaji was alone in her room, wailing endlessly. "I am doomed. I have put my family to shame and disgrace. Who shall I tell mine? No one". She was bombarding herself with questions and providing unsuitable answers by herself, while Aarinola came in. On the sight of her bosom friend, she quickly rubbed off her tears that rolled down her cheeks.

"Bewaji, what happened? I have been knocking ever since with no response." Aarinola knew something had gone wrong. She bent down close to her side, and pressured her,” talk to me Bewaji, you know I am always there for you."

"Aarin! Aarin! I am doomed! I am no longer a virgin." she said and boom into much tears and pains as the thought of the mischievous acts of Ige raced through her mind.

Aarinola almost tore apart. She could never believe what she was hearing. "How did it happen?" Aarin inquired inquisitively.

"You know when a young guy came yesterday?"

"Yes, I know. Then what?" Aarinola cut in.

"He was sent to me by Ige." Bewaji explained everything to her leaving nothing behind. With tears of pain and regret flowing in her eyes balls, and streaming down face. Enough volume of mucus was streaming down her nose with high viscosity. She cried out her life. It was the worst moment Bewaji ever experienced.

Whosoever saw her perfectly structured body and beautiful face now would not know that she was like the taste of pineapple that makes pineapple sweet, but the pits in it were uncountable. She was now an empty barrel made of beautiful designs outside, but she could keep no water.

Aarinola remembered where she had known the young black boy. She had once gone with Aarinola to pay him a visit when their love was still igniting. She thought for a while, disturbing her gyrated-working brain. Aarinola knew she would, one way or the other, find alternative. Her friend and her family could never be banished while she still had life in herself.

"You will never be disgraced. Trust me, rather than a child of ‘Orunmila’ fallling into dungeon, the lightening would deliver its sent messages. There must be solution" Aarinola said in assurance, patting her on her back and cleaning her gloomy face.

Bewaji believed in her, because she had saved her from many unusual and bad experiences, but not worse like this.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by OMA4U(m): 11:17am On Oct 01, 2013
If a day were selected, it would one day clock; if a month were chosen, it would one day come to past. The night Bewaji was going to her husband's house had come. The families had blessed them with prayers. The fathers of the couple and the male elders were all dressing in green coloured 'agbada' - a large flowing gown that covers from the neck to ankle and from the left wrist to the right wrist. Young men were dressing in 'buba' - a loose and roomy top that was shorter and smatter that the 'agbada', and 'sokoto' - a roomy garment like a pair of pants with an elastic band to tie it at the waist. The women were dressing in 'aso-oke' with 'gele' to complement it. The bride was dressing in a navy blue 'Al'aari' - rich maroon. While the groom in 'sanyan' - a very light brown with strips of cream.
The couple had gone in, and the crowd were awaiting in expectation to see the white handkerchief given to the groom turned red, to prove to them all that the new taken bride was a virgin.
Under the hut of Ajayi, Bewaji began to cry mercifully as she was about to get laid on. It was no surprise to Ajayi, as it was her first time. "Don't be fretted, my wife. It's not going to hurt you. It's something we are both going to enjoy." Ajayi said with seductive voice, loosing the band on his waist.
"No, it's not about that, Ajayi. I have offended, you and your creator. You can no longer meet me at home." She explained how it happened.

"Ah! No! No!, what do you mean? I am not going to allow this. I will expose you to the whole world."
Enough of pleas she had said, and getting close to him, dragging her kneel on the ground, to get hold of his legs tight, and shedding hot tears on him. With the love Ajayi had for her, he could do nothing, but to accept her. His anger melted like shea butter under a scorching sun.
"But what do we do? And how do I convince the people you are a virgin?" He asked, dragging her up to her feet. She placed her head on his chest.

Half an hour had gone. The crowd outside had been waiting impatiently. Ajayi's harsh mother had been knocking rigorously.

Bewaji and Ajayi began shivering, it was becoming no hope for them other than Bewaji to be exposed. As they were pondering, a whispering voice alarmed them through the backyard window, calling "Bewaji!" They thought it was the gods calling; they were engulfed by fears until she said "it's me, Aarin."

