Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,253 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem (1145 Views)

Ten Steps To Better Self-esteem / Building Self Esteem In Our Children / Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by kflexxy(m): 11:28am On Oct 04, 2013
A Few Helpful Tips to Gaining Self Confidence and Improving Oneself

Lack of self-esteem definitely hinders a person from achieving his dreams. A person with poor self-esteem would likely lose job opportunities and experience strains in his personal relationships. For instance, you might have the right skills to get your dream job, but if you have low self-esteem you would likely stutter and feel anxious in the job interview.
Unfortunately, the company wouldn't make a correct assessment of your skills and would instead hire somebody who is not necessarily better than you.
Luckily, building self-esteem is not an impossible deed. Here are 4 easy steps that can change your outlook in life.
Step 1: Assess yourself and be honest in doing so
Nobody is perfect, and you will definitely make mistakes, but sometimes you could be a bit harsh to yourself. Even so, you can improve yourself and surpass past errors. Whenever you feel that void in self-esteem, do some self assessment and make a list of actions that you think you did wrong. On the other side of that list, write the actions that you should have done. Make those positive actions your goals. So each time you encounter similar experiences, you would know what to do.
Step 2: Like and believe in yourself
Each human being has his talents and strengths, and you are not exempt from this general rule. Don't ever think that you're talentless, or you're not good at anything. Revisit your past and think of moments when you stood out and amazed everyone. Remember what you felt during those times, and bear in mind that you can repeat those feats. Each time you feel down and hopeless, think of those moments. If you were able to impress your peers before, you can definitely do so again.
Step 3: Listen to others but never let them make you feel less
Listening to the opinion of others is important. If others make reasonable comments on your work or performance, list them down and use them to improve yourself. But there are some instances when some people go nasty and want to put you down. Don't allow them to do so. Borrowing the words of Katy Perry, you're a champion so make them hear you roar!
Step 4: Improve your physical appearance, and dress your best
Looking better can help in building self-esteem. If you're somewhat out of shape, try working out to look better. Also, do your best to wear clothes that suit you. If you look great, people would likely have a better opinion of you. Judging a person by his or her looks isn't fair, but people are usually attracted by good looks. If you look better, you would probably feel better as well.
Do these steps every day, and don't give up on yourself
Building self-esteem is a long process because you can't change yourself in a day. Nevertheless, that shouldn't discourage you. Remember the things you did in a day and take note of your successes and failures. Highlight your triumphs, and take note of your mistakes. When you address your weaknesses and overcome them, you would become better and grow stronger.
Repeat the steps previously mentioned, and do so every day. Before going to sleep, stand in front of the mirror and proudly state your daily triumphs while promising that you'll be better in addressing your lapses. By doing these little steps persistently, your view of yourself will gradually improve.

View Other Related Articles Here: Building Self Confidence

2 Likes

Re: 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
Good one.
Re: 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by mspee(f): 10:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
Nice write-up, thanks!
Re: 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by kflexxy(m): 8:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
ms_pee: Nice write-up, thanks!

U r Welcome..
Re: 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by tpia5: 12:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
Low self esteem is a big problem around these parts.
Re: 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by Kanwulia: 12:38pm On Dec 15, 2013
Pamper yourself! kiss
Learn to love and cherish your ALONE TIME!!!!! kiss

I have NEVER had such issues! My father taught us how to love ourselves FIRST, before others! kiss
The happiest times in my life are WHEN I AM ALONE!!!! cool
I LOOOOOOOVE MY SPACE AND I CAN'T STAND CROWDS!!!! kiss
I never crave for companionship and I DO NOT ALLOW PEOPLE IN MY HOME!!!!

Never been gregarious, PEOPLE IRRITATE AND BORE ME!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: 4 Effective Steps To Building Self-esteem by tpia5: 4:12am On Dec 17, 2013
building self esteem does not mean attacking and nagging everybody in sight due to pent up issues from long ago.

Having self esteem involves knowing when to gracefully let others have the floor. It takes nothing away from you.

(1) (Reply)

At What Age Is It Ideal For An Only Child To Get Married? / Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly / How Many Couples can Do This At Their Age?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.