Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Obi On A Spending Spree - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi On A Spending Spree (2800 Views)

Mdas Spending Spree, Does Buhari Know? / Gov. Elect Abiola Ajimobi's Daughter, Bisola On Spending Spree! / Amnesty Bazaar: Militants On Spending Spree! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi On A Spending Spree by geeez: 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2013
Donates N1bn to Public-Private Secondary Schools

Source: Channels TV
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Ngwakwe: 7:47pm On Oct 03, 2013
This is why I was asking the other day what Ogun State Tax Collectors were doing at Living Faith mission schools.

The government should provide free books and other school materials for Nigerian /State citizens attending those schools.

geeez: Donates N1bn to Public-Private Secondary Schools

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by geeez: 7:51pm On Oct 03, 2013
AWKA—GOVERNOR Peter Obi of Anambra State yesterday in Awka handed cheques totaling N1 billion to Principals of secondary schools in the state for the renovation and equipping of their laboratories and libraries.
Each secondary school received N2 million which the governor said, is part of the final push to upgrade the infrastructure in all public and missionary schools in the state.
Obi announced at the ceremony attended by school children and their teachers, as well as traditional rulers and leaders of thought in the state, that the 2000 teachers to be employed for the secondary schools this year would be in the core subjects of English, mathematics, sciences and Igbo, adding that the teachers would be adequately trained both locally and abroad to equip them properly to enable them impart the right knowledge to the students.
Yesterday’s event came barely ten days after the governor presented cheques of N1.5 billion for the rehabilitation of primary schools returned to the Churches; N2b for rehabilitation of primary schools owned by government and N3 billion to selected missionary hospitals to upgrade their facilities to enable them secure accreditation.
Obi said the funds being disbursed were part of the N40b his government would commit in the next six months into various sectors as final push towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals, MDG.
According to him, the money came as a result of savings, prudent management of resources and unprecedented support the state enjoys from development partners, adding that his administration has not borrowed money to execute any project.
He also said that the state government had already procured 500 buses from local manufacturers, Coscharis Group and Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company to be distributed to both public and private schools.
Other things he said would be provided to secondary schools before the end of the year include, 25,000 laptops installed with full school syllables and books, generators, sick bays and internet connectivity.
Obi said the decision to accommodate all schools irrespective of their owners was because they were training Anambra children.
He said that he was encouraged because the massive support he gave to schools in the past had manifested in the improved academic performance of the schools in the state and reminded the people that the only way to sustain the revolution going would be for them to vote in a credible and  clear-headed candidate during the governorship election.
Though most of the schools received buses from the state government about four years ago, Obi said one vehicle is inadequate for moving students to functions whenever the need arose, adding that it was for that reason that all schools would be given another set of buses.
Other programmes mapped out for schools by the state government include provision of internet services, easy access to sick bay for the students, upgrading of Microsoft computer services and purchase of generating sets for all schools.
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Ngwakwe: 7:54pm On Oct 03, 2013
On a serious note, Geeez, you don't entertain any criticism of South West Government in any thread but here you are posting about Peter Obi's donations.

Be rest assured that South East Nairalanders will be divided on the correctness of this gesture. While others will view it as political.

geeez: Donates N1bn to Public-Private Secondary Schools

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by cashkid18(m): 8:00pm On Oct 03, 2013
gud to hear dt..lets hope dt d moni will nt change hands
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by geeez: 8:01pm On Oct 03, 2013
Ngwakwe: On a serious note, Geeez, you don't entertain any criticism of South West Government in any thread but here you are posting about Peter Obi's donations.

Be rest assured that South East Nairalanders will be divided on the correctness of this gesture. While others will view it as political.

Investing in education is laudable

Especially at such a time as this

Thumbs up Obi
grin

2 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by ACM10: 8:16pm On Oct 03, 2013
geeez:

Thumbs up Obi
grin

Obi has been spending on education since time immemorial. Check his spending records. It is you that is seeing politics behind the move. Why can't you fvck off from Anambra local politics. I've told your folk that the best they could do for Ngige is to offer him support from behind. Any overt attempt by Yorubas to support Ngige in this election season will surely backfire.