Bewaji was stunned at how Aarinola had maneuvered to get there, and what she was up to. Ajayi took four steps forward to the wooden made window.

"What do you want?" He had known her to be his lover's best friend. So there was not much ado.
"Open the window. Be fast, please!" she said as she stole a glance at her two sides if no one was seeing her.

Ajayi opened the window. They couldn't believe what Aarin had done. They were astonished, and gratitude flowed on their faces. She took them away from the tense environment, and replaced it with joy.

"Ajayi, I want you to believe everything Bewaji had told you. Please forgive her." she said, and pointed another red handkerchief that had soaked in a blood to him. She continued,” take this handkerchief and show them when it is time." she concluded, and without wasting time, she left there.

Aarinola had gone to meet the butcher while they were slaughtering the cow. She had taken little blood from the dying cow, and soaked the handkerchief in the blood. She showed a high degree of intelligence had she helped her friend out of the misery.

Ajayi believed her. Not only because of what Aarinola told him, but also because he had known Bewaji to come from a decent family. He lay with her, and hurriedly went out to show the crowd that the white handkerchief had turned red.
Everyone dressed so cute, they were all looking elegant. They were accompanied by drums like 'gangan', 'omele', and some other musical instruments to the groom's house. The aroma of 'egusi' and 'efo-riro' - a vegetable mixed with melon, and pounded yam and other foods prepared for the event, had taken up on all sides, and it was perceived by everyone. The drums beat continuously and a loud welcome was made to the bride. Everyone wine and dine, and enjoy the rest of that night.
For many a month, she was respected for her beauty, strong body for the good garden she made for her husband. But gradually the attitude of the people changed. Bewaji could notice people's cold stares, pointing fingers and low whispers. Her thumping hears would not let her sleep. How happy she would be when her reproach would be gone, and she would have children. But the months multiplying into years still saw her walking with empty arms. Her family had taken her to different kinds of herbalist, where she had bathed and drunken different kinds of herbal concoctions in no measure fruitlessly. Until one day, the two families agreed to take the couple to 'Orisha Igbale', where they believe the ultimate solution was.

At the shrine, Orisha Igbale had revealed to the new chief priest that took over from the old chief priest that died some months back. The new chief priest explained what the 'Orisha' had said to the family.

"Orisha Igbale says the couple had committed abomination. There is a secret between them and until it is revealed, the two would be unable to bear children."

Bewaji was going through insanity; her thoughts had made her feel the day and night had been working against her. Her balloon of fears of the unknown was bursting. Her eyes were now gory due to extremely high blood pressure caused by excess of ultimate rage coming from somewhere deep in her past. She knew the beans-cake was about to explode into palm oil. She felt it was time to let know of the hidden deeds they had harboured. At least after much disgrace, she would conceive. She thought as stood promptly in front of the crowd with less courage, and much fears. She explained everything without holding backing anything.

The families were exclaimed at what they had done. It was like a super story to them.

"If this is the case, what do we do, the wise one?" Ajayi's mother asked in hurry to get feedback.

"There is a solution. The only solution is either Bewaji should die or the man who rapped her. One must go. Even if they get married to someone else, it would still be the same. They have committed abomination and they must suffer for it." The chief priest said and left the ugly scene immediately.

In two ticks, the story like a flame of a burning house had spread all over the town. Ajayi's family insisted Bewaji must lay down her life for their son to proceed with his life. They believe she had to die because she was the culprit.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by OMA4U(m): 11:39am On Oct 01, 2013
The case was taken to the king's palace. The families were lying on the mat spread all over the ground at the palace. They all chorused "Kabiyesi o."

The king had known all about the occurrence. He quickly judge Bewaji to lay down his life. He commanded "Bewaji, you are to be beheaded before the sun set. That's my judgment, and no one can use a bare hand to scratch the sharp tooth of my sword." The king surmounted the guards; he ordered them to take her to the 'ogun' - the god of iron - shrine. She was sentenced to death.
The atmosphere seemed to be possessed as the king judge and went in. Bewaji cried bitterly and collapsed into Ajayi's arm. She held Ajayi tight and told him she loved him, but she had to resign herself to fate. While she was taken away, she stared at her parents. "Mama, Papa, I am so sorry for disappointing you".

