Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,536 members, 7,823,336 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? (5926 Views)

Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by aitoehigie: 11:46am On Jun 27, 2008
Why are Nigerian programmers so smart? They are so smart that all they ever do is to develop:
1. Banking software (Which our banks will never use. Can you trust a Nigerian with money? take Yahoo Yahoo as a case study. The Nigerian programmer might probably put in a back orfice into the program to enable him siphon money from the bank anytime he wishes). Why would i use a crappy Nigerian software, when there are excellent banking software made in India?
2. Human Resource Managers : this is almost same as the above
3. Hospitality software: same as the above
4. Social networking sites and forums like "dollarland.com"
5. The list is endless

Lets try the be innovative.

P.S: NOW LET THE PERSONAL ATTACKS BEGIN
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by Mustay(m): 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2008
Oh God!

What really are your intentions on this forum?

If you think the Nigerian programmers aren't smart enough, why not teach them how to be smart or what is the essence of having knowledge you can't share?

Or aren't you a Nigerian?

if you want Nigeria programmers to be 'smarter' or dumber than they presently are, why not help them

We won't be using the PC if Gates kept his discovery.

aitoehigie:

Let's try to be innovative - Please take the lead
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by javalove(m): 3:37pm On Jun 27, 2008
Didnt want to reply to this but,

its obvious all u want is attention cos u have just written out what kind of nigerian programmer u are. sure, there are programmers who think like you, who don't know the processes involved in building such a huge application like a bnking app entails. All u know is to code. code and code.

And u called our softwares crappy, !!! I dont know aw much of .net ot java or c# u know or any language at that. Maybe u have been creating crappy softwares. I can tell u lots of naija programmers make better looking and functional apps than the so-called indian softwares. I can speak for myself sha at least,

Health, my health softwares are being used in up to 12 hospitals in lagos amd adamawa state and no hassles,

guy u need to understand aw i m feeling replying u. i m sooooo vexed, pls dont post topics like dis again, its a waste of webspace,

if u want to see my apps, check my facebook profile, got loads and loads of screenshots there,
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by ThePhantom(m): 8:01am On Jun 28, 2008
I get it now. You are just jealous that a guy like the owner of nairaland can just download a pre-package forum and have a successful site where you have been working on you so called online payment system for the past few years and still no where to launching it. Even if you launch you will ever be as success as this site because I can tell just from your post you have no sense, so go back to your payment system that no one will use. You are so sad, just enjoy life and stop been a bitch.

Done.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by malone5923(m): 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2008
Dude I think you need Yoga to release the stress and all the disapointments in your life try and let the hate flow from your body to the living water because your are just full of shit and dumb did i mention jealous and dumb like dumb and dummer
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by fallguy(m): 6:17pm On Jun 28, 2008
i just read your previous post on "why are nigerian programmers so dumb"

by your question , it could be assumed that you think yourself - a very smart programmer.

I think there's something , a lot of show and tell about programming or programmers in general.
and the minute some of these coders code sth. they think is great they start lambasting other programmers.
its not new.
joel spolsky , creator of fogsbuz or such, thinks u aint a coder until you've learnt C.
well, that wont stop universities churning out lots of C sharp and so coders.
paul graham , has a word for some coders,he calls them blub programmers.
etc.
if these are the outspoken ones,one can only imagine the amount of unspoken contempt bottled up in
some self acclaimed super programmer.
in a way, it very empty to think so.
what are you coding.if you place a mile long sheet of code on the street what does it mean to anybody,even other coders,
what does yahoo or google mean if not for the service it provides.
what's nairaland to the average nigerian if not a great convenience.
when the chips are down,
code is nothing but a service.
that's why most computer science graduates move away from low level coding into getting an MBA,
cuz if google or yahoo was made by super smart minds, you won't be posting mails or searching using
google if the business is distressed.
then the idea will die.
secondly, which idea cannot be replicated originally?
intelligence is rife.
infact , intelligence is so rife that it is not the issue,
the issue is speed to market.
that's why,
though super smart coders can create nairaland from scratch,
the market is mutually exclusive.
one member on nairaland is less inclined to register on anoda 'nairaland clone'.
one subscriber to yahoo is less likely to get anoda email id else where,
some people stop their search at google.if google can't find it, it can't befound.
be smart.
if you come to the market later than your competitor u may as well never have existed.
what killed the original netscape browser, slowness tocome to market:lack of business acumen.
infact, you mania is typical.
when you get older ,you'll discover, smartness is not everything.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by javalove(m): 7:09pm On Jun 28, 2008
fallguy:

i just read your previous post on "why are nigerian programmers so dumb"

by your question , it could be assumed that you think yourself - a very smart programmer.