3 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by ChimaAdeoye: 8:16pm On Oct 03, 2013
geeez:

Thumbs up Obi
grin

Which one have you invested in yorubaland?The same exact people demolishing schools to build Tinubu mall in a rural capital? Who will buy those expensive goods in the mall? Babalawos or yoruba primary school teachers?

It is well documented in NL that you are a rabid Igbo hater. So wetin concern you? Unless of course you somehow think in your demented mind that the more projects he abandons, the worse off it will be for the Igbos.
Take your advise and shove it in your a.rse. Your type who must tell Igbos what is good for them is the worst type of tribal e.diots on NL

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by geeez: 8:26pm On Oct 03, 2013
Chima_Adeoye:

Which one have you invested in yorubaland?The same exact people demolishing schools to build Tinubu mall in a rural capital? Who will buy those expensive goods in the mall? Babalawos or yoruba primary school teachers?

It is well documented in NL that you are a rabid Igbo hater. So wetin concern you? Unless of course you somehow think in your demented mind that the more projects he abandons, the worse off it will be for the Igbos.
Take your advise and shove it in your a.rse. Your type who must tell Igbos what is good for them is the worst type of tribal e.diots on NL

Shoprite opened in Enugu over two years ago and still remains the only one in the SE and it's struggling to stay open

Shoprite opened in Ibadan less than 6 months ago and plans to open another one before the end of this year

The Osun you're comparing to Anambra makes N1.6bn in IGR while Anambra makes N450m. Only a little above a quarter of what Osun makes

10 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Ikengawo: 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2013
The Economics Of ShopRite In Abia

Posted by: Channels Television Posted date: April 22, 2013

The recent foundation laying ceremony of the Abia Mall, at the old Garki area of Umuahia, has led to appreciable excitement among residents of the state; especially as Africa’s biggest retailer, ShopRite, is touted as one of the partners of the project.

The state government entered a strategic partnership with Pall Mall which involves a joint funding of the project to achieve its set objectives. In a recent interview, Governor Theodore Orji confirmed that the state government has paid its own part of the funding. “ShopRite is coming to Abia State,” he said. “We have completed everything, paid our own counterpart funding to them and it is left for them to come onboard.”
This development, according to analysts, is a major significant socio-economic gain for the hitherto under-developed state. In terms of direct and indirect employment, this project when completed stands to significantly depopulate the labour market in Abia State and convince hesitant investors to take the plunge.

Samuel Eke, a financial analyst, commends the state government for proactively engaging the retail giant and fast-tracking talks to get to this stage. “Last year, ShopRite announced that it would be investing N32 billion on property developments in Nigeria to overcome lack of infrastructure and capitalise on rising consumer spending,” he said. “Responsible state governments took note of this and began to put in place incentives to attract the retail giant.

For Abia, it is indeed a coup to have secured this partnership as apart from Enugu, the retail giant is not present in any other South-Eastern state in the country. I must commend Governor Theodore Orji for taking this step and ensuring that speed is of importance. If this tempo is sustained, we may see the mall commissioned soon. The benefits of this development to residents of Umuahia and indeed surrounding towns cannot be over-emphasised.”

ShopRite operates a policy of augmenting dependence on international suppliers by sourcing, promoting and procuring local products. In Abia, local industries thrive and have gained increased visibility in recent times. Some of the entrepreneurs are looking forward to possible partnerships with the retail giant.

Ndidi Achonu operates a small factory inside the Aba Leather Cluster zone where African-themed shoes and handbags are produced. “I relocated to Abia from China with my husband in 2009 to start this and I can sincerely say that there are no regrets,” she said. “Things were tough initially but I am gradually making an impact here and can now boast of seven employees. If ShopRite comes to this state, I will certainly explore ways of taking this business to the next level because I am confident that my products will make their shelves.”