Ajayi could not withstand this, but he stood option less. Was he going to lose his love just like that? Ilori who was present there hurriedly held Ajayi from falling. Aarin sat on the mat cooking up in her mighty brain how she was going to be saved. She had to prove to Bewaji again, she is worthy to be a friend. The family of Ajayi was neither happy nor sad. Their son would have children as they have him though, but it wasn't pleasing to the eyes, beheading Bewaji. The whole environment filled with undefined wails.

Sooner or later, Aarin thought that what if Ige could die, Bewaji would stay of course. She alerted the depressed husband. Ajayi took that as a good idea, he told Ilori. They all shared it as a brilliant idea. In two ticks, Ajayi had sent a message to his male servants that they should prepare for war.

The servants saw this as a way to show their sincere gratitude to Ajayi. The all got armed. With Ajayi and Ilori leading, Aarinola and the male servants followed.
At the entrance door of Ige's hut in the town of Fiditi. They Fiditians and the entire family of Ige were sober, mourning a brave man that just departed in the mid-night. They were all on blacks. Ige's mother had hit herself to ground countless times, but that was not going to wake his dead son. No one knew what had killed him overnight. It was a grief moment as the Fiditians lost one of their great men, Ige.

Aarinola had directed them so well. They got there, but to their surprised, they met people mourning someone. Their mighty arms of war fell. Aarinola moved closer to ask Ige's youger brother who came to Bewaji's hut then. He told them Ige had died overnight. Aarin looked back at others. Ajayi winked at him, signal her to ask where the corpse was.
She asked they boy quietly. They pretended to be some of his war men that have come to sympathize with the family. He took them in. Under Ige's hut, he was lying down lifelessly. His end has come. Ilori whispered in Aarinola’s ears, “but how do we get his blood?"

"Let's carry him to Lalemi, at the Igbale shrine where the sacrifice would be made. We have to be fast. Bewaji's life was at stake" Ajayi concluded, and Ilori supported him. They carried the corpse in no time, and the male servants surrounded to protect them.

"Where are you taking him to?" Ige's youger brother alarmed the mourners outside. They rushed in to know what is going on. Before they could make any move. The servants had begun shooting up to the sky to scare them away. The smell of gun powder and the stony faces of Ajayi's servant scared the pants off them. They succeeded in carrying his corpse to the town of Lalemi.

Bewaji had been taking to the god of iron shrine, where her head would be cut off. The guards grabbed her roughly and tied her face with a black piece of cloth. Bewaji was enveloped in darkness and fear had overthrown her life. She began shivering. Her head was going to be cut off like a dog. Everyone experienced misfortune at some point in time but the misfortune Bewaji was experiencing now was death. Her head was hung on the two branch short leafless tree at the front of the shrine. The Beheader had come out with his sword in its cord. He removed it out of the cord and asked for the approval of other priests that gathered. He raised up the sword and made some incantations.

Ige's dead body had been taken to 'Orisha Igbale' shrine to get his blood and appeased the god. The chief priest brought out a knife placed beside the shrine, he handed it over to Ajayi. With less time they had in hand, Ajayi had cut Ige and gotten enough blood from him. With a race that had no second part, they all left for the god-of-iron shrine to make it known to them and stopping them from carrying out the barbaric act.

A twinkle of an eye could mean many things, but the one twinkle at Ajayi, Aarinola, Ilori, and the male servants, was the head of Bewaji laying on the ground
Head of Bewaji sprinkling out blood from the lungs. Bewaji had been beheaded. She had gone and never to return. A place of darkness to which all deads go.

The priests present at the god-of-iron shrine said something must have gone wrong. One of the priest that seemed to be in high rank showed them a sign they had placed in the sky - a yellow tiny line that would change to red - if the 'Orisha Igbale had been appeased, but they wondered why there was no sign.
They all went back to 'Orisha Igbale' shrine to inquire what went wrong.

