Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,446 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform (4826 Views)

Mr. President, What Happened To Your Road Map For Power Reform? / Jonathan's Power Reform Is Positive,working and on track / The Nigerian Government Power Reform Road Map. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Fynestboi: 6:19am On Oct 01, 2013
fynestboi: THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says it has disbursed over N109 billion to 20 companies in support of the ongoing power reform in the country. The CBN Governor, Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, disclosed this in Abuja at a Special Forum on ‘Financing the Power Sector Reforms for Economic Development’.

“The CBN provided $10 million grant to the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) which is what financed the entire privatisation process. In the interim, we provided long term fixed single digit interest rate funds for power investments by manufacturers.

“We’ve disbursed over N109 billion to 20 companies and I believe we added about 500 mega watts of electricity generation capacity to this country,’’ he said.
Sanusi said the apex bank had reviewed potential guidelines recognising longer time formation for asset quality. He also said that the CBN, in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance, was working to review the development financing institutions to create one institution that can finance development. Sanusi said that lending for privatisation was the first step, but “the only way loan gets back to the banks will be if investment are made in the other value chain’’.

“If a bank puts money to fund a generating plant and the plant does not have gas, does not produce power, it will end up with a bad loan. Therefore, we need to look at all the investment going into gas, generation, metering, and transmission.

“I hope we recognise this as an important first and final step in financing the power sector,’’ he said. Also commenting on bank lending to the power sector, Mr Andrew Alli, President African Finance Corporation, said the organisation had been the technical adviser to the CBN on power and aviation sectors intervention fund since the inception of the fund.

He said the corporation had disbursed about N226 billion to projects in both sectors with about N110 billion going into 23 unit power projects financed by eleven banks.

Alli said about seven projects were still waiting for disbursement from another six banks with total financing value of about N12 billion. He named some of the sponsored projects to include Akute, an independent power plant that provides power to Lagos State, Dangote Cement in Obajana and Igbeshe and WABCO Nestle, among others.

“In terms of impact, we have financed about 790 megawatts, almost 800 megawatts of power, which is equivalent to 25 per cent of the power generated on the national grid,’’ he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/cbn-disburses-n109bn-support-power-reform/

1 Like

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Infomizer(m): 6:36am On Oct 01, 2013
Power Must Change Hands *runs to MFM church*...Lol
I hope this translates to what it should translate to and not just another gist to raise people's hopes. Anyways, we've gotta be optimistic and one day we just might get what we crave. Nice move tho'.

1 Like

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Blesyn014(m): 6:49am On Oct 01, 2013
No one disbursed for ASUU?
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Ngwakwe: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2013
I thought someone said Nigeria is bankrupt or about to be declared insolvent

The CBN governor is indeed the 37th Governor in Nigeria and has the highest undisclosed budget.

1 Like

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by otokx(m): 7:31am On Oct 01, 2013
That money should have been disbursed to 20 federal universities for the construction of lecture halls.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by joshuaidibia(m): 7:41am On Oct 01, 2013
D mago mago N302BN of NNPC plus dis N109BN is equal N411BN. and all we're askn fr N400BN to gt bk to sch. Nawa o. Hapy independence my blak a$$
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Danhumprey: 7:58am On Oct 01, 2013
This isn't about disbursement. This is about ensuring that the money disbursed is used well and for the purpose for which it was disbursed. We don't want to hear of embezzlement or that the money was laundered or that part of the money was directed to private pockets.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Tintinix: 8:30am On Oct 01, 2013
Blesyn014: No one disbursed for ASUU?

I feel for you! Na the one wey concern you!!
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Brimmie(m): 8:43am On Oct 01, 2013
Still Typing...
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by gare(f): 8:56am On Oct 01, 2013
Its a pity we are still having this the power issues, I had thought at the beginning of Jonathans administration he would have focus mainly on power, which other problems would have being solved indirectly.