I think there's something , a lot of show and tell about programming or programmers in general.
and the minute some of these coders code sth. they think is great they start lambasting other programmers.
its not new.
joel spolsky , creator of fogsbuz or such, thinks u aint a coder until you've learnt C.
well, that wont stop universities churning out lots of C sharp and so coders.
paul graham , has a word for some coders,he calls them blub programmers.
etc.
if these are the outspoken ones,one can only imagine the amount of unspoken contempt bottled up in
some self acclaimed super programmer.
in a way, it very empty to think so.
what are you coding.if you place a mile long sheet of code on the street what does it mean to anybody,even other coders,
what does yahoo or google mean if not for the service it provides.
what's nairaland to the average nigerian if not a great convenience.
when the chips are down,
code is nothing but a service.
that's why most computer science graduates move away from low level coding into getting an MBA,
because if google or yahoo was made by super smart minds, you won't be posting mails or searching using
google if the business is distressed.
then the idea will die.
secondly, which idea cannot be replicated originally?
intelligence is rife.
infact , intelligence is so rife that it is not the issue,
the issue is speed to market.
that's why,
though super smart coders can create nairaland from scratch,
the market is mutually exclusive.
one member on nairaland is less inclined to register on another 'nairaland clone'.
one subscriber to yahoo is less likely to get another email id else where,
some people stop their search at google.if google can't find it, it can't befound.
be smart.
if you come to the market later than your competitor u may as well never have existed.
what killed the original netscape browser, slowness tocome to market:lack of business acumen.
infact, you mania is typical.
when you get older ,you'll discover, smartness is not everything.

Gbam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by JUNIT1(m): 10:48am On Jul 02, 2008
nigerians are generally smart
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by alex406(m): 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2008
Generally smartness is ours and i think we are really doing great when it comes to software handling and program& script writing.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by saou2007(m): 12:16am On Jul 14, 2008
Fallguy says it all. we need to smart and if we are not the indians take the lead but if code and code but remember those marketing skins that brings out the big guns. Then our thread starter will come back here and apologise to Nigeria programmers for using that language. I wait to read is apology someday. SUN JAVA is not bad and remember a programmer is ahead of you. Just as i did in http://www.milewealthforum.com ROME was never build in a day. So guys keep coding. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by Afam(m): 12:02pm On Jul 14, 2008
It is one thing to develop software it is yet another thing to get clients pay for it or even use it.

Unfortunately, the decision to buy or to use lies in the hands of the buyer or user not you the developer.

I do not believe that Nigerian programmers restrict themselves to what the author listed because I have built Recruitment Management software for an oil servicing company even when they had used and tested a lot of foreign ones in the past.

The only problem I believe we have as Nigerians is the lack of originality and it is not restricted to programming, it is prevalent in almost every sphere of our lives - bandwagonism. We tend to do what others are doing, trying to replicate a solution we believe works instead of coming out with software that will solve everyday problems.

