Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,036 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason (696 Views)

Why Are Almost All Topics Making Frontpage Anyhow On NL? / Did You Make Nairaland Frontpage In 2012? / My Nairaland Frontpage "Mod" For SMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by abhosts(m): 9:09am On Jun 27, 2008
Woman Gets Two Years for Aiding Nigerian Internet Check Scam (PC World)

A Washington woman was sentenced on Wednesday to two years in prison and five years of supervised release for her role in an Internet counterfeit check scheme.

Edna Fiedler pleaded guilty in March to attempting to defraud U.S. citizens in a scheme known as a Nigerian check scam.

Fiedler helped her accomplices in Nigeria send fake checks to people who had agreed to cash the checks on behalf of the sender, keeping some of the proceeds and sending the rest back.

The Nigerians found people willing to cash the fake checks via e-mail. They would send their names as well as fake documents that looked like Wal-Mart money orders, Bank of America checks, U.S. Postal Service checks and American Express traveler's checks to Fiedler. They told her how to fill out the checks and where to send them.

The recipients most likely thought they were helping out someone who needed a person in the U.S. to cash a check for them, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. They were able to get the money by cashing the checks, and sent most of it to either Fiedler or her Nigerian accomplices. However, once the checks were discovered to be fake, the people who cashed them were responsible for the full amount.

All told, Fiedler sent out US$609,000 worth of phony checks and money orders. When U.S. Secret Service agents investigating the case searched Fiedler's house, they found additional fake checks worth more than $1.1 million that she was preparing to send out.

At a recent conference in Seattle, a representative from the U.S. Postal Service and Washington State Attorney General Rob McKenna described ways they're working to shut down these kinds of scams, particularly because they often involve people who don't realize that they're taking part in illegal activities.

The U.S. Postal Service recently sent 15 postal investigators to Lagos, Nigeria, and during a three-month period there, they helped intercept counterfeit checks, lottery tickets and eBay overpayment schemes with a face value of $2.1 billion, Chris Siouris, a cyber investigator at the U.S. Postal Inspector, said at the recent conference. Siouris, McKenna and others are pushing for ways to better educate Internet users so that people don't unwittingly help out in these kinds of e-mail scams.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/147575
Re: Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by webmaster3: 9:40am On Jun 27, 2008
Shocked when i saw it this morning. Really sad.
Re: Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by fransois2(m): 10:17am On Jun 27, 2008
What a pathetic breakfast news, I was shocked as well when my friend called my attention to the latest foot print of these so called "yahoo boyz"
Edner is as guilty as her accomplices and I believe soon nemesis will catch up with these people that keep making it difficult for innocent Nigerians to do honest biz online.
cry
Re: Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by goldenimp(m): 10:50am On Jun 27, 2008
Im very sure this smartyy never originated from Nigeria, we just bought it and it spreads like wildfire. the americans are better than us when it comes to 419.
Re: Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by abhosts(m): 11:04am On Jun 27, 2008
I find it rather paradoxical that if our government was asked to react to the story, their response will be so predictable.

Our Government’s likely reaction will be:

It is unfortunate that Yahoo has decided to follow the low road of Mischief through the publication of fabricated tales and unsubstantiated hearsay to malign the image and soil the Impeccable integrity of the good people of Nigeria.

We take such matters very seriously and we will consider all legal options at our disposal to seek redress for such a cowardly and callous publication.

Minister of Misinformation
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by niyyie(m): 11:13am On Jun 27, 2008
abhosts:

I find it rather paradoxical that if our government was asked to react to the story, their response will be so predictable.

Our Government’s likely reaction will be:

It is unfortunate that Yahoo has decided to follow the low road of Mischief through the publication of fabricated tales and unsubstantiated hearsay to malign the image and soil the Impeccable integrity of the good people of Nigeria.

We take such matters very seriously and we will consider all legal options at our disposal to seek redress for such a cowardly and callous publication.

Minister of Misinformation
Federal Republic of Nigeria

I was shocked myself, to have seen that publication on Yahoo!'s homepage. What a shame.
What's worse? The main perpetrators are probably walking free in Nigeria, while the poor woman is going to jail.
Re: Nigeria Makes Yahoo Frontpage News…. For The Wrong Reason by origina9ja(f): 5:19pm On Jul 01, 2008
shocked shocked :oi sense i'm a biit behind
lol neva heard bout this
very sad tho

(1) (Reply)

Google Threaten By New Search Engine / Job Opportunity For Webmasters / Newspaper Content Management System (CMS) Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.