The chief priest consulted 'Orisha Igbale', and it was revealed to them that Bewaji was not deflowered by Ige. She had been deflowered a very long time ago, at the age of fifteen, when she fell stupidly in love with a boy whom her sister was deflowered before marriage. And the entire family of that boy, and the boy himself had been banished.
Ajayi looked up the sky pitifully, he said,” As I got blood from Ige, I thought I have conquered for us a place in the sun – a comfortable place where Bewaji and I would live to enjoy the rest of our lives, unknowingly to me that it was all fallacy. Where am I to begin from?”

“Ajayi Ogidiolu, the one who owns a well everyone comes and fetches water from. Ajayi who takes his bathe in the river and every lady washing at the river bank leave their clothes and run up to. It is true Bewaji is gone, but we have conquered for ourselves a place in the sun where you and I would live forever. I promise to be yours forever.” Aarinola said, as she kneeled down in his front, shedding hot tears.

The chief priest concluded, “It is fate that has brought you together. Go In peace, and get married. Bewaji will be glad in heaven to see you two together, and never to depart.”

4 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by MaziOmenuko: 12:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
<<<<<<<SUBMISSION ENDS>>>>>>>

For comments and observations, go here

https://www.nairaland.com/1441838/short-story-competition/25#18552517

Thank you
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:12am On Oct 04, 2013
Feedback from the Judges.

Please you should all note that the judges are seasoned writers and have done numerous works of literature. They are in no way out for a witch hunt or trying to pull anyone down.

Please take whatever they say and try to improve on it.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:14am On Oct 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Abu Mikey

You've got the illustrative skills. If illustrative skills is the only criteria for nominations, then I would nominate your work a hundred and one times. But its lacking in other areas.

Your work looks unorganized. Your punctuation was irregular and the regular use of quotations created a bumpy read.
Example; instead of representing all parts of a conversation in quotations, you can include them in the body of your work.
Example: Instead of...

"Jesus!!!!!"
Mr.Ojo shouted as he woke up from the terrible dream he just had, "honey,what's wrong?" Ojo's wife asked.
"I had a terrible dream" Ojo responded

Why not...

"Jesus", Mr Ojo shouted as he woke up from the terrible dream he just had. His wife asked what was wrong and he informed her he just had a terrible dream.

You get my point? That way, the reading is smooth and continuous; rather than having unnecessary breakages.

I can recall you saying you were yet to put down a story even few hours to deadline. I thought you were joking, but when I read your work, I knew it wasn't a joke. It looked rushed.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:15am On Oct 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Ruby spice

Your work looks to me like a long poem rather than a short story. The content is a bit poor; there were just two characters, maybe three; a man, his love and an orange tree. You should have taken more time out to develop the characters fully for us to understand the bond created by love between the two.

Since there were no much plots, characters and scenes, there was nothing much to expect from the organization therein. The tense was irregular and the story sounded monotonic. However, I commend your spacing, paragraphing and order of presentation.

Its always difficult to illustrate stories in the first person singular. This has been my method of writing ever since I started writing; and its always difficult. There were areas you would have ventured into if you weren't illustrating in the first person singular. I will give you an instance;

If you had written your work from a narrative perspective, you would have included paragraphs like:

Lora looked confused as she stared at her dad on the sick bed. The doctors had refused further treatment, insisting on an initial deposit of £12. But where will the money come from? There are 6 more mouths to be fed at the house, an angry landlord awaiting his rent and an ageing mum to carter for.
Her thoughts drifted towards Chief Adebayo. He seemed to be the only solution to the present crises; but how will she explain to her love that she must be married to the Chief? How will he understand? He must be waiting for her under the mango tree, singing sweet melodies of love songs...

You see what I mean? By choosing to base your narration on the first person singular, there's no way the narrator will know what is going on in the mind and life of Lora.

However, you have a nice background story, it only needed lots of development from different perspectives.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:17am On Oct 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: T-flow

you flowed effortlessly like you were born to write. The fact that you still used the difficult first-person singular to narrate your work made it more endearing to my heart: its same style I adopted in my writings.

