Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? (4006 Views)

5 Things Nigeria Is Best Known For Around The World / “i’m Too Big For Such” – Ekiti PDP Chieftain Rejects Fayose’s Appointment / What Is Imo State Best Known For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Afam4eva(m): 7:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
I've been ruminating as to why a country with a supposed population of over 150 million is not known for anything positive. I'm not even here to discuss or espouse the negatives. I really want to know why we're not even known as a country that makes chewing stick or groundnut or even dunlop slippers. Even some countries with a few million people are known for something.

Brazil is a country that's a little more populated than Nigeria but it's known for a lot of things. First and Foremost, when Football(Soccer) is mentioned, the first country that comes to mind is Brazil. Football is like a religion in Brazil and Brazilians follow this sport religiously and they're known all over the world for it. Football is to Brazil as Kung Fu is to China. It's that synonymous. Brazil is also known for it's wonderful beaches and drop dead gorgeous females and gallivant the beautiful beach side of Copacabana and other famous beaches in Rio De janeiro and all over Brazil and this has endeared this country as one of the top tourism destinations in the world.

Jamaica is a country of over 2 million people which is probably the size of the smallest state out of the 36 states and FCT that we have yet this very small country is know first and foremost for the Ragae Genre or music and Bob Marley is the face of the music and is known all over the world. This same small country has now replaced the USA to become the sprint champions. Whenever you think of the sprints, you think Jamaica with the likes of Usain Bolt and Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce. Jamaica is also known as a tourist destination just like it's Caribbean neighbors.

Finland: if not for anything, Finland is known for the Nokia brand.

Australia: the most popular shoe polish in the world or at least in Nigeria is Kiwi. This brand originates from Australia and when you think about Australia apart from it's advancement in other fields, this name will come to mind.

Kenya: Even here in Africa, we have countries like Kenya that are known for their wildlife reserves and they get millions of tourist year in year out from it.

Great Britain is known for it's Monarchical institution and it has created a brand out of the royal family of which the Queen is the head and the Queen is respected all over the world and she's even the head of a handful of countries.

South Africa is the most advanced country in Africa but let's not dwell on that. This country if not for anything is known for Mandela, a Nobelk prize for peace winner and one of the most respected statesmen living or dead.

Mexico is known for Coffee and Tequilla if not anything.

India is known for it's tradition and religion and recently in the field of medicine and ICT, it's recognized the world over.

I hereby ask again, what is Nigeria known for? Our number one sports in football and one will think that since we've spend a lot of time and resources on this one sport that we're supposed to have probably won the world cup but no. if not that we just recently won the African cup of Nations, our football was recently at it's lowest ebb and it's a shame for a country that has football as it's national sports.

Why don't we try to carve a niche for ourselves and be known for one thing good. I mean, just one thing. It's a shame of a country this big not to be recognized for anything positive no matter how minute but is recognized in a lot of negative vices.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by donphilopus: 8:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
If not that you said positive thing, i would have said Corruption
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Civory(m): 8:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
You have not ruminated well enough if not you would have known that Nigerians are known for their resilience and strong determination and patience and I think those are marvelous qualities too
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Afam4eva(m): 8:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
Civory: You have not ruminated well enough if not you would have known that Nigerians are known for their resilience and strong determination and patience and I think those are marvelous qualities too
Resillience and strong determination that hasn't produced results for the country. This is obviously a farce.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by oderemo(m): 8:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
Big for nothing, uhh, my take is corruption.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by autofreak2020(m): 8:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
come on Afam, we are known for importing religion into our country, repackage it and send out of our shore to get innocent rip-off their hard earned money. Infact, we deserve a special federal and state ministry of religion, Ashimolowo na baba.
Religion sells more than many things in our country both muslims and christians.
We bottle religion
Wrap religon
Seal religion
And transport it all over places and wait for profit.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Acidosis(m): 8:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
Atleast the richest black man on earth, Aliko Dangote is from Nigeria.

How about Religion? (T.B Joshua for instance) May be you don't know, (virtually all the nations on earth is represented in SCOAN, Lagos).

Infact, th S.Africa you mentioned value that man more than any one on Nairaland.

and did I also tell you that, some of the things you listed sound new to some?