I have being privileged to be part of a power projects and I know all it takes to build a power plant and get its transmission line in place. Will be very easy for each state to own its power plant just like Lagos and Akwa Ibom state. And with the excess gas we have that will fire the turbines we will be sure of regular power which will in turn improve the standards of living, because a lot of cottage industries will spring up prices of goods produced in the country will reduce,because of spending less on diesels, a lot of new investment will spring up and create new jobs, but our gov't is not helping us,they allow themselves to be blackmailed by sabotours thereby losing focus.

Its not too late for Jonathan to revive this country and become a hero, only he would seek advice from the good persons,he should forget about the G7 and do what he was elected, and well done he will be surprised at the kind of support he will have,there is till time to make amends he should as a matter of urgency focus on this power issues and if he succeed he would amazed at the support he will get.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by VoteOutPDPJona: 9:00am On Oct 01, 2013
And PHCN workers are protesting over unpaid severance package as agreed upon with the federal government. Aftermath of president Jonathan handing over PHCN to private investors with just 25% of PHCN staff paid off. If in doubt, ask PHCN workers in Jos, Plateau state.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by gare(f): 9:16am On Oct 01, 2013
VoteOutPDPJona: And PHCN workers are protesting over unpaid severance package as agreed upon with the federal government. Aftermath of president Jonathan handing over PHCN to private investors with just 25% of PHCN staff paid off. If in doubt, ask PHCN workers in Jos, Plateau state.

Well would not believe that story of yours do you have any proof to your statement above?

And this phcn people have held us hostage for so long they should go or else we will force them out by force,they are criminals and we are tire of them we need new hands your saw what happened to NITEL now we are all happy.

If we continue to give in to thier cheap. Blackmail then we will not move on.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Afolabs101: 9:53am On Oct 01, 2013
Most of these loans were given to captive clients where the electricity that will be produced will not go to the National Grid. Akute/Lagos State is for Lagos State government sites, Dangote's is for his factories, same with Nestle etc.

In order for the masses to feel an improvement, we'll have to wait some time. Here's why:

1- The gencos and discos that were privatized were bought over by people using debt rather than their equity. Basically these consortiums took huge loans to pay for these privatized assets.

2- This means that before they can raise funding for upgrade and expansion, they'll need to liquidate the loans they took to buy the assets. We should be looking at 4 to 8 years before that happens.

What should happen is the consortium buy the asset with their own equity, then they can take loans for development against the asset they have bought. So that upgrading can start as soon as they take over. Or government should have offered them a long payment plan.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by VoteOutPDPJona: 12:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
gare:

Well would not believe that story of yours do you have any proof to your statement above?

And this phcn people have held us hostage for so long they should go or else we will force them out by force,they are criminals and we are tire of them we need new hands your saw what happened to NITEL now we are all happy.

If we continue to give in to thier cheap. Blackmail then we will not move on.

You definitely did not follow the news yesterday (September 30, 2013). You would have seen/heard PHCN workers threatening not to quit their posts until they were paid off by the FG as agreed. I agree with you that PHCN workers had held us to the jugular and really deserved to be butted out. That not withstanding, agreement is agreement. The FG should pay their sorry ars.es off as agreed.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Godwinsilas(m): 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2013
Good one, love naija till i kick pot.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by kentochi(m): 3:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
this is a welcome development.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
joshua idibia: D mago mago N302BN of NNPC plus dis N109BN is equal N411BN. and all we're askn fr N400BN to gt bk to sch. Nawa o. Hapy independence my blak a$$

After giving you the 400B and you go back to school in few yrs you will be back again to ask for another 400B.... ASUU's problem is greediness. Have patience as this strike issue is sorted out once and for all so that you wont have to be demanding for 400b every few yrs.

1 Like

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by BrosPeter: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
Blesyn014: No one disbursed for ASUU?

Nothing for ASUU until they leave politics for politicians.