One big advantage you have is that you used real plots and scenes, so its easy for the reader to comprehend; it was actually easier to imagine the entire plot like you painted it. Choosing the uniLag scene won ishilove over. I don't know if it was a calculated attempt, but I'm sure you will have her vote for the finals.

I was almost praying that your story wouldn't come to an end. You've got talent bros, and I can't wait to see you at the next round.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:18am On Oct 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Numero uuno

Your story, journey to greatness was a real journey. Within 2,500 words, you told about a child upbringing, his secondary school and university days, still managed to put a happy ending and a touching footer.

I kept imagining where we're headed to as I read your work. Seems you were trying out a biography within the limited allocation of 2,500 words. You ended up doing a rush-rush work, with no depth.

If you intend to write more often, you have to catch your audience. I read where a judge speculated that it was difficult reading some stories after the first paragraph. Its a general trait for most readers. They don't have that patients to skim through your work, waiting patiently for that happy ending. You have to keep them spell-bound, else, they will ignore your work halfway.

There is always room for improvement, and I believe you will improve greatly.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:18am On Oct 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Plainmirror

I love adventures, and your work was a good one. You wrote with confidence and I liked that. However, I have to point out a little bit of this bump in your work. The occasional use of brackets to indicate side comments or buttress a point doesn't just do it for me. Check out this paragraph of yours;

As a big boy then in SS2 [unity school no be beans naa], I banked my money myself. During ‘break’ periods, I would go to the school canteen with my guys [girls inclusive atymes] and consume some edibles courtesy of my regular sponsoring [ I am d generous type who loves to make people around me happy].

In just one paragraph, you have three of such speed breakers! It doesn't make for an easy read as it distracts the reader from the main work. I love smooth rides when I'm reading.

Your adventure was fun, and you presented it in such a way that the reader would want to jump to the next paragraph to find out what happened next; that's the element of suspense.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:20am On Oct 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Royver

Your story was classic! The first line was perfectly fashioned in such a way to introduce the reader to a promising tale of endless suspense.

Your descriptive prowess is awesome; I could almost picture the akara balls frying in the hot oil. You were also able to give a clue about the old woman's poor background and almost miserable life and still not deviate from the title of the story.

However, I made a little observation. The continuous use of 'She' to start sentences close to each other somehow dulled the reading.

Example: instead of...

She sighed and inspected the bean cakes again. She decided that this would be the last batch. She brought them out of the fire and proceeded to scatter the firewood, allowing the flames to die slowly. She waited for the oil to cool then gently poured it into the container.

We can have something like this;

She sighed and inspected the bean cakes again and decided that this would be the last batch.

You get the drift?

Never believed I would be rooting for a horror story. Yours was a perfect blend of horror, thriller and suspense. Trust me, if you can pull up such a story in the next round, you'll definitely be the contender to beat.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:27am On Oct 05, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Bestluv584

I am forced to believe that you didn't put your best in this work. Your presentation was too casual, you made lots of typographical errors, you used some informal writing techniques like using '2' for 'to'.

You didn't care much about spacing and paragraphs, neither did you bother developing your plots.

Your story reminds me of those tales by moonlight stories on national tv.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:29am On Oct 05, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Sammy Hoe

It took me a great deal of energy to read your work. This is not unconnected to the numerous dosages of grammar found only in oxford dictionary of advanced english. Trust me, you don't need people reading your work with a dictionary by their side; its a joy-kill.

Your adventure was well planned and well delivered. It had a foreign setting and plot that left me wondering who your intended audience was; obviously not we the judges nor the fans reading your work here at Nairaland either.

You will make a great author writing for foreign tabloids.

By-the-way; I had to google your work to confirm its originality. I saw a work with the same title at amazon. Couldn't open it, but my instincts told me it could be a coincidence, so I let it be.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:33am On Oct 05, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Nuges11

Nice story. The flair of delivery was awesome, the illustration was delivered in a plain and simple manner. It was easy to read, fun and entertaining. Apart from the dream scene, you were still able to create more scenes like the Omenuko Grammar school, the neighborhood etc.

