Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,336 members, 7,957,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:57 PM

Small Challenge On Html And Css - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Small Challenge On Html And Css (1093 Views)

Free New E-book On HTML And CSS / Write HTML And CSS Codes On Android Devices / How To: Create A Simple Hover Button With Html And Css (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Small Challenge On Html And Css by mambenanje(m): 5:03pm On Jun 27, 2008
who can write the html and css of a full webpage on paper with pencil and give to typist to just type it in notepad and save as index.html and its a good site ?
imagine the site in ur head, write down from the <html> tag till the </html> tag and give someone who just knows how to type and save it to .html and its good and presentable wink
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by OmniPotens(m): 5:11pm On Jun 27, 2008
I will give it a trial but I think easy web will be possible. Just the complex ones is going to be a headache.

Let me give it a trial.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by yawatide(f): 5:17pm On Jun 27, 2008
@omnipotens
I beg to differ. A good "webmaster" should be able to do so in their sleep. That is why I don't advocate the use of DW for beginners. Code in notepad, and you can code anywhere. Why do you think so many of us here have asked questions about their code that boil down pretty much to a lack of basic understanding of underlying code?

@mambe
Your question reminds me of a situation where I come to you and say, "teach me french". That would be a tall order. What I should rather ask is, "mambe, how do I say 'He is not here. He is in France (i know it is, "il n'est pas la. Il est a nice" but i digress tongue)"?

My point? Give a specific assignment, probably a short one and ask pple to paste their code for review. As a matter of fact, I have one:

I want a website with 2 columns, the left for navigation and the right for content. Widths don't matter but I don't want it done using tables.

Now, that's better wink
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by OmniPotens(m): 5:28pm On Jun 27, 2008
@ yawa

I said I could but for little confusing and complex layouts, little mistakes could occur therein.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by yawatide(f): 5:32pm On Jun 27, 2008
@omnipotens
Little mistakes are okay, at least by me. you learn from your mistakes. What is bad is when you can't do it at all. Who is above mistakes? Certainly not me.

If you look at mambe's post again, you will see he hasn't specified that it has to be mistake-free wink
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by hanen(f): 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2008
I could, but why would I ?

It's a bit like parking your brand new Toyota and walking a 100 miles.

It's possible, but its slower and more tiring.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by yawatide(f): 6:41pm On Jun 27, 2008
@hanen
Nice try tongue I retort with this question, "what happens if your brand new toyota, full of computer chips and gadgets, develops a computer glitch? better yet, suppose you had to close a million $$ account, your car was down and there was no one or no public trans to help you in sight? what then?"

When it comes to coding, you have to understand what is happening. Sure, you can click and drag and get a site up and running in 5 minutes but again, at least based on some posts on here, what if something goes wrong and you can't fix it because you have no idea what code lies underneath?

There are many instances where I have had to write some code and didn't have access to an editor. This has happened a lot in cafes. What do I do? I pull up cPanel on my web host, click on "code editor" and make my changes.

Again, at the risk of sounding like a uni lecturer, coding in notepad isn't mandatory but is necessary.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by hanen(f): 7:17pm On Jun 27, 2008
AH, if my car develops a hitch. I could WALK!

Hey, I'm not saying i dont know how
A lotof the time, Ill use code view to make sure thigns dont mess up, but i wont design a site from scratch to finish!!!, but if there's dreamweaver around, darn it ill use it! grin
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by yawatide(f): 7:47pm On Jun 27, 2008
A lotof the time, Ill use code view

The words in bold come together to form the key phrase my friend wink
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by webguru(m): 8:01pm On Jun 27, 2008
@yawa
u're feeling like a good coder eh wink

why waste time wt notepad when u can use DW

I love DW especially when i learnt how to use it for uploading

DW rocks

pls show us a site u designed using notepad grin
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by yawatide(f): 8:21pm On Jun 27, 2008
@webguru
1) The word you are looking for is, "developed" not "designed".

2) Coding a site via notepad isn't the issue here because whether you use DW or notepad, the results will be the same. It's not like on a site *developed* via notepad, a flash object zooms in and out of sight with the verbiage, "this site proudly developed with notepad". Having said that, I happen to use homesite which is as close to notepad you could get.

3) If you want to know more about me, professionally, that is, send me a mail. That's all you have to do. I am not too big in the "let me show the whole world what I am capable of" department.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by mambenanje(m): 8:34pm On Jun 27, 2008
@yawa-ti-de
nice french example, and as for notepad I believe its a good way to test your proficiency in web design. Actually my test was even to go further and not type the codes in notepad but to write them up on piece of paper with pen and pencil then you hand it to another person to just type it and save as index.html
that way if you can come up with it [ even with errors as yawa right said ] then you can know how good you are.
you imagine, you write the html with inline css on paper which means you wont save from time to time to preview what you have done soo far, then you give to another person who somehow doesnt knwo anything about webpages. Then the person will just type and save it and its a web page wink
This is not the way to go to in a production site, but its a way to test your proficiency in html and css
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by hanen(f): 9:36am On Jun 28, 2008
Guys, really. There's nothing there. Really. As yawa said, whether use DW or notepad results are the same. So, why the whole 'challenge'? Is there some competition out there for the web designer thats better at giving himself stress im not aware of? If someone can code purely from notepad and chooses to do so, great. If u use dreamweaver, great. As a personal choice I use DW when its available (which it almost always is). Notepad when i dont.