1 Like

Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by eightsin(m): 5:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria must move forward.
For those that were affected...i'm sorry.
Bt life goes on.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by manny4life(m): 5:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afolabs101: Most of these loans were given to captive clients where the electricity that will be produced will not go to the National Grid. Akute/Lagos State is for Lagos State government sites, Dangote's is for his factories, same with Nestle etc.

In order for the masses to feel an improvement, we'll have to wait some time. Here's why:

1- The gencos and discos that were privatized were bought over by people using debt rather than their equity. Basically these consortiums took huge loans to pay for these privatized assets.

2- This means that before they can raise funding for upgrade and expansion, they'll need to liquidate the loans they took to buy the assets. We should be looking at 4 to 8 years before that happens.

What should happen is the consortium buy the asset with their own equity, then they can take loans for development against the asset they have bought. So that upgrading can start as soon as they take over. Or government should have offered them a long payment plan.

One word: RUBBISH
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by tspun(m): 5:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
let there be light !!!!
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by tspun(m): 5:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
otokx: That money should have been disbursed to 20 federal universities for the construction of lecture halls.
shut up. What have they done with the sku fees and other fees student pay to them and all the allocation from fed. Govt. I'm sorry if i sound nasty, all i need is LIGHT:..
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by terryjohn7: 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
otokx: That money should have been disbursed to 20 federal universities for the construction of lecture halls.

O boy ur comment funny o
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Afolabs101: 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

One word: RUBBISH

I work for the institution that manages the Power and Aviation Intervention Fund (PAIF) so I have first hand information. If you want to refute my points, put up an argument.

It's extremely childish to just say "rubbish" with absolutely no rebuttal or opposing view.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by taharqa: 8:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afolabs101:

I work for the institution that manages the Power and Aviation Intervention Fund (PAIF) so I have first hand information. If you want to refute my points, put up an argument.

It's extremely childish to just say "rubbish" with absolutely no rebuttal or opposing view.
My frnd, d prospective investors put up sm Equity b4 d Banks agreed to provide them with d Debt instrument; and d total Financial faciility that were arranged was both to pay for d acquisition of d asserts AND sm money set aside for sm initial investments that wud be used to resusistate those assets as well as expanding them. Moreova, even though there wud not be Lateral competition as you rightly pointed out, particularly for d DISCOs, there wud be a very healthy push by these DISCOs to improve efficiency and provide reliable power to as many customers as possible cos that is d ONLY way they can get those customers to pay the rates and recoup the huge investments they made (and wud still be making) in acquiring and expanding the assets. This is d ONLY way they can maximise profit, esp seeing that the Power Market wud have both an INDEFINITE (24/7, 365 days of d year) and INELASTIC Demand.....
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Afolabs101: 10:32pm On Oct 01, 2013
There's a huge amount of investment needed especially here in Lagos, to get to the stage we need to.

Only time will tell whether these consortiums are able to raise that investment as they are. I'm sure if they list they'll be able to raise some good equity which is what they need.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by samilo88(m): 10:50pm On Oct 01, 2013
So bros Na lecture halls be your problem?
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by Smartjeezy(m): 11:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
Plz what will happen to our previous debited bills?Nepa and their crazy bill is dead.
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by modestdude(m): 3:35am On Oct 02, 2013
In sean paul's voice 'Gimme the light...' That's what i need and i will drop out of school. 90% of World billionaires and Inventors are school dropouts. Fvck ASUU, what are they teaching?
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by InvertedHammer: 4:19am On Oct 02, 2013
/

XMAS GIFT IN ADVANCE to looters

/
Re: CBN Disburses N109bn To Support Power Reform by UDENSCO: 9:17am On Oct 02, 2013
It baffles me that every time we talk about power. When will we get there? How is deceiving who?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Omisore Leads In Agodi, Ilesha And Kirikri Prisons With Wide A Margin / Difficult Times: Nigeria Needs God’s Intervention More Than Ever - Ugwuanyi / So SW Isn't Homogenous Yoruba : Just Learnt Of The Ogu(egun) People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.