It was rich in characters, plots and scenes, at a point, I was scared you would mix them all up and make the story complicated; but you didn't.

I enjoyed your story, and I'm pretty sure the audience did also, as seen in the number of 'Likes' you garnered.

Inasmuch as you were able to string together all the characters you created, it would have been better if you had kept it simple. I didn't see the need for the first paragraph - The Manutd vs Barca dream. However funny it was, it definitely didn't play an active part in your story.

You've got it in you.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:35am On Oct 05, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Nastydroid

Check the recommendations I made for
Abu Mikey and
Always put paragraphs in your work, it makes for an easy read.

The first paragraph in a story matters a lot. You have to put some essence of the story into your first paragraph so the reader will have the suspense needed to read your work.

Example; from your work, it would have been fun if you included a statement like:

Encountering armed robbers while on the road is not a funny experience. I experienced such on my way to Akure and I almost fainted right inside the bus.

Gerrit?
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:36am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: O
THE MAN WITHIN

By Miss Fibre

Great fantasy piece, but when I read fantasy, I expect suspense, a theme that will catch my fancy. Work well plotted but the climax was not that fancy, it didn't move me at all, though the solution was ok. I guess it has to do with your theme in the first place.

A short story has to accomplish its purpose in relatively few words and sister you need to pull up your socks.

Spacing is on point, paragraphing is also great and your use of dialogue is superb, you just need to put more effort, and pay attention to plurals and singulars, also work on your punctuation.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:37am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: MY TRAVEL ADVENTURE

Plainmirror

Great story, reminds me of a bus journey to mugai or something. Your work however shows that you do not read. Please read as much as you can because there is potential here. I stopped using the red line but you will see where your mistakes are when you compare your work with the edited one.

Your diction didn't catch my fancy, you clustered words together in one paragraph, you failed to put quotation marks in your dialogues, you failed to skip a line or atleast a new paragraph to indicate a change of speaker. Your work was confusing!!

One more thing, your epiphany got me, atleast you found a solution.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:38am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: The haunted road

By Royver

Boy you are the bomb, I had to check you profile, sad but you don't have a lot here on nl right? I am your fan, I was hooked from the starting line to the last full stop. well done.

The antagonist got what was coming, foolish idiot, your description of the protagonist and the former was vivid and capturing. Pay attention to how you arrange your dialogue though, because it plays a major part in a story.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:40am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: What lurks in the dark

WHAT LURKS IN THE DARK!
(2,500 words)
By kslib...
In Africa we have types of scary stories but I am yet to read a vampire story, even if its just in a dream. Pardon my ignorance but your workundecided

All iz not well my brother.

Spacing, I was like this before. I submitted my script without spacing and it was among the ones that ended in a trash bin. I was told plainly if I want to make it in writing I should go and read first.

I guess the climax is when Mike was bitten on the neck right? Your pesuasion didn't really do it for me. Somethings need to be believeable, how can a guy, go to another guy's house because he couldn't sleep

Description; Madam Ishi's lessons have really paid off, I doff my head when it comes to her descriptive prowess. Good job there.

Dialogue, please google how to do right by it, you are still lacking.

Repetion of words, its a no, no in one paragraph. I believe you can do better if you put effort and READ.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:41am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Search for Mona lisa

Sammyhoe

Can I call you BigEnglish? Like the one in Iyawo Nylon bag? lipsrsealed

Your work potrays what this competition is about, your a great craft-man because you crafted your story well, took your time to give me something that helped to increase the level of my vacab. grin

Good job but bear in mind that most times if a reader is reading for pleasure, when s/he gets too many big words clustered in a paragraph s/he looses interest in reading the whole thing.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:42am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: SOON TO BE MRS ADEBAYO

Rubyspice

This my dear killed the whole story. You mixed tense in a way that disappointed me, because I loved your work. But you couldn't maintain the tense choice, that's why I advice people to always write in past tense when narrating. Its easier that way.

You could have been in my top five but just one paragraph and I couldn't overlook the mistake. Hope you do better next time. smiley
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:43am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: PINKY SNICKETS: SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS.