You may not see the good things cos you choose not to see anything good about Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Acidosis(m): 8:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
auto_freak2020: come on Afam, we are known for importing religion into our country, repackage it and send out of our shore to get innocent rip-off their hard earned money. Infact, we deserve a special federal and state ministry of religion, Ashimolowo na baba.
Religion sells more than many things in our country both muslims and christians.
We bottle religion
Wrap religon
Seal religion
And transport it all over places and wait for profit.

Yes...

Mention one country that have no regard for Religion?

May be I should start by giving you names of American and German Men of God that pulls crowd more than your entire local government (population).
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by onila(f): 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2013
hardworking, highly educated people

the most educated immigrants in America are Nigerians

apart from Sports and music what are Jamaicans known for
a drug ridden island, a haven of thieves
oh pls
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Afam4eva(m): 8:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
onila: hardworking, highly educated people

oh pls
Nigeria is not the only country with hardworking and highly educated people. Are NIgerians more educated than South Africans or Ghanians?

I never said countries like Jamaica don't have their downside. I was referring to positives and they're known for their Music and their prowess in sports.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by biafranqueen: 8:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
onila: hardworking, highly educated people

oh pls
did you know the purchasing power is $9,000 compared to Nigeria 2,000 that tourism employees 1 out of 4 people and is a billion dollar business that white people flock too year in and year out. If it is a drug ridden island we should be ashamed of ourselves because it is cleaner then Nigeria, I have seen the beauty of that island with my own eyes.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by redsun(m): 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Nigeria is not the only country with hardworking and highly educated people. Are NIgerians more educated than South Africans or Ghanians?

I never said countries like Jamaica don't have their downside. I was referring to positives and they're known for their Music and their prowess in sports.

What is the point of education if one's country is unhealthy and they are running away from it to take shelter in another man's umbrella?

Education is knowledge and knowledge is power and opulence,not miseries and stagnancy.Nigerians are not educated,that is why they are suffering.They are just schooled like zombies to read,write and photocopy.Same things real chimps can be taught to do in the laboratories.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by malc619(m): 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
Nairaland!!!

That's what our country is known for...

grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
Civory: You have not ruminated well enough if not you would have known that Nigerians are known for their resilience and strong determination and patience and I think those are marvelous qualities too

Acidosis: Atleast the richest black man on earth, Aliko Dangote is from Nigeria.

How about Religion? (T.B Joshua for instance) May be you don't know, (virtually all the nations on earth is represented in SCOAN, Lagos).

Infact, th S.Africa you mentioned value that man more than any one on Nairaland.

and did I also tell you that, some of the things you listed sound new to some?

You may not see the good things cos you choose not to see anything good about Nigeria.

i support u my bro..

I tink we all nid to try lukin at d positive side of tinzz...
D problem is dat 9jarians are great outside Nigeria..d land is lackin suitable nutrients dat enhances national growth..though wit tym tinz wil get better..

Now @ afam..4giv my divertion..but wht av u contributed to d national growth of Nigeria..dnt jux stp at complainin..i tagg dis FRUSTRATION
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by donphilopus: 8:53pm On Oct 05, 2013
You said is Nigeria big for nothing?
I'd say No because, when it comes to area sq. Km
Algeria is 2381741 sq. Km and they are known to be average at Football.
While,
Chad about 1284000 sq. Km is known for Crisis.
Egypt 1001449 sq. Km is also known for African Football.
Ethiopia 1221900 sq. Km, i don't really know what they are known for.
Libya 1759540 sq. Km, which is known for Crisis and may be Petrol.
Mali 1240000 sq. Km also known for Crisis.
Mauritania 1030700 sq. Km, i don't know what they are known for.
Niger bunch of Terrorists.
South Africa 1221037 sq. Km known for Gold, and atleast Best 5 Universities in Africa are there.
Sudan 2505813 sq. Km Largest country in Africa when it comes to Land area, known for Terrorism.
Tanzania 945087 sq. Km, known for nothing.
Zaire 2348409 sq. Km, known for nothing.
The above are African countries that are bigger than Nigeria when it comes to Land, but in population none of them is up to Nigeria, we are not the only big for nothing country. You can see most of them are big when it comes to land, but they are not known in any way, and most of them are known for negaive things like Terrorism.
Nigeria is approximately 923768 sq. Km known for Crude Oil even if our Leaders are the one benefitting from the money, and we're now trying in Football and Education.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Acidosis(m): 8:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
I hate it when people try to fault our stagnancy and backwardness on the fact that we are religious... It sounds s¡lly and immature for an adult to fault his poverty on the fact that there are churches everywhere...

