Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Onitsha International Airport? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha International Airport? (11056 Views)

Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt International Airport - Photos / MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Where Is Gej's Enugu "International Airport"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by AZeD1(m): 10:20pm On Dec 06, 2013
Its funny how people think building an airport or stadium translates to development. Anambra does not need an airport nor a stadium. Nigeria is under developed because people do business with emotions and not their brains.
Several points i'd like to state here
1) A good intra city transportation network will develop Anambra state and any other state in Nigeria than an airport would.
2) No airport is Nigeria would survive without government funding which adds to our very large recurrent expenditure.
3) Locally, MMA2 is the busiest airport and it has not recorded a profit yet. Remember it is private owned so there's no government bureaucracy. That's the reason why Bi-courtney is in court against the opening of the general aviation terminal.
4)Recent report in the US shows 45% percent of Airport revenue is generated from non aeronautical services. In Nigeria, you can scale down that to less than 10%.

In a nutshell, i'd rather land in Asaba and drive 30 minutes to do business in a well planned and constructed city than land in Anambra and do business in a city with terrible infrastructure.

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-do-airports-generate-money-new-study-shows-nearly-half-comes-non-aeronautical-sources-1474992

1 Like

Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
A-ZeD:
Its funny how people think building an airport or stadium translates to development. Anambra does not need an airport nor a stadium. Nigeria is under developed because people do business with emotions and not their brains.
Several points i'd like to state here
1) A good intra city transportation network will develop Anambra state and any other state in Nigeria than an airport would.
2) No airport is Nigeria would survive without government funding which adds to our very large recurrent expenditure.
3) Locally, MMA2 is the busiest airport and it has not recorded a profit yet. Remember it is private owned so there's no government bureaucracy. That's the reason why Bi-courtney is in court against the opening of the general aviation terminal.
4)Recent report in the US shows 45% percent of Airport revenue is generated from non aeronautical services. In Nigeria, you can scale down that to less than 10%.

In a nutshell, i'd rather land in Asaba and drive 30 minutes to do business in a well planned and constructed city than land in Anambra and do business in a city with terrible infrastructure.

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-do-airports-generate-money-new-study-shows-nearly-half-comes-non-aeronautical-sources-1474992

you are assuming that Asaba is an international airport, not a local one
because i would take an international airport anyday over any infrastructure
you need international access to bring world class development to any city
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by AZeD1(m): 10:27pm On Dec 06, 2013
Oh and for the record, the money spent in building Asaba, Jigawa, Gombe and all those useless airports and stadium would have built world class hospitals/ infrastructures which would have greatly benefited the various states more than this airport will ever do.

PS: Nobody moves to city because of an airport but people move because of access to quality health care, education, security et al.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
A-ZeD:
Oh and for the record, the money spent in building Asaba, Jigawa, Gombe and all those useless airports and stadium would have built world class hospitals/ infrastructures which would have greatly benefited the various states more than this airport will ever do.

PS: Nobody moves to city because of an airport but people move because of access to quality health care, education, security et al.

it is a lie to say that nobody moves to a city because of an airport -[size=16pt]an international airport yes they do![/size]
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
local airports are useless to much of SE
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by AZeD1(m): 10:31pm On Dec 06, 2013
re@lchange:

you are assuming that Asaba is an international airport, not a local one
because i would take an international airport anyday over any infrastructure
you need international access to bring world class development to any city
Just to disprove the bold part, Ikeja is closer to the airport in Lagos than Ikoyi/Lekki and VI and those places are more than 30 minutes away from the airport but hasn't made the 'rich' people move in Lagos move to Ikeja.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by AZeD1(m): 10:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
re@lchange:

it is a lie to say that nobody moves to a city because of an airport -[size=16pt]an international airport yes they do![/size]
yeah the only people that move are those that work in the airport.

PS: The majority of the Oil in Nigeria is in the Niger Delta but the expatriates are more in Lagos
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
A-ZeD:

yeah the only people that move are those that work in the airport.

no, you don't understand, probably because you have never moved anywhere in the world
if you have, the first question you ask yourself before going there is "how fast can i get out of there?"
most investors ask that question before going to any country
any region that has international airport access, has faster access to foreign investors
and even foreign ideas that transform cities and countries
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 06, 2013
when ojukwu was sick, the fact that enugu international airport was close by helped his quick evacuation to treatment overseas
most international business people would want such quick in and out access
the SE has lagged other regions in international investment mainly because of that
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by AZeD1(m): 11:02pm On Dec 06, 2013
re@lchange:
when ojukwu was sick, the fact that enugu international airport was close by helped his quick evacuation to treatment overseas
most international business people would want such quick in and out access
the SE has lagged other regions in international investment mainly because of that
If the Airport money was used to build a good hospital would there have been any need to fly Ojukwu for treatment? Now Ojukwu is one person. Think of the millions of people who cannot afford to be flown out?