By Nuges11.

angry Romantic comedies always rank tops to me. Though you followed suit with the dream kinda thingy, which I had to admit got me yawning. You scored points with your prose, and you have already set high standards for yourself I hope you will maintain your position?

Please send me a link to your current story if there is any, your work makes me laugh which is good for my health. cheesy
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:44am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: A JOURNEY TO AKURE

By Nastydroid

My darling, go and read, actually if you want to make it in this wild, wild west, study literary works. Dialogue, a huge disaster. Plot, you did your homework and so was with the theme. The story was good but an epic failure in english literature.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:45am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: <Two wrongs >

By Sambroose.

You know what killed this great African work? You have a great theme, great persuasion and a theme that catched my fancy but your ignorance ruined everything. Please study literary works, that will help in improving and on how to write a short story. I felt like I was reading a poem.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:46am On Oct 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Dark Chocolate

By t-flow

You young man, got it all right, except the points you might have scored with madam Ishi. Great piece there, dark chocolata....just the way I like it. tongue

The Journey to greatness.

By Numero

Touching story Numero, however try working on tense and dialogue.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:46am On Oct 05, 2013
Omolola1: THE MAN WITHIN
Miss_Fibre

I loved the theme of your story. The first paragraph alone caught me. In the first paragraph alone, you made your readers know the tragic occurrence that had befallen the character and so I wanted to read more. I loved your use of the English Language and your descriptive style is ALMOST Excellent.
Your use of paragraph is wonderful, the dialogue is also very clear and understandable.

However, the end of the story was a bit confusing. - - - Was Ezegamba dreaming from the start?
- Why did he want to question his creator if he was only dreaming?

The man was face-to-face with himself at the end of his journey, meaning the creator is man as pointed out in your story and he had his destiny in his hands, what then was the purpose of his journey, or rather, why did he embark on the journey? That aside, the message was clear and I liked it.

I really, honestly can't fault your story because the organization and the content of the story was well laid out. You just need to improve on your illustrative skills and punctuation. And yes! You write in a poetic kind of way, ever considered poetry?

For a short story and with a fantasy theme, you nailed it. If you qualify to the next round, try and end the story in a not so confusing way.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:48am On Oct 05, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Sambroose

Nice metaphorical story. I enjoyed reading it; sounds more like a beautify prose.

You needed to pay more attention to the paragraphs and spaces. It was clustered, making it a bit difficult to read. Your continuous use of the coma instead of a full stop cannot be overlooked.

Ms Fibre
Your work has already received lots of critique after you submitted it. I hope you learnt a lot from it all.

That's the much I can take; I will let other judges do justice to the stories.

Next>>>> My nominations.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:51am On Oct 05, 2013
Omolola1: MY TRAVEL ADVENTURE
Plainmirror

As a big boy then in SS2 [unity school no be beans naa], I banked my money myself. During ‘break’ periods, I would go to the school canteen with my guys [girls inclusive atymes] and consume some edibles courtesy of my regular sponsoring [ I am d generous type who loves to make people around me happy]. This earned me many friends both male and female; some non beneficiaries of my benevolence branded me a SPOILT CHILD maybe they thought I came from a very wealthy family and to cap it all, I was a title contender in my class [dat kind Manchester united for EPL] LoL .
Despite coming from a middle class family [ we dey chop three square meal daily],

The above put me off totally. In just one paragraph, you committed the following blunders:
- the blunder of adding unnecessary words in brackets
- the blunder of using pidgin in a very wrong way
- the blunder of using 'LOL' ..like seriously? What were you thinking? Did you think you were writing to yourself or for a blog?
The brackets were so not necessary. .
Your dialogue was very poor, I couldn't tell the difference between the dialogue and the narration because the dialogue wasn't punctuated. At a point, I was completely lost.

[ I wondered if dat was d mssg my dad sent but on a 2nd thought, discarded the idea].

Please and please, abbreviation in a story is totally unacceptable. .I might not know the meaning of 'mssg' and then become confused.
When writing in figures, write in words e.g. second, not 2nd, four, not 4. Fifty thousand naira, not N50,000.

