Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

How Do We Know That There Is A God - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Do We Know That There Is A God (1433 Views)

Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? / Can Allah Create A God More Powerful Or As Powerful As Himself? / What Make A God A True God, So What Is Jesus In This Respect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Know That There Is A God by Shyeikulislam1(m): 6:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
The belief in the existence of God has always been a hot debate between believers in God Almighty and people who deny His existence. As a Muslim this debate can be ended by quoting Qur’an verses but this is not acceptable to those who deny his existence. This then results to the use of reasoning and logic. The use of reason and logic dates back to prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) when Nimrud argued with him. So let’s apply such reasoning and logic to the existence of God.

An Arab Bedouin was once asked how do we know that there is a God? The unlettered, unschooled and illiterate Arabian teacher answered “The presence of a dung is the evidence that a camel was here, the footprints on the sand is the evidence that a person was here, the evidence of the earth and planets shows that some great power has placed them where they are”. Is this answer debatable? No. If for instance I have a book on my hand and I say “this is a pen” for a person to say its not a pen but a book, he must know what a book is. So we as Muslims have continued to ask, who is God before they can deny his existence? A philosopher known as Francis Bacon states “Little knowledge of science makes you an atheist but in depth knowledge of science makes you a believer in God Almighty”. Why don't we consider the law of Natural selection or theories of evolution. We should not forget that these are mere theories and not established facts and even if such theories are considered, none of these theories deny the fact that micro and macro systems are arranged, fixed, proportioned, measured, determined, limited, synchronized and given distinct characteristics and parameters that they cannot go beyond or exceed. Can this happen by mistake? Also, the fact that they are predictable and possess recognizable characteristic allows for man to study, reflect, perform and research, which enables him to reach scientific conclusions and apply certain technological instruments that provide benefits or substantiation to the evolution of his social environment.further more, We cannot deny that all of us exist. Do we exist? If we all believe we exist, we are sustained through a unique balance of environmental phenomena that we are not the authors of. Then someone is, has to be, must be, the author and responsible for all of this. Albert Einstein states “science without religion is lame religion without science is blind”. According to the Qur’an all messengers and prophets of God Almighty came with the same message (Q16:36) and one religion (Q3:19, 84). Islam is not only a religion but a way of life. Its principles are not only spiritual but also appeals to reason and logic, no wonder it is the fastest growing religion in todays technologically advanced west. As said earlier, all prophets came with the same message which contains laws, legislation and moral ethics for humans to follow, which was a system, and that system was religion. A system is combination of related things or parts that form a complex whole; body of an animal or human considered as a whole; set of principles or ideas; method, procedure; organization, orderliness. With all the systems man created they are still less inferior to what God created.

For example,
1. Man created the camera what about the eye,
2. Computer what about the brain
3. Nuclear plants what about the Heart
4. Apparatus for chemical analysis what about the kidney
5. Instruments to detect, forensics what about how the body functions

All the above sophisticated technologies are not replaceable to any part of the human body; it would be injustice on our part to say all these appeared by ‘chance’ or by mistake. We should be forever grateful to the one who gave us such organs?

Conclusion
God says in his final revelation in Q75 vs 31-40 “So he (disbeliever) neither believed (in this Qur’an, in the Message of Muhammad) nor prayed. But on the contrary, he belied and turned away. Then he walked in full pride to his family admiring himself. Woe to you [O man (disbeliever)]! And then (again) woe to you. Again woe to you [O man (disbeliever)] and then (again) woe to you. Does man think that he will be left Suda [not resurrected]. Was he not a Nutfah [mixed male and female discharge of semen] poured forth? Then he became an Alaqa [a clot]; then (God) shaped and fashioned (him) in due proportion. And made him two sexes, male and female. Is not He (God able to do that), Able to give life to the dead? (yes, He is Able to do all things).
“Then if the Qur’an were his (muhammad) own composition other men could rival it. Let them produce ten verses like it. If they could not (and it is obvious that could not) then let them accept the Qur’an as an outstanding evidential miracle!!! H.A.R Gibbon (Muhammad and Mohammedanism)
The system in front of the creator is submission which is peace (Islam). Being at war with God is like denying your conscience, your parents and who you are. Islam is that system.

Wa salamun alaykum wa rahamatullah wabarakatu

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by maclatunji: 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
^Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu. This is a really nice essay. Jazakum Llahu Khayran.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by tbaba1234: 7:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Shyeikul islam1:
An Arab Bedouin once came to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and asked, how do we know that there is a God? The unlettered, unschooled and illiterate Arabian teacher answered “The presence of a dung is the evidence that a camel was here, the footprints on the sand is the evidence that a person was here, the evidence of the earth and planets shows that some great power has placed them where they are”. Is this answer debatable? No.
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

Please where is the evidence for this??
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Shyeikulislam1(m): 11:23pm On Sep 30, 2013
The reference is not available presently but insha Allah make it available soon
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Nobody: 3:52am On Oct 02, 2013
because i said so angry
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Nobody: 3:52am On Oct 02, 2013
maclatunji: ^Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

what does that mean?
if you don't mind me asking. smiley
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by deols(f): 5:37am On Oct 02, 2013
@Op
Dont you think it is wrong to spread info based on something you can not provide proof for?

