Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

"The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. (11673 Views)

The Murder Case- A short story / The Blame Switch - A Short Story / Life's Symphony: A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 10:35am On Sep 29, 2013
It was un-usually cold that uncertain Tuesday evening.

Cold innocent air ran through the face of the Chief as he tossed uncomfortably while sitting on the gold coloured magnificient chair.

He thought about the happenings in his own nutured kingdom- his mighty fortress, his power and authority being dragged to dust by a once rejected son of a diseased father.

He cursed the day the young man was born, he regreted his actions: for not allowing Ozoigbon the great priest, to do the killing of the young man himself.

What a great loss a negligeble mistake as such, had caused.

"oooh, why now that i'm at the peak of my reign?" He thought aloud.
The guard nearest to him was alert at his master,. "what should be bodering this great cheif?" That was what his facial expression read.
The chief gave him a knowing look, on realizing his mistake and asked him to piss 'off.
Like lightening the guard was off.

Now he was alone, his most trusted guard was out. He was free to think even louder without worries. He looked upward and fixed his gaze at gigantic ceiling fan rotating speedingly, he shook his head slowly and bit his lower lips.

"what is wrong with me?" He asked himself rhetorically.

He was supposed to be the strong-hearted god-like creature highly feared and highly revered in his kingdom and all over Africa.

Here he sat, so engrossed in his thought; that it seems he would go mad. He was deeply in thoughts mixed with soliloquy when he noticed something. He fixed his gaze at a creature who appeared obstructing his view, it had the shape of a man, extremely dark in appearance, it had something like horns and thorns all over his body. It held a spear in his hand, and was approaching with a great speed towards him.
The Chief left out a very brisk shout in fear, he held his hands together with his mouth agape, and eyes wide opened as if in great shock.

"It's me your Highness"

The chief heard in disbelief, he thought he saw an approaching beast, a beast addressing him as "Your Highness?" what an irony. He melted.

There stood Edafe, the chief's most trusted guard half bent, with his hands almost touching the bricked floor- he almost lying flat on the floor.

He was pleading, begging for his life. It was a purnishable offence to scare the great Chief. The last guard that did it out of drunkeness was boiled to death, now Edafe was lying down flat begging for even a reduction in his purnishment.

He came in to deliver an urgent message to the King: That The Chief's arch enemy visits, only to find the king shifting backwards and shouting in great fear and dismay. He was dead.

"Stand up and stand out," Edafe heard the Chief saying.
Edafe stood out waiting for his death sentence, he prayed silently.

"Let it be a quick death," he wished.

"I asked you out, why are you here?"
The chief asked angrily.

"I'm sorry Your Highness" Edafe retorted confusingly.

Now the Chief was almost boiling, he needed an answer and not an apology; he tried relaxing himself in an attempt to bring down his high temper, before he do something he would definately soonest.

"I had an urgent call that Emiru visits you" Edafe added.

""Emiru?" the chief said, rather rhetorically.
The same young man he detests so dearly visits him, or what's he talking about?"

What on the deep blue hell would that troll-like creature wants from him. He had been the cause of his agony, the pains he'd been nursing secretly.

He'd changed his once Autocratic Kingdom into a near democratic one, but for the help of Ozoigbon.

*TBC*

2 Likes

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 10:50am On Sep 29, 2013
My people don't view and walk away ooh. Put something down, it's an amateur write up.

I'm someone lesser than an amateur in literature, this is my first write-up ever.

Please bear with me, with God and Time i will improve.

Your corrections, suggestions, encouragements, critics would be perfectly honoured with great delight. smiley
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by desertboom(m): 11:32am On Sep 29, 2013
Nice so far. . .
What's the theme of the story?

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by chistar01(m): 12:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
nice one, you kept me stucked to my phone screen until I finished the post but it Seems like a nollywood script and I hate nollywood movies.Anyway, carry on. *following*

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by adegwurulez(m): 1:18pm On Sep 29, 2013
yesoooo i'm one of ur pioneer fans. jst incase dis makes front page, i was here

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 1:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
"Oh, what a hell of a kingdom i would have had without Ozoigbon,"
he thought forgetting the Guard standing there.

The Chief and Ozoigbon had tormented this young man so much to make him suicidal, but he grew bigger and more powerful.

"Oooh How i hate that boy," he found himself saying, thereby noticing Edafe. "What does he want?"

"Where is he now?"

"Why am i getting the message now?" He poured the questions to the poor Edafe, who was contemplating confusingly the question that fits answering first.

"He awaits your call, your Highness"
Edafe finally find himself saying- praying it pleases His Masters ear.

"The Chief was calm, a mixture of anger and sadness filled his soul. He felt like strangling the devil of a boy. 'Send him in, if you want to!' He spat out at last." Edafe zoomed off.

