Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up (3731 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Scooping Petrol: Fire Service Cautions Against It / Jonathan Cautions Against Threat To Peace In Guinea Bissau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Menendez: 7:41am On Oct 07, 2013
THE British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr. Andrew Pocock, at the weekend in Lagos, admonished Nigerians not to contemplate disintegration as the nation arrives at the milestone of 100 years of amalgamation, noting that there are great benefits in staying together as one united country.
He said Nigeria had grown since its foundation and nobody should think of pulling out of the union. “It has grown in terms of its population, economy, regional, continental and global impact. So, I think it is not right to say that Nigeria hasn’t grown, and it is still growing economically. I think if Nigeria can pull together and stay as one united country, which it has every prospect of doing, the future is good.”
Pocock said whether the British did the right thing by amalgamating the northern and southern Nigeria was a decision that Nigerians should make, looking back at their own history.
According to him, without amalgamation, Nigeria would not have been the international force it is today, “So, it was the right thing to do then.”
Attempting to enumerate the achievements that Nigeria should be celebrating within this period of 100 years of amalgamation, the British envoy said “it is the giant of the region and it is the giant of the continent and I think it is quite enough to celebrate.”
He said he was not aware of the clause in the instrument that legitimised the amalgamation, which gives liberty to any section that is not satisfied with the union to pull out of the country after 100 years of its existence.
“I have no idea whether that clause exists and that is really a decision for Nigerians and not for the British government. I do not think that the British government has any authority on this; it is a matter very much for Nigerians to decide. But with 100 years to celebrate, I think, one should look towards more positive outcome in the future,” Pocock said.
The envoy was in Lagos to attend the Eagle Toastmasters Club Speech Contest with the theme: Nigeria at 100; Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, at Eko Hotels.
He told The Guardian that he had just been introduced to toastmasters and it struck them as a very worthy and important organisation to deal with.
Twelve contestants from a pool of almost 400 Toastmasters in 15 clubs around Nigeria earned a chance to compete in the Toastmasters international speech contest. Mr. Patrick Oluyide came first to take home the trophy for best speaker and by extension, brought pride to their club.

2 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Emperor007: 7:43am On Oct 07, 2013
We decide how we want to live, he's not one to decide for us.

2 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 07, 2013
Brb
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by waternogetenemy: 7:47am On Oct 07, 2013
May almighty God punish him. Dat is all i can say.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 07, 2013
Everyone is clamoring for this Breakup, it makes me wonder if this is really going to happen.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Bigcake: 7:55am On Oct 07, 2013
Dis white dude always tink we r foools, let him go back to Belgium for all i care. Or can still go back to England for all he cares.

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Bigcake: 7:58am On Oct 07, 2013
As for me i want the break up. Let '' The People's Republic of Niger Delta'' spring up. Lets use our oil money and turn d place to Dubai. If u r for Nigeria's break-up like dis post.

13 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by iterator25: 7:59am On Oct 07, 2013
Let them break it...Nobody will tell them to integrate back... they think they'd survive in isolation.. lolz
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by ogb5(m): 8:00am On Oct 07, 2013
Giant of Africa indeed, where some people slaughter others up close like rams.

Please we want to live in peace, breakup the nation, if some one with his cows come from bornu to kill another person in Ibadan, it will be treated as external aggression and well responded to

2 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by geeez: 8:04am On Oct 07, 2013
Hey Andrew, even Benin Republic, as small as it is, has grown in population as well as economically and it's still growing

You've not addressed reasons why the Yorubas should remain in the union

Are Yorubas safe in the North? Are they welcome in the East?

Every nation will grow but the question is at what rate considering the capacity it has.

The Western Region as well as other regions were growing faster than Nigeria is growing now so what's the fuss about?

3 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 07, 2013
This unholy and unreproductive marriage isn't by force. British has no right to interfere in this matter. They have done their part in giving us independence and it ends just there. Cautioning against break up is none of their business. angry

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by ogb5(m): 8:13am On Oct 07, 2013
Why don't the british admit for once that they made a mistake in the amalgamation.

Even marriages built on mutual love breakdown and the couples go for divorce, not to talk of a forced and abusive marriage.

