Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,305 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Nigeria At 53: To Roll Out The Drums Or Not? - We've all ignored something! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria At 53: To Roll Out The Drums Or Not? - We've all ignored something! (445 Views)

Nigeria At 53 - What Has Been Your Story So Far? / President Jonathan’s Nigeria At 53 Speech - Full Text / What Is Nigeria Celebrating At 53? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria At 53: To Roll Out The Drums Or Not? - We've all ignored something! by Pattey(m): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2013
Tafawa Balewa once spoke about how Nigeria can be united and progressive. Can't remember his actual words now but I'll put it thus; For Nigeria to be united and move forward, we must identify our difference, address these differences, embrace those differences and accept one another as we truly are.

Our strength lies in our diversity. Different people with different ideas and capabilities. Until we respect one another, we can never be united.

I may dislike you as an Igbo man cos I think you value money more than life, I may scoff at the Mallam on my street and within me call him a Cow, see that Yoruba guy waiting for his father's inheritance and say Lazy bones. In all of this; it should be limited to the content of individual character.

In NYSC orientation camp I sooo disliked the Igbos there. Why? They were all forming "voltron" I.e cliques and acting like segregationists. . . Guess what, of all the 'real friends' I made in camp; 2 were Yoruba, @least 8 were Igbo, and 1; Hausa.

I never would have imagined I'd end up with Igbo friends since I equally avoided them for being 'racist' in camp. After camp? Majority, of my acquaintances were still Igbo! Especially the girls (best part grin)!

The hausa guy still calls me regularly. . . But when last did I hear from my 'Yoruba' friends? When they do, I know itl probably cost me something cheesy

If you're from the North and I feel you act like a cow I'll call you a Cow, not because I perceive the North as such; but because you established yourself as a COW! Same for attributes in other tribes. Individuality is the key!

I am a Nigerian, no more, no less! I couldn't care less how the people in your 'locale' are reputed, I'll let show me who you are as an individual.

For while it may seem majority posses attributes we dislike, in the end, Our interactions as per individual basis should be the final judge.

We are free Nigerians; at least, we ought to be, don't let's hold ourselves captive in a jail of hatred, suspicion and general discord.

53 years of failure? yes!
Will it get better? I don't know!
Can it get better? Absolutely Yes!. . . Its up to each and everyone of us to make it happen.

Psalm 122:6 (New King James Version) Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you."

Nigerians, Pray for the peace of Nigeria so that you may also prosper and live in peace. If Nigeria does not prosper or experience peace; you also can not. That's the plain truth. More than prayers, conduct yourselves in ways Nigeria will be at peace and prosperous.

If you haven't said it today, please do it now; God bless you Nigeria!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria At 53: To Roll Out The Drums Or Not? - We've all ignored something! by shevon: 11:05am On Oct 01, 2013
You couldn't have put it any better. The moment we stop seeing each other as part of an ethnic denomination and see ourselves as Nigerians, only then can we solve the heaviest of our burdens as a country.
Criticize whoever is not doing well by the capacity of his office and not on the backdrop of his ethnicity. Demand for good governance instead of playing the blame game. Take responsibility as a country and not claim innocence because the person seen as causing the trouble is not from "your part of the country"... The list can go on forever!
My people, no matter how much we hate this country, no matter how much we try to see who is to blame for our woes, if we don't look beyond the problems and start seeking solutions to the problems, we will never move ahead.
I know a lot of people will come to say there is nothing to celebrate, but none of you will believe that by the virtue our (me and my colleague's) presence in our Romania office, there was a celebration of our 53rd Independence day here in Romania! Yet, back home some (instead of praying and working towards the good of the country) will choose to curse and insult fellow country men.
Our hate for each other would drive us down the path of disintegration if we don't nip the situation in the bud.
May we all live to experience a blissful Nigeria. May God help us all.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A President Without Balls By Femi Fani Kayode / This Clearly Shows The Spirits Of The Dead In His Era As Aviation Minister Haunt / Revenue Shortfalls Affects Payment Of Goverment Workers Salaries At All Levels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.