re@lchange:

no, you don't understand, probably because you have never moved anywhere in the world
if you have, the first question you ask yourself before going there is "how fast can i get out of there?"
most investors ask that question before going to any country
any region that has international airport access, has faster access to foreign investors
and even foreign ideas that transform cities and countries
Asaba is 30 minutes in a car, it would be 10 with high speed rail.

Wall street is 32 minutes from JFK airport same time from Asaba to Onitsha. You want to tell me why a state should spend scarce resources on something it doesn't really need?
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by rafindo(m): 11:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
Gowon it will never be good for u.if east regional integration is feasible then asaba airport should be part of the greater onitsha metropolitan area.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2013
rafindo: Gowon it will never be good for u.if east regional integration is feasible then asaba airport should be part of the greater onitsha metropolitan area.
I just heard that Delta State is going to up-grade Osubi Airport Warri to a full international Airport.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestviewer: 9:53am On Dec 21, 2013
A-ZeD:

If the Airport money was used to build a good hospital would there have been any need to fly Ojukwu for treatment? Now Ojukwu is one person. Think of the millions of people who cannot afford to be flown out?

Asaba is 30 minutes in a car, it would be 10 with high speed rail.

Wall street is 32 minutes from JFK airport same time from Asaba to Onitsha. You want to tell me why a state should spend scarce resources on something it doesn't really need?

Are you from Anambra? How do you know what we need most? How do you know our scale of preference?

Well I have good and bad news for you depending on how you view it, Anambra Int'l Cargo/Passenger airport has been approved by FG for immediate construction. The site has since been acquired, compensation paid and secure by Obi. The airport when completed will be 20mins to Onitsha, 30mins to Awka and 50mins to Nnewi.

Delta cannot build airport hoping to tap from human and capital resources from another neighbor state. They should have sought for what would be good for their own people instead of engaging in an unnecessary white-elephant project.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
I will keep saying it,airport is not the most important thing we need right now. Let's get done with our MDGs,firstly. By the way,Asaba airport is about twenty minutes away from my town,Umuoji. Let's focus on education,works and housing,youth and sports,health,industrialization,employement and agriculture,for now. Obi has done excellently well and we must continue working from where he stopped to finish the MDGs. Anambra isn't yet uhuru and airport is not our need. Ekwusigo m' ka ora m'. Olisa dube umu Omanbala.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:56pm On Dec 21, 2013
redsquare: Yeah, don't know why Peter Obi relocated the site of the airport from Oba to another location.

Oba is too close to Onitsha and Onitsha is already congested. The decision was probably based on safety reasons. Moreso,we are trying to open up the Otuocha Aguleri area. There is a plan in the pipeline to build a new city in that region. I think its a good idea. Remeber,Obi is trying to spread development all parts of Anambra. We musnt concentrate everythin in Onitsha and environs.

Ama na ibu onye Oba mana ayi ncha bu Umu-Omanbala. Onye aghana nwannie.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by bestviewer: 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
Nri-priest, nwanne kedu ije..?

As for the airport, if there is anything Anambra needs most now, its the airport. I am happy and appreciate the progress already recorded in that regard.

The full execution of the airport project should dominate Obiano's first 6months. The good news is that Obi has got the FG approval and secured the site at Otuocha.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 9:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
bestviewer: Nri-priest, nwanne kedu ije..?

As for the airport, if there is anything Anambra needs most now, its the airport. I am happy and appreciate the progress already recorded in that regard.

The full execution of the airport project should dominate Obiano's first 6months. The good news is that Obi has got the FG approval and secured the site at Otuocha.
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by ifebosco: 12:02am On Dec 22, 2013
no wáter,no electricity,no health care ,no security,and now the fools want elephant projects of billions to siphone money my igbo brothers with airport,please airport is not development
Re: Onitsha International Airport? by investnow2013: 11:10pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pharaoh9: where d site dey now?
Umuleri

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Amaechi To Sue Justice Okoro Over Bribery Allegation / Gang-up Against Obasa: His Speakership Position Under Threat In Lagos / Al-Qaeda Suspect Lawal Babafemi To Be Extradited To The U.S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.