Anyway the british know that a divided Nigeria will be more prosperous as each unit will sit down and seriously plan her development knowing there is no one else to blame for her failure. The greatness of the breakup units is what the british are afraid of, there will be no more dumping ground for british goods in a prosperous region.

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by VirginFinder: 8:17am On Oct 07, 2013
These Brits are here again...

The current contraption benefits them the most.

Gosh!

2 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by tomakint: 8:17am On Oct 07, 2013
May Holy Ghost Fire strike you Dr Andrew for that wicked outburst from you undecided did I hear you say there is benefit in staying together? For 99+ years of our 'unholy amalgamation' your demonic brothers and sisters forced on us we've never had peace unlike the relative peace we enjoyed before your 'forced marriage' on us! Now we are ready to chart a new course you better stay out of this you pest!

2 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 07, 2013
Menendez: THE British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr. Andrew Pocock, at the weekend in Lagos, admonished Nigerians not to contemplate disintegration as the nation arrives at the milestone of 100 years of amalgamation, noting that there are great benefits in staying together as one united country.
He said Nigeria had grown since its foundation and nobody should think of pulling out of the union. “It has grown in terms of its population, economy, regional, continental and global impact. So, I think it is not right to say that Nigeria hasn’t grown, and it is still growing economically. I think if Nigeria can pull together and stay as one united country, which it has every prospect of doing, the future is good.”
Pocock said whether the British did the right thing by amalgamating the northern and southern Nigeria was a decision that Nigerians should make, looking back at their own history.
According to him, without amalgamation, Nigeria would not have been the international force it is today, “So, it was the right thing to do then.”
Attempting to enumerate the achievements that Nigeria should be celebrating within this period of 100 years of amalgamation, the British envoy said “it is the giant of the region and it is the giant of the continent and I think it is quite enough to celebrate.”
He said he was not aware of the clause in the instrument that legitimised the amalgamation, which gives liberty to any section that is not satisfied with the union to pull out of the country after 100 years of its existence.
“I have no idea whether that clause exists and that is really a decision for Nigerians and not for the British government. I do not think that the British government has any authority on this; it is a matter very much for Nigerians to decide. But with 100 years to celebrate, I think, one should look towards more positive outcome in the future,” Pocock said.
The envoy was in Lagos to attend the Eagle Toastmasters Club Speech Contest with the theme: Nigeria at 100; Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, at Eko Hotels.
He told The Guardian that he had just been introduced to toastmasters and it struck them as a very worthy and important organisation to deal with.
Twelve contestants from a pool of almost 400 Toastmasters in 15 clubs around Nigeria earned a chance to compete in the Toastmasters international speech contest. Mr. Patrick Oluyide came first to take home the trophy for best speaker and by extension, brought pride to their club.
How can I continue bearing the same name 'Nigerian' with people that cut human head in the name of religion God purnish you Poocock or whatever your name is for opening that stinky hole inbetween your face to utter rubbish undecided

4 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by dBard: 8:28am On Oct 07, 2013
The man is on point.
Nigeria will not ve bin where it is today..a force within Africa n d world if not f d blessing of d amalgamation..n no single region in dis country will b able t achieve that alone.
Its time we start celebrating our diversity n focus on how we can bring our individual strengths t bear on d collective progress of dis Great country.

I Love My Country Nigeria

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 07, 2013
Why won't these people just leave us be! For Gods sake Nigeria is not an unbreakable taboo. This unholy union is a disservice/impediment to each component unity. Instead of progressing, Nigeria is retrogressing. So can someone ask this man what he personally stand to lose when Nigeria disintegrate? If nothing then he should hold his breathe to cool his own tea and leave Nigerian to determime their own destiny.

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by SonOfEl(m): 8:50am On Oct 07, 2013
dBard: The man is on point.
Nigeria will not ve bin where it is today..a force within Africa n d world if not f d blessing of d amalgamation..n no single region in dis country will b able t achieve that alone.
Its time we start celebrating our diversity n focus on how we can bring our individual strengths t bear on d collective progress of dis Great country.

I Love My Country Nigeria

israel, france, japan, uae, england,etc. These are small but mighty nations. Who cares about population and landmass?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:56am On Oct 07, 2013
Bigcake: As for me i want the break up. Let '' The People's Republic of Niger Delta'' spring up. Lets use our oil money and turn d place to Dubai. If u r for Nigeria's break-up like dis post.
i biliv u dnt speak for all other sensible Niger Deltans cos u are a dunce!