We really need more productive topics in this section; like troubleshooting 'how do I, ?', instead of all these, 'i think im good, what about you' discussions/challenges. undecided
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by mambenanje(m): 11:45am On Jun 28, 2008
@hanen
I dont see why you are against my topic, or do you want a fight with me if so girl I am sorry I am not into using bad words in forums wink
well I put up the idea so that guys can just do some personal assessment. look at the topic, I didnt say guys should post the code in here, just to write html with pen and paper to see your mastery of it.
If you dont like this topic why did you comment girl
If you think its not making sense why dont you post the topic that will make sense

I realy dont admire people attacking others for no just cause, add your view and leave it as it is. if you dont like a topic, ignore it dont try to proof to be better at thinking and creatinng topics, just go on and create the better one wink
ok pleasee guys if you realy think your comfortable with html and css just try writing full page on paper away from computer then give someone to type. I think it will give you some personal review.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by hanen(f): 11:26am On Jun 29, 2008
@mambenjame

Sigh, Oya no vex.

Abeg, carry on your discussion.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by isykelvin: 8:43pm On Jul 04, 2008
s
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 04, 2008
i can read through your html code and tell what each does,
so, Just like hanen, i will ask you another version of that question

Why knock your head on a wall erected by someone's laziness when here is another wall that someone took the stress to plug a door into.

if you still want to say "yes, it makes you a bad coder"

Then, why use notepad in the first place

you can as well start from scratch, write php codes to create the php files, write contents to the file, and write an ftp application to upload it to your custom built web server (not apache). Remember to create your own hard drive to store those files (you can google for a manual on blacksmithing).

you have to build on what others have done and use applications that makes life easier, your part will be to concentrate on improving on the standards we have in place.

TO ME, what the poster suggested is a challenge which i think, not so sure, i will be able to do without mistakes, at the same time, mistakes are ok for me because i learn from them

Anyway, anyone heard of the http://www.bynigerians.com contest?

I saw the mail in my box and i think its time we see what yawa has for us?

I hope to see webmonk in the contest too.
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by Mustay(m): 7:12am On Jul 05, 2008
@ webdezzi

abi o
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by mambenanje(m): 11:08am On Jul 05, 2008
hey webdezzi
nice like www.bynigerians.com I was still working with some partners to setup something like that for cameroon and I have just seen this. its a wonderfull idea
benefits:
- more nigerians will be aware of web standards
- more nigerian talents will get a means to expose themselves

overall such a competition will help the web industry in nigeria grow. and the bynigerian site itself is a very good example [ very nice and explicit design]
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by cdeveloper(m): 9:00am On Jul 09, 2008
I remember how frustrated i was trying to build my site and keep getting power outage and at a point i decided i was done with the power thing. i picked up my plane sheets which i still have with me got down to biz, writing building my site layout on papers using DIVs and CSS after two days of consistent work, i was done with my site and i did not border again with the power thing cos all i do whenever they decided to flash the light was to type in my code and save it quickly. I was doing that with the off and on of this power guys until i was done with it. Just a little adjustment did i do and my site was up and slick.
I am used to building my site purely from code view and that gives my the power to place thing apropriately on each page. I am not familiar with Dreamweaver, cos the first time i used it it crashed my system, so i stopped using it .
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by Mustay(m): 9:06am On Jul 09, 2008
cdeveloper:

I am used to building my site purely from code view and that gives my the power to place thing apropriately on each page. I am not familiar with Dreamweaver, because the first time i used it it crashed my system, so i stopped using it .
hmm
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by mambenanje(m): 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2008

I remember how frustrated i was trying to build my site and keep getting power outage and at a point i decided i was done with the power thing. i picked up my plane sheets which i still have with me got down to biz, writing building my site layout on papers using DIVs and CSS after two days of consistent work, i was done with my site and i did not border again with the power thing because all i do whenever they decided to flash the light was to type in my code and save it quickly. I was doing that with the off and on of this power guys until i was done with it. Just a little adjustment did i do and my site was up and slick.
I am used to building my site purely from code view and that gives my the power to place thing apropriately on each page. I am not familiar with Dreamweaver, because the first time i used it it crashed my system, so i stopped using it

Finaly I find someone who is realy powerfull and I like that.
Kudos cdeveloper
Re: Small Challenge On Html And Css by smartsoft(m): 7:30pm On Jul 09, 2008
well i think ya wa is trying to point out is,  been a webmaster without the knowledge of Coding that boils down to zero,  like a day i was trying to create a membership website and when a customers registers and try to get username and password, the stuff registers,  without given you username and password, also when you hit the register button it tells you thanks you for registering,  but if i don't know how to code from starts,  i will be so dumb.  just like having a CSS and HTML, there are some times i just design, and i leave the DW thing and go to the Code View and sort things out,

(1) (Reply)

How To Accept Online Payments From My Website / Bloggers Only / Web4africa Ltd Acquires 100% Stake In Nairahost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.