A survey of 700 consumers conducted by Business Day Nigeria during October 2012 found that while price was still crucial to the Nigerian consumer, health considerations were becoming more important. 50% of respondents said that they read the labels of packaged food and beverage products before purchasing them. 39% said that they would like to see more nutritional information, including calorie counts, on restaurant menus.

In an era of more sophisticated Nigerian consumers, the development also comes as a relief to residents of Abia, a state notorious for counterfeiting of high-target brands. “For me, I consider this one of the state government’s recent economic initiatives that has really tricked down to the people,” said Ifeyinwa Obodo, a civil servant in the state. “To be able to go to a shop where you have the peace of mind that everything there is guaranteed and you have the luxury of options is a very welcome development. I urge the state government to hasten work on the site so that this can be opened soon. I thank Governor Theodore Orji for making this dream come true.”
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/04/22/the-economics-of-shoprite-in-abia/
Written by

Vincent Amolo

South African retail chain, Shoprite has entered Anambra State in South East, Nigeria as it moves to open for business in many parts of the state, beginning with Onitsha, the state’s commercial capital.

Anambra is the fourth state Shoprite is opening shop in after Lagos, Kwara and Enugu.

Peter Obi, the Anambra State governor, laid the foundation in Onitsha recently for the construction of the shopping mall that is estimated to cost about $30 million.

The mall which will be sitting on 15,000 squares of land will be located beside the Onitsha Hotel and Convention Centre with enough space for the level of commercial activities the mall will expectedly attract.

Shoprite is expected to serve as the anchor tenant in the mall.

The project, according to a source close to the state government, is a joint venture between African Capital Alliance, a private equity firm, and the state government under the public private partnership (PPP) arrangement.

Governor Obi explained that the project was in line with his commitment to the transformation of Anambra State, which, according to him, included returning Onitsha to its past glory as the number one commercial city in Nigeria, hosting the biggest market in West Africa.

The Governor promised to provide facilities to boost activities in the area, including dualisation of Park Road, the entrance into the complex.

Obi said that the foundation for two of such malls would also be laid in Awka and Nnewi.

http://thebusinessdispatch.com/shoprite-enters-anambra-as-obi-lays-foundation-for-30m-mall/admin

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/markets/companies-and-market/51160-shoprite-enters-anambra-as-obi-lays-foundation-for-30m-mall

2 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Abagworo(m): 10:29pm On Oct 03, 2013
If this title is changed to Rochas, I'm sure many Igbo bigots will realize how silly the idea of giving out cash to schools is.

6 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 03, 2013
Abagworo: If this title is changed to Rochas, I'm sure many Igbo bigots will realize how silly the idea of giving out cash to schools is.

Sometimes I wonder if you're truly ibo! I don't envy you.

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
Obi donated 58 brand new cars to 58 magistrate judges in Anambra state, ABS News tonight.....Obi in the mood of disbursing cash and material gift.. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Ojiofor: 11:46pm On Oct 03, 2013
django1:

Does his name sound Igbo to you?

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Abagworo(m): 1:15am On Oct 04, 2013
django1:

I'm Igbo but I believe my point in this context is well understood by the targets.
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Ikengawo: 1:19am On Oct 04, 2013
Abagworo: If this title is changed to Rochas, I'm sure many Igbo bigots will realize how silly the idea of giving out cash to schools is.

i think it's completely moronic because they'll just pocket the money. It's a bribe for election support
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by biafranqueen: 2:38am On Oct 04, 2013
Ikengawo:

i think it's completely moronic because they'll just pocket the money. It's a bribe for election support

Then we should check all the schools that receive the funds and find out if the principles did what they are suppose too.
Nigerians have to be more responsible. We have to stop being lazy and follow up to make sure they do what they are suppose too. Or should he give the money to fake Chiefs acting like Igwe's?
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by biafranqueen: 2:43am On Oct 04, 2013
After here we will proceed to Okija shrine.