It's obvious you don't read because the content of your story and the organization was way below average.
Paragraphing, spacing, narration and your use of english or rather choice of words were really poor. Please improve on your illustrative skills because you have the potentials of being a great writer.

Finally, the title of your story doesn't match with the content. I read your work three times just to know where the adventure was.

An adventure is an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking experience with an uncertain outcome.
It wasn't exciting to me and I really didn't see the outcome of anything. I was even more lost at the end of the story.
Honestly for me, there was no travel adventure.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:53am On Oct 05, 2013
Omolola1: THE HAUNTED ROAD
Royver

Content - Excellent
Illustrative skills - Excellent
Description - Excellent
Plot - Excellent
Dialogue - Very Good
Organization - Excellent
Suspense - Mind-blowing
Use of English - Classic
Should I go on?
Horror, Thriller, Suspense and Action packaged in one short story of 2,094 words!
My God, you are good. You just got yourself a fan. I'm looking forward to reading something else from you.
Do take note of what Mazi pointed out, the repitition of "She." I noticed that too. Asides that, I loved the story.
Can I get an autograph? cheesy
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:54am On Oct 05, 2013
Omolola1: WHAT LURKS IN THE DARK
Kslib

Quote me if I'm wrong. From what I read and understood in the first paragraph, Mike was on his way to Andy (his best friend's) house in the middle of the night...

Mike stepped out and swung the gate back to its position with reckless abandon,causing the gate to make a loud bang.
"Geez', he poked his bottom with his fingers, serving as penance for what he just did as the 'bang' echoed its-way up the sky and the street beyond.
"Hope i didnt wake you guys", he smiled looking left-right..
"Not my fault, folks, blame it on this loud mouthed gate", he said in a sarcastic tone as he raised up both hands in surrender to the air.

Where was he when the above conversation took place? In Andy's house already?
Who was he talking to?

It took me a while to understand that Mike was still within his compound, which made me wonder who he was talking to when he said "Hope I didn't wake you guys." Was he talking to himself? Because if he was, you didn't tell.

You constantly made the mistake of writing "Mike" as "mike". Try to proof-read your work before submitting next time.

He shook his head and made a 'yimu' mock with his mouth.

I laughed when I read the above. What is yimu? I might not know the meaning of yimu, some other person might not know the meaning either. Understand that you are writing to a larger audience, you should never leave them confused at any point in time. Instead of 'yimu', you could have used something like 'funny.'

The storyline is okay though. I would have really loved if it didn't end up been a dream. I already knew that was where you were heading to since Mike never got to Andy's house, so I wasn't disappointed when I got to the end of the story cheesy

This is your punishment for distracting my night's read, Martha teased as she(who was 3years older) gave her younger brother mike(who just turned 21, two days ago),"a tongue out"...
She winked at mike(who was now sobbing like a baby and looking like a scared rat).
Martha shook her head in victory-- she finally defeated the almighty mike who never admitted to being scared of the dark.

The above wasn't necessary. Fine, you wanted to give us details about your characters, you wanted us to know their age, but what significance was Martha and Mike's age at that point in the story?
I want to know...because I didn't get that part.

You could have just said:
Martha teased as she made jest of her younger brother, Mike who was now sobbing like a baby. . .

With a little push, you would do better. It was nice.
Re: Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> by Mynd44: 12:55am On Oct 05, 2013
Omolola1: THE WISH OF THE GODS
BestLuv

It's obvious you rushed this. Your story was not organized at all and lacked depth.

You weren't bothered about your readers, you wrote as though you were saying a story verbally.

From the beginning to the end of the story, there was no paragraph, there was no meaningful dialogue, not to talk of it been punctuated.

Your characters and the plot were not well developed. There were so many typographical errors, I don't think you even read the story.
It wasn't your best, but I know you would do better with time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Weirdest Question You Ever Asked Google? / The Legend Of Moremi / I Read In The Bathroom - Dami Ajayi, Author Of A Woman's Body Is A Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.