Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,386 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank (22506 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Tecno Phones?? / Collections Of Some Tecno Stock Roms & Back Up / The List Of Tecno Phones That Would Have BBM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by texazzpete(m): 1:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
Tech Suplex has a great article on why Tecno ships a free powerbank with their phones. Seems like a great marketing tactic on face value, but apparently it hides a darker secret

http://www.techsuplex.com/2013/09/16/tecnos-power-bank-value-marketing-gimmick/

Out of curiosity, I did a quick check on Tecno’s battery management, (thanks to everyone twitter that chipped helped) and guess what? Tecno doesn’t optimize android OS for its hardware, at least not well enough. Two key indicators of how well optimized a version of android is for the hardware it is running on are the battery usage level of the “Phone Idle” process (battery expended when your phone is not in use, but “listening” for activity e.g: calls/emails etc) and “cell standby” (which has to do with your antenna and how power is managed with regards to signal strength). Those two processes on Tecno phones are unusually high as seen below. In essence, a shocking amount of battery is being wasted on those two processes because no one has bothered to tweak them for the hardware.

So putting everything into perspective, maybe Tecno knows it’s sleeping on its battery game and just tosses you a power bank to make up for that and score marketing points in the process, because frankly, it’s a lot cheaper to dash out power banks than invest in R&grin to optimize an OS for your hardware. Think about it this way: With the power bank, you get two batteries for your Tecno, but maybe all you should need ideally, is one.

Screenshots below, with comparison with Samsung phones.

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by physise(m): 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2013
ok xo all tecno fones r unstable
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
Mehn.. the rate at which bloggers hustle for backlinks is really alarming... wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by skullz: 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
*spreads mat*......waiting for the tecno warriors to attackgrin

9 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by krugar07(m): 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
takeNO. GO And HIRE DEVELOPERS. its ur fans ur cheating. just only 'injecting' unoptimised os in ur LQ Phones. can never do a job well. but why compare with samsung all the time??...... oh i remember now.

1 Like

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
This is super storyyy...... tongue
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
This is super storyyy......
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by WackyJ1(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
Where are the fanboys? Techno is taking hits every day
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Osyxcel(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2013
This thread is very useless.

Those screenshots explain nothing.

Check out the screenshot below of a Tecno M3 left overnite after full charge.

16 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Osyxcel(m): 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
The truth is if you use Ur phone for long, and Ur screen brightness is quite high, it'll take a large chunk of Ur battery.
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
Na so power bank cheap? grin

For them to use MTK chipsets, the least they had to do was to optimize its voltage.

But still, their standby modes are relatively stable
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by francis247(m): 2:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
texazzpete: Tech Suplex has a great article on why Tecno ships a free powerbank with their phones. Seems like a great marketing tactic on face value, but apparently it hides a darker secret

http://www.techsuplex.com/2013/09/16/tecnos-power-bank-value-marketing-gimmick/

Screenshots below, with comparison with Samsung phones.

You want to get fried on a hot afternoon right?

1 Like

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by stephano100(m): 3:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
francis247: You want to get fried on a hot afternoon right?
d guy wan spoil business 4u @ur signature LWKMD

5 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by LordReed(m): 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
This is not a proper way to measure battery consumption. All that this does is tell what percentage of time the phone has been on, has been used by a process. It doesn't tell what percentage of the battery is actually spent by a process. In other words if my phone has been on 1 hour and in all that time I was using the screen then 'screen on' will probably show 100%.

2 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Osyxcel(m): 3:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
Lord_Reed: This is not a proper way to measure battery consumption. All that this does is tell what percentage of time the phone has been on, has been used by a process. It doesn't tell what percentage of the battery is actually spent by a process. In other words if my phone has been on 1 hour and in all that time I was using the screen then 'screen on' will probably show 100%.

^^ Exactly!
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Brymo: 3:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
Now i believe,dis techno ad.
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by demolaxy: 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2013
Some people do not read posts. They just comment. Please re-read. Most of these comments do not tally.

@Op. Enlightening. Still, a friend of mine would not collect a free techno.