He came back a minute later Ushering in a young man. The young man was tall and fair; he was in his late 20's/early 30's. He was a handsome young man, full of smiles; his clothes were all white: he had a suit on. He walked as if he had no problems, counting his steps one by one.
Emiru was his name.

The Chief looked up and saw his worst enemy walking smilingly towards him.
"Ooh if he knew how i hated him" he thought.

One thing the Chief hated he did, and is still doing "Smiling heavily & happily when all was never well."

"May i sit Chief?" a calm voice came from nowhere, and interrupts the Chief's thoughts.

"That's if you want to" the Chief answered with hatred, visibly showing him how much he hates him.

It didn't prick Emiru as he smiled and sat down. The Chief wanted shouting, he was furious and highly mad. He couldn't comprehend the fact that this dude would still smile, after all he've made him pass through. Though he wasn't really behind his whole torture but he supported Ozoigbon Lately. The Chief objected to Emiru being killed at birth, and to the lynching of h is parents and siblings for having something to do with a "foreseen bad egg."

He was now regretting his actions: for ever disagreeing to Ozoigbon's decision since it caused a great misunderstanding & the Lad had become a thorn in his flesh.

He looked at him, there he sat as if he owns the whole world. He cared and worried less about anything; this got the Chief confused.

"What should i tell him now, 'i hate you Emiru or what?'" he thought within, but was caught off guard when Emiru spoke.

"Why are you tormenting me, Chief?" Emiru said.

He was a man of few words; a friend told that all his said words since birth aside his sermon and prayers, would not amount to a thousand.

"What is he talking about?" the Chief's Mind asked his Heart.

"As if you don't know" the Heart replied sadly.

``Yes! I had tormented him badly, i had hurt him and all the people dearly but, they caused it.`` He defended himself to Himself.

"I should be the one asking you that question, elf" the Chief spat out with contempt.

"You should mind your use of words when addressing with a Man of God, chief" Emiru advised calmly.

"And who the hell are you to determine how i reply my subjects peasant?" the Chief replied angrily.

*TBC*
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 1:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
desertboom: Nice so far. . .
What's the theme of the story?
Thanks very much sir, i hope you enjoy the rest part. smiley

I will give you an award for commenting first ooh. wink

Thriller, i'd say.
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 2:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
chistar01: nice one, you kept me stucked to my phone screen until I finished the post but it Seems like a nollywood script and I hate nollywood movies.Anyway, carry on. *following*
My Oga himself is here. I'm honoured bro.

Lol.. You hate Nollywood? Me too. But you can't run away from it. This no be nollywood naa, abeg tel l me the place wen look Nollywoodlike, so i can change it.

Please don't forget to correct my errors sir.

adegwurulez: yesoooo i'm one of ur pioneer fans. jst incase dis makes front page, i was here
My heavy bros, i'm humbled.

You said "front page?" LoL

Thanks for commenting.
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by adegwurulez(m): 2:13pm On Sep 29, 2013
oboy na front row ah dey for dis tori o
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by Therock5555(m): 3:18pm On Sep 29, 2013
Me too, i don show
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by Kslib(m): 3:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
Nice work.
..*following**
All izz well!
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by Obinnau(m): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2013
your work doesnt look like that of an amateur, infact from what i can see its a masterpiece but like chistar said, it looks a little ..... nollywoodish. following
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 7:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
"Chief, i came back not for you. So you dare not stand on my way," Emiru pointed out.

What's he talking about? Who sent him back by the way? The chief thought.

"It would have been better if you didn't come back, young man don't dare me. How could someone excape a boiling water, if he was never a wizard? How elf?" the Chief bursted out.

Emiru trying not to go emotional, tried covering his red eyes that have gone red. The Chief was deliberating opening up old wounds. These thoughts were o nce forgotten by Emiru, but it seems they're returning with flashes.

He couldn't help but lunch deep in to the past. He remembered he was brought up by a missionary. He explained to him, how he (Emiru) was found in a tree to be eaten by vultures, after being pitied on by the palace guards.

His eyes had gone sour, as he thought about himself being alone in the whole wide world. Without parents; Without Siblings; Without relations, they were lynched saying- before a bad egg located their family it means they were not fit to live.

"Imagine! What a world! How on earth would they know the destiny of a child yet unborn?" He was now fidgeting.

He remembered the time he came back a second time- ten years ago, to preach the good news to the people.

When Ozoigbon discovered he was so-called bad-egg, he was packaged in a bag and thrown into a pool of boiling water, to die slowly.

