Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Boiling Water In The Microwave - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Boiling Water In The Microwave (1964 Views)

What Exactly Is The Microwave Doing To Your Food? / 5 Advantages Of Drinking Water In The Morning / Caution: Boiling Water In Microwave Ovens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boiling Water In The Microwave by specialman: 11:55am On Jun 06, 2006
A 26-year old person decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup
of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil.

When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but instantly the water in the cup “blew up" into his face. shocked

The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face, which may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye.

While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such

as: a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a teakettle.

General Electric's response:
Thanks for contacting us. I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Micro waved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all.

The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it. To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 08, 2006
THANKS FOR THIS ADVISE

I AM VERY FOND OF BOILING WATER WITH THE MICROWAVE, I NEVER KNEW ITS THIS DANGEROUS

THANKS O

I CANT IMAGINE HAVING THOSE BURNS

I WISH THE VICTIM QUICK RECOVERY.
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by Seun(m): 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2006
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by Rlst84sale(m): 3:38am On Apr 07, 2007
Please read more about microwave is not healthy for you
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by JayBaby1(f): 5:14am On Apr 07, 2007
how can someone boil water in a microwave? Its like cooking rice in a microwave - isint it?
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by echowords(m): 1:51am On Apr 10, 2007
Like woh, you mean i was this close to losing my eye sight. I do this like all the time.
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by Seun(m): 1:57am On Apr 10, 2007
Unless your cup and the water you are boiling are absolutely clean, this is highly unlikely.
If you can see bubbles in the water you are boiling, then it's unlikely to have been superheated.
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by i4serious: 12:27am On Apr 23, 2007
I never heard this b4.I always boil water in the micro wave to make eba when am outside my home.But it always show bubble that is, it has reached a certain heating level.But I don't usually cover the plastic that I use in boiling it.
I had a similar experience when I was boiling an egg, in the micro-wave I thought it was o.k so I decided to remove it.As I was trying to peel off the shell ,my God it exploded and made a serious sound everything got spilled into my face if not for God something else would have happened.The shambles entered into my eyes lid.
Since then like this 'mo se ere gele mo'.I have not tried it again
May God heal the victim speedily.
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by Rlst84sale(m): 9:00pm On Apr 24, 2007
I just wonder what kind of harm we are causing to our body by consuming foods and drinks heated in the microwave if it builds up so much energy to explode in such manners. And when it does not explode, the food we heat retains such radiation/energy and we send it right into our body. God will open our eyes.
Re: Boiling Water In The Microwave by echowords(m): 9:12am On May 01, 2007
Radiated Coffee. cool
cool

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Treatment For A Stubborn Sore Wound? / Greenlife Royal Tea / Satisfy Your Woman 24 Hours In Bed Naturally(adullt Class)caution : Over 18 Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.