Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (62182 Views)

The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Beautiful Faces Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 15, 2013
It's mad FUN here! Fall in!!!

www.nairaland.com/1478917/polite-insults-thread

#TeamGOM cheesy grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Azboy34(m): 2:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

The only thing in common with Fulani and Hausa is mainly religion. The languages are very different (Fulfulde vs. Hausa). Feel free to ask anything else.
Nagode abokina..Can u pls tell me how d fulanis perform their marriage rite? Cus a frnd of mine once told me they do beat d groom(husband) with cane. Pls hw true z it?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by spikesC(m): 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
Azboy34: Nagode abokina..Can u pls tell me how d fulanis perform their marriage rite? Cus a frnd of mine once told me they do beat d groom(husband) with cane. Pls hw true z it?

I am sooooo interested in this cool
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Azboy34(m): 3:35pm On Oct 15, 2013
ATMC: yhu must be very fine then, i havent seen an ugly fulani...are yhu the one on ur profile pix? again
Lolz...it seems u are in LUV with FULMAN. Dat z nyc! It will be a nice combination if u are an igbo or a yoruba gal...lolz.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Azboy34(m): 3:56pm On Oct 15, 2013
spikes C:

Naso bro...am anxiously waitn for a reply from FULMAN. I luv askn question and i luv learning new thing especially culture and tradition.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:10pm On Oct 15, 2013
spikes C:

My lessons.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 10:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
ATMC: yhu must be very fine then, i havent seen an ugly fulani...are yhu the one on ur profile pix? again

It's a painted picture of me with turban
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 10:33pm On Oct 15, 2013
Azboy34: Nagode abokina..Can u pls tell me how d fulanis perform their marriage rite? Cus a frnd of mine once told me they do beat d groom(husband) with cane. Pls hw true z it?

That is passage of right to become a man, Marriage rites differ from Fulani group to Fulani group. We Mbororos have our own ways of marriage rights. They are determined at young age sometimes who one might want to marry.

In essence Fulani marriage vary from region to region:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXhpFEjHFk - Cameroonian non Mbororo Fulbe marriage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDVMKLtn1Wc - Fulbe marriage in Mali

So many different styles of Fulani marriage
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 10:37pm On Oct 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNudLsmCM3M - Senegalese Fulani marriage
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 10:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
Mbororo Gerewol in Cameroon/Nigerian border (Adamawa Mbororo'en nder Kamerun e Nayjeria):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whScUOYWHRw
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 5:07am On Oct 16, 2013
Fulaman198:

It's a painted picture of me with turban
is there a particular age at which a muslim starts wearing turban?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 5:10am On Oct 16, 2013
ATMC: is there a particular age at which a muslim starts wearing turban?

That depends on the culture and the need for the Turban. Mbororo Fulani wear turbans in the Sahel due to the harsh harmattan winds from the desert. There is no particular age really. I do have pictures of myself without a Turban as well.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 5:14am On Oct 16, 2013
Fulaman198:

That depends on the culture and the need for the Turban. Mbororo Fulani wear turbans in the Sahel due to the harsh harmattan winds from the desert. There is no particular age really. I do have pictures of myself without a Turban as well.
do the mbororo fulanis practise female circumcision
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 5:14am On Oct 16, 2013
ATMC: do the mbororo fulanis practise female circumcision

Depends not all do
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 5:16am On Oct 16, 2013
Azboy34: Lolz...it seems u are in LUV with FULMAN. Dat z nyc! It will be a nice combination if u are an igbo or a yoruba gal...lolz.
not exactly, he says we could ask him any question so am trying to understand the fulanis thru him
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 5:37am On Oct 16, 2013
EKANG(FANG-BETI): Central Africa(Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Sao Tome & CAR)

Music Instrument: Mvet( which is basically a guitar, but way more impressive and deep). The Mvet is used to tell about the origins of Ekang, play music etc.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 5:40am On Oct 16, 2013
Bpriest: EKANG(FANG-BETI): Central Africa(Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Sao Tome & CAR)

Music Instrument: Mvet( which is basically a guitar, but way more impressive and deep). The Mvet is used to tell about the origins of Ekang, play music etc.