How far could the reference be?
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by maclatunji: 6:19am On Oct 02, 2013
*Kails*:

what does that mean?

And may the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by maclatunji: 6:19am On Oct 02, 2013
*Kails*:

what does that mean?
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
i think the statement attributed to the prophet [sa] as answer to the question of the bedouin, is actually the answer to a question asked a bedouin by an unidentified questioner.

i searched upon reading the above and what is obvious is that it was the answer of a bedouin when he was asked. where he got such a wisdom was not identified. obviously Allah impacts wisdom on the ignorant to provide subtle 'sign' that is needed.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by tbaba1234: 1:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
^Exactly, I was waiting for the op to come up with evidence. That statement was made by an unknown bedouin.

We have to be careful what we attribute to the messenger (peace and blessings be upon him).

“Whoever relates something from me I have not said shall take a place for himself in Hell.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

1 Like

Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by maclatunji: 1:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
^Very true. OP can modify his post to that effect.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Shyeikulislam1(m): 6:54am On Oct 03, 2013
The fact that i couldnt bring the actual reference doesnt mean i formulated the hadith( Allah forbid). Actually i came across a hadith like that but i couldn'nt just remember from which Ahadith book i read it. Pls bear with me
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by maclatunji: 6:58am On Oct 03, 2013
Shyeikul islam1: The fact that i couldnt bring the actual reference doesnt mean i formulated the hadith( Allah forbid). Actually i came across a hadith like that but i couldn'nt just remember from which Ahadith book i read it. Pls bear with me

No wahala, you can avoid posting hadith without references in future to avoid confusion and controversy.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Shyeikulislam1(m): 7:10am On Oct 03, 2013
It was not my intention to quote a hadith without reference and I learnt a great deal with this first post but insha Allah my subsequent posts will have their full references. Please forgive me
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by tbaba1234: 11:13am On Oct 03, 2013
Shyeikul islam1: It was not my intention to quote a hadith without reference and I learnt a great deal with this first post but insha Allah my subsequent posts will have their full references. Please forgive me

I. This is not even a hadith from the prophet(peace and blessings be upon him). A simple google search will solve your problem.

Ii. You can edit the first post after your investigation.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Shyeikulislam1(m): 1:13pm On Oct 03, 2013
@ tbaba1234 You cant get everything on google. I think you are still a new comer to the internet
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by tbaba1234: 2:19pm On Oct 03, 2013
grin grin

If it is a hadith, you will find it on google. This is the actual story and the reference

Imam Ahmad Ibn Muhammad al-Maqqari al-Tilimsani al-Andalusi (d. 1041/1631) writes in Kitab Nafh al-Tib:

Translation:

“A Bedouin was asked: how do you know your Lord exists? He replied: “Camel dung indicates camels, donkey dung indicates donkeys and footprints indicate travel. So the sky, with its constellations and the seas with its waves, do not these indicate the All-Knowing, the All-Powerful?” [ See al-Tilimsani, Nafh al-Tib min Ghusn al-Andalus al-Ratib (‘The Breath of Perfumes from the Boughs of Andalucía), vol.5, p.28]

Notes:

There are traces, marks or signatures that mark the existence of Allah. The imprint of Allah is in his creation much like the designer and manufacture imprint (whether stylistic or numerical) on a specific product. There are indications that the Creator Allah (swt) exists through evidence in His creation. The Bedouin made a simple attestation to there being a design imprint of Allah in His creation much how tracks left behind in the desert sand indicates a desert traveller and animal excrements left behind by an animal indicates its presence. In other words, there is design in the world that bears the mark of a ‘Designer’. [ In Ibn Rushd’s taxonomy, this argument is thoroughly Qur’anic and is called the Argument from Creation (dalil-ikhtira`). See Faith and Reason in Islam: Averroes Exposition of Religious Arguments, [Al-Kashf 'an Manahij al-Adilla fi `aqa’id al-Milla], tr. I. Najjar (Oxford, 2001), p.33. See C. S. Yaran, Islamic Thought on the Existence of God, pp.119-133 for basic surveys of the different arguments offered for the existence of God in Islamic thought.]

http://daralnicosia./2012/03/31/the-bedouin-and-the-existence-of-allah/

Fact: That statement was not made by the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as evidenced above.

You can not provide evidence of it, yet you insist on keeping it up. Every time, a new person reads it, you spread false info.

Note: The info was gotten from google.

Now, can you edit your post.

Assalamu aleikum.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by Shyeikulislam1(m): 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2013
10x very much for the reference. Thats what you should have done as a muslim. I have tried editing the hadith from your correction but its not going though. Is there you can help?
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by tbaba1234: 3:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
Shyeikul islam1: 10x very much for the reference. Thats what you should have done as a muslim. I have tried editing the hadith from your correction but its not going though. Is there you can help?

@bolded.
I did what was required of me. I brought your attention to it. It is not my muslim responsibility to look for the reference of some random story.

Ask the mods to edit it.
Re: How Do We Know That There Is A God by maclatunji: 5:47pm On Oct 03, 2013
Edited it.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Allowed To Use A Towel After Ghusl? / His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North / Did The Prophet Muhammad (sa) Appoint Imam Ali (as) As His Successor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.