Let me educate your folly (to whom it may concern)

Korea, despite the development in the nation...

A Korean preacher, Rev. Dr. David Yonggi Cho has one of the largest (single) congregation in the whole world (1,000,000 at a single meeting) & 50million members in 60 countries! With seven Sunday services translated into 16 languages!

Infact his church is situated directly opposite the South Korean National Assembly!

Some of you displaying your f0lly about religion would assume Korea is full of atheist.. and as such a reason for their fast development grin
Lol.. ignorance dey kill sha..

Pastor Adeboye never even build church near Lagos Assembly, some folly-attracted individuals wants the church on Lagos Ibadan road to be demolished so we can "grow" grin

Growth kor, Grownt ni..

You all had better go and deliver yourselves from backwardness...

Religion is never/is not/and will never be a cause/curse...

We are our own problems..

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by honeric01(m): 8:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
When you find one, let me know!
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by biafranqueen: 9:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
We are known on a positive note as the most populace country in the world, The richest African as was noted. In America we are known as hard working and successful. In California Nollywood is becoming very popular and watched by African Americans, Caribbean's and other pple of color
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by EKONGKING: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
This thread make me feel goosebumps . I agree 100% with op
except for oil and population there is nothing international community is positive with nigeria.
we need leaders . but sadly this thread will progress into either GEJ OR Others. Forgetting our past 40 years of history , where
we will easily forget for past leaders and put entire blame on GEJ
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by biafranqueen: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
donphilopus: You said is Nigeria big for nothing?
I'd say No because, when it comes to area sq. Km
Algeria is 2381741 sq. Km and they are known to be average at Football.
While,
Chad about 1284000 sq. Km is known for Crisis.
Egypt 1001449 sq. Km is also known for African Football.
Ethiopia 1221900 sq. Km, i don't really know what they are known for.
Libya 1759540 sq. Km, which is known for Crisis and may be Petrol.
Mali 1240000 sq. Km also known for Crisis.
Mauritania 1030700 sq. Km, i don't know what they are known for.
Niger bunch of Terrorists.
South Africa 1221037 sq. Km known for Gold, and atleast Best 5 Universities in Africa are there.
Sudan 2505813 sq. Km Largest country in Africa when it comes to Land area, known for Terrorism.
Tanzania 945087 sq. Km, known for nothing.
Zaire 2348409 sq. Km, known for nothing.
The above are African countries that are bigger than Nigeria when it comes to Land, but in population none of them is up to Nigeria, we are not the only big for nothing country. You can see most of them are big when it comes to land, but they are not known in any way, and most of them are known for negaive things like Terrorism.
Nigeria is approximately 923768 sq. Km is known for Oil even if our Leaders are the one benefitting from the money, and we're now trying in Football and Education.
during the Ghana must go era it was thought that the foreigners were the ones messing up the country that is why he cleared them out. I believe that 80 % of the terrorist are from countries like Chad Niger etc
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
Its a mixture, the negatives out-weigh the positives. some positives are

Fastest growing economy not only in West Africa, but in Africa as a whole. we are soon to take over from SA

Biggest oil producer in West Africa and one of the largest in the World

Richest black man, West Africa's tallest building, largest library in West Africa ( UNN grin) etc

Negatives--
Most populous black nation with stark poverty

Most corrupt Nation and gov't with poor infrastructure

No statistics on unemployment which is reasonably on the high side

Every region has its armed militants/militia/terrorist group holding the government hostage. Alot bro, alot
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
Acidosis: I hate it when people try to fault our stagnancy and backwardness on the fact that we are religious... It sounds s¡lly and immature for an adult to fault his poverty on the fact that there are churches everywhere...

Let me educate your folly (to whom it may concern)

Korea, despite the development in the nation...

A Korean preacher, Rev. Dr. David Yonggi Cho has one of the largest (single) congregation in the whole world (1,000,000 at a single meeting) & 50million members in 60 countries! With seven Sunday services translated into 16 languages!