1 Like

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by akereconfi: 3:58pm On Sep 30, 2013
Only POVERTY make guys compare TECHNO to SAMSUNG

8 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by texazzpete(m): 4:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
Lord_Reed: This is not a proper way to measure battery consumption. All that this does is tell what percentage of time the phone has been on, has been used by a process. It doesn't tell what percentage of the battery is actually spent by a process. In other words if my phone has been on 1 hour and in all that time I was using the screen then 'screen on' will probably show 100%.

That's a pretty good point you make here...and looking at the processes in the Tecno screenshots, it doesn't look like it's been running loads of stuff that'd keep the screen on....perhaps explaining the low percentage for the screen drain.

It'd be nice to hear from Tecno users what their battery life experiences are.

Another point to note is that drain from a dual SIM phone should be expected to clock in higher than that for a single SIM device...your device has to maintain a connection to different base towers simultaneously, of course.

2 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
Even if you put samsung and iphone or ipad or galaxy tab on high, it sucks battery like mad. So, mod, ur opinions are baseless and you are just one of those from samsung or nokia wanting to pull Tecno down.
#TeamTecno grin

19 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by texazzpete(m): 4:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
francis247: You want to get fried on a hot afternoon right?

Nope, i don't. Have you ever been fried on a hot afternoon? Are we speaking literally here? Groundnut oil or palm oil?
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Brimmie(m): 4:04pm On Sep 30, 2013
Wassup Wt All These Tecno Threads?!? undecided
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by physise(m): 4:05pm On Sep 30, 2013
Tecno for fp again nawa o angry
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Brimmie(m): 4:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
solidbroda: Even if you put samsung and iphone or ipad or galaxy tab on high, it sucks battery like mad. So, mod, ur opinions are baseless and you are just one of those from samsung or nokia wanting to pull Tecno down.
#TeamTecno grin

Ode, iPhone suck battery?? I'm sure you've never seen an iPhone before! Not to talk of Apple Products!! undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by texazzpete(m): 4:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
solidbroda: Even if you put samsung and iphone or ipad or galaxy tab on high, it sucks battery like mad. So, mod, ur opinions are baseless and you are just one of those from samsung or nokia wanting to pull Tecno down.
#TeamTecno grin

1. I'm not sure what you mean by 'putting a device on high'. Care to repost this in English?

2. I'm not a mod.

3. No desire to 'pull Tecno down'. I just recommended a Phantom A+ to a colleague yesterday and he's got it...and is insanely pleased with it. There ARE flaws (Tecno's horrible skin slows down the capable MTK6589 chipset unbearably, not sure why they didn't just stick with stock JellyBean). I'm not really sure why some of you get so defensive when it comes to Tecno discussions. It's just a phone.

If you've finished throwing your hissy fit, care to share your actual battery life experiences with your phone? Try to add value to this discussion...

5 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Brimmie(m): 4:08pm On Sep 30, 2013
akereconfi: Only POVERTY make guys compare TECHNO to SAMSUNG

I Tell Ya!! Not To Talk Of iPhone!

1 Like

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by redcliff: 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
[size=14pt]seun is the owner of tecno company[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Brimmie(m): 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
texazzpete:

1. I'm not sure what you mean by 'putting a device on high'. Care to repost this in English?

2. I'm not a mod.

3. No desire to 'pull Tecno down'. I just recommended a Phantom A+ to a colleague yesterday and he's got it...and is insanely pleased with it. There ARE flaws (Tecno's horrible skin slows down the capable MTK6589 chipset unbearably, not sure why they didn't just stick with stock JellyBean). I'm not really sure why some of you get so defensive when it comes to Tecno discussions. It's just a phone.

If you've finished throwing your hissy fit, care to share your actual battery life experiences with your phone? Try to add value to this discussion...

Perfect!
Re: Why Some Tecno Phones Come With A Free Powerbank by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
At least they know their problem and also closing the gap. They are far better than the Nigerian Government in that aspect...

Haters of Tecno abeg so siddon...

Even tho I dont use it... they are doing good.

UpTechno
UpXperia
UpAndroid

Osyxcel: This thread is very useless.

Those screenshots explain nothing.

Check out the screenshot below of a Tecno M3 left overnite after full charge.

See statistics.... 100% battery level... 9 hours after charging... abeg what else do you need? OP, go and hug the nearest serving transformer abeg

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Still Remember Xtracool? / What Phone Is Best For 170k Budget? / Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.