Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

The Average Nigerian Is Short - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Average Nigerian Is Short (8743 Views)

What The Average American Will Look Like In 2050 - National Geographic / When A Nigerian Is Raped: Help Is Available! Where To Find It! / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Average Nigerian Is Short by Fulaman198(m): 7:11pm On Oct 04, 2013
shymexx:

The Dinka's are also extremely tall, but I doubt they're taller than the Tutsi's on average. Most of these researches are done by just picking random people and the average height of the Dinka's according to the people carrying out the research keeps fluctuating every year. The Tutsi's are called, the fallen angels a la Nephilim - that's how tall they're.

Moreover, I doubt their height has anything to milk intake. I believe it has more to do with genetics and probably their environment and food. Dinka's are a pastoral group and they do eat a lot of beef and grains. Same with all the tall groups in the Sahel region. Also, countries like Greece, Switzerland, Lithuania, Romania and Albania where the people consume a lot of milk on the average - the people aren't that up on the list posted on this thread.

To your earlier posts:

I think Yoruba's don't drink that much milk but they might be the group with the highest proportion of extremely tall people in Nigeria per ratio on the average being that most of all the tallest Nigerian basketball players are Yoruba's - from Hakeem Olajuwon, to Yinka Dare, to Olumide Oyedeji, to Solomon Alabi, to Michael Olowokandi, to Yiannis Antetokounmpo (Adetokunbo). And the two tallest boxers of Nigerian origin - Henry Akinwande and James Oyebola. And also all the extremely tall Nigerians (above 6'4) that I've met are all Yoruba's.Most of these people were born and raised in Nigeria, except Yiannis Antetokounmpo and Henry Akinwande who was born in London but raised in Nigeria. However, the average height of Yoruba males shouldn't be more than 5'7/5'8. I've lived here all my life and the UK has a large Yoruba/Nigeria community, but I've never met any Yoruba/Nigerian born and raised here that's above 6'7 - NEVER. Despite all the milk intake. Even the only extremely tall Nigerian that I went to uni with, was born and raised in Nigeria.

I can't really say much about Fulani's and Hausa's because I've only met a few Fulani's, and I doubt I've met anyone that's Hausa. However, most of the Fulani's that I've met are 6'0/6'1. So it might be that everyone from your tribe are averagely 6'0 and above.

The non-nomadic Fulani are on average 6'0 and above. The Nomadic Fulani are on average 6'2" and above. Some of them reaching heights of 7 feet tall or more.
Re: The Average Nigerian Is Short by Fulaman198(m): 7:14pm On Oct 04, 2013
Abagworo:

The tallest Igbos are from Northeastern Abia area. Ie Ohafia and Isuikwuato axis. IMHO Senegal and Mali should be higher than this so-called average. I've never met any one from both countries less than 6foot. The average height of Southern Nigeria is lower than the North.

Everything you say here is very true, you have to remember I feel that Senegalese, Malians, Northern Nigerians, Southern Sudanese all have similar Sahelian genetics, thus the height difference. Senegambians like you said are very tall (all groups are, Serer, Wolof and Mande). I too have never seen a Senegambian that is less than 6 feet. I do not believe these averages posted by the West for 1 kobo.
Re: The Average Nigerian Is Short by Fulaman198(m): 7:15pm On Oct 04, 2013
shymexx:

I think the research might be flawed. Personally, I believe East Europeans from Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia etc. and Iceland have the tallest people on the average. And I agree with you about Senegal and Mali.

I still don't know how Ghana, Japan, Chile, Paraguay, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Mexico, Iraq, South Korea got above Nigeria - with Nigeria competing with North Korea, India, Vietnam etc.. All these countries have extremely short people on the average. And Ghanaians aren't even tall. I've never met any Ghanaian that's taller than me and I'm 6'2. Also, I don't know how Jamaica got so high on that list since the average Jamaican isn't taller than the average Nigerian.

So it might be Nigerian women because most of them are from 5'5 down - or they just did a research on a few random people and posted it. And since most third world countries don't have a database - I doubt the list is a real representation of people.

Anyway, if the list is for real, then I should be towering above everyone when I touch-down in naija soon. grin cool

No bro, that "research" listed both men and women and said our men are on average shorter than 5'5". I don't even think I've ever seen a Nigerian that short. Shortest I have seen is like 5'7" with the exception of some midgets. But 5'7/5'8 isn't even short really it's avg height.
Re: The Average Nigerian Is Short by sherlock229(m): 4:43pm On Dec 12, 2022
Yorubas are the tallest Nigerians,not counting Fulani, Nigeria is viewed as short cos of other tribes bringing down the statistics.
Honestly it should be like
Fulani(nomads)
Yoruba
Hausas/Igbos
The rest>>>

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop Oro Festival, Ikorodu Residents Cry / Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS / 8. Odu Okanran Meji- Be Ready To Take Up Challenges.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.