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by biafranqueen: 2:44am On Oct 04, 2013
Look at Peter Obi's spending spree building a New Hotel that is already employing locals

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by biafranqueen: 3:31am On Oct 04, 2013
Spending on

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Sloan: 3:41am On Oct 04, 2013
Ikengawo: The Economics Of ShopRite In Abia

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/04/22/the-economics-of-shoprite-in-abia/
Written by

Vincent Amolo

South African retail chain, Shoprite has entered Anambra State in South East, Nigeria as it moves to open for business in many parts of the state, beginning with Onitsha, the state’s commercial capital.

http://thebusinessdispatch.com/shoprite-enters-anambra-as-obi-lays-foundation-for-30m-mall/admin

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/markets/companies-and-market/51160-shoprite-enters-anambra-as-obi-lays-foundation-for-30m-mall

You are celebrating Shoprite now that they are promising to open in Anambra but you were crying about how foreign companies are taking away all the money in Nigeria because they opened in Ibadan and are prepping up for another outlet within 6 months. Is that not hypocrisy? It's bad when they open in Yorubaland but angelic when it is iboland?? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by otokx(m): 4:04am On Oct 04, 2013
Most of that money will be stolen or and wasted, why did he not have the ministry of Education deliver the exercise and text books straight to the students? Looks like election things.

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by geeez: 6:05am On Oct 04, 2013
How impressive?

Just three months to the expiration of his tenure

I've studied Nigerian politicians long enough to know what these mean but I could be wrong

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by bestman09(m): 6:19am On Oct 04, 2013
otokx: Most of that money will be stolen or and wasted, why did he not have the ministry of Education deliver the exercise and text books straight to the students? Looks like election things.
geeez: How impressive?

Just three months to the expiration of his tenure

I've studied Nigerian politicians long enough to know what these mean but I could be wrong

Peter Obi has always been dealing directly with the people when it comes to development. It is not about politics. When a model school was built in my town, the money was given to a committee, headed by the Town Union President, the headmaster, PTA chairman and 5 other members of the community and was supervised by the Igwe and all the account of how the money was spent was rendered to the people during the August meeting of that year. This is the best way to work for a community and schools. No kickbacks or bribe. No middle man. No delay by a contractor. No lobbying.

2 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Clerverly: 7:32am On Oct 04, 2013
Cluelessness at its peak. Smh!
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Ngwakwe: 7:56am On Oct 04, 2013
I have been trailing you to see if there is any evidence of your Igboness.

You vigorously defend Aregbasola and other South West with combative comments while abusing Igbo forumites but have never in your life say any good about your acclaimed homeland.

What a shame.

Clerverly: Cluelessness at its peak. Smh!
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by ChinoIsBack: 8:11am On Oct 04, 2013
django1:

I think say na only me been dey seeing the clown.. cool
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by ChinoIsBack: 8:14am On Oct 04, 2013
[s]
Ikengawo:

[/s]

TRASH!

How did you come about that? I am on the ground and am seeing the positive effects of the investments in education in Anambra cities, town and communities..

It is paying off heavily even in the high ranking academic performance of Anambra students..
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by ChinoIsBack: 8:35am On Oct 04, 2013
geeez:

Shoprite opened in Enugu over two years ago and still remains the only one in the SE and it's struggling to stay open

Shoprite opened in Ibadan less than 6 months ago and plans to open another one before the end of this year

The Osun you're comparing to Anambra makes N1.6bn in IGR while Anambra makes N450m. Only a little above a quarter of what Osun makes

Stop peddling this lies. Is it the same newspaper generated IGR by Oshun state..lmao

I bet you, a small town as Ekwulobia generates more IGR than entire oshun state, what then happens when we join other major cities in the Anambra state? So take chill pill..
Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 04, 2013
No doubt the tempo the of donation has increased in the last few months but Peter Obi is notorious for such donations. Peter Obi believe in giving the funds for executing certain category of projects DIRECTLY to beneficiaries, thereby bypassing middle-men and politicians. Good or bad, that is his own way of curbing corruption.