He boiled for a while, until he let out a shout feeling he was not born to die- "JEEESUUUSS SAVE ME" he shouted without him hearing himself. Immediately the pool became warm as normal to his feeling, the bag melted. Thank got he new how to swim, he swam to an exit where a man was waiting. The man took him back to the city, not without telling him he was not matured enough to make accomplish his destiny.

He was really confused, dejected and downcasted. What on earth did he to the Chief Priest. Why they sort his life since the day he was born, was still a mystery. How they eliminated every of his relatives that could be of help was soaring in his head.

"Thank God for Jesus" he affirmed himself.

"But what's my offence?" He said loudly as if he understood not the things of the dark.

The Chief was motioning his eyes all over him, thinking of his possible thoughts.

"See Young Man, you should thank your chi for being solely by you instead of trying to fight a battle you can't pass through successfully, the first stage"

"We are giving you 24hours from this minute, to burn down your church; that very one you teach them evil and how to turn from the ways of the gods"

"They no longer sacrifice their children for monthly rituals as it was their custom before"

"They walk about smiling profusely, some even smile at me when they pass my car"

"I don't know how they go fat and well built, when they have limited farmlands for food production"

The Chief was now shouting angrily.

"These are happenings seized when i came into power, at the death of my aimless father"

"These never happened when you were away, now see who is tormenting who here?"

"My cowardice father ruled this kingdom simplely, the people were happy, but what did he achieved? Nothing. Absolutely Nothing!

He even wanted his adopted son to rule after him, if not for Ozoigbon what would have become of me?

"Am i not one of the greatest Chiefs in Africa? Would this have happened if that adopted son of his ruled? HELL NO!" the Chief poured out his heart, trying hard not to leave an unturned stone.

"I won't take it anymore from you, young devil. Your God can't save you from my wrath this time around." the Chief shouted, knowing fully well that Ozoigbon was well grounded on his side. He had a great confidence in him, he was behind his strong-hearte
dness.

Emiru waited for the king to pour out all the words he've got, he would have loved to point out his main reason for the unscheduled visit, he wanted to calm him down- he then heard what provoked him.

*TBC tomorrow*
Make go jete by jete.

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 7:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
adegwurulez: oboy na front row ah dey for dis tori o

That one join my Bros..
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 7:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
The rock5555: Me too, i don show

My Oga, i'm honoured. Thanks for the accomodation over there.

Welcome sir
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by adegwurulez(m): 7:45pm On Sep 29, 2013
na wa o, 2moro no go come again
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 7:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
Kslib: Nice work.
..*following**
All izz well!
Wow...

I appreciate your prescence sir, it's nice to have you here. Thanks for the unmerited commendation sir.
.All izz well. smiley"
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 7:58pm On Sep 29, 2013
Obinnau: your work doesnt look like that of an amateur, infact from what i can see its a masterpiece but like chistar said, it looks a little ..... nollywoodish. following

Most Noble Mod2, you are highly welcomed sir, i'm humbled.

Masterpiece? shocked

Sincerely sire, this is the first make-up story and write up, whether article or any other sort, i'af ever written all my life.. I was even ashame when i typed the first update. With what i see on NL, i have a long way to go. But as you av said sire, i think it's not that bad. Thanks sire.

*i know flattery is allowed*

Please oooh. I don't understand, i'm afraid ooh. This Nollywood stuff, what do i do now? I hope it's not a defect sire? RSVP sir.
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 8:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
adegwurulez: na wa o, 2moro no go come again

LoL My M.A Oga, make you dey patient with your loyal boy biko. Tomorrow na just 4hours im go take to reach am sad
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by Obinnau(m): 8:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
you are doing just great. about the nollywood ish, we will make do and it means that it deserves to be featured by the industry grin

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by Kslib(m): 8:13pm On Sep 29, 2013
E<R>F:

Wow...

I appreciate your prescence sir, it's nice to have you here. Thanks for the unmerited commendation sir.
.All izz well. smiley"
Ah!! I no be "sir" ooo.. lol
Nice story..
All izz well!

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
smiley

Bookmarked, I hate commenting on short stories before they are finished so, I will drop a comment when your done neh?

M right behind you sir cool

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 8:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: smiley

Bookmarked, I hate commenting on short stories before they are finished so, I will drop a comment when your done neh?

M right behind you sir cool
My one and only wink It's good to have you here, i wouldn't av had any better..

It's a good thing you announced your presence, so i'd have a good sleep tonight.

If you ain't behind me, who will? Me sir?

My wife dey address me as sir. . .please help angry

*typing*

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by Cestmoi1(f): 9:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
Following.....Just thought i should let u know that.

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by sambroose(m): 9:23pm On Sep 29, 2013
Bookmarked.....nice job

1 Like

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
E<R>F:

My one and only wink It's good to have you here, i wouldn't av had any better..

It's a good thing you announced your presence, so i'd have a good sleep tonight.