Very nice

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 5:43am On Oct 16, 2013
EKANG(BETI-FANG):
Masks : called the Ngil, the Ngil are the most beautiful masks on earth, some of them worth +10M$.
Beautiful art.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 6:29am On Oct 16, 2013
EKANG(FANG-BETI) CENTRAL AFRICA(6 nations)

BIERI: the bieri is though to explain, it is a ceremonial performed during the religious activities of Ekang people, it can also be described as the door of the ancestors' graves(the cult of ancestors) the Bieri which is a mak is placed on a box containing the skulls of great ancestors/leaders/ex chiefs.

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 6:32am On Oct 16, 2013
Ekang(Fang-Beti)

Bieri

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 7:17am On Oct 16, 2013
EKANGsadFANG-BETI)
famous Mvet singers/Tellers. The Mvet singers/tellers are very respected, they are full of knowledge about each Ayong(Clan), people wait for him/them at every Ekang party. Without a skilled Mvet teller your party is a fail grin

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Bpriest: EKANG(FANG-BETI): Central Africa(Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Sao Tome & CAR)

Sally Nyolo! <3

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 9:35am On Oct 16, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

Sally Nyolo! <3
yes. A beautiful Ekang singer, how do you know her ?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 16, 2013
Bpriest: yes. A beautiful Ekang singer, how do you know her ?

I'm African myself but I was actually introduced to her music by an old American fellow here in the States believe it or not

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 9:46am On Oct 16, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

I'm African myself but I was actually introduced to her music by an old American fellow here in the States believe it or not
wow, I knew she is quite popular, but I'm impressed, good job from her then. Her music style is called Bikutsi, I hope I will have the time to talk about it on this thread.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2013
Bpriest: wow, I knew she is quite popular, but I'm impressed, good job from her then. Her music style is called Bikutsi, I hope I will have the time to talk about it on this thread.

I hope you will too. smiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Azboy34(m): 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2013
ATMC: not exactly, he says we could ask him any question so am trying to understand the fulanis thru him
lolz, i was just jokn. Dat z gud.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Azboy34(m): 5:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nagode Fulaman, i really apprecia8 bt i was unable to watch d video on my black berry via Operamin. Pls wat z d meaning of d word "TURBAN"? Secondly, why is cattle rearing a major occupation of d FULANIS? Cus even their younger once do engage in cattle rearing. Thirdly, why is it dat SOKOTO z d only state mostly dominated by d FULANI?urgent reply will be highly appreciated.Nagode sosai dan fulani!
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by spikesC(m): 8:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: My lessons.

Am ever ready, haven't heard from you cool
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nyumba(m): 12:23am On Oct 17, 2013
Bamum (Bamoun) Royal Palace

Bamum (Bamoun) kingdom, Cameroun

In the past, the Royal Palace was a complex of bamboo raffia buildings connected by many hallways and courtyards. Whenever fire or another disaster destroyed a palace compound, the Bamum built another palace of the same design in the same area. The central turret always faced northeast because the first Bamum king came from that direction.

King Njoya took inspiration from the brick home of a German colonial official when he designed the first fireproof palace. At first his followers laughed at his design-they couldn't imagine building such a large structure out of bricks. Eventually they helped Njoya build a palace that blended new materials with customary Bamum architecture.

Like the old palace, the new palace has turrets topped with rounded sloped roofs. Palm fronds covered the old palace's roofs; the new roofs are tiled. Both palaces have arched doorways and large wings flanking the central turret.

The old palace's elaborately carved posts were replaced by smooth brick posts in the new palace. Geometric patterns replaced the old palace's carved figures in every place except one, the double-headed snake on the railing over the central entrance
source
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nyumba(m): 12:34am On Oct 17, 2013
god_of_music: It's mad FUN here! Fall in!!!

www.nairaland.com/1478917/polite-insults-thread

#TeamGOM cheesy grin

www.nairaland.com/1475908/most-successful-african-guy-ghanian

It's fun there too, please visit that thread and bring your friends with you
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Bpriest(m): 3:21am On Oct 17, 2013
EKANG(FANG-BETI)
EKANG WARRIORS AND HELMETS

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.