While we are at this, some of you may take a look at 2 web projects I just completed

www.jwspreview.com/boutique - Meant for boutiques

www.justautodealer.com - Meant for the automobile industry

The 2 web projects were developed from scratch in a matter of days and more will follow targeted at specific industries.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by A40(m): 2:17am On Jul 20, 2008
@fallguy
You deserve a Pullitzer for your fantastic post

Dont let Indians here yall if we are smart then they are at par with Einstein
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by SayoMarvel(m): 11:20pm On Jul 20, 2008
@Afam
I really enjoy the appearance of those web projects, i didn't surf around though.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by dono3a5(m): 10:39pm On Jul 18, 2010
Dude how many applications have you developed that you are insulting Nigerian programmers.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by gozzilla(m): 12:11pm On Jul 21, 2010
Are Nigerian Programmers so dumb? Really don't you think they are.
On the other hand are they really that dumb. I realized one thing about IT, it can only strife with the help of the government. The honest truth is that it is the government that has the money, and the right policy to embark on really interesting projects. Don't get me wrong, one can always come up with interesting idea, but nothing can beat an e-government idea. You can come up with say a pay system. For the government that could be e-pay system. The market is the citizen of the country. For you the market is just a fraction of the citizenry.

Stuffs like defense, education, health - the truth is all sector of government - can cause an IT revolution. Imagine the government asking all entry exams into any institution to be computer based. That is a billlion plus industry. Imagine the government networking the whole police force. When i mean networking i mean networking. All emergency calls can be monitored in one center - like the call center for Telecommunications. And talking about call centers - imagine the government enactiing a policy that forces all customer related company to have a functional call center.

The possibilities are enormous and endless. It will begin when the government begins but until then never give up on the smart Nigerian programmer he is smart but lacking opportunity
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by sphynxed(m): 1:07pm On Jul 21, 2010
I really do respect your explosionon on this issue but why waste your time on a bloke looking for undue attention.Best thing to do is ignore him because like someone said on your wall,teach them if you think you are more inovative.If Bill Gates had kept quiet about what he has,you will not have anywhere to post this trash-material you posted here.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by dellnet: 4:43pm On Jul 21, 2010
admin or moderators please delete this thread
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by lojik(m): 1:00am On Jul 22, 2010
Nice strategy to attract so much attention.
The poster really achieved his aim.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by guru02(m): 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2010
@poster
How dear you write such a post, i don't think you are a programmer?
Please stay clear of 9jerians programmers, because they are hotter than fire!!
Proudly naija.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by rekebel(f): 7:51pm On Nov 27, 2010
I'd love to make an obvious point on this issue of coding, decoding, programming, launching of website, whatever! U guys should take into account, "how many Nigerians that has access to internet. I am not talking about Nigerians in diaspora but those at home. It not surprising to me that greater number of our brothers and sisters do not have internet access. One thing to possess a PC (desktop or laptop) another is the be connected. How many Nigerians can afford making subscription from our internet and network providers that exploit us and no one since to be doing anything about it?. U can only think of programming or whatever if u have an access, if not u are only a typist trying to increase your typing speed and software packages usages if u are not connected. It would have been a different case if Nigerian can afford PC as we could afford TV's in our homes. This is an outcomes of unemployment and low income (capitalism).
Again, what kind of programming will u expect from a computer graduate that does not have a job and could not afford daily meals? I could remember that in 2007-2008 when I was serving in KD, we were about twenty corpers serving in same school then, only 2 of us have PC's: one connected and the other without internet access. Our internet cafes are taking from N150-300 for an hour surfing without assurance of any speed or connection. How many people can afford that? Do u know that even as am writing this, many towns in Nigeria could not boost of one internet cafe. Some have to travel to neighborhoods to browse the net.

I rest my case for now

SOLUTION
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by mexzony: 1:39pm On Dec 02, 2010
what do you want.to discredit the nigerian programmer or what.who do you think you are.ok i get it you want attention well you have got it.now keep quiet and post something that is more reasonable.what exactly have you done.i guess you are so smart that you dont even know your right from your left.i can bet that one of my fingers is better than your whole brain.up nigeria
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by MisterMan(m): 3:55pm On Dec 02, 2010
aitoehigie:

Why are Nigerian programmers so smart? They are so smart that all they ever do is to develop:
1. Banking software (Which our banks will never use. Can you trust a Nigerian with money? take Yahoo Yahoo as a case study. The Nigerian programmer might probably put in a back orfice into the program to enable him siphon money from the bank anytime he wishes). Why would i use a crappy Nigerian software, when there are excellent banking software made in India?
2. Human Resource Managers : this is almost same as the above
3. Hospitality software: same as the above
4. Social networking sites and forums like "dollarland.com"
5. The list is endless