Check out some of the donations in the past (at least the reported ones):
1. Obi donates N200m to hospitals, schools
March 1, 2013
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/obi-donates-n200m-to-hospitals-schools/

2. Peter Obi donates more funds to missionary schools (with pictures)
31 October 2012
http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/100922/1/governor-peter-obi-reached-out-to-revive-schools.html

3. Peter Obi donates to missionary school (with pictures)
Jan 12, 2013.
https://www.nairaland.com/1160516/pix-governor-obi-gives-n20million#13805194

4. Nigeria: Obi Donates N10.5 Million to Ihiala Hospital
15 February 2010
http://allafrica.com/stories/201002170582.html?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DPeter%2BObi%2Bdonates%2Bcheque%2Bschool%2Bmissionary%2Bhospitals%2B2010%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26tbm%3D&mstac=0

And what is wrong with increasing the tempo of work to win the hearts of more electorates going into the November elections? As far as I'm concerned, that is the BEAUTY OF DEMOCRACY and dividends of free and fair elections. Free and fair elections pushes everyone to go the extra-mile to win votes legitimately.

2 Likes

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by Clerverly: 9:18am On Oct 04, 2013
Ngwakwe: I have been trailing you to see if there is any evidence of your Igboness.

You vigorously defend Aregbasola and other South West with combative comments while abusing Igbo forumites but have never in your life say any good about your acclaimed homeland.

What a shame.

Thank you. To answer you, I am a complete Igbo man and also a partisan being. I am unapologetic member of the All Progressive Congress, who hates PDP and anything or body that associates with it. And it behoves on me to defend my party and its actions irrespective of the region or states it is represented. I defend Aregbesola, fashola, and other APC goons the same way I defend Okorocha, Ngige, Ogbonnaya Onu, and other South Eastern progressives.
About Igbo bashing- I bet you have not been following me, I systematically and tactically avoid any thread that harps or degenerates into ethnic bashing cos I am too big for that. But whenever it comes to political idealogy or strategy, I go with the south west ofcourse.
Reason;
Politically,
They are modern,
Sophisticated,
Dependable,
Progressive,
Courageous,
And ofcourse consistent with their thought.

And it is my wish, we the igbos copy this part of their character and do away with others we found irritating. So next time, you see Cleverly post anything here, do the needful and be guided.

On a lighter note, I thought deeper life people don't follow politics. tongue

1 Like

Re: Obi On A Spending Spree by waternogetenemy: 9:25am On Oct 04, 2013
Clerverly:

Thank you. To answer you, I am a complete Igbo man and also a partisan being. I am unapologetic member of the All Progressive Congress, who hates PDP and anything or body that associates with it. And it behoves on me to defend my party and its actions irrespective of the region or states it is represented. I defend Aregbesola, fashola, and other APC goons the same way I defend Okorocha, Ngige, Ogbonnaya Onu, and other South Eastern progressives.
About Igbo bashing- I bet you have not been following me, I systematically and tactically avoid any thread that harps or degenerates into ethnic bashing cos I am too big for that. But whenever it comes to political idealogy or strategy, I go with the south west ofcourse.
Reason;
Politically,
They are modern,
Sophisticated,
Dependable,
Progressive,
Courageous,
And ofcourse consistent with their thought.

And it is my wish, we the igbos copy this part of their character and do away with others we found irritating. So next time, you see Cleverly post anything here, do the needful and be guided.

On a lighter note, I thought deeper life people don't follow politics. tongue

You are a bonafide Yoruba, just stop the falsehood before i reveal your actual Monica. wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Omisore Petitions INEC / What Is The Content Of The Ifeajuna's Manuscript Like? And Why Its Secrecy? / Ekiti People Are Regretting Electing Fayose – Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.