If you ain't behind me, who will? Me sir?

My wife dey address me as sir. . .please help angry

*typing*
you are the OATT now, m the madam na so?
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by temhab(f): 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
Following
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by adegwurulez(m): 10:02am On Sep 30, 2013
oga op, 2moro neva reach shey
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 10:06am On Sep 30, 2013
"Your stupid God would not save you from me this.. ." the chief was still saying when he felt a invisible hand grip on his neck. The hand squeezed his neck hard that he began stretching his neck upwards in an attempt to gasp for air. He wanted using his hand to remove the invisible hand, but they felt lifeless as he could not lift them up. He couldn't shout, he was going empty.

He felt sorry for his careless words, he regretted them, but there was nothing he could do. Immediately he started feeling sorry, the hand let go of his throat. The chief moved his head backwards immediately, he robbed his neck with both hands while breathing profusely.

"What the hell just went wrong with me?" he asked himself confusingly. He felt a lump in his throat, he coughed.

"Blooood?" he cried out. He spat a large pile of blood on the floor. He looked at it- the blood changed to water, as he was still looking it dried up.

He shifted a little bit in his chair in fear mixed with great shock, with his mouth wide opened he looked at Emiru. Emiru's gaze fastened at him without smiles, he was all serious.

The chief was dumbfounded. "could he be the cause of my present predicament?" he thought and started coughing.

"Water" the Chief said, not noticing that the persons there, were no longer three, but more than a square of it. They were dumb and mute, not understanding the happening near them. The great Chief never asked for help.

"Here my Lord" a young damsel in her early 20's said, as she hands over the glass of cold water to the Chief. The chief sipped in some rapidly and roughly.

"Yeeeeeeea" the king shouted while standing up. He threw the glass away and cursed the girl.

"You brought me hot boiling water?" the Chief shouted as if ready to make a decree.

"No my Lord, it was brought directly Fridge, it was a cold water Your Highness" the maid said fearing the worst.

"Cold whaat?" the Chief shouted in disbelief.

"Are you to agree with this too?" the chief asked Edafe who suffered the later effect of the glass and water the Chief released.

" I.. Swear .. Your Highness, It was very cold," Edafe replied rather slowly.
The chief was dumbfounded.

The Chief had the coughing urge again, he let it go. He was coughing like bullets forcing themselves out of an pistol.

This attracted his wife and Family, who were alerted of the Chief's troubles; his wife brought cold milk this time around to the chief. Not without giving their arch enemy Emiru, 'whose gaze was still fastened at the Chief' a strict knowing look.

She was a well trained palace wife, with a stronger heart than that of the Chief. She was not easily moved by little things; so was her children. But it was different this time, as fear mixed with confusion was written all over her, facially.

The Chief gulped the milk very fast then he gave a loud shout:

"FIRREEEE" , "Honey you gave me fire to drink?"

"I'm burning" the Chief said running around as if he was running from himself.

Confusion mixed with anger and sadness filled the air, as they wonder what went, and is still going on between the Chief, Emiru and his present predicament.

"Okay it's alright" Emiru said at last.

As he said that a cold wind blew through the whole arena, everybody felt it. The chief felt it too, as it eloped him ...no more hotness, no more pain: he was alright.

There stood the Chief near his magnificient golden chair- he knew not what to do, say or feel. He wondered if he should be happy for being saved by his arch enemy or should be mad at him for being the cause of his predicament.

"ARREST HIM" he manage to say.

The guards stood still, each contemplating on whom to move first.

They recall that the last set of guards sent to arrest him, five in numbers, are now devoted ushers in his church.

Edafe was still telling his assistant that, when they become ushers he would never stand in the gate but near the offering box, when he heard a voice that resembles chief's saying:

"STRIIKKE HIMM"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 10:09am On Sep 30, 2013
Kslib:
Ah!! I no be "sir" ooo.. lol
Nice story..
All izz well!

Why you go dey talk like this na?

If you no be "sir" who fit to be "sir" for this world?
It is well.
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 10:12am On Sep 30, 2013
C'est moi:
Following.....Just thought i should let u know that.

Your Majesty, it's a very wonderful thing you've done to notify us. ..

Thanks for the comment.
Re: "The Lesser Power" - A Short Amazin Story. by ERF: 10:16am On Sep 30, 2013
Obinnau: you are doing just great. about the nollywood ish, we will make do and it means that it deserves to be featured by the industry grin

Sheei . . Oga mod iyaf finished me. grin

Like serious i'm not really into Nollywood, i barely watch their movies. .so i don't really think you should feel i watch their films so much.

But i lOve Bollywood dearly.

Thanks for the commend sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Stranded / Write A Description: Describe Her Beauty. / Sneaker (short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.