The guy is saying the truth. Why the personal attack? He absolutely has a right to his own views. People do NOT need to be this insulting.
Some body claimed to have written some software and another developed some sites. Great. How many programmers are in Nigeria? If 1 or 2 programmers have done that, how about others? All people (programmers) are interested in is to work in banks. Agreed, we have so many issues with working environment: light, internet access etc. The truth is a lot of programmers are lazy. It starts from school. Teachers themselves are ignorant of mordern trends. People go to other schools are copy projects. When somebody cannot write a simple 'Hello World' code, how do you expect those people to turn out great codes.

I remember sometimes ago Kobojunkie came out with a beautiful project. How many signed up? What became of the project. Do you want to hear the truth? Nigerian programmers are lazy.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by rekebel(f): 7:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
This is not a time to condemn anyone. We are entitled to air our views and to react positively or negatively in a given situation. I will never be a part of any group that will discourage good ideology rather I will encourage Nigerians to sit up. Although we may be so backward due to the effect of socioeconomic situation, we can still catch up. I'm not good in programming and am not willing to start.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by sleekdude1(m): 9:52am On Dec 03, 2010
@ java love, What is your name on facebook and whats your email adress. Please leave me a message here dextatek@gmail.com. Thanks.

@ every 1, please take it easy on this guy, he is just expressing himself ok.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by timchuks87: 3:52pm On Dec 04, 2010
Wic. Sarcasism, but not finely done. This is no attack-reply.
@fallguy said most what i would have said, but to stress a pooint that was played down  in his spiel. Smartness does play a key role. Supreriority is not sustained on first come, first service bases, out performing your competitors on every front retains you your stance.

Yahoomail was before gmail, but the former is way behind the latter, gmail provides better email experience, and spam protection. The ID security is SUP. Last month during the unveil of facebook email service, it was rumoured to be a gmail killer, if gmail wasn't the best why pitch your weight against her. Some may want to argue it but lets leave it for some other thread. Check your yahoomail spam and see important messages about to be deleted. enough said!

Right from the start Google has always played smarter, coding wise and businesswise, hence their fame.

Will just touch one more thing.
I here through out the thread comparision between us and the indians, Indians Aren't the best they are just cheaper.No offence. And more determined than the most of Us.

@misterman said sth that cant be overlooked, Though he phrased it wrongly, Nigerians are a slow bunch.we react very slowly to things, No offence to Nairaland, but this forum should have found a strong competitor, perhaps knocked out. functionality are bare, i could not even add a friend on the forum, if u cant add a friend how do you kp a personal portfolio. Which active forum on the internet today is still this bare.SAD.

in a different setting nairaland would have been drained of followership, by a better forum. But it has Nigerians to thank, not particularly long standing presence.

For the harsh life here, Nigerians are excused of not measuring up more prominently.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by gozzilla(m): 12:17am On Dec 06, 2010
MisterMan:

I remember sometimes ago Kobojunkie came out with a beautiful project. How many signed up? What became of the project. Do you want to hear the truth? Nigerian programmers are lazy.

I remember the project(s) llike it was yesterday. I just hope someone gives it a try again. 2 years is a long time for a lot of changes. I hope so.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 06, 2010
MisterMan:

The guy is saying the truth. Why the personal attack? He absolutely has a right to his own views. People do NOT need to be this insulting.
Some body claimed to have written some software and another developed some sites. Great. How many programmers are in Nigeria? If 1 or 2 programmers have done that, how about others? All people (programmers) are interested in is to work in banks. Agreed, we have so many issues with working environment: light, internet access etc. The truth is a lot of programmers are lazy. It starts from school. Teachers themselves are ignorant of mordern trends. People go to other schools are copy projects. When somebody cannot write a simple 'Hello World' code, how do you expect those people to turn out great codes.

i disagree.
if you are good at what you do, you sure wont have much time for stuffs. we are responsible for how we spend our time and since we own our time, we are free to decide how we spend it, we are not multithreaded.