Infact his church is situated directly opposite the South Korean National Assembly!

Some of you displaying your f0lly about religion would assume Korea is full of atheist.. and as such a reason for their fast development grin
Lol.. ignorance dey kill sha..

Pastor Adeboye never even build church near Lagos Assembly, some folly-attracted individuals wants the church on Lagos Ibadan road to be demolished so we can "grow" grin

Growth kor, Grownt ni..

You all had better go and deliver yourselves from backwardness...

Religion is never/is not/and will never be a cause/curse...

We are our own problems..

How many churches are in Korea and how many per individual compared to Nigeria?
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by donphilopus: 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
biafranqueen: during the Ghana must go era it was thought that the foreigners were the ones messing up the country that is why he cleared them out. I believe that 80 % of the terrorist are from countries like Chad Niger etc
Chad, Sudan, Niger, etc

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
biafranqueen: during the Ghana must go era it was thought that the foreigners were the ones messing up the country that is why he cleared them out. I believe that 80 % of the terrorist are from countries like Chad Niger etc

**operation Ghana-must-go**..dis was a blessin in disguise 4Ghanians..only dat other 9ja neighbous are yet to learn frm dis..

Ghana's development is d solution 2Nigeria's problem..

Reason:we drove dem nd others away..hence dey had no option than 2develop their own country.. I think Nigerians in diaspora shld cum home nd develop 9ja..

N.b:dnt even think of drivin Nigerians cux dey will alwayzz fnd a way 2stay..

**operation 9jas must cum bck**

KingMEXX: Its a mixture, the negatives out-weigh the positives. some positives are

Fastest growing economy not only in West Africa, but in Africa as a whole. we are soon to take over from SA

Richest black man, West Africa's tallest building, largest library in West Africa ( UNN grin) etc

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by macof(m): 10:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
The reason Nigeria is not known for anything is because we are not unified. If u said positive facts of "Yoruba" or Hausa, Igbo u would have a full page with one post.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by DankemzI(m): 10:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
KingMEXX: Its a mixture, the negatives out-weigh the positives. some positives are

Negatives--
Most populous black nation with stark poverty

Most corrupt Nation and gov't with poor infrastructure

No statistics on unemployment which is reasonably on the high side

Every region has its armed militants/militia/terrorist group holding the government hostage. Alot bro, alot

When Malaysia's oil palm is mentioned, reference is always made of Nigeria we gave em our heritage

Kano ==>> Worlds largest grower of groundnut.

South Western Nigeria ==>> Recently emerged second largest grower of... Was it cocoa??
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Afam4eva(m): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
Some people don't get the drift. Nobody is talking of how educated Nigerians are how Nigeria is the most developing country bla bla bla. I'm not talking about growth or development indices. We're simply talking of what positive thing people remember when they hear NIGERIA.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by SIRcumalot: 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
Am sure we have the Highest number of Churches anywhere in the world
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Afam4eva(m): 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
Am sure we have the Highest number of Churches anywhere in the world
It's possible. But do people all over the world associate Nigeria with churches? I doubt that very much.
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by SIRcumalot: 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's possible. But do people all over the world associate Nigeria with churches? I doubt that very much.
That monthly pastor chris book is a big hit and is transcribe to many languages and A particular church that broadcast on TV dedicate a portion of its airtime to foreigners from s other countries who found Christ and attends said church and this are just the ones I know
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 05, 2013
Afam4eva:

Afam4eva: Some people don't get the drift. Nobody is talking of how educated Nigerians are how Nigeria is the most developing country bla bla bla. I'm not talking about growth or development indices. We're simply talking of what positive thing people remember when they hear NIGERIA.

ur ansa: Giant of Africa..**whc eva way u c it** NIGERIA nd NIGERIANS is/are UNIQUE..
Re: What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? by Tuntheycr7: 11:28pm On Oct 05, 2013
Naija is blessed wt dynamic individuals.
At least we de represent 4 everywia on dis planet. Na water pass our garri.
God bless naija.
Am proud 2b a naija

(1) (2) (Reply)

G15 Assures Jonathan Of Minimum Of 4M Votes From SW / Faithill Prophetic Assembly Prophecies / Buhari Beats Atiku In Kaduna State-the Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.