Is it people as dull as u that will govern the place and turn it to dubai?

If ND wanted to turn to dubai, it wldav! If not for ur corrupt officials who kept eating ur allocated wealth and giving u false stories and reasons to shout 'oyel money' all over the town!

The truth remains, if people like u are not made to face firing squad for gross stup!dity, then u are still on ut way back to the days where leaves were considered as clothes!

Like ur post ko, diactivate ur account ni undecided
Gross moronic infected entity!

3 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by dridowu: 9:34am On Oct 07, 2013
Amalgation ? Yet will still dy under british rules indirectly
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by IGBOSON1: 9:40am On Oct 07, 2013
Emperor_007: We decide how we want to live, he's not one to decide for us.

^^^Why doesn't he mind his freaking business? How does he think Scotland would like it if our High Commissioner over there lectures them on why they ought to be a part of Great Britain?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by ikeyman00(m): 9:47am On Oct 07, 2013
@@@

yes we agree so long as the right thing is allowed to be done

that should be directed to the northern elites with their brother from the south

so the british shouldn't be playing double standard here
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by gerald09(m): 9:49am On Oct 07, 2013
eddiebruk: Everyone is clamoring for this Breakup, it makes me wonder if this is really going to happen.
Of course its not gonna happen, dividing Nigeria is not simple, since Nigerians don't care wat Nigerians want, its d international bodies dat will determine if Nigeria will break up. I just fink the worst dat will happen is power will be giving to states and LG and d FG will have 20% authority. Dats d absolute worst dat can happen.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 07, 2013
[quote
author=geeez]Hey Andrew, even Benin Republic, as small as it is, has
grown in population as well as economically and it's still growing

You've not addressed reasons why the Yorubas should remain in the union

Are Yorubas safe in the North? Are they welcome in the East?

Every nation will grow but the question is at what rate considering the
capacity it has.

The Western Region as well as other regions were growing faster than
Nigeria is growing now so what's the fuss about?
[/quote]

Igbos $ Yorubas are vry different from d blood-thirsty hausa/fulani. We may quarell nd throw insults bt never run around killing ppl nd dsstroying properties.

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 07, 2013
gerald09:
Of course its not gonna happen, dividing Nigeria is not simple, since Nigerians don't care wat Nigerians want, its d international bodies dat will determine if Nigeria will break up. I just fink the worst dat will happen is power will be giving to states and LG and d FG will have 20% authority. Dats d absolute worst dat can happen.

But giving the FG %20 power is as good as not having no FG at all, because as it is now the FG doesn't even have any impact in Individual states, if they do things wouldn't have been as complicated as it is, The only reason why FG still looks important is because of some arms of Government that are still under them in different states, if the power in such arms are taken from FG and handed over to state the FG is as good as paralyzed
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Wsdm: 10:02am On Oct 07, 2013
Bigcake: As for me i want the break up. Let '' The People's Republic of Niger Delta'' spring up. Lets use our oil money and turn d place to Dubai. If u r for Nigeria's break-up like dis post.
If all the allocations through NDDC, MINISTRY OF NIGER DELTA, AMNESTY MONEY,13% derivation, lopsided ministerial appointees, official oil theft, and the president from that region have not transformed you to even Togo, let us see how you will be transformed to Ghana at the long run.
Tell us what you truly want. Is it separation or Jonathan's misrule beyond 2015. It is as if you people are talking of separation only when Jonathan is most likely going home by 2015. Are you trying to use one burner to cook two pots at thesame time?
The high commissioner has just spoken his own feelings, say your own without insulting him.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 07, 2013
Stupid man. What's his business, if not that the idiots are gaining from the failure of Nigeria, same idiots imposed hausas on us. Useless man what's his business

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Lordave: 10:05am On Oct 07, 2013
They don't have a say

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lol Ikwerre Too Sabi Scam / BREAKING NEWS:- Chadian Forces On The Verge Of Retaking Damask. / Throwback Photo: Alh(dr) Yusuf Maitama Sule When He Was Young

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.