@poster
you need to do something better with your life, something we will see and be proud a Nigerian did this
forget web payment, there are payment systems all over the place. Paypal, authorize.net, google checkout, interswitch, e-transact, Visa, e-gold etc
so what are u coming up with that is different from what we already have?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by MisterMan(m): 2:14pm On Dec 10, 2010
webdezzi:

i disagree.
if you are good at what you do, you sure wont have much time for stuffs. we are responsible for how we spend our time and since we own our time, we are free to decide how we spend it, we are not multithreaded.
I hope you are not taking my comment as personal. I agree with you that you (not just you, but everybody) have a right to decide what they do with their time. Do you realise that thousands of people are equally good at what they do and still contribute to writing SMF (the board that Seun is using), countless of people are contributing codes to other great software. Check out SourceForge and you will realise what I am saying.

To butress your point further that people are entittled to spending their time as they deem fit, I did not sign up for the code I mentioned. Why? I have a similar project that I was handling at the time. How will I be able to do it without a conflict of interest? The honourable and the right thing to do then was to withdraw. The truth is that it is not everybody that has a a project that conflicted with Kobojunkie's initiated project.

The truth is that a lot of our so called programmers cannot and do not code. That is the truth. Cheers and good bye
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 10, 2010
how are u sure, many others dont have similar projects they are handling. d fact that u did not join in puts you in a position where you should not have raised the dust.

MisterMan:

The truth is that a lot of our so called programmers cannot and do not code. That is the truth. Cheers and good bye
sure, not all abokis with cobbling tools can fix your shoe.
some will create more havoc.

Neways, i didnt take it personal.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by dammytosh: 2:33pm On Dec 14, 2010
I am surprised that after ignoring this post for 2 years, i am still compelled to say something after all.

@Poster. Nothing works perfectly for Nigerian Business, like softwares developed locally. The much revered Indian Banking softwares needs Nigerian programmers to keep them alive (Dont bother arguing about this, I know what i am talking about)

Many banks have changed their online banking platform from Indian made to local made. GTB's internet banking was built 100% in house and i heard a lot of banks are joining soon.

Local softwares have replaced Peach tree, sage etc in many organizations. You might not be able to talk beyond what you can see, so i understand with you.

--- My opinion
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by rexyjay(m): 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2010
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? by MisterMan(m): 2:17pm On Dec 15, 2010
webdezzi:

how are u sure, many others dont have similar projects they are handling. d fact that u did not join in puts you in a position where you should not have raised the dust.
sure, not all abokis with cobbling tools can fix your shoe.
some will create more havoc.

Neways, i didnt take it personal.
I have been around for long to know some things. I have interacted with so many programmers to know what is on ground. Compare the number of programmers we have and with the number of software and you know what I am talking about. Mind you, I am not just blaming our programmers. The environment is simply killing.

I laugh with this your comment: , d fact that u did not join in puts you in a position where you should not have raised the dust. '' What dust did I raise, if I may ask?. The original poster was unduely attacked and I gave an opinion that supported his claim. Does that mean raising dust?

rexyjay:

When you start a serious coding session and then NEPA casts a shadow over your project, it's then you begin to understand that it's the system that principally makes us all seem silly aside many other factors militating against effective application development. You can imagine that Computer science lecturers are still teaching students archaic programming languages as Pascal and Fortran in this age when we're supposed to be catching up with PHP & MySQL, Java, ASP, and so forth.
That is exactly what I am saying. I should know because That is what I do and I live in Nigeria. Would you believe that for the past few weeks, light has been so eratic? Internet access is so expensive that it is prohibitive. In the town where I live, it is not only expensive, but very unreliable. It is very frustrating paying for internet access and not getting your money's worth. At least for some people, it is expensive, but then they get their money's worth. How about paying and not getting the service?

I am into software development and I know what the situation is. If we are innovative enough and the environment is OK, we should be exporting software to other countries in Africa.
We have many problems. It starts with the lecturers. How many of them know about modern languages. All they do is to teach Quick Basic and Basica in the new age. The truth is that some of them are ignorant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vb.net Calculator / IQ And Programming... Does Having A High IQ Make You A Better Programmer? / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.